Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Probably not helping with Zoomers growing up in even more of a cultural blasted wasteland than we did. Everything that can't be immediately monetised or converted into support for fascism is being defunded out of existence. We're already seeing the results of traditional forms of kinship and societal bonds being obliterated by capitalism to create generations of alienated and lonely young people who struggle to find any community that doesn't revolve around spending money.

I cant recommend this video enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc2TJacPPwg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Is there a cliff notes? I do not have the patience for videos and I get the feeling it's mostly stuff I already know.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Is there a cliff notes? I do not have the patience for videos and I get the feeling it's mostly stuff I already know.

Zoomers are growing up in even more of a cultural blasted wasteland than we did. Everything that can't be immediately monetised or converted into support for fascism is being defunded out of existence. We're already seeing the results of traditional forms of kinship and societal bonds being obliterated by capitalism to create generations of alienated and lonely young people who struggle to find any community that doesn't revolve around spending money.

(I can handle some videos, but this channel is pretty annoying.)

Edit:cliffs notes:

EA's CEO said this in a conversation:
“Once you get to the point where social interaction is really, really, important, then you discover that network effect in the context of games is as important as it is for Facebook, or Snapchat, or Twitter, or any of these other social grounds,” Wilson explained. “Once you come to terms with that, what you understand is that people will come together to consume this content together and they will want to stay and continue to consume that content and fuel those relationships as part of that. The reality is that is going to mean games as service is going to be foundational to our industry because that is how you will fulfill the motivations of players who have social interaction at the very core of why many of them play games for much of the time they play.”

Social interaction is important because it drives microtransactions

Most money in games is generated from whales or superwhales, I think they define superwhales as spending $50+ a month.
The key to converting normal players into superwhales is to fulfill social needs, and it also pulls their friends into the game which can add more whales.

Games like Clash of Clans are designed to trick children into spending money. Fifa is also offered as an example of a game rated suitable for children 3 and up, but involves a gambling lootbox system.
Game designers are deliberately working to build a social norm in games that playing for free is abnormal, and spending money is normal. (I assume that's why F2P games often have a "most popular" option listed in the premium currency screen)

Game companies are focusing on pushing these genres of game because they're far more profitable, and they're intentionally reshape expectations for what a game is supposed to be like.

Dr. Arbitrary has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Aug 10, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Touche. I just prefer my gimmicky gamer youtube videos to be deliberately shallow and inane.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Also designing games that structure these social networks in a way that enables and incentivizes people to respect or shun others based on the money they spend or don't spend, in a way that has documentedly spilled over into real life as bullying between real life kids playing games together. Communities of peer pressure based on who has the coolest premium items while those items are randomly acquired so people just need to keep pulling that lever to climb the stairs of respect.

I dunno, I'm sure there are a lot of actual cults that are downright beneficial to their members' psyches compared to that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's basically Mean Girls with corporate sponsored incentives.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Is watching gamer videos this thread's (obvious cult obviously) version of drinking the Jonestown flavoraide? I can't wait for someone to tell us this yet again and how little they care, actually.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

T-man posted:

Is watching gamer videos this thread's (obvious cult obviously) version of drinking the Jonestown flavoraide? I can't wait for someone to tell us this yet again and how little they care, actually.

I didn't particularly care for the video, although I assume it appeals to someone way younger than me who might really benefit from being a bit more cynical about the gaming industry and the kinds of interactions that they're being pressured into.

uncop
Oct 23, 2010
Frankly it's the truth that a certain level of gatekeeping exists and it's unwittingly reproduced by all kinds of people. The source is basically a mistaken epistemology that considers knowledge to be produced through engaging with, chewing on and making new discoveries from thought as such, previous theory. Basically the ideology of the philosophy that modern academy was built on.

The reality is however that knowledge comes from generalizing on practical experience. One can acquire the raw data produced in practice by reading about it, but also by doing it over a long period of time and in various contexts. The skill to generalize rigorously obviously takes training and individual practice to do well, but someone like Prester has had to do that too in order to recover from schizophrenia, she has detailed that process. So she, while lacking the final touches that'd make her work pass in academy, has exactly what it takes to speak authoritatively on group dynamics of the narrativist type. It *is* gatekeeping not to engage her as a serious organic intellectual on this subject, and the same pattern repeats regarding organic individuals of other subjects developed in the same way, most notably all kinds of minorities without relevant academic training. And it's shamelessly promoted by people with that training to ease the psychological pressure of the threat of competition that demands them to work to learn more and question their own assumptions.

For the same reasons, of course, the expansion of the system to explain all kinds of people is an exponentially harder challenge for her, because pretty much the only way to acquire anything approaching the required amount of knowledge can only be found through books and teaching simply because there is too much to learn in a lifetime through direct observation. And it takes much more training to find and discard faulty assumptions without a huge base of data that makes it easier to find discrepancies between them and established facts. Prester isn't some special talent, she's an expert on a tiny slice of social reality produced through practice and observation. So much for the "cult", if she can't convince us of being such a special talent.

uncop has issued a correction as of 07:51 on Aug 10, 2019

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Well then, I guess I'm in a cult now because I read this thread and find it informative.

Lmao. Just, lmao. Severing family connections as we speak.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

People are discussing and agreeing about things instead of immediately piling on the vulnerable person, must be a cult

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Willie Tomg shouldn't be taken seriously, he's quarantined to the conspiracy thread in D&D for a reason.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I don’t know the context for this discussion, but Neiwert is well worth reading. His concept of eliminationism explains a lot about the far right in America and how people are radicalized by mass media specifically.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I don’t know the context for this discussion, but Neiwert is well worth reading. His concept of eliminationism explains a lot about the far right in America and how people are radicalized by mass media specifically.

Oh I quite agree, Dave Neiwert has excellent material. (Back when I had a Twitter account we followed each other and IIRC correctly he retweeted a fair bit of my Accelerated Christian Education material.)

Now if you'll pardon me, I need to go prepare myself to psychically enter the dreams of this threads adherents and arrange an audience between them and the ashkara council. (They paid me good money after all.) Naturally none of them will remember what happens in this hyper-concious state so it'll fall on me to do a detailed write-up up on whether or not these acolytes achieved the next level of enlightenment.

the above is riffing on the practices of Madame Blavatsky's Theosophical Society

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Prester Jane posted:

Oh I quite agree, Dave Neiwert has excellent material. (Back when I had a Twitter account we followed each other and IIRC correctly he retweeted a fair bit of my Accelerated Christian Education material.)

Now if you'll pardon me, I need to go prepare myself to psychically enter the dreams of this threads adherents and arrange an audience between them and the ashkara council. (They paid me good money after all.) Naturally none of them will remember what happens in this hyper-concious state so it'll fall on me to do a detailed write-up up on whether or not these acolytes achieved the next level of enlightenment.

the above is riffing on the practices of Madame Blavatsky's Theosophical Society

Hey if you keep this up, they'll have to include you as a playable character in Fate Grand Order.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Argas posted:

Hey if you keep this up, they'll have to include you as a playable character in Fate Grand Order.

I mean.....chances are they would draw me with an amazing rack......

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Joining/starting a PJ cult is probably still better praxis than being a liberal.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
We could do it like the ending of this

https://vimeo.com/202443968

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dumb Lowtax posted:

We could do it like the ending of this

https://vimeo.com/202443968

By Vectrons steely gaze this is a capital idea!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Joining/starting a any cult is probably still better praxis than being a liberal.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Economics is taught as a narrative

MiddleOne posted:

I'm halfway convinced that econ101 is just some psy-op to misinform as many people as possible about how economics works. Particularly law and business students since they are the ones most likely to never get to delve any deeper.

comedyblissoption posted:

all of neoclassical economics, the predominant western economic school, is a psyop

comedyblissoption posted:

like, they had to crush classical economics and decry its foundations as naive or debunked b/c the claims and the implications were very troubling for capitalists, often with prominent classical economists themselves heavily criticizing certain rentier capitalist activities, so they could fund and create a neoclassical school

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It varies based on who teaches you. I had a microecon professor who took one whole class to explain why the national debt is total bullshit and why you should write off anyone who tries to use it to scare you into austerity measures.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Myth and broken myth

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

WampaLord posted:

It varies based on who teaches you. I had a microecon professor who took one whole class to explain why the national debt is total bullshit and why you should write off anyone who tries to use it to scare you into austerity measures.

Yeah, this. A good econ101 class is one that stresses "a ton of this stuff is 'frictionless perfect sphere in a vacuum' stuff that doesn't really reflect real world experiences."

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Yeah, this. A good econ101 class is one that stresses "a ton of this stuff is 'frictionless perfect sphere in a vacuum' stuff that doesn't really reflect real world experiences."

It's not even that, though. The very core mechanics of supply and demand don't work the way they claim for almost anything besides carefully engineered standardized commodity markets.

Bargaining power is more fundamental than supply and demand

uncop
Oct 23, 2010

ikanreed posted:

It's not even that, though. The very core mechanics of supply and demand don't work the way they claim for almost anything besides carefully engineered standardized commodity markets.

Bargaining power is more fundamental than supply and demand

Anwar Shaikh IMO has a good point that the imperfect competition paradigm that emphasizes bargaining power is itself polluted by the mainstream narrative of "perfect competition", since they effectively measure levels of divergence from that ideal. That narrative has lead us to misunderstand monopoly to simply mean a few big corporations dominating a market. Turns out the kind of bargaining power that such a position buys is just a new kind of competition tool and doesn't allow firms to name their profits freely, they need to keep profits low enough that investing into serious competition isn't worthwhile. So much like supply and demand are just a modifier on prices to explain local and temporal fluctuations, monopoly power in the way it is theorized is a special and fragile case in the real world, when setting up competition with a similar rate of profit as the market leader is actually prevented by force of law, cartels playing dirty or some cultural phenomenon around a specific brand rather than just the initial capital requirement of entering a market and the expected rate of profit.

uncop has issued a correction as of 17:25 on Aug 13, 2019

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

uncop posted:

Anwar Shaikh IMO has a good point that the imperfect competition paradigm that emphasizes bargaining power is itself polluted by the mainstream narrative of "perfect competition", since they effectively measure levels of divergence from that ideal. That narrative has lead us to misunderstand monopoly to simply mean a few big corporations dominating a market. Turns out the kind of bargaining power that such a position buys is just a new kind of competition tool and doesn't allow firms to name their profits freely, they need to keep profits low enough that investing into serious competition isn't worthwhile. So much like supply and demand are just a modifier on prices to explain local and temporal fluctuations, monopoly power in the way it is theorized is a special and fragile case in the real world, when setting up competition with a similar rate of profit as the market leader is actually prevented by force of law, cartels playing dirty or some cultural phenomenon around a specific brand rather than just the initial capital requirement of entering a market and the expected rate of profit.

Sure but also "work or you starve to death" describing almost half of all money flow

redsniper
Feb 15, 2012
Just started watching this netflix doc The Family about (I think) a specific Christian cult that's been heavily entwined with US politics for like 70 years. They just straight up tell this new guy how Jesus had a special inner circle and most people can't handle the truth, but by joining them now he's on the inside too. Literally Narrative stuff to a T. Thought y'all might be interested.

ross perot in hell
Jul 9, 2019

by VideoGames
to be fair tbh jesus did literally have an inner circle, who knew more than the masses that attended his trimp rallies, and he got killed because he let the wrong guy in, so

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Wasn't The Family one and the same with Epstein's sex trafficking ring or an even more expansive and horrible one with more money behind it

Back when it was in the news I remember hearing that's how they recruited (and later, probably blackmailed)

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Captain_Maclaine posted:

That's what's so galling about the accusation that leftists "don't understand basic economics"

I studied economics when I was at school, and I learned about some really basic economic facts called Elastic and Inelastic Commodities

Inelastic Commodities are those you can't avoid buying: Food, Housing/AC, Clothes, Heating, Transportation and Healthcare. If you don't buy these, YOU ARE GOING TO DIE

Elastic Commodities are those you can put off. Things like entertainment, luxuries, vacations, child masseuses and gold toilets.

You'll notice that Leftists want to socialize production to ensure that everyone has access to the former, and they don't emphasize the latter. Meanwhile Centrists are just naval gazing while Conservatives are actively buying up all the Inelastic Commodities and use these privileged positions to exploit regular people.

OFC i'm preaching to the choir here, but I still felt the need to connect these ideas to :rant:basic economics:rant:

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I don't know why they call them supply/demand "curves" when they're always two perfect 45 degree angle lines that intersect neatly.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

they call those :laffo: curves

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Here's an interesting supply curve

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
Last night I stumbled across something that I find endlessly hilarious as well as unexpectedly validating. I decided to share this video of a (relatively low-compaction) Narrativist group that I recently stumbled upon with ya'll because it's very relevant to this thread, but it's going to quote take a bit of setup ro explain why.

So last night I was scrolling through Hulu documentaries and I happened across a series called "Abandoned", which is basically a semi-famous proskater going into various and sundry abandoned places. The very first episode happens to be about a place near and dear to my own childhood, Rolling Acres Mall in Akron Ohio.

It's hard to overstate what Rolling Acres Mall meant to the working and upper middle class white population in the Akron area, it was a primary Social Hub for an entire generation. My grandparents used to take me there after church when I was a small child, and I would play in the playground while they socialized with other grandparebts from the community who were doing the exact same thing.

The below video is from an unrelated YouTube series called abandoned that is mostly a YouTuber describing various abandoned places, but this video does a really good job of putting in perspective the importance and impact this facility had on the social fabric of the surrounding white community:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv_8jLBX-2k

Now in the Abandoned series I happened across on Hulu, the narrator of the video met some local Rolling Acres Mall experts/enthusiasts and they took him guided on a tour of the facility. These individuals knew the facility quite well because they had legally filmed I know budget zombie flick in the facility several years before.

No I have been kind of giggling to myself at how stereotypically Akron these local experts and enthusiasts were the entire time, but it really kicked it up a notch when they. Revealed that they were paranormal investigators who had done a bunch of paranormal investigations into Rolling Acres Mall. The latter half of the episode features the Akron locals discussing all this paranormal stuff and showing off various gadgets they had invented, as well as inviting the narrator along into a paranormal investigation on the grounds. I about lost it as soon as they started casually mentioning the existence of demons and how they had created EMP devices to fight them, you have no idea how peculiarly Akron that is.

So I went and looked these guys up on YouTube and found the below video, and I'm posting it because it's a really good look into the formation of (non-political) Narrativism in its very earliest stages.

These individuals have had a core part of their social/community identity ripped away from them, and they furthermore lived in depressed area where an access to social signifiers of success and being a productive member of the community* has been systematically denied to them because of an economic downturn. They are collectively reacting to the stress by collectively creating an alternative social/community identity wherein they play a central important role- and ino the mechanism they accomplish this is through the psychological process that I call Narrativism.

*a good job, a house of your own to create a family in, etc

During my time running around in local Otherkin circles in Akron I engaged in the exact kind of behavior displayed in the video below on probably at least two dozen occasions- always in areas that were purported to either be haunted or centers of paranormal activity. At the time though, we didn't have all these fancy gadgets and phone apps that you see being used here, what we had were "power crystals" and glossolalia. (Everyone spoke "Enochian")

But we were otherwise doing the exact same saying that you see going on in the video below. For example we often had either a Ouija board or personally channeling phrases instead of whatever phone app they have doing the exact same thing. It's bizarre how specific the behaviors being displayed here are to what I experienced 20 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mss4p6nMpoQ

Prester Jane has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Aug 18, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

So the cult got bored of exorcisms and turned into Ghostbusters?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

So Trump is calling himself the chosen one now, how hosed are we all scale of 10 to 10

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's fascism dude he's been a fuhrur figure for a while now, just with a different set of words to signify it.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

BrandorKP posted:

"Myths of Origin" is a sociological/anthropological idea remarkably similiar to "narratives". And what happens when myths of origin are broken ties into how both fascism and socialism arise. And how the whole thing is related to religion.

I not only think you're right, I think you're more proscriptively right than PJ in this regard. It's not a contest or anything, I think PJ mentioning that such is relevant to the contemporary right wing has considerable value given her experiences if she had a mind to, but this is more like what's being talked about than any piecemeal flavor-of-the-month trumpers-did-a-thing nonsense that passes for content here.

of crucial importance to that particular extract is you can see how it was derived (post WW1 racist-rear end mysticisms) and criticize them because they're sourced and dated and published authors are already published and don't really care about secondary commentary. I'm probably overlooking something, though! I would very much like to argue that, if we ever get there. This is how you create conversations.

Somfin posted:

Willie Tomg shouldn't be taken seriously, he's quarantined to the conspiracy thread in D&D for a reason.

i'm not quarantined to a goddamned thing and this is the second thread about making up your own fiction in which I'm seeing you make up your own fiction which would teach you something if you were the learning kind of person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

T-man posted:

So Trump is calling himself the chosen one now, how hosed are we all scale of 10 to 10

substantially less hosed than we were when Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Barack Hussein Obama won such a title for no accomplishment greater or less than assuming the seat that george w bush was legally forbidden from occupying further. the president talking to the voices in his head liberates citizens to talk about what's happening instead of kowtowing to an office that hasn't deserved deference in living memory if ever.

antifa and the DSA are household names today. when nazis show up they are met with actual organized physical resistance! there is no longer a distinction between "quiet part" and "loud part". the mainstream media is discounted by all but the hardest-core democratic partisans. this was not the case in 2011 when Occupy got wrapped up and every career-minded liberal pretended that adjustments to ibank and hedge fund reserve requirements were all that was needed to keep tabs on the economy going forward. the situation is excellent. (significantly) ignoring how hosed we totally are by climate change, its more excellent now than it ever has been since the johnson administration but trump's proclamation of divinity doesn't really bear upon climate change so that's a background radiation level of "hosed" if anything.