Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Though obviously the best dingoes eating babies joke is the Simpsons episode where there's a Crash Bandicoot riooff called Dash Dingo where the main objective is to find and devour the seven crystal babies.

Far Side with the dingo farm next to the nursery. "Trouble Brewing"

Would be funnier if I could post it, but I'm pretty sure a goon would still report me in 2019 for disrespecting Gary Larson, the one copyright the internet cares about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Imagined posted:

Would be funnier if I could post it, but I'm pretty sure a goon would still report me in 2019 for disrespecting Gary Larson, the one copyright the internet cares about.

I'll have you know we also respect Calvin and Hobbes. :colbert:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Imagined posted:

I think they've died down on that because everytime I make a joke about his children I have to explain it later

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Imagined posted:

You mean post it... LIKE THIS!

Len posted:

I think they've died down on that because everytime I make a joke about his children I have to explain it later

Eat his children like a dingo ate that baby.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

You mean post it... LIKE THIS!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm riding the posting high. I'm living dangerous...and I like it!

Gordon Shumway
Jan 21, 2008

Krispy Wafer posted:

There is no US military because superheroes make them obsolete.

Edit: and aside from The Boys tie in, the military doesn’t seem to do anything in any of the Marvel movies. In Winter Soldier, Shield is planning on killing the President and apparently has no worries at all about getting their helocarriers nuked out of the sky. The VP is in on it, but I don’t think that would matter unless all the branches of the military were also Hydra plants.

From a couple pages ago, but I didn't see anyone mention it: they actually say in Agents of SHIELD that high level members of the U.S. military are actually HYDRA operatives. They even show a flashback where HYDRA operatives are getting their "placements" after completing their training, with Hale being assigned to the Air Force and Sitwell telling her that it's a good placement.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Voyager I posted:

This is actually one of my pet peeves from any kind of punchy action film. There's inevitably a scene that pits a light, nimble fighter up against some powerlifting muscle golem. During the fight, the big guy will get some kind of deathgrip on the smaller fighter, and then after a dramatically appropriate length of time they will throw them across the room or through a wall or something to demonstrate their incredible strength. The smaller fighter might be dazed for a beat, but they dust themselves off and the fight begins again on equal footing. If you ever get a hold on someone against whom you have a massive size and strength advantage, the last thing you're ever going to do is let them go!.

Well then watch Game of Throwns

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

It's really a shame GRRM never finished the last books and they had to stop making the show where the books ended. :colbert:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

FreudianSlippers posted:

It originates from an actual event in 1980 where some dingoes ate a baby, after snatching it from a tent, and the cops didn't believe the parents so they were arrested and charged with murder.

E:
Which you might've actually known and just thought Elaine was jokingly referencing a two month old getting torn asunder by wild dogs and not referencing a Meryl Streep performance. Which would've been dark even for Seinfeld.

My assumption until I read that was she was just making an absurd joke about how "extreme" australia is like people on the internet do a lot lately where they act like you are mobbed with deadly animals the instant you step outside (and inside the spiders get you).

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The GoT tv show exists purely for GRRM to test out the ending he wanted to write, but was afraid of its critical reception.

Now he has to spend another 12 years to come up with something even worse.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

GRRM knows everyone wants him to hurry up and finish those goddamn books so he spent 2 years writing a 700 page book in the GoT universe about all the history of everything before GoT happened. Magnificent.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The GoT tv show exists purely for GRRM to test out the ending he wanted to write, but was afraid of its critical reception.

Now he has to spend another 12 years to come up with something even worse.

Hahaha, twelve years

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Imagined posted:

I'm watching the Rifftrax for 'Highlander' right now, so let's go for Cwistopher Lamberth as a Scot in a movie where Sean Connery plays an Egyptian via Spain.

That's just what aliens from the Planet Zeist sound like!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Davros1 posted:

That's just what aliens from the Planet Zeist sound like!

TIL I need to see the director's cut of Highlander II, where apparently they cut out ALL references to the Immortals being aliens. It's irritating that the movie got any sequels at all, since Connor Macleod wins The Prize in the first movie, but I'm still looking forward to John Wick-guy's reboot.

I've always thought Highlander would make a great prestige TV miniseries reboot, too. Especially playing up the tragedy angle of immortal friends who will eventually be forced to fight each other, because there can be only one.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 19:47 on Aug 9, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

oldpainless posted:

GRRM knows everyone wants him to hurry up and finish those goddamn books so he spent 2 years writing a 700 page book in the GoT universe about all the history of everything before GoT happened. Magnificent.

Stephen King did something very similar but he at least followed through and completed the series in the end.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
It's a shame that Game of Thrones is so bad.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Ugh Game of Groans.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Imagined posted:

It's really a shame GRRM never finished the last books and they had to stop making the show where the books ended. :colbert:

HBO finished the books he will never write.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

End Trip:

Skulls do not work like they do in the Walking Dead. You cannot just calmly insert a steak knife into a man's skull as if you're dunking it into some butter. I do not know the force and quality of knife required to go hilt-deep through the side of an adult skull, but I would put my money on "a lot more than that".

also I'm very much not a fan of the style where they keep cutting between the present and the past. I prefer my lovely horror movies to at least be linear...it's hard enough to pay attention to them without them making me go "wait, is this the past or present?" every 5 minutes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Diehard fans genuinely don't care about them AFAICT. We are much mroe likely to argue for not another loving origin story than 'please show us how $next_spiderman became spiderman and who his uncle was who said the thing'.

We already know who the characters are and how they came to be who they are. W e wanna watch them kick rear end.

Yeah, I say that but I'm fine with them for new characters like GoTG and Doctor Strange and all but drat you if I have to see how Uncle Ben dies this time or the Wayne Family dies now.

Wouldn't it be some poo poo if they make a new Superman movie and it's 70 minutes of Krypton and once it explodes we flash forward to the future and all he does is nudge someone's car off the curb?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I say that but I'm fine with them for new characters like GoTG and Doctor Strange and all but drat you if I have to see how Uncle Ben dies this time or the Wayne Family dies now.

Wouldn't it be some poo poo if they make a new Superman movie and it's 70 minutes of Krypton and once it explodes we flash forward to the future and all he does is nudge someone's car off the curb?

Even for those, I don't think the origin stories are useful any more. GotG didn't need to tell us why Groot is Groot or why Rocket is a raccoon, or why Quill has jet boots, or why... etc. They just were, and people were perfectly OK with that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Morpheus posted:

Ugh Game of Groans.

Shame of imo

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

yeah I eat rear end posted:

also I'm very much not a fan of the style where they keep cutting between the present and the past. I prefer my lovely horror movies to at least be linear...it's hard enough to pay attention to them without them making me go "wait, is this the past or present?" every 5 minutes.

Trick is to take note of the visual shorthand they use. Maybe the protagonist has a beard in the present but is clean shaven in the past, or their hand is gone, there's always a thing & they spend a bunch of early scenes doing clever cuts so you can see the difference.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

Trick is to take note of the visual shorthand they use. Maybe the protagonist has a beard in the present but is clean shaven in the past, or their hand is gone, there's always a thing.

It wasn't too hard once I realized that the present guy was the bad guy in post-stealing the not-uber driver's identity and copying his hairstyle and stealing his clothes post-murder. I still don't like it. You know where the story is building toward and it just makes me wonder why i'm watching.

Also he didn't even really try the "i'm your boyfriend, you just don't recognize me because you hit your head (please ignore that I bashed it)" story. That can make a decent movie (although it's been done before, see my previous irritations with Overboard). He just made her her favorite breakfast (kale omelette, after watching a youtube tutorial of how to make a kale omelette), claimed to be her boyfriend 100% for reals, and when she still didn't buy it he went full on crazy and handcuffed her to the table and started stabbing visitors through the skull. If you're going to doppleganger replace someone you've got to put more effort into it than that.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Aug 9, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol ok that sounds p bad

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

lol ok that sounds p bad

Yeah, I mean kale in an omelette? I can't think of anything worse.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pseudohog posted:

Yeah, I mean kale in an omelette? I can't think of anything worse.

It had avocado in it too. I don't recall that being in the tutorial though. And it wasn't really even "in" it. It was just kind of flopped on top. And it sat there for like 20 minutes, it must have been ice cold.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wtf kale is great. im actually visiting my folks tonight and my mom made frikadeller served on a bed of fried kale & onions, with potatos & béarnaise (not the powder poo poo, from roux). fuckin delicious.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Krankenstyle posted:

wtf kale is great. im actually visiting my folks tonight and my mom made frikadeller served on a bed of fried kale & onions, with potatos & béarnaise (not the powder poo poo, from roux). fuckin delicious.

Kale is OK, I wouldn't call it "delicious", but it certainly doesn't enhance an egg. At least use something flavorful like spinach+feta. A kale omelette just sounds like torture, especially if it's only egg whites.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

alright, egg whites + kale with avocado on top is not an omelet. idk what it is. the ingredients are good, but the dish is crap.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gksxu-yeWcU

Passengers would work a lot better as a horror film.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I can't say enough negative words about the movie "Everfall". It's so frustrating because it has a decent budget, it's well-made technically, but it's just trash, and not the good trash I thrive on. The main premise, owning some youtuber that cares more about "the likes" than his girlfriend is fine, but they do it in such a attempting to be profound way that it makes me angry. Just kill everyone off already, I can't take 20 more minutes of this.

and to think the main actress's main credit is being in Scary Movie 4. How far she has fallen.

e: and the thing ends up just being a hallucination. how creative. actually I don't even know anymore, who cares it's bad don't watch

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 00:26 on Aug 10, 2019

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oh yeah for an actual contribution to the thread, I watched Kursk with the folks. It's not bad, but they had the cliche where the protagonist has a pet name for his wife in like scene 2, and then at the very end, it comes up again, with an added flourish. It's so screenwriter, you can see it coming from 500 meters of arctic water away.

The other thing was that since the characters are all Russian, when it gets real dark for them, they bring out the vodka and party. It's a very Hollywood Russian thing to do, I'm sure real people in a similar situation would silently drink the vodka and sulk.

But it's actually a p dece film and Matthias Schoenaerts is born to play Putin in something in like 10-15 years.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

Oh yeah for an actual contribution to the thread, I watched Kursk with the folks. It's not bad, but they had the cliche where the protagonist has a pet name for his wife in like scene 2, and then at the very end, it comes up again, with an added flourish. It's so screenwriter, you can see it coming from 500 meters of arctic water away.

The other thing was that since the characters are all Russian, when it gets real dark for them, they bring out the vodka and party. It's a very Hollywood Russian thing to do, I'm sure real people in a similar situation would silently drink the vodka and sulk.

But it's actually a p dece film and Matthias Schoenaerts is born to play Putin in something in like 10-15 years.

The irrationally irritating thing to me about it was the intentionally weird aspect ratio at the beginning and end.

I love submarine movies. I'll watch just about any piece of poo poo sub movie. Like the one with Gerard Butler recently.

Have you watched The Wolf's Call yet? Supposed to be great.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Killers who are regular people but still kill people in costume. Do they just wear that stuff all day hoping someone stumbles across their wilderness lair?

4/20 Massacre has some guy in one of those suits that makes you look like you're wearing a bunch of twigs and leaves and he seems to just constantly be stalking around his weed fields.

also these people don't seem prepared for a weekend of wilderness camping at all. The clothes seem wrong, they can barely build a tent, they picked some desolate place to camp and seem to have only brought weed and beer. That's a decent skillset and inventory for camping in some drive-up camping place but they hiked into the wilderness for this. and th ey made their charcoal grill in a field full of dry straw just inches from the flames. By all means blaze it but try not to blaze the entire forest please.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

yeah I eat rear end posted:

also these people don't seem prepared for a weekend of wilderness camping at all. The clothes seem wrong, they can barely build a tent, they picked some desolate place to camp and seem to have only brought weed and beer. That's a decent skillset and inventory for camping in some drive-up camping place but they hiked into the wilderness for this. and th ey made their charcoal grill in a field full of dry straw just inches from the flames. By all means blaze it but try not to blaze the entire forest please.

This part I can believe. US Forest service rescues people just like this every week. If you read about wilderness deaths you'll hear some sad stories about people who like drove wayyyyyyy the gently caress out in the desert or whatever with like 20 ounces of water and no plan for if their car broke down or ran out of gas.

Imagined has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Aug 10, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

ok I can accept that, but not shoving a bong through the back of a girl's throat and taking a hit off of it. It would be too clogged with guts. This has stepped too far into the realm of the unreal.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

if this movie has taught me anything, it's "don't be high constantly if you're trying to murder campers". They somehow don't notice the girl is holding a 10 inchish knife in her hand while giving the dramatic speech asking if she's ready to die....disarm your victim entirely before giving your victory speech.

also the blunt was still lit enough for the protagonist to start smoking it again after being tossed into the forest floor for several minutes while she defeats the weed bad guys. Even if that was realistic, if you're covered in blood after killing a gang of drug growers, wouldn't your first reaction be getting back to civilization to call the cops and not getting high?

I also take issue with the movie tagline of "inhale. exhale. scream". The monster or killer never gives you time to exhale in these kind of movies. It is known.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Well, when you are in the grip of the reefer madness, you aren't gonna be bothered by some blood and guts.