Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

docbeard posted:

Fool Moon is the weakest book in the series but Murphy Did Nothing Wrong (aside from being on the business end of the worst kind of sitcom "a five minute conversation would have cleared all this up" plotting).

The first time I read Fool Moon, I thought Murphy was grating and illogical and she should just let Harry do stuff and get out of his way and then I came back on a re-read like a year later and went

oh

the narrative tricked me, the wizard's an rear end in a top hat.

It has plenty of dumb poo poo and mishandled/missed opportunities/gross stuff. On the other hand, it also has:

The police station attack.
Some fun with Marcone
"... then I blew the tires off his loving truck."

It's funny how the truck thing strikes me as a more fist-pump worthy moment than a lot of the more spectacular stuff he does later in the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The first time I read Fool Moon, I thought Murphy was grating and illogical and she should just let Harry do stuff and get out of his way and then I came back on a re-read like a year later and went

oh

the narrative tricked me, the wizard's an rear end in a top hat.

It has plenty of dumb poo poo and mishandled/missed opportunities/gross stuff. On the other hand, it also has:

The police station attack.
Some fun with Marcone
"... then I blew the tires off his loving truck."

It's funny how the truck thing strikes me as a more fist-pump worthy moment than a lot of the more spectacular stuff he does later in the series.

Yeah, the action set pieces in Fool Moon are genuinely good. It's just that the worst excesses of the series are present in full force without as many of its later redeeming features.

I do enjoy the (comparatively) subtle narrative that Harry is Harry's biggest problem in the book though; his overconfidence drat near gets him killed and leaves him mostly powerless for the final confrontation with the hexenwolves, and his general belief that he knows best and the people around him can't be trusted with dangerous information does get his friend killed and convinces his other friend (with some justification) that he is dangerous and untrustworthy.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Kea posted:

Just finished my reread of the second book. Arguably worse than the first to be honest. MUCH more awful Dresden perving, specifically the female hexenwolf he CONSTANTLY mentions her boobs, often times 2 or 3 times in the space of a page or two. Also Murphy is loving horrible in this book too.

My favorite part of his obsession with the female hexenwolf is he always has to find some excuse to call her a 'bitch' over and over, like that's some clever joke Jim Butcher was in love with.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Reading the first Sandman Slim. It owns:

"I'm the Joesph Stalin of laundry."
"I found a BMW SUV a block a way, which is way too many letters together and made me feel better about stealing it."

I just finished binging Alex Verus and Slim takes itself waaaaay less seriously and is better off for it.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Keep reading, let us know how that goes for you

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tokenbrownguy posted:

"I found a BMW SUV a block a way, which is way too many letters together and made me feel better about stealing it."

I just finished binging Alex Verus and Slim takes itself waaaaay less seriously and is better off for it.

Yeah, I found it a pretty fun series.

The Everything Box is another one by him I really enjoyed.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

tokenbrownguy posted:

Sandman slim is the top tier urban fantasy. Everything else should be compared to it.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Sandman Slim is always a hoot.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I've been rereading Stormfront for a lark and holy poo poo I forgot what a smug shithead Dresden is. Like, the entire start of the book has him whining that people keep asking him what a wizard does right after he acknowledges that normal people don't know about wizards and yet he still hates people who asks just what does he do. He also refuses to actually show or tell them. Yadda yadda masquerade but he openly advertises himself to be a drat wizard.

Also the whole thing where this guy hires him to see if this place is haunted and he just goes there, tells the dude he's on drugs, gets paid and leave just... Well, that ages poorly after him blowing people off for almost identical stuff gets them killed later on.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I found it a pretty fun series.

The Everything Box is another one by him I really enjoyed.

The Everything box is infinitely better than Sandman Slim.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Kchama posted:

I've been rereading Stormfront for a lark and holy poo poo I forgot what a smug shithead Dresden is. Like, the entire start of the book has him whining that people keep asking him what a wizard does right after he acknowledges that normal people don't know about wizards and yet he still hates people who asks just what does he do. He also refuses to actually show or tell them. Yadda yadda masquerade but he openly advertises himself to be a drat wizard.

Also the whole thing where this guy hires him to see if this place is haunted and he just goes there, tells the dude he's on drugs, gets paid and leave just... Well, that ages poorly after him blowing people off for almost identical stuff gets them killed later on.

A lot of that's down to Butcher clearly not having a handle on his worldbuilding yet; I would say that all the way through Stormfront and most of the way through Full Moon, Dresden never explains himself because the author doesn't know what a wizard does. Dresden in Stormfront displays a level of magical talent barely greater than Garrett, P.I. He's a dude with a gun and some location spells and potions.

That's why the only good part of Full Moon is when he cuts loose and blasts a werewolf through a building. It's a serious tonal shift that carries through to the rest of the series.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

A lot of that's down to Butcher clearly not having a handle on his worldbuilding yet; I would say that all the way through Stormfront and most of the way through Full Moon, Dresden never explains himself because the author doesn't know what a wizard does. Dresden in Stormfront displays a level of magical talent barely greater than Garrett, P.I. He's a dude with a gun and some location spells and potions.

That's why the only good part of Full Moon is when he cuts loose and blasts a werewolf through a building. It's a serious tonal shift that carries through to the rest of the series.

Sometimes, I like to look at amazing author's first books and compare them to the rest of their books. And just kind of smile because this is where you started and look at how far you've come. Look at how far you have left to go.

and one day if I work hard enough, maybe someone will do that to my books, too.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

How does this even work though? How do you not have any understanding of the entire premise of the story, and yet write the entire start of the story to be revolving around that question you can't answer? That's the rankest incompetence you can get. And Dresden comes off as a complete shitheel due to it, even as he tries to make it sound like he's principled as a result. And the worst thing is he doesn't even seem to LIKE being a wizard. He gets upset when Murphy calls him about his only steady job, and also gets upset at the lady who hired him privately for more or less hiring him.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Sometimes, I like to look at amazing author's first books and compare them to the rest of their books. And just kind of smile because this is where you started and look at how far you've come. Look at how far you have left to go.

and one day if I work hard enough, maybe someone will do that to my books, too.

Too bad we're not talking about an amazing author.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It would be kinda neat if we got a short story from another character's perspective of the early books, where Harry just looks like an rear end in a top hat the entire time.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Kchama posted:

How does this even work though? How do you not have any understanding of the entire premise of the story, and yet write the entire start of the story to be revolving around that question you can't answer?

Storm Front was originally a way to get past Butcher's writer's block - essentially a literary laxative that was accidentally good enough to publish. Fool Moon was written while he tried to get the first book published. It wasn't until book 3 that it was a deliberately crafted series. Coincidentally, this is widely considered to coincide with a significant increase in quality.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
:airquote: Widely :airquote:

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Gnoman posted:

Storm Front was originally a way to get past Butcher's writer's block - essentially a literary laxative that was accidentally good enough to publish. Fool Moon was written while he tried to get the first book published. It wasn't until book 3 that it was a deliberately crafted series. Coincidentally, this is widely considered to coincide with a significant increase in quality.

I didn't feel book three was all that much better, if at all. It has a lot of the same issues with Harry's personality that the first two books do. And indeed, I'm pretty sure that gets people killed yet again and he doesn't act like he ever gives a gently caress.

And 'deliberately crafted' the book is almost entirely new characters coming out of nowhere and reassuring the reader that they've been there the entire time, and just were never mentioned.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Love the point in the thread cycle where we all decide suddenly that Dresden sucks and was never good.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The third book is basically a refined version of the first one.

jivjov posted:

Love the point in the thread cycle where we all decide suddenly that Dresden sucks and was never good.

Yes, it's pretty ironic. At first we were like men who were starving and anything we could eat was delicious, but now we have been living in abundance and luxury, and anything less than the most delicate and exquisite food is ofensive.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
I picked up Storm Front on a lark on a camping trip, and promptly fell in love with the series. I really enjoy the Dresden Files, and it got me back into reading.

The novels have some problems, it isn't for everyone, but I do enjoy reading the Dresden Files.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So the first two Craft Sequence books were neat, but I'm disappointed that it changes protagonists each book. I was totally on board to read a whole series about an rear end in a top hat wizard lawyer and all of her adventures, but it seems like the author is more enamored with his worldbuilding, which is serviceable but not really amazing- it basically strikes me as discount Shadowrun.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

jivjov posted:

Don't drive-by white noise post, geez. Unless you're just trying to drum up people to run in and talk about how they love it. Sure, maybe it gets good. Maybe it doesn't. But I'm rereading it and drat I hate it.

Of course I never did like it in the first place. I sure as heck didn't suddenly changed my mind about its goodness. Do you really have nothing to contribute? At least I'm reading and talking about the topic.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Aug 10, 2019

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Why are you reading a series you hate? Doubly so when it's a reread and you didnt like it the first time.

I dont want to kink shame, but that seems masochistic.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Ornamented Death posted:

Why are you reading a series you hate? Doubly so when it's a reread and you didnt like it the first time.

I dont want to kink shame, but that seems masochistic.

I wanted to give it a second try to make sure I wasn't being unfair to it. And I thought it'd be good for discussion to see if I'm just misinterpreting things.

Also I'm stupid. Peek into the Honor Harrington thread if you wanna see the depths of my stupidity.

I don't mind getting told I'm wrong, but that kind of post really irks me.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

jivjov posted:

After reading Rivers of London and, well, pretty much everything else, Dresden does suck.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

As somebody who read Dresden this year there are tons of reasons to hate the series.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Aug 11, 2019

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Kchama posted:

I wanted to give it a second try to make sure I wasn't being unfair to it. And I thought it'd be good for discussion to see if I'm just misinterpreting things.

Which things? That it gets better in book 3? That just because Harry is the first-person narrator it doesn't mean that Butcher thinks he's perfect or that we should?

Dresden Files was one of the origin points for a particular kind of fiction. Of course some of the authors who followed it made improvements. They'd be poo poo authors if they didn't. Sometimes somebody has to screw something up for the first time before it becomes clear what constitutes screwing up.

Jumping from that to "this author is loving horrible" is a big jump. Butcher is, for example, a much better writer in almost every way than Weber (though maybe not so much in those first two books). He can present human emotion, even when his narrator doesn't recognize it. He's synthesized a bunch of fantasy traditions into something that's somewhat coherent, though a bit of a mess. He's written several pretty strong characters, though it'd be nice if more of them were women. He's neither humorless nor is he presenting a psychopath as a hero.

Let us know which of those claims I just made you disagree with and we'll see if the thread's willing to discuss.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Taking a look through the other thread I'm pretty sure Kchama doesn't like Weber at all.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Kchama posted:

Don't drive-by white noise post, geez. Unless you're just trying to drum up people to run in and talk about how they love it. Sure, maybe it gets good. Maybe it doesn't. But I'm rereading it and drat I hate it.

Of course I never did like it in the first place. I sure as heck didn't suddenly changed my mind about its goodness. Do you really have nothing to contribute? At least I'm reading and talking about the topic.

Sorry I hit a nerve. But hey, read what you want, even if you don't like it. That's cool with me

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Omi no Kami posted:

So the first two Craft Sequence books were neat, but I'm disappointed that it changes protagonists each book. I was totally on board to read a whole series about an rear end in a top hat wizard lawyer and all of her adventures, but it seems like the author is more enamored with his worldbuilding, which is serviceable but not really amazing- it basically strikes me as discount Shadowrun.

Cool, so i'm not the only one who thought this.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hub Cat posted:

Cool, so i'm not the only one who thought this.

Yeah... I'm nitpicking a bit, because in all fairness the first book had a perfectly satisfying conclusion to that character's arc, but wizards doing contract law felt like it had a lot of unused potential. In comparison, book 2's thing of midlife crisis corporate drone loves dad, even if he does occasionally cut someone's heart out still worked perfectly well, but it didn't get me nearly as excited.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Narsham posted:

Which things? That it gets better in book 3? That just because Harry is the first-person narrator it doesn't mean that Butcher thinks he's perfect or that we should?

Dresden Files was one of the origin points for a particular kind of fiction. Of course some of the authors who followed it made improvements. They'd be poo poo authors if they didn't. Sometimes somebody has to screw something up for the first time before it becomes clear what constitutes screwing up.

Jumping from that to "this author is loving horrible" is a big jump. Butcher is, for example, a much better writer in almost every way than Weber (though maybe not so much in those first two books). He can present human emotion, even when his narrator doesn't recognize it. He's synthesized a bunch of fantasy traditions into something that's somewhat coherent, though a bit of a mess. He's written several pretty strong characters, though it'd be nice if more of them were women. He's neither humorless nor is he presenting a psychopath as a hero.

Let us know which of those claims I just made you disagree with and we'll see if the thread's willing to discuss.

So here's the thing. The fact that he was an early urban fantasy author really has nothing to do with the things that I dislike about Dresden Files. He writes Stormfront as if he's aiming for a noir mystery. He's completely incompetent at it, but it's what he's attempting. The magic and stuff is all just a skin for it and really does the book no favors. He's trying to have this big mystery in a setup where there's no rules for the mystery. He introduces a lot of magic elements but doesn't really make it clear how this interacts with the mystery. In fact, it becomes clear that Butcher himself really doesn't understand himself, and is just making poo poo up as he goes along.

I'll be a little fair to him. Writing a supernatural mystery is very hard. Harder than writing a regular mystery, in fact, because you have a lot more to set up. You not only need to set up the situation and circumstances, but also anything that might complicate the mystery that would not be obvious from it just being a normal non-supernatural mystery.

The problem is, Butcher doesn't have the chops for a supernatural murder mystery, much less a normal murder mystery. Take the heart-exploding killing magic from Stormfront. Very little is really established about it and often-times the book contradicts itself several times on what it would take to cast it in a way to fit the crime. As a mystery, it's one of the worst I've ever read, and it does it to itself.

My other major complaint over all was that Dresden is just a poo poo-head. Like, he's way worse than Honor is. You say it's good that he's not a psychopath but other people have said stuff that makes me wonder. And then there's the fact that he just won't stop being a shithead to everyone. He is constantly bitching about his own customers asking him to do things that he feels is below him because he won't say what a wizard is, despite openly advertising. And as I mentioned earlier, it's never said to be due to any kind of masquerade. He just thinks they should know, despite his own monologues about how regular people don't know about magic, even though that really doesn't make sense in such a setting. The Dresden Files also have a very strange human-oriented morality that doesn't help either.

The point of all of this is to say that he wasn't really doing anything new with Dresden Files. It was more or less a regular story with a slight skin on it. It's as tepid as it gets. Even in 2000 it wasn't anything amazing. Tsukihime, of all things, came out just a few months later and is a much better urban fantasy story, and I can can assure you was a hell of a lot more imaginative and inventive.

I don't know where you got that I like Weber and am seeking to compare Weber favorably to Butcher. I was pointing out the Weber thread because it's about how I've read the dumb-gently caress books of his and want to finally get to rant to people who aren't adoring fans.

I do disagree that Butcher is a better author than Weber, though. I think they both are awful at what they do but had a niche in it that mad them popular. You could pretty much just replace 'Weber' with 'Butcher' and vice versa there and it'd make about as much sense.

jivjov posted:

Sorry I hit a nerve. But hey, read what you want, even if you don't like it. That's cool with me
Maybe don't run in to post a "HOW DARE YOU NOT LIKE DRESDEN FILES NOW" post, then, if you're cool with it. Sheesh.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, I will agree with most complaints about Dresden Files but if you're going to start pointing to loving Tsukihime then I'm going to assume you're looking at Tsukihime through rose tinted glasses from hell and back. It takes like a decade of retcons and cleaning up before Tsukihime is remotely not creepy as poo poo and then the only real interesting stuff tends to come from errata or side stuff.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Man, I will agree with most complaints about Dresden Files but if you're going to start pointing to loving Tsukihime then I'm going to assume you're looking at Tsukihime through rose tinted glasses from hell and back. It takes like a decade of retcons and cleaning up before Tsukihime is remotely not creepy as poo poo and then the only real interesting stuff tends to come from errata or side stuff.

There's a reason why I said 'of all things'.

You can't deny it was more inventive than Dresden Files.

Like, the point was that things that did Urban Fantasy better existed in the same time period. Storm Front, Fool Moon, and Grave Peril are straight up worse, even with Tsukihime's problems.

EDIT: You ninja-editor!

And you could easily put 'Dresden Files' in there and be a lot more correct. And hell, from what everything that's been said is, Dresden Files gets creepier as time goes on!

Kchama fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 11, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kchama posted:

There's a reason why I said 'of all things'.

You can't deny it was more inventive than Dresden Files.

Sure I can.

Tsukihime has some interesting worldbuilding but that comes later down the line. The original story is *awful* to actually read. Like just awful. It has some okay ideas baked into it but they're buried under writing that is poo poo in Japanese and absolutely goddamn awful to read translated without a really good translator doing everything they can to make it read less terribly. It managed to latch on because of the few ideas it had and more significantly because people wanted to/were able to bone most of the cast. If you're going to lambaste how terrible Butcher's early work is (which is 100% fair, don't get me wrong) you can't really escape Tsukihime being *significantly* worse, even before you get to the part where it's a literal porn game that someone had to mod sex scene skipping into to get to the turgid prose.

Kchama posted:

Like, the point was that things that did Urban Fantasy better existed in the same time period. Storm Front, Fool Moon, and Grave Peril are straight up worse, even with Tsukihime's problems.

Urban Fantasy absolutely existed before Butcher but for good or ill he has basically established the baseline for the genre now. Most writers do better than him but it's not unreasonable to say that we wouldn't have the same modern Urban Fantasy landscape without Butcher. Part of it is him getting lucky but he was able to hit on the magic formula, well-written-or-not, which seemed to really catch people in a way a lot of other stuff didn't. The Rivers of London Series or Verus or whatnot all are born out of his stuff and the fact that his stuff wasn't particularly original isn't really any more relevant than the fact that Harry Potter was just "boarding school adventures" with magic.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 11, 2019

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Cut to shorten post
The porn parts are really awful, yep, but I enjoyed Tsukihime and it's ideas a lot more than the early Dresden books. I think you're 500000% wrong about it being significantly worse, or even worse at all. It especially did not make a rank mockery of my favorite genre of books like the Dresden Files does.

quote:

Cut to shorten post.

Well, that's a shame, because the baseline is the basement then.

By the way, if I sound like I'm defending Tsukihime, it's totally cuz I am. I read it a decade ago and it was really inspiring in terms of how I want to write and what kind of setting I'd want to make. Like, bad translation aside, it's use of first-person is something I hadn't seen done so evocatively, and really meshed with its setting to be Extremely Up My Alley. Like, I'll be honest: I won't say anyone sucks for liking Dresden Files. I'll rant about hating it, but I'm extremely cool with them arguing about why they like it. Or just chiming in to say they like it. Because I understand.

EDIT: Also I couldn't understand half of what you were saying because it was written incomprehensibly, so I just guessed. People were born? Tsukihime was retconned and that's why people like it now? Huh?

Kchama fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 11, 2019

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Kchama posted:

EDIT: Also I couldn't understand half of what you were saying because it was written incomprehensibly, so I just guessed.

ImpAtom posted:

It managed to latch on because of the few ideas it had and more significantly because people wanted to/were able to born most of the cast.
I think they meant to write bone and got autocorrected.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hub Cat posted:

Yeah, sorry. I need to stop trying to write anything more than five lines on my phone.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Hub Cat posted:

Oh. Yeah you're probably right. Eh, you could say that about anything that gets popular, though. It got a non-boning fighting game sequel, so people apparently thought the action was cool. I know I did.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, sorry. I need to stop trying to write anything more than five lines on my phone.

Oh, that's cool. Sorry, I was just legitimately confused about a lot of the post as a result of some of that stuff. I'll do my best to try and be more understanding as a result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kchama posted:

Oh. Yeah you're probably right. Eh, you could say that about anything that gets popular, though. It got a non-boning fighting game sequel, so people apparently thought the action was cool. I know I did.

Oh, that's cool. Sorry, I was just legitimately confused about a lot of the post as a result of some of that stuff. I'll do my best to try and be more understanding as a result.

Nah, it's fair. It's a written medium and incoherent writing kinda defeats that.