Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I certainly didn't think Garfield was big business in Arab countries but shows what I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Korthal posted:

If this place isn't out of business by the end of October, I'll go myself and check it out when I'm in Toronto for a concert. I'm less interested in the food and more interested in the actual place. I mean, what it must be like to work in a place that just constantly blares garfield cartoons.

obviously you're not a computer toucher

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Alan Smithee posted:

I certainly didn't think Garfield was big business in Arab countries but shows what I know

Mondays are haram

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Alan Smithee posted:

The Prophet Muhammad's fondness for cats is conveyed in his hadith: "Affection for cats is part of faith" (Maqasid al-Hasanah, al-Sakhawi). So, loving Garfield the cat is a sign that someone is a believer.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

JK Fresco posted:

The Prophet Muhammad's fondness for cats is conveyed in his hadith: "Affection for cats is part of faith" (Maqasid al-Hasanah, al-Sakhawi). So, loving Garfield the cat is a sign that someone is a believer.

My mom used to tell me a story that Muhammad was so patient he let a pregnant cat deliver a litter of kittens in his lap and that's why cats have an M on their forehead. We're not Muslim, we're white as gently caress Canadians so I don't know where that came from but whatever.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

angerbeet posted:

My mom used to tell me a story that Muhammad was so patient he let a pregnant cat deliver a litter of kittens in his lap and that's why cats have an M on their forehead. We're not Muslim, we're white as gently caress Canadians so I don't know where that came from but whatever.

She's thinking of anime Im pretty sure.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

angerbeet posted:

My mom used to tell me a story that Muhammad was so patient he let a pregnant cat deliver a litter of kittens in his lap and that's why cats have an M on their forehead.

He just saw the OwO upside down

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

angerbeet posted:

To be honest, Muhammad wouldn’t have used M since he spoke Arabic, and “we’re going to pay homage to your kindness but fuckin lol if you think we’re putting it in any alphabet you can understand” is a pretty cat move.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Well, I'd say that Jim Davis "sold out", but there was never a day that he hadn't - nor did he ever claim that Garfield was anything BUT a commercial product first and foremost - so let's chalk this up to the first phase of him "checking out."

quote:

Viacom has signed a deal with Jim Davis for ownership of the comic strip character Garfield, according to Variety. Nickelodeon, a subsidairy of Viacom, is set to acquire Davis' Paws Inc., the company which holds rights to Garfield - as well as other Davis creations including U.S. Acres.

[...]

The 74-year-old cartoonist plans to continue work on the syndicated newspaper strip, with assistance from various writers and artists.

The financial terms of the deal were not disclosed, however Variety says Garfield generates "millions of dollars a year in merchandise alone."

GarfieldEats, Dubai and Toronto, coming soon to...Orlando, I guess?

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
Today Toronto, tomorrow the world

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

angerbeet posted:

I grew up in New England and also heard this inexplicable myth?

Lightanchor
Nov 2, 2012
I didn't realize Nathen was out. I'm glad he's rich enough to avoid trouble in Saudi Arabia.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yELOiYgR2aI

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The entire lasagna cat canon is a must-watch.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

Korthal posted:

If this place isn't out of business by the end of October, I'll go myself and check it out when I'm in Toronto for a concert. I'm less interested in the food and more interested in the actual place. I mean, what it must be like to work in a place that just constantly blares garfield cartoons.

capitalism.mpg

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

*chortling* boy, he sure does

sandwiches_and_ham
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

angerbeet posted:

i'm having trouble picturing this; can you draw us a sketch plz

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

sandwiches_and_ham posted:

i'm having trouble picturing this; can you draw us a sketch plz

just in case you're being sincere and have never actually noticed this on a tabby cat before

alternate origin stories, btw

quote:

The Islamic world contends that Mohammed had a tabby named Muezza who saved his master’s life by slaying a snake that had slithered into Mohammed’s sleeve. Later, when he was called to prayer, he discovered the cat had fallen asleep upon his sleeve. To avoid disturbing the tabby, Mohammed cut the sleeve from his garment.

From that day forward, every tabby was born with an ‘M’ on his forehead to remind the world that Mohammed loved cats, and that cats should always be respected.

Another version of the Mohammed legend claims that when his cat killed the snake, the grateful Muhammad stroked her back – hence cats never fall on their backs. He also put his noble hand on her forehead and that is why every tabby has four dark lines on her forehead.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Pastry of the Year posted:

just in case you're being sincere and have never actually noticed this on a tabby cat before

alternate origin stories, btw

There's a lot of ways that story makes no sense. Mohamed was illiterate, what he knew of letters wouldn't have included an m, and in fact, the Latin script at the time didn't look like an M today.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

pseudanonymous posted:

There's a lot of ways that story makes no sense. Mohamed was illiterate, what he knew of letters wouldn't have included an m, and in fact, the Latin script at the time didn't look like an M today.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

pseudanonymous posted:

These don't sound like unsurmountable challenges to the best friend of God.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Getty images kinda takin the sting out of it :effort: :cmon:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

Getty images kinda takin the sting out of it :effort: :cmon:

:thejoke:

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Korthal posted:

the 2 staff people (always the same 2 people) look miserable and are leaning on the desk looking at their phone 24/7

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Watch Viacom cancel Garfield Eats' license

Or, perhaps even more amazingly, this ends up benefiting Mazri

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

FuhrerHat posted:

the 2 staff people (always the same 2 people) look miserable and are leaning on the desk looking at their phone 24/7

I mean, find me a Torontonian not doing that

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Or, perhaps even more amazingly, this ends up benefiting Mazri

Yes, this is Garfield these kids are speaking and no, they're not cats; they're Canadian.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Oh you said Mazri

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I know it's only August but is it presumptuous to call this App Of The Year?

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
It's the app of the Willenium at least

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

pseudanonymous posted:

That story is so dumb and harmless, it's really endearing

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The biggest sign it's going to fail (or is just a front for money laundering) is that it's a new lovely theme restaurant in Toronto and there hasn't ever been a giant line to get in. This dumbass city will line up for hours for literally anything new and food related, especially if it's overpriced and even vaguely Instagrammable.

A mediocre Japanese cheesecake place had hour long lines for something like a year and a half, and this place can't even get it on opening day? That's a bad sign.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

the storefront and its physical location (i love my neighbourhood but lets be honest it's cultured like bacteria) are very hilariously and viscerally awful

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
The Garfield Eats rear end!!!! :hehe:

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The biggest sign it's going to fail (or is just a front for money laundering) is that it's a new lovely theme restaurant in Toronto and there hasn't ever been a giant line to get in. This dumbass city will line up for hours for literally anything new and food related, especially if it's overpriced and even vaguely Instagrammable.

A mediocre Japanese cheesecake place had hour long lines for something like a year and a half, and this place can't even get it on opening day? That's a bad sign.

No, no, no, that's just a sign of how incredibly efficient this new mobile ordering process is! Why, you barely have time to be entergaged before you're already leaving with your Garfaccino!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Pastry of the Year posted:

Yes, this is Garfield these kids are speaking and no, they're not cats; they're Canadian.
Oh god what is this

How have you hijacked my brain with this near-quote

What is it

IT IS MUZZY!!! WHY DID YOU DO THIS TO ME

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
I had a dream I went on vacation and got to read a couple of good books but now I'm back and Nathan loooooves brands, branding, brandy, and bran but not bras.

{Arabiolosis} Chapter 7: Brand Culture

quote:

Mazri's Law #7: We live in a mobile, digital, cluttered world made of brands - people, products, and places. If you fail to communicate your strengths boldly, then you will fail to be the next ordinary leader in today's unordinary era.

I don't know, do I want to be the next ordinary leader? This is not an appealing description. "SO ORDINARY" scream the headlines.

Okay, Nathan's talking about a fundraiser and it's always just written so weirdly, I can't put my finger on it. I think Nathan just writes everything like a press release and it reads normally to him:

quote:

I founded Victorious Breast Cancer Foundation in 2007 at age 20. I had been inspired by my mother's diagnosis in the fall of 2005. I registered the non-profit in Quebec and created the benefit gala event called Victorious Time, in Montreal city, raising more than $100,000 for our first Mother's Day event in May - an event that has generated media frenzy and interest from Montreal hospitals to help in raising funds for their own breast cancer events.
(...)
I had successfully branded the event by creating three brand mascots or women superheroes called "Victorious Women," dressed in a custom made costumes made especially for the VW brand characters featured in outdoor advertisements, metro billboard ads, newspapers, Global Canada TV and 94.7 hits FM.

If anyone can find the radio commercial Nathan ran on 94.7 hits FM for a breast cancer campaign I'd love to hear it.

Nathan entergages us with another new word:

quote:

AB Communications' mission is to creatively solve the external communications gap present in the world of commerce today. We are all about the brand image from the inside-out. The branding boutique aims to be recognized as brand image enhancers by specializing in building-up brand personalities, retelling creative stories, generating constant ideas and promising advertising that lives up to its hype. Sometimes we like to refer to ourselves as brand groomers equipped with a unique process called Brandment that will assist in enhancing and better defining your brand personality, resulting in creativity-effectiveness.

I'm sort of disappointed that he didn't go for createffectiveness with that last word combo. Also he used 'brand' seven times in that paragraph, seven!

I don't even know what he's telling me here:

quote:

Throughout my career, I have been featured constantly on tv, radio, and national newspapers and periodical magazines by the age of twenty-five years old only. I have branded myself as the brand guru of Saudi Arabia as I understood the gap of branding that existed in the country and thought that I could possibly fill the void before somebody else does and that is where I was wrong...many have tried but the cultural attitude could not be changed, they wanted what they wanted nevertheless the logic behind the creative execution of branding strategy

Nathan relays which positive affirmations he finds helpful. ("I am fearless," "I am wealthy.") and wraps up with a joke! I love jokes!

quote:

All we need in life is the L-words. Life and Love. We can't live with the L-word. And no, it doesn't stand for "Lesbian" only!

quote:

What is the theme of Chapter 7?
We often feel guilty to accept wealth in a given society. We make ourselves reprehensible for the accumulation of fortunes in life due to the misconceptions of ideologies associated with money - perceived as arrogant and immoral. We feel undeserving. Learn to empathize with yourself with greater compassion and that you are deserving of the largest riches and biggest happiness in life without remorse. Money is not associated with shame as our ancestors taught us, but rather with splurge of opportunities encouraging you to give a hand to those in need and create a prosperous life for yourself and your surroundings. The key to wealth is ambition, determination, and acquisition of unique set of skills such as branding yourself as people but into the man behind the brand, not the product. Think and control every impulse within your mind to achieve self-mastery. Rebrand, rethink, relive!

The only thing that I took away from this summary is that Nathan is embarrassingly rich, both figuratively and literally.

Coming up: Chapter 8: The Saudi Arabia Poem and Princess Diana conspiracy theory!

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

More like brand GOOBERS! :downsrim:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

so from my place i can see that this place constantly has roof parties that i assume are just the owner and his friends

except they like to hire live music a lot
and for whatever reason they can't ever seem to finish a song

they'll start it, play for 45 seconds, then stop

i dont know what the gently caress is going on but it seems pretty fitting