Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Also while sort of on the topic of pain, I've got a general question for you turd. I'm pretty well aware of the basic methodology to deal with pain in lifting, cut intensity, or cut ROM, or substitute exercises until your body isn't in threat mode anymore. But what about pain that the lifts don't directly affect? Ever since my crazy high volume deadlift max out week, my SI has been a little irritated. The pain itself only randomly pops up here and there, just a sort of burning ache, 1-2/10. Lifting doesn't bother it at all. Seems like it's mostly standing(i noticed it mostly at work) or even sitting if its for long periods.

I'm guessing in situations like that, you just monitor it and as long as lifting doesn't seem to be making it worse you just keep on going? I'm not too worried about it, was just curious if the bbm guys ever had anything to say about that. It's usually stuff on how to work around pain that affects your lifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Maybe the "activation" is just sort of acting as an indirect cue? You sit there and do a few bird dogs and 1 leg hip fucks into the air or whatever and your brain is suddenly focused on your rear end and using it good. Perhaps that helps in the squat? I know for a fact the McGill Big 3 helps before I squat or dead. Is it just placebo? Or could it be what I said? Or maybe its something else indirect. For instance most glute activation stuff can stretch your hip flexors a little, perhaps that has an effect?

Hip flexor stretching definitely has an effect. You should do that stretch before every lower body session (and probably every day as well if you sit a lot).

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

UnfurledSails posted:

What were those exercises?

1) 10 each leg side laying leg lefts with my heel laying against the wall.
2) 30s Banded quadriceps prone stretch.
3) 10 each leg pistols for ROM.
4) 30s the glute clench thing.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Maybe the "activation" is just sort of acting as an indirect cue? You sit there and do a few bird dogs and 1 leg hip fucks into the air or whatever and your brain is suddenly focused on your rear end and using it good. Perhaps that helps in the squat? I know for a fact the McGill Big 3 helps before I squat or dead. Is it just placebo? Or could it be what I said? Or maybe its something else indirect. For instance most glute activation stuff can stretch your hip flexors a little, perhaps that has an effect?

There's a actually a line about that in the article I quoted, and it says pretty much what you thought about it being useful for cueing. The BBM perspective is that time is better spent focusing on developing skill in the exercise than doing a lot of goofy exercises, though those exercises may be useful to help someone understand a cue. Once they understand it the exercise should be dropped.

quote:

(As for “activation work”: there is some mixed evidence behind the idea of “post-activation potentiation” as it relates to subsequent muscular performance, but not as a “corrective” exercise. These movements can also be used as part of a warmup or to cue a desired effect. However, in the setting of effective coaching these are typically unnecessary and waste valuable training time, especially when recommended on a regular basis.)

OP was talking about glute activation for pain specifically and that's what I was responding to.

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Also while sort of on the topic of pain, I've got a general question for you turd. I'm pretty well aware of the basic methodology to deal with pain in lifting, cut intensity, or cut ROM, or substitute exercises until your body isn't in threat mode anymore. But what about pain that the lifts don't directly affect? Ever since my crazy high volume deadlift max out week, my SI has been a little irritated. The pain itself only randomly pops up here and there, just a sort of burning ache, 1-2/10. Lifting doesn't bother it at all. Seems like it's mostly standing(i noticed it mostly at work) or even sitting if its for long periods.

I'm guessing in situations like that, you just monitor it and as long as lifting doesn't seem to be making it worse you just keep on going? I'm not too worried about it, was just curious if the bbm guys ever had anything to say about that. It's usually stuff on how to work around pain that affects your lifting.

Pretty much that. Watch for red flag signs like numbness/tingling, which may need physical therapy or may just need a break. TBH if you're lifting hard and heavy you should probably get used to the idea of having random 1-2/10 aches and pains during high volume/intensity training. You'll feel better when you deload.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Today I went to work, got off my desk at the end of the day and went downstairs to the awesome new gym, banged out a full leg day, and at 8p went back to my desk to get my keys to find my boss still there, impressed by my gym dedication.

I am really going to love this job and it's going to help me get so yuge.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I tweaked my SI a few years back and it resulted in similar pain. Anti inflammatories and ice/heat for 6 weeks fixed me up. I resisted going to the doc but had chronic pain for a couple months.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I like you bomb, but how do you feel about eating rear end?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

doverhog posted:

I like you bomb, but how do you feel about eating rear end?

Given the right situation why not?

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

In my experience there isn't much point going to a doctor for msk stuff unless you think it's broken or have any neurological signs or its not going away after a reasonable time

just chill for a bit and start moving within tolerance asap then maybe see a physical therapist if you need guidance on how to work around it

i went to a doc after a back thing because i booked an appointment right away but had to wait. by the time i got to the appointment i was already front squatting and poo poo but her assessment was "touch your toes" which i could barely do due to sore legs and not stretching (ive since remedied this) ... So she's like "you're all seized up no lofting just rest. if you need to lift make sure you only do seated exercise (because that doesn't load your spine right???)" . i felt like that was sort of a waste of time

I went to a physio that recommended some one leg movements so i could get some strengthening done without loading the spine too much and improve mobility, and just kept working out within tolerance til it was better.

If you're mildly hurt just take some fuckin nsaids for a few days and slow down for a bit and things seem to fall into place eventually

well that's my story

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I'm an actual doctor and most musculoskeletal advice from even sports medicine physicians is so laughably bad and wrong that if you followed it you'd never work out once you turned thirty.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Yeah just loving lol at going to a general practitioner for anything relating to sports and especially lifting

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Maybe I'm a spoiled brat because I've always had decent insurance but serious question -- why doesn't everyone go to a high-profile ortho that treats their local pro sports teams? I don't think they charge any more than other orthos, the only problem is the wait. Are they not in the network of worse insurances? The other possibility is that people just don't know to shop around for the better surgeon, my first shoulder surgery I just went to whoever the ER referred me to and he really hosed up.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fhqwhgads posted:

As of Monday this will be my strategy because the gym will be in the basement of my office. I actually can't wait to spend more time at work because of this.

My gym is in the top floor of our office building. I sit in the chair for four hours without moving and then go up and start squatting immediately.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

My gym is in the top floor of our office building. I sit in the chair for four hours without moving and then go up and start squatting immediately.

Exactly what I did yesterday and it was glorious.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
What’s the issue with sports med? Are they all too cautious?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm an actual doctor and most musculoskeletal advice from even sports medicine physicians is so laughably bad and wrong that if you followed it you'd never work out once you turned thirty.

*waits an hour in reception*
*waits 30 minutes in room*
Just take some ibuprofen
*receives bill for $150*

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

barkbell posted:

I have no idea what I'm talking about but "sports medicine" basically seems like the equivalent of a dumb meaningless minor you take one or two extra classes for. I base this entirely on the fact that I sought out a sports medicine physician for my annual physical because I thought it would be cool to have pcp that understands recreational athletes but he was just a regular doctor. I asked him on practical advice on how to manage finger sprains during rec sports and his response was the same as any other doctor: "idk, get an x Ray, see if it's broken (it wasn't and I could have told him that without an x Ray)

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

bomb posted:

*waits an hour in reception*
*waits 30 minutes in room*
Just take some ibuprofen
*receives bill for $150*

second time you go you get referred to a physical therapist that recommends you do stretches and gives you dry needling treatment

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Everything hurts and I want to die.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

At least you can stream Tool now and not just lovely youtube rips.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

barkbell posted:

No it's that they're designed to screen for actual MSK dysfunction and the necessity of orthopedic intervention which isn't the cause of 99.9% of pain and discomfort in the healthy adult and stuff that actually helps is inevitably going to come from a physical therapist.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Every doctor I’ve ever gone to for sports injury has basically advised to stop working out forever. It’s horse poo poo. I think they are all paranoid about malpractice lawsuits or something.

Gimme that nfl doc with the roids tia

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Just go to an actual Sports Physical Therapist if you are in a state with direct access. They're trained in doing diagnosis, and if it's something that you need to be referred to an MD, they'll send you.

Sports PTs load you, and keep you going.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Doc my elbow hurts

Hmm yess I definitely have no idea how to cure this so just stop using your elbow please

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

I loving love my sports PT.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah sports PT are great, my friend is one so I just harass them when I have questions

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

So I just signed up for the Hybrid Performance Powerlifting training. Surprisingly cheap at 40CAD per month. I'll give a trip report as my GAINS appear.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Just hit 295 in bench, my goal for a while has been 300 and this was a 15lb pr. I probably could have gotten 300 but wanted to be conservative and the jump I was making anyway was a lot. Closing in on 400lb squat and will max out deadlift in a few weeks to see where I am at but overall conjugate is awesome and this is the most fun I have had lifting in years. My weight has stayed around 180 but thanks to crohn's it probably wont get much higher

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

B-Rock452 posted:

Just hit 295 in bench, my goal for a while has been 300 and this was a 15lb pr. I probably could have gotten 300 but wanted to be conservative and the jump I was making anyway was a lot. Closing in on 400lb squat and will max out deadlift in a few weeks to see where I am at but overall conjugate is awesome and this is the most fun I have had lifting in years. My weight has stayed around 180 but thanks to crohn's it probably wont get much higher
Thats awesome! What does your conjugate set up look like?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m 99% sure it was this thread where someone threw the name of a high protein frozen dinner company out there but for the life of me I can’t find it and google is 0 help.

I just got back from a long trip and don’t have time to meal prep for the next few days so I need to run to the store and grab a few things to hold me over.

Does anyone remember the name of them? I remember they said they weren’t really cheap but the macros were good and the food was decent.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

MarcusSA posted:

I’m 99% sure it was this thread where someone threw the name of a high protein frozen dinner company out there but for the life of me I can’t find it and google is 0 help.

I just got back from a long trip and don’t have time to meal prep for the next few days so I need to run to the store and grab a few things to hold me over.

Does anyone remember the name of them? I remember they said they weren’t really cheap but the macros were good and the food was decent.

it's called "salami", idiot

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

MarcusSA posted:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

14g lol

almost as much as a tiny cup of yogurt

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Molten cheese is anabolic

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
14g of protein per 310 kcal seems like a good fit for the frog-tech program

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

MarcusSA posted:

RealGoodFood IIRC

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KingShiro posted:

RealGoodFood IIRC

Yes!!! Thank you!

The rest of you 🙄🙄🙄🙄

I’m so loving bloated after traveling.

Ps also buying some salami.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

david carmichael posted:

Thats awesome! What does your conjugate set up look like?

Keep in mind I have a pretty bare bones home gym set up right now but here is how I have run the last 2 weeks

ME Upper: Max effort bench single against average elitefts mini band and light mini
Floor press 3× 6-8
Banded face pulls a lot
Pull ups 3 ×max

ME Lower: Max effort front squat with 50 lbs chains
Pause squats 3 ×6-8
Good mornings 3 × 12
Planks/hanging leg raise

DE upper: speed bench against average mini band (I find using bands for speed bench has helped with elbow pain)
2 board press 3×5 ( I have been going really heavy on these)
Pushups against average band 3×max

DE lower: box squat 3×8
rack pulls 3×5 (again going heavy with these)
planks

conditioning wise I have been just carrying a 80lb sandbag outside on my non training days

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I'm going to Ireland for 10 days. Assuming I can't find Clarence, how many calories do I need to eat to avoid losing strength?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Don't sweat it. There are some pretty hard limits on how much strength you can lose in ten days unless you're fasting and/or doing excessive running. You might be a little worse off the first week back, but by the second week you'll be fine.