Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
Mystic Remora also gets dinged by players who, looking at it, can suddenly only think of the aggro decks and/or value creatures their friends play. "But weakness!" is something casual players cling to like a life preserver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Devor posted:

That's why he went to Walmarts and Targets, because they don't give a drat. It's only your FLGS that knows that only the one deck will move.

I don't know about Walmart, but Target absolutely raises the price on the higher demand MtG items. I remember seeing them charging more for the C17 Vampire deck and Hazoret Aggro Challenger deck.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Devor posted:

That's why he went to Walmarts and Targets, because they don't give a drat. It's only your FLGS that knows that only the one deck will move.

maybe that works elsewhere, but in socal mtgfinance dudes literally wait for doors opening to pick those over. :shrug:

I stopped buying the EDH precons once my friends began building their own decks, but they were fun as battle boxes for a while.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Is there any particular reason Embodiment of Agonies treats split cards as a single card when determining unique casting costs? I could sworn it would treat them separately, but MTGArena says differently.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Froghammer posted:

Is there any particular reason Embodiment of Agonies treats split cards as a single card when determining unique casting costs? I could sworn it would treat them separately, but MTGArena says differently.

Back in Amonkhet they switched how split cards are seen outside of the stack. Now the CMC in other zones is always the combined CMC, period. Like, you can't put Fire//Ice on an Isochron Scepter anymore, for example.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Froghammer posted:

They changed this rule sometime between "cascading into broken split cards" was a thing and the launch of Arena. Now all split cards' CMC is = both sides added together.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Adlai Stevenson posted:

Back in Amonkhet they switched how split cards are seen outside of the stack. Now the CMC in other zones is always the combined CMC, period. Like, you can't put Fire//Ice on an Isochron Scepter anymore, for example.
RIP my weird dumb Research//Development on a stick deck.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Brain in Jar killed them. Getting the full beck//call for 1 mana was too good.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

DangerDongs posted:

Complaining about reprint value for intro decks for new players mainly aimed at creating new cards for a more casual format is exactly that post.

I also agree these decks look weak. I can't imagine a product that cost less than 50 being a serious big boy deck is legacy with fast mana format.

A few things:

1.) There's an enormous gap between 'kitchen table jank' and '$5,000 deck singleton Legacy'. You know this, everyone knows this, and pretending that cards can only be one or the other is being deliberately disingenuous, so cut it out.

2.) For me, at least, it's not even about the reprints - the new cards they're designing are largely tuned so low that even when the designs are interesting, the lackluster power level means they're unplayable in anything but the most casual of tables (which, again, does not mean I'm setting the bar at Food Chain Tazri or something). This is disappointing to me because I want more cool cards to play in Commander but these ones won't make it at any pod that understands the concept of mana efficiency.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Voyager I posted:

A few things:

1.) There's an enormous gap between 'kitchen table jank' and '$5,000 deck singleton Legacy'. You know this, everyone knows this, and pretending that cards can only be one or the other is being deliberately disingenuous, so cut it out.

2.) For me, at least, it's not even about the reprints - the new cards they're designing are largely tuned so low that even when the designs are interesting, the lackluster power level means they're unplayable in anything but the most casual of tables (which, again, does not mean I'm setting the bar at Food Chain Tazri or something). This is disappointing to me because I want more cool cards to play in Commander but these ones won't make it at any pod that understands the concept of mana efficiency.

This is a great point - there are fun cards with low ceilings and there are fun cards with high ceilings.

Printing a spell that proliferates once for 3 mana or a million times for a million mana is going to make only the most casual kitchen table players perk up.

But printing a low CC creature that makes anywhere from a few to dozens of mana presents an interesting new space at all levels of play.

Why not print more cards, especially in one of the few circumstances you can print for this format, that appeal to all levels of play?

This isn’t the “why isn’t ever card in standard modern playable”, this is “why can’t a commander set do more for commander”.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

I think part of the problem is that everyone has their own idea about what commander even is. Each chunk of the audience wants/is fine with different angles and power levels.

This year I had low standards for a new way to durdle and so I just want an Anje and a Grave Miser. And I'm sure in six months or so I'll look back at a few things from this release and wonder why I didn't want one sooner. It happens to me literally every year.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I've been playtesting an Anje build someone made that just stacks a bunch of worthless madness spells in for cycling purposes

It can, fairly consistently, get a Worldgorger Dragon Reanimator win on turn 3-4.

Anje is cool.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Framboise posted:

I've been playtesting an Anje build someone made that just stacks a bunch of worthless madness spells in for cycling purposes

It can, fairly consistently, get a Worldgorger Dragon Reanimator win on turn 3-4.

Anje is cool.

link por favor

I don't know if that combo is right for my group but I at least want to pick it over for ideas

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Adlai Stevenson posted:

link por favor

I don't know if that combo is right for my group but I at least want to pick it over for ideas

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/anje-filter/

Main wincons are WGD reanimator, draw deck and generate infinite mana, and wipe the table out with one of the X spells and Twinflame/Dualcaster Mage, and you can also set up WGD with Doomsday but tbh I feel that's too slow and risky.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Framboise posted:

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/anje-filter/

Main wincons are WGD reanimator, draw deck and generate infinite mana, and wipe the table out with one of the X spells and Twinflame/Dualcaster Mage, and you can also set up WGD with Doomsday but tbh I feel that's too slow and risky.

oohhh thank you

it's like the ideas I was having, except magnitudes better

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I had a jank as hell Naya tokens deck that didn't really go anywhere so the opportunity to pick up one to stuff fixed stuff into intrigues me.

Also I'm sure some stuff out of the jeskai deck would go nice in my RU Spells deck but we'll see.

beedub
Jul 21, 2003

Any recommendations on how to:
1)draft packs with 4 players
2) play cube with 4 players

I’ve done Winchester with 2 and that was fun, but it’d be very different with 4?

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

beedub posted:

I’ve done Winchester with 2 and that was fun, but it’d be very different with 4?

As someone who cubed a lot with four people until I made more friends (would recommend for cube purposes), we liked burn drafting the most. Basically you draft a card and then “burn” or remove from the draft x number of cards. This allows you to see a lot more cards and actually build archetypes and aggro instead of the midrange piles that drafting with fewer people often results in. For four people we usually did 9 packs of 15 cards each, pick one burn two. Here’s the thread where it got its start and more information: https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/the-cube-forum/568751-glimpse-burnfour-draft-thread-my-and-wtwlf123s

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2

beedub posted:

5 packs of 9 = 45 Cards still and generally keeps it flowing faster. You can also Rochester Draft if you wanted more skill.

I also recommend trying out some 2HG 2v2 to mix it up.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Friend of mine is hosting a limited tournament for some friends before moving and wanted suggestions on a prize for 1st place. Any suggestions not much more than $100? Wanted to keep it MTG themed.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Matching playmat, sleeves, deck box and life counter?

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Silhouette posted:

Matching playmat, sleeves, deck box and life counter?

Good idea.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Silhouette posted:

Matching anime playmat, sleeves, deck box and life counter?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Late but I get mad when new commanders are too safe, why does egg lady have only 3 toughness and takes 2 mana to make an egg?

Should've been 4 so she survives Lightning Bolt and 1 mana so it's less drat work.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Late but I get mad when new commanders are too safe, why does egg lady have only 3 toughness and takes 2 mana to make an egg?

Should've been 4 so she survives Lightning Bolt and 1 mana so it's less drat work.

Does anyone run Lightning Bolt in EDH?

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Silhouette posted:

Matching anime titty playmat, sleeves, deck box and life counter?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Sir, I will have you know, when anime is involved, the tiddy is always implied.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Some Numbers posted:

Does anyone run Lightning Bolt in EDH?

Well, I'd also like my own Anger of the Gods to not hit her. Red's board wipes are a lot better when they crack eggs and full-grown humans hatch.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
My draft deck tonight was 12.5% Murders. :black101:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Popped in to a Target and found Modern Horizon packs for $5 so I grabbed one and... and Urza and a foil Sunbaked Canyon.

Sometimes you play the lottery and win.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

beedub posted:

double decker draft! draft 6 boosters each, and take two picks at a time. when the draft is over build two decks with what you picked and assign them A and B, no sideboard. play A vs A and then B vs B. if you you're tied, you each pick which of your opponent's deck to play against

here it is in more detail

https://youtu.be/Tt6KreYKBbE

Tonde Mo Nai
Jul 9, 2005
my symbolism was stripped away long ago

Pontius Pilate posted:

As someone who cubed a lot with four people until I made more friends (would recommend for cube purposes), we liked burn drafting the most. Basically you draft a card and then “burn” or remove from the draft x number of cards. This allows you to see a lot more cards and actually build archetypes and aggro instead of the midrange piles that drafting with fewer people often results in. For four people we usually did 9 packs of 15 cards each, pick one burn two. Here’s the thread where it got its start and more information: https://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/the-cube-forum/568751-glimpse-burnfour-draft-thread-my-and-wtwlf123s

I’ll second this as a great way to do cube draft with fewer people. Was our favorite way to run cube with a small group before I stopped actually playing Magic but continued to read about it

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Well, I'd also like my own Anger of the Gods to not hit her. Red's board wipes are a lot better when they crack eggs and full-grown humans hatch.

Anger of the Gods is a nonbo with her anyways iirc, if it kills the eggs you don't get the ability because they exile.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sure, but consider the following.

Mirror Entity for 1.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Shortest Path posted:

Anger of the Gods is a nonbo with her anyways iirc, if it kills the eggs you don't get the ability because they exile.

Kozilek's return is the card you are looking for. Doesn't exile, does enough damage to smash the eggs, and doesn't kill the card itself.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

yeah man it's really unfair that you're forced to put Anger of the Gods into every deck, the rules committee really screwed up this time

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

rkajdi posted:

Kozilek's return is the card you are looking for. Doesn't exile, does enough damage to smash the eggs, and doesn't kill the card itself.

Flame Sweep is probably the best one, doesn't kill your own Birds of Paradise or whatever.

There's lots and lots of good 2 damage sweepers that can go in the deck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
pyroclasm is better than kozileks return if you don't care about the colorless clause

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

little munchkin posted:

pyroclasm is better than kozileks return if you don't care about the colorless clause

Sure but Kozilek's Return is instant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

Sure, but consider the following.

Mirror Entity for 1.

Mirror Entity for 0 seems better.