Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Redundant posted:

Only parts of your body you can legally play the ball with can be classed as offside. Hands and arms don't count for playing you on/offside.

Ah that makes sense. Though hasn't a shoulder always counted as a playable part of the body?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
VAR sucks.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I was really excited for the foot to be back, I’m rapidly losing interest after all of this poo poo.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
cursed stadium, nice kit

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

CyberPingu posted:

Pretty sure it doesn't matter what part the ball touches. If any part of him is offside. It's offside.

The point is where do you draw the line from? Someone or something is picking a pixel which in the current system would make the difference between offside or not, and that is still a matter of interpretation.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

belt posted:

VAR sucks.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

belt posted:

VAR sucks.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I take back defending var, it’s dogshit.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

TheBigAristotle posted:

Good thing VAR doesn't grind things to a halt and suck the joy and anger out of every goal

But this is the actual point, and is exactly what I was saying after our champions league match vs Spurs when a bunch of chucklefucks here accused me of sour grapes

FWIW I think that penalty being retaken is also bollocks

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

CyberPingu posted:

Ah that makes sense. Though hasn't a shoulder always counted as a playable part of the body?
It has.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

VAR is shiiiit

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

What the gently caress was Fabianski doing there? He stepped right and gave Sterling the whole near post.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Welp

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Shrapnig posted:

What the gently caress was Fabianski doing there? He stepped right and gave Sterling the whole near post.

I'd kind of give Fabianski a pass, if Sterling is clean through like that you just have to make a call if you think he's going to go across you or near post.

edit: I reserve the right to change my mind about this on replay

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

genuinely baffling

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

If they're going to use VAR to do millimetre offside decisions the rules need a revamp.

It's to stop people goal hanging not to penalise people for being fractionally faster or having a larger shoe size

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
They probably spent a half a million on the cool var logo though, so when it pops up we should be glad

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Wow man city beat the gently caress out of west ham

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

They need to ditch it, that was just horrible. Reminds me of watching NFL.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
offside is offside :shrug:

before VAR, no one ever said "oh it was just a small part of him that was offside so it's good they didn't call it".

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

The problem is all these reviews disrupt the flow which could mean mid match commercial breaks one day. loving commercials every two minutes are a HUGE part of the reason I stopped watching the nfl

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

oliwan posted:

before VAR, no one ever said "oh it was just a small part of him that was offside so it's good they didn't call it".

true but on the other hand no-one would ever have questioned that goal before

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The problem is all these reviews disrupt the flow which could will mean mid match commercial breaks one day. loving commercials every two minutes are a HUGE part of the reason I stopped watching the nfl

Fixed that for you, that's totally why they're doing it.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

oliwan posted:

Whether or not the linesmen catch a minuscule off-side play was part of the fun of watching football.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Arrgytehpirate posted:

The problem is all these reviews disrupt the flow which could mean mid match commercial breaks one day. loving commercials every two minutes are a HUGE part of the reason I stopped watching the nfl

Yeah, it got real grotesque in American football. NFL does commercials after punts and kicks, which college football generally doesn't do.

Can't wait for VAR-referencing ads to run during VAR challenges

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I support VAR for goalline but otherwise get rid

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

10 goals in the first 2 games.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

CyberPingu posted:

10 goals in the first 2 games.

Watch all the 3pms be 0-0 dull fests with VAR every 2 minutes

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's cool that no one in charge of implementing VAR learned from the dozens and dozens of instant replay mistakes the NFL has made over the last 20 years

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

They should have just used the rugby system ffs.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

oliwan posted:

They absolutely did and there's previously been talk of allowing daylight between the attacker and defender

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
sounds like the Premier League hosed up

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

VAR is fine but it's now pointing out how stupid and vague some of rules are in football.

My least favourite part is listening to people bitch about it which is going to be all year.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Its easy to be against VAR when your team is big enough not to be repeatedly hosed by farcical decisions everytime you end up in this league. If it stops goals being disallowed for the crime of being an overhead kick etc then its worth all the millimeter offside decisions.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I like everton's away kits this year.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Goal line technology should be the only technology

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

tao of lmao posted:

except for the design on the front, yes

Everton looking pretty sharp in attack; they could be fun to watch once Kean gets bedded in

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I’m watching Bournemouth vs Sheffield United and boy is this dire.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

I’m watching Bournemouth vs Sheffield United and boy is this dire.

It's an obvious strategy by NBC to boost NBC Sports Gold subscriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

tao of lmao posted:

It's their away kit from last year. There's a clash and the third kit hasn't been released yet.