Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

What would they even charge him with?
https://twitter.com/James_Barragan/status/1159473387942666240

https://twitter.com/emmaplatoff/status/1159479692652613634

This is proooobably why they don't want the tape released

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1159480064897114112

What the gently caress is the Texas Legislature gonna do about it? Pass a bunch of "mental health" initiatives that wouldn't have caught this dude in the first place? I'm a strong proponent of gun control, to the point I think that any semi-automatic weapon should be banned at minimum, but we have all these people, Democrats even, suddenly talking about the need for better mental health screening. While I agree that's another important reform, it doesn't have anything to do with El Paso.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
"Mental health screening" never seems to make its way to "more healthcare access." We'll just keep expecting parents and guardians of folks with psychotic tendencies to be the last line of defense against a killing spree.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1159480064897114112

What the gently caress is the Texas Legislature gonna do about it? Pass a bunch of "mental health" initiatives that wouldn't have caught this dude in the first place? I'm a strong proponent of gun control, to the point I think that any semi-automatic weapon should be banned at minimum, but we have all these people, Democrats even, suddenly talking about the need for better mental health screening. While I agree that's another important reform, it doesn't have anything to do with El Paso.

Ah yes, can’t do our job as legislators because the problem we have is too political. Genius stuff.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If 2019 is "an election year" then every year is.

https://twitter.com/AaronBlake/status/1159474817290166273

oh my god

BTW

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1159485683771367426

heh

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 8, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

So what you're saying is that there's at least even odds that the Republicans somehow bumblefuck it into public record? Remember, we're talking about the Texas GOP here, not the sharpest players.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Badger of Basra posted:

The term is "alamosexuals"

This is hilarious. 2 of my MAGA neighbors moved here from the West Coast, and have mentioned in the past some disappointment that Texas isn't the conservative utopia they thought it was. Alamosexual fits right in with their Don't Tread On Me and Come and Take it flags and bumper stickers. One of them was wearing a Reagan/Bush '84 shirt the other day for some reason.

In my experience Texans are a live and let live sort of folk.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/966519007238066176

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lack of a state income tax doesn’t help. One of the current scandals involving the NRA was using org funds to buy a Dallas area mansion for Wayne LaPierre, who has no connection to Texas

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

https://twitter.com/jessicashortall/status/1159135178733867009

this is par for the course for tarrant county republicans. living in the burbs like north richland hills in a bubble of fear

What did this one say? It's been deleted.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Hawkline posted:

"Why do I have to listen to Spanish at the Goddamn tacoria?"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Hawkline posted:

he said that the el paso shooter was expected because of the "invasion", and to expect more of 'em

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hawkline posted:

it was about this:

https://twitter.com/KevinMcFromTX/status/1159545910709358592

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lmao

Tarrant Co. Tea Party might as well be the NSDAP

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Doesn't a House General Investigating Committee give criminal liability for the Speaker / MQS if they did engage in this? But they would have to admit it, right?

lmao what the hell

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

zoux posted:

lmao

considering he's quoting this guy you'd think so

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

zoux posted:

lmao

drat right. Send the Texians back to Louisiana Territory and imprison Stephen F Austin!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

big red instead of dr. pepper, no obvious heb reference

0/10

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

Now I'm hungry

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Those onions look like silver coins. Also the potato has a peel hanging from it as if it's been peeled in a spiral fashion but the flesh is all chopped to bits as if it's been peeled at random?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Mustard potato salad? No thank you.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

zoux posted:

lmao

Yeah, it sucks what happened to the Apache

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
where's the mac and cheese

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Badger of Basra posted:

big red instead of dr. pepper

0/10
valid art crit

Alkydere posted:

Also the potato has a peel hanging from it as if it's been peeled in a spiral fashion but the flesh is all chopped to bits as if it's been peeled at random?

valid art crit

Captain Monkey posted:

what the gently caress

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Aug 9, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Captain Monkey posted:

:toughguy:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
All of you are wrong. Mayo or German. :colbert:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

The gently caress is wrong with y'all's taste buds that think potato salad is good? Just put some drat charro beans in there instead. :colbert:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

All of you are wrong. Mayo or German. :colbert:

A horse dun kicked you in the head. How else could you think that was ok.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PatrickSvitek/status/1159815119712464896

Background checks wouldn't have stopped El Paso, so we're still dancing around the real issue here (violent video games) but this is a significant departure for Danny

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Jiro posted:

The gently caress is wrong with y'all's taste buds that think potato salad is good? Just put some drat charro beans in there instead. :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1159829352793509890

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
Texas Politics: Probably wired. Always wierd.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I guess if Bonnen was willing to try and make a deal with the devil, he actually is concerned w/r/t the chances of losing the House.

So, we may scoff at Democratic hopes in Texas, but elected GOP officials themselves are shook as hell

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I'm the snot-nosed kid from the article. why were they so stupid

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Just jumping in from a few pages ago to say that Popeye's largest franchisee (and owner of most in Texas) is a Pakistani immigrant family from Sugarland.

Go go Popeyes.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

Sab0921 posted:

Just jumping in from a few pages ago to say that Popeye's largest franchisee (and owner of most in Texas) is a Pakistani immigrant family from Sugarland.

Go go Popeyes.

You had me until Sugarland.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
it's just my feeling, but i think part of the story right now is how immigrant families are slotting into the developing suburbs which is upsetting the "established" white/black/hispanic segregation, and the white right-wing reaction is as much a reaction to them as it is to the growing hispanic population

the "plano future" people (i think) are another example since they became anti-apartment / anti-development and anti-muslim. a variation on this theme with van duyne in irving. and on this page the NE tarrant county tea party people

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
like the whole core of republican power in texas was built in the booming suburbs in the 1980s which fused the (excuse the marxist terminology) petit-bourgeois managers / small biz people in the suburbs with the rural whites. they walled off the cities and left them to rot in the hands of democrats, who were largely corrupt. hank hill is kind of the ur suburban boomer republican, and while he's a cartoon character we all know he could be a real person:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJdgErAfiRQ

republican policies were good for him in the 90s because the low-tax/low-regulation policies are really good at turning undeveloped tracts of prairie land into booming suburbs. he's the assistant manager of strickland propane as well so all those new families are going to buy propane and propane accessories from him to power their backyard gas grills. it's in his material interest to support republicans.

that starts to run into obstacles though once the economy moves up the value chain. you develop, and then to squeeze out further growth requires the development of integrated global services -- growth here is slower but compounds over time. social liberal ideology also emerges in this environment because it's functional to diverse, urbanizing megacities with industries that operate on global scales. material interests change and the modern democratic party is based in the cities because it represents these service industries and boosts infrastructure (such as public transit) to enable this development. allen for instance recently elected a city council member who moved there from california (!!!) and supports extending the DART rail line to allen (it taps out at parker road in plano) + switching to more solar power in the city.

the "plano future" / NE tarrant tea party / trump backlash offers a different path which is exclusion. the economy for a long time has been a goose laying golden eggs for them, but now the goose isn't laying as many eggs as it used to so they opt to strangle the goose to death and hoard the remaining eggs.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Sab0921 posted:

Go go Popeyes.
I wonder if the Pakistani connection is why it's become big in various Muslim countries, like Malaysia and Dubai, etc. We have one at the airport in Thailand that I know of, and I heard they're moving into China now, but I recall the original int'l Popeye's were in either Dubai or Malaysia. Can't recall. Seem to have spread out from there to other parts of Asia and the GCC. Not sure where else.

It's lol too, because the int'l Popeye's recipes are poo poo garbage, tasting nothing like the American version, and if there's one group of people who *does not need help* cooking awesome fried chicken it's Southeast Asia's Muslim communities, heh. It's at least regionally famous that Muslim fried chicken from Southern Thailand on down is The Best fried chicken in the rest of the world, with probably Penang being the most famous? Not sure, that's from a Thai perspective. Other countries probably have a different take.

I am currently in Texas, though, and will be sure to eat our superior, greasier, unhealthier, spicier version of heartburn-inducing Popeye's to honor Houston's diversity and blah blah and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Dumb Texas Popeyes question.

Is up charging for *any* white meat normal?

I ate Popeyes all over the US and if I got a 2 piece meal at regular price I get a piece of white meat and a piece of dark meat and that was pretty normal. I finally went to one in Cedar Park and they told me they would charge extra for *any* white meat, every combo meal is all dark meat only.

I scratched my head over that one, the manager insisted it was popeyes policy, and not wanting to get into a chicken debate I just cancelled my order and tried Bushes Chicken down the street instead.

I'm wondering if it was just that franchise location or if most Popeyes in Texas is under one franchise owner if it was their policy.