Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Hello from Moridin's rap sheet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Moridin920 posted:

idk how to tell you this but (mod edit: hi please don’t give specificity into how the feds track people acquiring materials for truck bombs, thanks!)

Like yeah let's regulate guns but lol if you think that alone is going to stop right wing terrorists so there has to be a conversation about other contributing factors as well is all.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

If anybody posts anything remotely like what the mod edit says again I’m going to permaban you. This is your first, last, and only warning.

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

Jaxyon posted:

How long until we have a Double Event?

Not long. (This post was in may)

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I don't know if there's a peanut gallery side chat but is anyone else around thirty in the thread?

I remember being maybe fourteen(?), breaking into my brothers friend room so we could find the floppy disks that had "DOOM" printed on it. I didn't really understand why we weren't allowed to play this specific game because I didn't have a computer at home I was too busy being fascinated by the fact there was this play virtual world.

Somehow, we ended up getting caught and I was grounded for a week. I also remember seeing clips of Al Gore, Al Tipper Gore, Lieberman, etc. railing against violent games. Those games were Quake 2, Doom and Duke Nukem.

I find all this completely surreal and nearly deja vu. It's like our society is stuck in a rut and we're just going around in circles. Not blaming guns.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

zapplez posted:

we not have a poster with the same name Flowers for ____ ?

Hello.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

GREAT SATAN posted:

Let's separate the criminal population into two groups: militant racist murderers and everyone else (call them "pacifist, inclusive murderers").

Poof. All of those militant racists no longer have firearms.
How many fewer people will die in the next year due to firearm violence? And how will that number compare to the number of people killed by the peaceful, inclusive, non-racist murderers? Who will be the majority of those affected by firearm violence?

Your mindset is really perplexing. You're so focused on getting revenge that you're blind to the fact that your ideas would do nothing to help the people you're trying to protect.

Sounds good.....

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah.

If it was bullied kids using the power of their rage to kill people, you'd see a lot more minorities, women and queer kids shooting up schools.

It's almost entirely white males.

It's a white male problem.

Can't be racist right? Cause it's whites.

GREAT SATAN
Aug 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Navin Johnson posted:

Sounds good.....

Help me understand your viewpoint. There's a lot of people who want to support increased regulations on gun ownership. Your position seems to be that those regulations should only apply to one segment of the population. Is that correct? If so, I'd ask you to have a look at the statistics and then extrapolate what would happen over the next few years. And then do that same analysis for regulating the entire population.

I won't even mention how unconstitutional and racist your ideas are, apparently that doesn't matter to you.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

GREAT SATAN posted:

I won't even mention how unconstitutional and racist your ideas are, apparently that doesn't matter to you.
Since when has something being unconstitutional and racist ever been a problem for the police?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If something is unconstitutional in the USA, there's a fifty-sixty chance it's cool and good.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
What stopped Obama from every doing any strong measures to curb mass shootings when he was in office? We had plenty of terrible ones for the eight years he was there but its only gotten worse since then. Did he not have the senate at the same time? Or just didn't want to encourage any specific action towards gun control? Or did get certain measures introduced but his own dems backstabbed him on it?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

zapplez posted:

What stopped Obama from every doing any strong measures to curb mass shootings when he was in office? We had plenty of terrible ones for the eight years he was there but its only gotten worse since then. Did he not have the senate at the same time? Or just didn't want to encourage any specific action towards gun control? Or did get certain measures introduced but his own dems backstabbed him on it?

only had a filibuster proof majority for less than a year and had to deal with a collapsed economy. i mean he totally hosed up the response to that collapse but the dems were given a poo poo sandwich to eat once they got unitary control.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug

zapplez posted:

Didn't you remember how the entire right wing sphere said that Obama was only crocodile tears and he was faking his tears after he spoke about Sandy Hook? That was also when the entire conspiracy of crisis actors and false flag really took hold as well around that time.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Luckyellow posted:

Didn't you remember how the entire right wing sphere said that Obama was only crocodile tears and he was faking his tears after he spoke about Sandy Hook? That was also when the entire conspiracy of crisis actors and false flag really took hold as well around that time.

Even with a ton of idiot americans talking about crisis actors, its pretty disheartening to think even with a good liberal pres we couldn't get anything done after one of the most shocking shootings of all time. Kinda makes you wonder if we will see any meaningful change in our lifetimes.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

we won't.

in the documentary newtown some of the parents go to talk to senators and the senators listened to these parents, looked em square in the eye, and voted against basic gun control measures.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

We will.

We're already on the second generation of kids who had to be taught what to do if there's an active shooter, and had to hear the same selfish contemptible excuses for why it's fine that we're selling guns direct to the people shooting up their schools. And we're about to raise a third. These kids are growing up and they will vote and they will win.

We're already seeing it happen with the Democrats. The Democratic politician is the most spineless and useless jellylike creature that has ever crawled upon the earth, and every single one of them called the NRA an evil organization and told it to gently caress off at the debates. And it's not because they grew a spine, it's because they know their national aspirations are over if they don't.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

We will.

We're already on the second generation of kids who had to be taught what to do if there's an active shooter, and had to hear the same selfish contemptible excuses for why it's fine that we're selling guns direct to the people shooting up their schools. And we're about to raise a third. These kids are growing up and they will vote and they will win.

We're already seeing it happen with the Democrats. The Democratic politician is the most spineless and useless jellylike creature that has ever crawled upon the earth, and every single one of them called the NRA an evil organization and told it to gently caress off at the debates. And it's not because they grew a spine, it's because they know their national aspirations are over if they don't.
That's aspirational, but our parents' generation played duck-and-cover all through school in case the world ended, and now they're trying to end the world.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

VitalSigns posted:

We will.

The real question is if these 3rd gen politicians like AOC with idealism and big goals don't get squished like a bug by the old guard DNC. I don't have a lot of hope for that.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

omar's the best congressperson elected in ages (she's the only one to make a genocide apologist uncomfortable) and the dnc joined in with the gop to claim she was an antisemite so yeah i don't have much hope there.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

zapplez posted:

The real question is if these 3rd gen politicians like AOC with idealism and big goals don't get squished like a bug by the old guard DNC. I don't have a lot of hope for that.

AOC beat an old guard DNC guy who had been cheating his way to federal office for decades, and the rest of the old guard look about as healthy as Brezhnev's last days

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Navin Johnson posted:

Can't be racist right? Cause it's whites.

Not sure where you're going with this but the point was that the narrative that it's "bullied kids" is bullshit.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rent-A-Cop posted:

That's aspirational, but our parents' generation played duck-and-cover all through school in case the world ended, and now they're trying to end the world.

The fact that there hasn't been a nuclear war or terrorist attack yet helps keep it in the realm of abstract concepts. The fact that school shootings are happening all the time at this point makes it feel pretty real and immediate to a lot of people.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Majorian posted:

The fact that there hasn't been a nuclear war or terrorist attack yet helps keep it in the realm of abstract concepts. The fact that school shootings are happening all the time at this point makes it feel pretty real and immediate to a lot of people.

The fact that there hasn't been a nuclear war or terrorist attack is as much due to dumb loving luck as anything else. Go read Command and Control by Eric Schlosser sometime if you want some insight into just how fast and loose both the US and USSR played it during the Cold War.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

So,

Anyone think Trump, McConnell, NRA and rest of the Republican Party are finally throwing down the towel and will put through actual effective gun control legislation?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

So,

Anyone think Trump, McConnell, NRA and rest of the Republican Party are finally throwing down the towel and will put through actual effective gun control legislation?

Nope.

At most they'll lay down something useless and loophole-full in an attempt to preempt real legislation. And then use how poo poo it is as "proof that gun regulation doesn't work".

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Tab8715 posted:

So,

What is "actual effective" gun control? But it would be cool if somehow he did get better background checks through.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

zapplez posted:

What is "actual effective" gun control? But it would be cool if somehow he did get better background checks through.
Actually better checks would be great, but the current plan seems to just be more of the lovely kind.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Tab8715 posted:

So,

Definitely not, but I do think McConnell's inaction here will be the thing that will finally get his crusty rear end elected out of office, I don't see his campaign having a chance of winning since he's got such a negative stigma behind it now

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Parrotine posted:

Definitely not, but I do think McConnell's inaction here will be the thing that will finally get his crusty rear end elected out of office, I don't see his campaign having a chance of winning since he's got such a negative stigma behind it now

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_D._Hunter

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Yeah that's fine and dandy that he won despite all the corruption but he doesnt control the Senate and is nowhere near as well known as McConnell is in today's landscape, people are actively going out of their way to put Anybody But McConnell in office, I stand by my claim.

McConnell is getting a terrible reputation from both parties in his home state of Kentucky which is pivotal, he's getting beat whether it be by a hair's breath or a considerable margin.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm actually shocked how lovely his polling is - 36/50. he has a higher disapproval than actual criminal bob menendez.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Actually better checks would be great, but the current plan seems to just be more of the lovely kind.

What would you want from better background checks? Actually, let me break that down into 2 questions:

Do you believe that the current definition of a prohibited possessor is sufficient? To be clear, the current definition is a convicted felon, fugitive from justice, user/addicted to controlled substance, adjudicated defective or committed to a mental institution, illegal alien, dishonorable discharge from any branch of DoD, renounced citizenship, convicted of misdemeanor domestic abuse or under a court order due to stalking, harassment, etc. If this definition is insufficient, how would you change/expand it?

Where do you see the faults in our current system? Is it insufficient in identifying prohibited possessors? Is it that private party transactions are not covered? Is it that the current system requires you to go to an FFL to perform a background check? Something else entirely?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

What would you want from better background checks? Actually, let me break that down into 2 questions:
Phoneposting now, but I'll revisit this later and give some more complete responses.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Do you believe that the current definition of a prohibited possessor is sufficient? To be clear, the current definition is a convicted felon, fugitive from justice, user/addicted to controlled substance, adjudicated defective or committed to a mental institution, illegal alien, dishonorable discharge from any branch of DoD, renounced citizenship, convicted of misdemeanor domestic abuse or under an order due to stalking, harassment, etc. If this definition is insufficient, how would you change/expand it?
Yes. The definition of a prohibited possessor is a clusterfuck. While the intent is good enough, how the ATF decides to interpret those conditions is opaque to all casual observers. "Convicted felon" for example, does not not mean simply "convicted of any felony" but rather of any crime for which you could recieve a felony-level punishment, regardless of what your state actually classifies the crime as. When you combine this with insane state laws that make total nonsense a felony, and situations like deferral and withheld adjudication, it really becomes difficult to figure out what being a felon means to the ATF. The Bureau's policy on definitions being "We don't know. Try it and see if we arrest you" doesn't help.

And don't even get me started on what the gently caress "Adjudicated mentally defective" means or the serious problems with that specific language.

Shooting Blanks posted:

Where do you see the faults in our current system? Is it insufficient in identifying prohibited possessors? Is it that private party transactions are not covered? Is it that the current system requires you to go to an FFL to perform a background check? Something else entirely?
All of the above. State level NICS compliance being an unfunded federal program with no penalties for failure or tardiness with required reporting is a huge problem. Even federal agencies don't timely report, and a lot of states don't have a loving clue what they're even supposed to report. Not covering private transactions is stupidity bordering on negligence in 2019. Maybe it made sense to limit the system to licensees when you still had to call some clerk and ask, but it's entirely computerized now and dealing with the expected volume is absolutely not a technical issue. Requiring an FFL would be less of a problem with a fee cap, but without one way too many FFLs charge essentially punitive fees for not buying from them ($100 to make a phone call lol) or straight up refuse service to the "wrong sort" of customer. Because unsurprisingly, a lot of gun shops are run by old rear end in a top hat CHUDs.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
oh why not sure I'll kramer into this thread.

The proposals I'd like to see discussed more are

1) expanding the 1934 NFA to include semi-automatic weapons.

We know the 1934 NFA is constitutional because it's been constitutional for almost 100 years. We know it prevents crime because we don't have machine gun kelly and bonny and clyde running around spraying full auto everywhere anymore. That stopped after the NFA and now crimes with actual fully auto weapons are vanishingly rare.

So let's put the same strictures on semiauto weapons. No manufacture of new semiauto firearms for civilian use (but existing guns are grandfathered, but will then become collectible and their cost will rise over time). Must have a $200 license to own a semi-auto firearm and must undergo federal background check and have signoff from local law enforcement also.

2) Mandatory safe storage laws. Keep your guns in a locked safe, duder. Would dramatically reduce the gun suicide rate also, especially the teen suicide rate.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

With the current court that sounds like a great way to get the NFA stuck down.

Which wouldn't be awful because it's a stupid, half-assed law that was neutered into irrelevance before it was ever passed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rent-A-Cop posted:

With the current court that sounds like a great way to get the NFA stuck down.

Which wouldn't be awful because it's a stupid, half-assed law that was neutered into irrelevance before it was ever passed.

It's a pretty bizarre law and yeah the court might strike it down but honestly it might strike anything down. The current court is dominated by bad-faith conservatives who rule based on whether or not Republicans need a "win."

So the only real question we can ask in terms of passing constitutional muster is "how much would it embarass the supreme court if they struck this down," and overturning the 1934 NFA is good for that because i has almost 100 years of constitutional validity and would effectively amount to the full legalization of machine guns which is probably a step too far even for the current court.

I don't think it's irrelevant though. It has real impact --we don't see crimes committed with full auto weapons any more. We know the NFA worked.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a pretty bizarre law and yeah the court might strike it down but honestly it might strike anything down. The current court is dominated by bad-faith conservatives who rule based on whether or not Republicans need a "win."

So the only real question we can ask in terms of passing constitutional muster is "how much would it embarass the supreme court if they struck this down," and overturning the 1934 NFA is good for that because i has almost 100 years of constitutional validity and would effectively amount to the full legalization of machine guns which is probably a step too far even for the current court.

I don't think it's irrelevant though. It has real impact --we don't see crimes committed with full auto weapons any more. We know the NFA worked.
It'd be rough getting semis on the registry because you'd essentially be running afoul of both Heller and Miller at the same time. Which is a trick considering they're basically contradictory decisions.

We don't see crimes committed with legally purchased civilian FA stuff any more, but that was pretty rare even in the 30s. The NFA was more a response to gangster movies than actual gangsters.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It'd be rough getting semis on the registry because you'd essentially be running afoul of both Heller and Miller at the same time. Which is a trick considering they're basically contradictory decisions.

We don't see crimes committed with legally purchased civilian FA stuff any more, but that was pretty rare even in the 30s. The NFA was more a response to gangster movies than actual gangsters.

Fair on the second point.

Heller is pretty routinely over-estimated imho. It's actually a ruling that allows almost all gun regulation, so long as it's short of a ban. The NFA very explicitly isn't a ban -- it's just a tax and a license. Legally, that's a pretty big distinction.

Honestly I think safe storage laws are more likely to run afoul of Heller than the expansion of the NFA would, because they would regulate keeping guns in the home for self-defense, i.e., the specific area where Heller actually protects ownership.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It would be especially rough seeing as police use of semi auto pistols is civilian use.

Edit: I should have clarified, the fact that every police officer is armed with a pistol. SWAT teams and the like are a different situation, but your average LEO doesn't have a FA weapon readily available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the court would 100 percent overturn an expanded NFA. the heller and mcdonald decisions were jokes yet 5 justices still signed off on them.

conservative jurisprudence is laundering lovely eyes in legalistic language. and sometimes they don't even go that far - look at roberts gutting the VRA without any constitutional justification.