Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

aaahahahahahah oh my god lure them into a false sense of security by having no negative side effects on the first one, then let them get Hubristic.

merlins gonna merlin

Even better: Give it some *minor* positive side effects. Guy had glasses? Perfect vision now! Asthma? Gone! Once they've doubled souled a couple people... heh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Obviously the easy ("easy") way out would be getting the now-alive person kidnapped by the Gentry so they leave a fetch behind, then jamming the bonus soul into the fetch to make a real boy, then rescuing them from the Gentry. Definitely wouldn't cause any more problems.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I would not put it past them to try it again. At least one of them would have zero issues trying it to see if it was repeatable.

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Obviously the easy ("easy") way out would be getting the now-alive person kidnapped by the Gentry so they leave a fetch behind, then jamming the bonus soul into the fetch to make a real boy, then rescuing them from the Gentry. Definitely wouldn't cause any more problems.

This would be very easy, as they even have a Gentry who is currently very upset by them having assisted with stealing away one of the Gentry's favorite employees. But... I'm not sure we're up for spending another few sessions dealing with faeries. It would be extremely amusing to do this to them though.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

The wisest option would be to tag and release the spare soul, but these are PCs.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

EdithUpwards posted:

The wisest option would be to tag and release the spare soul, but these are PCs.

The wisest option is to keep it safe in a box until someone's soul gets eaten so you have a transplant without having to do a murder/rip out a soul.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Pretty hubristic to assume that you know what a soul's business is.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Jhet posted:

I could use some recommendations for reading about souls in 2e Chronicles, because I now have a very interesting thing that happened where one of the mages captured the soul of an NPC in a soul jar to keep them from dying and then another one of the mages shifting sands the scene back where the person did not die. So now I think I either have two souls, or there's a body without a soul in it (which is less interesting and fun because they expect that to be the answer).

I feel like playing up personal horror of having your soul in two places/having two souls could be done pretty well. They have frightening visions of being out of mind and body--of dying, no, wait, they're stuck in a jar now, but, except...but they're not, suddenly, as their sense of self is warped back and forth between two realities. The one they're in, and the alternate one erased, a mind-sucking sense of déjà vu that happens constantly. Brief, intense images of a future that didn't happen, never was. can't be. Perhaps it has the beneficial side-effect of letting them see the future in brief bursts, but maybe it's the work of some horrible Other trying to force its way into reality thanks to this walking paradox and, thanks to the hubris of a Mage experimenting with it, they're widening this window and just letting the drat thing come on in.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

EdithUpwards posted:

Pretty hubristic to assume that you know what a soul's business is.

Pretty hubristic to just let something you created fly off into the world without taking care of it, Dr. Frankenstein.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Having two souls is like having two livers, but metaphysically.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

More souls = higher power level, in my opinion.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I believe that your effective Gnosis is multiplied by the number of souls you have. It's like how the Awakened slowly lose the ability to cast spells if they lose their soul, only like, the other way around.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

nrook posted:

I believe that your effective Gnosis is multiplied by the number of souls you have. It's like how the Awakened slowly lose the ability to cast spells if they lose their soul, only like, the other way around.
Yeah, that makes sense. Like Trinidad in Last Order.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slimnoid posted:

I feel like playing up personal horror of having your soul in two places/having two souls could be done pretty well. They have frightening visions of being out of mind and body--of dying, no, wait, they're stuck in a jar now, but, except...but they're not, suddenly, as their sense of self is warped back and forth between two realities. The one they're in, and the alternate one erased, a mind-sucking sense of déjà vu that happens constantly. Brief, intense images of a future that didn't happen, never was. can't be. Perhaps it has the beneficial side-effect of letting them see the future in brief bursts, but maybe it's the work of some horrible Other trying to force its way into reality thanks to this walking paradox and, thanks to the hubris of a Mage experimenting with it, they're widening this window and just letting the drat thing come on in.
The "souls" Mages deal with aren't what make you "You", they're, again, more like an important but not immediately life-threatening to lose organ. Like your kidneys (as a whole) or liver, to take Mors' metaphor. Except even less vital since I think you can survive longer without a soul than you can without your kidneys if neither are being treated.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Soonmot posted:

Wow, thanks!! That's pretty much the exact vibe I was going for!

What's your opinion on giving the lesser CHUDs something like Innocuous and a little greater intelligence when not under the swarm condition?

I think that would work cause then you would have more like an Alien vs Aliens situation, where a single one is a cunning ambush predator but when they get in a group (under the direction of james cameron) they act more stupidly and just try to overwhelm their target.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Zereth posted:

The "souls" Mages deal with aren't what make you "You", they're, again, more like an important but not immediately life-threatening to lose organ. Like your kidneys (as a whole) or liver, to take Mors' metaphor. Except even less vital since I think you can survive longer without a soul than you can without your kidneys if neither are being treated.

Yeah but that'd be kinda boring, wouldn't it, to be the metaphysical equivalent of a kidney when you've suddenly got two copies of the drat thing thanks to time-fuckery.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm pretty sure even in 2e as-written there are allowances for weird memory poo poo with soul transplants, because as said above the alternative is loving boring. Like, Lineages and soul stones imply it's more complex than just a slide into Thralldom.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Zereth posted:

Souls are implied to have core elements of the self associated with them. Swap out souls, your tastes in food, your moods, so on can change. There are no hard rules for that presumably because it'd be mechanizing something that doesn't need it and would diminish some of the possibility for Things To Go Wrong and create further Mysteries. Or for nothing to go wrong, if that's the sort of game you're playing.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

could a tremere lich go back in time and eat his own soul a bunch for ultimate power?

nofather
Aug 15, 2014

Ironslave posted:

Souls are implied to have core elements of the self associated with them. Swap out souls, your tastes in food, your moods, so on can change. There are no hard rules for that presumably because it'd be mechanizing something that doesn't need it and would diminish some of the possibility for Things To Go Wrong and create further Mysteries. Or for nothing to go wrong, if that's the sort of game you're playing.

Yeah its not a literal instant death sentence but if you're running around without a soul you're either going to have some ephemeral crawling into your soulless meat sack and taking over, or you're going to be spinning around the drain in a shame spiral at Integrity 1 with, likely, a bunch of persistent conditions that will, eventually, lead to your death.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

juggalo baby coffin posted:

could a tremere lich go back in time and eat his own soul a bunch for ultimate power?

How many have been eaten by paradox for trying to do that? How many turned into horrid abyssal monstrosities?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

xanthan posted:

How many turned into horrid abyssal monstrosities?

the abyss gets them later, after they realize it just tasted like any other soul

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

xanthan posted:

How many have been eaten by paradox for trying to do that? How many turned into horrid abyssal monstrosities?

As many as would make for an interesting game I reckon.

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009
Have you seen Us? I feel like soul copies might turn out like that.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Implying Tremere aren't already twisted abyssal monstrosities who are their own soul.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i remember my favourite part of the movie Cube 2: Hypercube was when, because of time fuckery in four dimensions, one character ended up wandering for decades through the hypercube continually cannibalising himself and the others. he kept the one characters watch every time and ended up with just like 20 watches on each arm.

i would like to be a mage who is that

Boron_the_Moron
Apr 28, 2013

I would think the first issue would be overpowering your past self, who probably isn't up for handing over their soul to some jackass from the future. Like, if this is the sort of poo poo that Johnny Soulmuncher is up to, I highly doubt he's the sort who would be willing to make sacrifices for the greater Johnny.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Boron_the_Moron posted:

I would think the first issue would be overpowering your past self, who probably isn't up for handing over their soul to some jackass from the future. Like, if this is the sort of poo poo that Johnny Soulmuncher is up to, I highly doubt he's the sort who would be willing to make sacrifices for the greater Johnny.

it'd be more like johnny darwinism. The strongest johnny survives and inherits all the collected souls of the weaker johnnys.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets
You'd end up in a world where everyone remembers you mysteriously dying, and you'd be quite wonderfully hosed up in the head from the trauma, but "autoreaping" should theoretically be possible.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Dave Brookshaw posted:

You'd end up in a world where everyone remembers you mysteriously dying, and you'd be quite wonderfully hosed up in the head from the trauma, but "autoreaping" should theoretically be possible.

hell yeah! how do i get them to hire me to write the next night horrors book?

edit: i forgot you work there so this came off weird i'm sorry i didn't mean it like that

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Aug 10, 2019

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

hell yeah! how do i get them to hire me to write the next night horrors book?

edit: i forgot you work there so this came off weird i'm sorry i didn't mean it like that

I don't work there any more, but I can put a word in.

(And the Tremere *are* in the next Night Horrors book, but they're already written)

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I don't work there any more, but I can put a word in.

(And the Tremere *are* in the next Night Horrors book, but they're already written)

i mean if there's any chance of getting writing work there i would be extremely down, I've done a good amount of professional writing in the past and written for-sale pnp supplements before.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Thank you thread for having so many good and mage (which by definition is likely terrible for someone else) ideas. It's given me a good idea of the direction I'll go with it, but there will be two souls to deal with, because that way lies better story. The NPC soul in question is a proximi they're responsible for protecting (under consilium law), so this will be a lot of fun.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's also the implication between the Tremere and Mummy and some other stuff that "the soul" is a slightly more complicated subject than "That thing we mess with with soul messing with mechanics". The soul that you can trade around like candy might just be "a soul", not "the soul", the only one you have. Or your soul might have different parts. Or "your soul" might not even be your soul, it might just be your spiritual essence and your soul is something else entirely. Basically there aren't a lot of people getting really, really into the metaphysics and mechanics of souls, and the ones that are tend to go a bit Tremere. Like evil would be a step up, those motherfuckers have gone philosophical.

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
There's things that imply the soul's 'container' which usually isn't influenced by external sources, is what really matters. It's usually tied to your power stat.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

it'd be more like johnny darwinism. The strongest johnny survives and inherits all the collected souls of the weaker johnnys.

Before this point I never considered Mage an appropriate game with which to re-enact "The One", so thanks for that.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Omnicrom posted:

Before this point I never considered Mage an appropriate game with which to re-enact "The One", so thanks for that.

right, because everyone knows the best WoD game for reenacting "The One" is highlander

tortured joke but I just rewatched highlander and it's WoD as gently caress, obviously

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Any Vampire game can be The One if you're brave enough, have enough Willpower to beat diablerie tests, and enough Obfuscate to beat peoples' Auspex

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Digital Osmosis posted:

right, because everyone knows the best WoD game for reenacting "The One" is highlander

tortured joke but I just rewatched highlander and it's WoD as gently caress, obviously
Back when I was a childe there were like twenty different WoD "highlander" writeups on BJ Zanzibar.

I always liked the Scanners one better.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I don't remember if he wrote on it or just did layout, but MrGone (who was The Character Sheet Guy who eventually got tapped to do character sheets in published books) helped make "Immortal: The Quickening" or something like that which was a pretty grounded, okay take on Highlanders in nWoD. In fact, if I recall correctly, it looked so good they got asked to take it down from Mediafire or wherever it was hosted and stop distributing it.

I remember downloading the most professional-looking, longest oWoD Highlander fan supplement that I assume they pirated PageMaker or MS Publisher it looked so goodadequate, and boy was that a real piece of poo poo.

I don't think we ever put it up anywhere online, but my friend and I in high school spent months putting together an oWoD Jedi rule set that was, like, only half a total ripoff of WEG's Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I once found a pdf of a nWoD Parasite Eve fangame.