Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

oh, yeah, what resources are you guys using to build resumes? I had one built a couple years back for far too much money for the results it’s gotten me. I feel like I could make a better one myself but I also imagine there has to be a good template to follow that doesn’t scream “DEFAULTRESUMETEMPLATE.DOCX”

I copied MononCqC(?)’s resume format it’s real pretty I also bought his book to say thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mononcqc is very good

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KidDynamite posted:

I copied MononCqC(?)’s resume format it’s real pretty I also bought his book to say thanks

the what now?

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845966&userid=117596&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post490472500

I used his template as the basis for my resume refresh a few months ago as well. Plus it served as baby’s first LaTeX for me.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Steve Jorbs posted:

Plus it served as baby's first LaTeX for me.

I found a latex resume to be so much more efficient when fine tuning multiple applications.
Comment items that are less relevant, export to pdf, next. It's probably doable in word but i don't care.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I am still using modernCV template, but I have that one saved for when I decide to have something less generic.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gazpacho posted:

In 2013 I got a job by putting my resume/info on dice and making it visible to recruiter searches. I don’t recommend this unless you’re unemployed and desperate, which I was. Also be on guard for ID thieves, don’t give out info that recruiters don’t need, don’t talk to jobspring/workbridge, remember your password so you can turn off access later, etc

I also did this, last week, for the same reason. Good point about the security stuff

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also be on the lookout for recruiters that demand a .doc(x) file. Legit ones will simply cut your info out and put it on their letter head. Shady ones will gladly put things you didn't do on there to meet numbers.

I've had ones explicitly ask me to lie about my experience before.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

iospace posted:

Also be on the lookout for recruiters that demand a .doc(x) file. Legit ones will simply cut your info out and put it on their letter head. Shady ones will gladly put things you didn't do on there to meet numbers.

I've had ones explicitly ask me to lie about my experience before.

I've had a recruiter do that to me with a PDF too sadly.

Granted there's a higher barrier to entry. Humm maybe I could try one of those programs which convert the text into an image.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Private Speech posted:

Granted there's a higher barrier to entry. Humm maybe I could try one of those programs which convert the text into an image.

even “good” recruiters will do this in literally every case, it’s a waste of time to even try to fight it

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Private Speech posted:

Don't convert it to an image or it will be dumped by 95% of ATSs out there. If it can't bulk-import your data to be full text searchable, it's going to be kicked out.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

JawnV6 posted:

and for your actual doctor's appt if you're going back into the office be sure to dress up. suit & tie

I had a former co-worker at my current job do this.

We are very relaxed dress code-wise, like if you tucked in a button-up shirt people would ask questions. He started wearing full on pleated slacks, dress shoes, and bowties to work. It was weirdly socially aggressive considering you're working with people who are not even remotely close to that level of business attire. He kept asking us why we wouldn't join him dressing up on "bowtie Tuesdays"

When the farewell email came from him it kinda made sense. My best guess was he dressed up for an interview one day and just decided he was over changing his clothes. It was such a strange power move

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

aeflux posted:

I had a former co-worker at my current job do this.

We are very relaxed dress code-wise, like if you tucked in a button-up shirt people would ask questions. He started wearing full on pleated slacks, dress shoes, and bowties to work. It was weirdly socially aggressive considering you're working with people who are not even remotely close to that level of business attire. He kept asking us why we wouldn't join him dressing up on "bowtie Tuesdays"

When the farewell email came from him it kinda made sense. My best guess was he dressed up for an interview one day and just decided he was over changing his clothes. It was such a strange power move

i used to do this poo poo, but employers no longer expect a suit for the interview, so it has stopped being a thing

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I used to do my resumé in html. for recruiters that asked for word format, I would just change the extension to .doc and word would happily display it. one recruiter got upset that I “locked the document” because apparently whatever software he was using to strip the contact info didn’t work with it. I also put a tracking bug in there, which showed me how many times my resume was opened at different companies.

these days it’s pdf only.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Management posted:

I used to do my resumé in html. for recruiters that asked for word format, I would just change the extension to .doc and word would happily display it. one recruiter got upset that I “locked the document” because apparently whatever software he was using to strip the contact info didn’t work with it. I also put a tracking bug in there, which showed me how many times my resume was opened at different companies.

these days it’s pdf only.

i am pdf only

my resume is written in latex for historical reasons, and pdf is the easiest output format

if a recruiter is so fuckin hellbent on inserting letterhead or whatever, that is on their rear end. they can re-type that poo poo on their own time. it's not up to me

TimWinter
Mar 30, 2015

https://timsthebomb.com
I would pay good money for someone to take my resume and stuff a tracking pixel in it.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

quite frankly I don't believe this talk about the market
I feel like venting about a terrible interview I had a few weeks ago. It was a phone interview for an out of state senior developer position. One of the first questions they asked me was "Why are you excited about joining at our team?". I hate questions like these, because it forces you to lie. The real answer is "I'm not. I've only been speaking with you for 45 seconds, why should I be?", but if you say that it'll be a red flag and you'll remain unemployed. What I actually said was something like "Because I'm a Python developer, and your job ad calls for a Python developer". He then said "But why this company, and not any other company?". I then said "No particular reason". The interviewer's response was then "Hmm, I don't know, thats a hard sell". There was then a short moment of silence, and then I just hung up.

School of How fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 11, 2019

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

being able to lie about unimportant bullshit is a good job skill to have

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

note that the latex Latin Modern font is open source and can be used in any word processor of your choice, depending on how much your target company is cargo culting ~the scientific method~ it can leave people visibly impressed

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

jesus WEP posted:

and it's not like you even need to lie, you just need to sound like you don't already hate the job before you've even got it

you can easily say "me python developer, you looking for a python developer" while also making it sound like you actually give a poo poo

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Jabor posted:

you can easily say "me python developer, you looking for a python developer" while also making it sound like you actually give a poo poo

I actually have some problems doing this, but I learned few canned things that seem to work, like "I think I will face challenging problems and will find room for growth" and similar business speak bullshit.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Asking for docx is red flag also because it means the person doesn't know how to open and edit a PDF file in acrobat.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

MS Word can import PDF files (and does a pretty good job positioning graphics/converting selectable vector text) since Office 2013

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

jesus WEP posted:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

jesus WEP posted:

this is easily the hardest part of interviewing for me

some days I can bullshit with a straight face and get away with it, but most of the time i do every single obvious I'm Exaggerating And Possibly Lying Outright [And Feel Bad About It] body expression, voice inflection, etc. in the book

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

Jabor posted:

and it's not like you even need to lie, you just need to sound like you don't already hate the job before you've even got it

I had this experience last week. During the HR phone screen they asked why I wanted to work at x company. I said "x company sounded like a great company to work for." She said "no really why do you want to work here," so I replied "You are looking for a Node.js developer and that's one of my strongest skills." She then immediately asked me when I could come in for an interview with the team. I'm pretty sure that question is making sure that the company's goals for that position and your goals as a candidate line up.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

barkbell posted:

I'm pretty sure that question is making sure that the company's goals for that position and your goals as a candidate line up.

9 times out of 10 this is is. But that 10th one is a hell of a :redflag: because at best they think they're hot poo poo and at worst it'll be a goddamn cult.

Ran into this with Froedtert in Milwaukee. They're really really impressed with theyselfs. From my interactions with them and my discussions with people from FMLH it's fart-sniffing because they're :flaccid: af.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

barkbell posted:

I had this experience last week. During the HR phone screen they asked why I wanted to work at x company. I said "x company sounded like a great company to work for." She said "no really why do you want to work here," so I replied "You are looking for a Node.js developer and that's one of my strongest skills." She then immediately asked me when I could come in for an interview with the team. I'm pretty sure that question is making sure that the company's goals for that position and your goals as a candidate line up.

blunt honesty is the only useful response i like to that question

"You're looking for a C++ expert; I'm good at C++; and your company seemed solidly-run enough from the outside that I'm willing to try throwing my lot in" (though the exact language on that last bit is tweaked per interview)

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

jesus WEP posted:

I would agree with you if we're talking about a salesperson role, or manager or something like that, but not for a programmer. A pathological liar salesperson is probably a great salesperson. A pathological liar manager is a probably a good manager (from the company's perspective), but a pathological liar programmer is probably a terrible programmer. You can bullshit a person, but you can't bullshit a computer. You can't lie to a compiler.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

barkbell posted:

What if they followed up with "I see, but why are you excited about working at this specific node.js company over any other node.js company?"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

School of How posted:

You can't lie to a compiler.

__builtin_expect

😈

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

School of How posted:

I would agree with you if we're talking about a salesperson role, or manager or something like that, but not for a programmer. A pathological liar salesperson is probably a great salesperson. A pathological liar manager is a probably a good manager (from the company's perspective), but a pathological liar programmer is probably a terrible programmer. You can bullshit a person, but you can't bullshit a computer. You can't lie to a compiler.
writing code is but a part of being a programmer. you still gotta diplomatically get management to gently caress off

Cosa Nostra Aetate
Jan 1, 2019
Additionally, a quick check of the company's website / googling can tell you their market, stage & age, and other things you can profess excitement about.

"I have always wanted to {know more about/ work in} {industry}, getting to work on software for a business that is {scaling, greenfield, mature, single language, doomed, etc.} and I think growing my skills in that kind of environment would be a great next step. I would also love to learn what you've liked about working there."

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Applied for another job at Amazon I'll never hear back about because I am completely unskilled and as unworthy of gainful employment as I am of love.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

School of How posted:

I feel like venting about a terrible interview I had a few weeks ago. It was a phone interview for an out of state senior developer position. One of the first questions they asked me was "Why are you excited about joining at our team?". I hate questions like these, because it forces you to lie. The real answer is "I'm not. I've only been speaking with you for 45 seconds, why should I be?", but if you say that it'll be a red flag and you'll remain unemployed. What I actually said was something like "Because I'm a Python developer, and your job ad calls for a Python developer". He then said "But why this company, and not any other company?". I then said "No particular reason". The interviewer's response was then "Hmm, I don't know, thats a hard sell". There was then a short moment of silence, and then I just hung up.
that was your cue to demonstrate that you invested a few minutes time reading the companys website and newsfeed and to parrot some of that material back to them with a certain level of enthusiasm

"why do you want to work at xyz corporation?" is a pretty standard interview question, and its to test if you are capable of coming up with a response other than "because i need a fuckin' paycheck, thats why"

a lot of job interviewing is about testing your ability to follow dumb unspoken rules of corporate culture, and there are good reasons for that

prep harder next time

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

2013 lurker rereg posted:

Additionally, a quick check of the company's website / googling can tell you their market, stage & age, and other things you can profess excitement about.

Thats easier said than done. Some company's websites and job ads are generic as hell.

quote:

"I have always wanted to {know more about/ work in} {industry}, getting to work on software for a business that is {scaling, greenfield, mature, single language, doomed, etc.} and I think growing my skills in that kind of environment would be a great next step. I would also love to learn what you've liked about working there."

What if they followed up with "Why are you excited about working in [industry] over all other industries?" or "Why are you excited about working in {scaling, greenfield, mature, single language, doomed, etc.} over all other situations?".

If you're telling the truth those questions are easy to answer. If Google asked me to explain why I'm excited to work at Google, that question would be super easy to answer because I'm actually excited about working there, and no lies are necessary.

When you're telling the truth, it's not hard to explain everything in as much detail as possible. When you're lying, you have to invent the details in real time, which is very hard unless you're a pathological liar, which sadly I am not.

School of How
Jul 6, 2013

FMguru posted:

prep harder next time

I feel like this is code for "get better at lying"

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
if you actually cannot think of a single reason you could potentially be interested in the work then you’re going to have a bad time even if they hire you. like if your entire train of thought is “ugh, it’s not like they’re google” then a busted process may not be the main problem here.

Cosa Nostra Aetate
Jan 1, 2019
You don't need to be a pathological liar to find something nice to say, and you need not to radiate big depression energy for people to want to hire you or interact with you. Your day to day will involve interacting with other people and you need to be able not to make all those interactions painful.

And willingness to grow and change is important, so almost any new job should present some opportunity for you to do that in some way. If you want to do the same thing forever and never learn anything new, it will be tough to find a new job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

don’t you understand? if I answer a question they might engage me in _conversation_, which I am completely unable to manage due to oversaturation of the market

one time I told a person that I liked hiking and she asked me what my favorite trail was. that day still haunts me