Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Reminder for any new iRacing signups to use my referral (jimmyvark AT gmail) so I can keep the pot topped up for buying gooncar sessions, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Vando posted:

Reminder for any new iRacing signups to use my referral (jimmyvark AT gmail) so I can keep the pot topped up for buying gooncar sessions, thanks!

Done! I'll have to check out the gooncar stuff, but first, time to slowly drive around a track while people crash all around me.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Jewce posted:

Done! I'll have to check out the gooncar stuff, but first, time to slowly drive around a track while people crash all around me.

Yeah thats good preparation for gooncar honestly

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
The other thing about the Ferrari is the D-class series is fixed setup, and the baseline setup is an understeery pig. I find it kind of frustrating to drive, especially on circuits that really prefer a loose car, like Spa and Silverstone

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
To prevent this place falling to iRacing chat again: there is a thread! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3882411

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Vando posted:

Done! Signed up for a year at $49 from some referral code I found on reddit. I figure that's enough to incentivize me to stick around for a little while at least.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Tried Rally 2.0 (steam version) on the Oculus yesterday. Definitely needs polish: at one point the picture froze for several seconds while the audio kept going.

Plus it seems like there's a constant jittering going on - iirc it was the cockpit twitching around just slightly whether I was moving or not.

Disappointing, hopefully they patch it.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Yeah, they whiffed big on the VR. All the menus feel like they're on a 17" monitor three feet away. It's like that through loading and little intro and into the car THEN it goes full VR. When you finish, it instantly goes to the small monitor style.

I didn't play too much with it because it was such a terrible experience, but the graphics did not look good even on high. It looked super chunky for some reason.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I said a while ago I was going to measure my '06 WRX driver seating position geometry and I finally did.

Since I was measuring for mounting the seat, almost all the measurements are referenced from the front seat bolts.

Here's the rundown. The front edge of the seat is about 9.5" above the floor. That same front edge slides from 8" in front of the bolt reference to 2" behind the bolt reference. The bottom edge of the pedals are 22" to the bolt reference point. I did not measure the height or angle of the pedals. The steering wheel sits 2" in front of the bolt reference, and 21" to 23" above the floor (not bolt reference) depending on the height adjustment. The wheel is tilted back about 20-25 degrees. From this you can infer that the steering wheel center is 20" back from the pedals.

For me personally, with the seat adjusted to 0", the pedal distance felt good, and I would want the steering wheel an additional 2" up and 2" towards the seat. If you're a bit shorter, the wheel height range is probably good and you might actually want it further forward if you're really short.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

ok but where does the cup holder go

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

sandoz posted:

ok but where does the cup holder go

Full disclosure, this is my friends shop (shameless plug for him), but buddy, you can definitely put a cup holder on your rig

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SimRacingAccessories

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Full disclosure, this is my friends shop (shameless plug for him), but buddy, you can definitely put a cup holder on your rig

https://www.etsy.com/shop/SimRacingAccessories

Goddamn you should have plugged this sooner! Can this go in the OP or pinned in the discord? Definitely going to get the button box and wheel holders

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

NtotheTC posted:

Goddamn you should have plugged this sooner! Can this go in the OP or pinned in the discord? Definitely going to get the button box and wheel holders

Seconded, those are some very nice-to-have items for sim rigs!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well if you wind up messaging him, just tell him Matt sent you, as he will have no idea what my username is and I don't want to explain this name I got in a yospos namechange thread to anyone irl lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thanks Sandoz for the wheel!

Now time to get used to left foot braking and all the rest of it.

Which is going decently enough?

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I think one of the hardest parts about Sim racing is getting the FOV right without buying a cockpit setup.

I've got a 55" curved TV and I press my gt omega wheel stand right up to my TV stand, but my eyes are still 45" away which leaves the fov incredibly close up. I can change the driver's seat position a bit to tune it, but not nearly enough to make it look realistic.

So now I either need a new table to put my TV on so that I can slide the omega stand closer or I need to buy a screen mount. Of course, I can also play with the wrong FOV and just go for what looks right, but supposedly that's not a good way to be precise.

I'm happy with my hardware so far, but it seems like I've gotta fix this FOV thing somehow.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

That's one really awesome point to VR. The FOV settings are automatic.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mr. Powers posted:

That's one really awesome point to VR. The FOV settings are automatic.

Yep.

Course, there's IPD settings... hehe

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Zaphod42 posted:

Yep.

Course, there's IPD settings... hehe

I just roll a knob. I can't believe there are headsets without IPD adjust.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

iospace posted:

Thanks Sandoz for the wheel!

Now time to get used to left foot braking and all the rest of it.

Which is going decently enough?

Glad you're enjoying it, welcome to the money hole

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Had my first two races yesterday on iracing. They were really fun, but also just really frustrating. Both races were the Mazda cup which is at Okinawa right now.

I spent around 10 hours hot lapping lime rock before it switched to Okinawa and then spent a couple hours practicing Okinawa with other drivers. I felt okay in the car so figured I would give it a shot.

First race I qualified 8th and finished 8th. I had 9 incident points, 4 of which were me getting sideswiped by an idiot returning to the track.

The next race I qualified in 5th, which I was pumped about. I got through the first two turns, then I was the idiot who drifted off my line into the driver next to me. Finished 10th after having to pit.
Ew
It's fun and I keep thinking about my next race, but at the same time, I see how much I suck now so part of me hesitates to even race. I'll just keep at it, learn how take better lines and be a bit more aggressive on
the track. I follow driver etiquette a bit too seriously I think. Like.. It's still a race and I need to make them work for a pass, even if I know they're faster.

Gonna just keep spending hours in the seat and hope I start seeing some improvement!

Edit: I just remembered there's an iracing thread, but I'll leave this, but add that moving my TV to 32" from my eyes really helped with my FOV! Glad I had some sawhorses to put it on. I'm already thinking about how to get a cockpit for the holidays...

Jewce fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 24, 2019

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The thing to remember about iRacing and being slow at the start is that other people may have done hundreds if not thousands of laps around that track. You just don't have that level of comfort or knowledge of what you can get away with early on, but it'll come in time.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
In iRacing the goal of Rookie class is to get the gently caress out of Rookie class.

Basically just avoid everyone like the plague and clock clean laps.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Last iRacing gooncar event of the season coming up, 2hrs from this post, everyone is encouraged to :getin:

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Maybe one day I will be home in time for gooncar. :(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PSA: Dirt Rally is free on Humble.
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/dirt-rally

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, I finally decided to start actually playing Rally 2 instead of just staring at it on my steam library.

I remember back in the day someone had posted some tweaks to controller setup regarding sensitivity/linearity/saturation that made the game feel quite nicer to control. Anybody have any idea what I mean and have some tips regarding that?

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, I finally decided to start actually playing Rally 2 instead of just staring at it on my steam library.

I remember back in the day someone had posted some tweaks to controller setup regarding sensitivity/linearity/saturation that made the game feel quite nicer to control. Anybody have any idea what I mean and have some tips regarding that?

I think they are identical to DR1, so it depends on what you prefer. I use 6 sensitivity 4 linearity but I've seen a lot of people use 8/2. I don't think you'll want to touch saturation since you won't the full range of control for your brake and acceleration.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So last night I thought I'd run some of the Rally 2 daily/weeklies, and I think 95% of them required a bunch of DLC. I checked the available DLC and... man, that's a lot of poo poo. like 3/4 season passes, a bunch of cars, tracks... I got the Alpine on a whim because it was my favourite car in 1 (and it's kinda dirt cheap in Third World Money), but is there any "must have" DLC so far? Or is "get the tracks, cars to taste" kinda deal? Any of the season passes worth it?

Kodo posted:

I think they are identical to DR1, so it depends on what you prefer. I use 6 sensitivity 4 linearity but I've seen a lot of people use 8/2. I don't think you'll want to touch saturation since you won't the full range of control for your brake and acceleration.

I did a bit of thread archaeology and found the post I remembered, which suggested setting sensitivity to 100 and linearity to 0 :v:

I actually tried it before seeing your post, and it felt a bit better than the defaults but slightly twitchy, so I'll fiddle around with it a bit and see what I like better. Thanks.

Kodo
Jul 20, 2003

THIS IS HOW YOUR CANDIDATE EATS CINNAMON ROLLS, KODO

Edmond Dantes posted:

So last night I thought I'd run some of the Rally 2 daily/weeklies, and I think 95% of them required a bunch of DLC. I checked the available DLC and... man, that's a lot of poo poo. like 3/4 season passes, a bunch of cars, tracks... I got the Alpine on a whim because it was my favourite car in 1 (and it's kinda dirt cheap in Third World Money), but is there any "must have" DLC so far? Or is "get the tracks, cars to taste" kinda deal? Any of the season passes worth it?

I've purchased all the season passes, mainly because I really liked the DR1 tracks and don't mind paying for the reskins in DR2. It really depends if that matters to you, some people gripe about playing the same tracks again, it being against the spirit of Rally and all. Though I do hope future season passes will feature new tracks.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Is it no longer possible to finish a stage with a blown tire in DR2? I got terminal damage for wheel failure after the rubber came off. Didn't want to stop to swap the tire as I didn't think it was going to be worth it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I have some old gteye springs for g25, g27, g29 for cheap if anybody wants them. Sold my cockpit and everything a while back. Pm me, probably heading to post office today anyway. $15 shipped for all 3?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Sep 11, 2019

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

After about 180 hours of driving with controller in DR 1 and 2 I decided yesterday to get a wheel, birthday gift for myself. Logitech G920.
I'm so bad with it it's discouraging... My runs are much longer than before due me running off the road all the time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is absolutely normal. Racing is about muscle memory. You have a ton of finger-based muscle memory built up around the controller. You have zero for your arms, legs and feet.

Everyone who switches from controller to wheel and pedals goes through this. Your times will recover in a couple weeks (not hours) and you’ll eventually get better than you were on the controller.

Focus on slowing down and staying on-track first. Once you have that down, then work on getting faster

Don’t get discouraged, it’s something everyone has to deal with. The wheel and pedals are the one true path, you just need to get used to them.

Smirk
Sep 20, 2005

The truth never set me free so I'll do it myself.
Seconded. The same thing will happen even when switching to a different wheel or set of pedals. I went from a decade-old Logitech G25 to Fanatec CSW hardware, and it really did feel like I’d forgotten how to drive.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yep. I want from a DFGT to a T300rs, then to fanatec pedals with the T300rs and each time I had to learn how to go fast again

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The wheel and pedals are the one true path, you just need to get used to them.

:hmmyes:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yep. I want from a DFGT to a T300rs, then to fanatec pedals with the T300rs and each time I had to learn how to go fast again

I'm still not fast :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well fast is a relative term based on the fastest you used to be I guess :iiam:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Just a heads up for people that don't read the iRacing thread but might have an interest: this week's Gooncar offseason race is touring cars, with the new Audi TCR and the old Kia (which is now free content!) at Summit Point (which is also free). A good time to get into things if you've been considering it, race session goes up in 4.5hrs from this post (2030UTC).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I found the rally school in Richard Burns Rally to be really helpful learning to drive with a wheel. The skills transferred to dirt rally. RBR is a really good sim, much harder than dirt rally and there is also a VR mod for it.

Edit: its also "free"

RBR Installer
https://steamcommunity.com/groups/richardburnsrallypc/discussions/0/451848854987213268/

RBRvr
http://www.kegetys.fi/rbrvr-v1-5-fix-for-latency-camera-options/

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Sep 15, 2019