Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

I think most people would actually rather play worlds designed by individual makers then play endless where the signal to noise ratio swings wildly. The issue then is that the chances of any given level being played goes down, because few people are playing rando anymore and instead are going to be playing the worlds made by popular streamers/makers and maybe someone else.

I wonder if this is the case? I love endless, haven't looked at the popular tabs like ever

I think a tenacious creator could make a popular worldset, but it needs to have a good signature; something that makes this levelset yours and nobody elses. So good design for sure

But Mario Maker desperately needs an app, a search function, and a good showcase for this to be viable at all. Maker codes are barriers to many

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Spellman posted:

But Mario Maker desperately needs an app, a search function, and a good showcase for this to be viable at all. Maker codes are barriers to many

Yeah, user design is all about making things simpler and easier. Exactly what's terrible about accessing levels in this game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
People would play the worlds designed by people who are already popular for the most part. Worlds designed by random people, no matter how good, would likely get ignored entirely. Ya know, kind of like how it works already with levels.

A world mode would just compound all the issues with level sharing in this game.

J-Spot posted:

I'm actually of the opposite opinion. I've seen people try to stick to a single game style and theme for their worlds, and while individually the levels were fine I found myself getting bored sequentially playing levels in the same tileset made with the same person's design sensibilities. Of course a collab project would solve the second part.

There's no reason for it all to be in the same theme, but I feel like swapping game styles is just weird. Going from Super Mario Bros to NSMB kind of shatters any illusion of there being a cohesive world to me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't need for there to be any sort of graphical overworld or map or anything, but even if we were given the option to chain like... 4 to 8 levels together, that'd be enough. And by chain, I mean you start the next level with the same power up, number of lives, score, and coin count as you ended the previous level.

That alone would be great.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Last Visible Dog posted:

Mega Action Robot: M.A.R.I.O.
CN5-K4D-9MF

I see this one is currently killing it in popular. Congrats, goon!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I made a level involving the car. But not in the way you'd think.

gone for the time being while I fix stuff with it

It's back. I made it so getting a secret didn't gently caress up being able to progress, and added a couple tiny mulligans.

Red-Hot Highway
5F9-0L7-S4G
outdated

edit: And am up to 1010 in the spreadsheet.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 12, 2019

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008
I wish I had more time and energy to put into making levels, you guys do amazing work! Here's a quick one since I haven't been able to make a stage in a week and have been going through maker withdrawals:

FK9-DGS-F2G
Mind the waves
(The red coins are optional)

I really want to make some kinda gimmicky levels but every time I start on one, I get frustrated or lost so I end up just making a much more vanilla style mario romp, but at least I enjoy playing my own levels which is a plus.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

blitz level!

Rocky's Ski Lodge - PRS WB8 LFF

enjoy a short icy romp through rooms of rocky wrenches, slopes and unleashed chomps.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

J-Spot posted:

I see this one is currently killing it in popular. Congrats, goon!

Oh, thanks! It's certainly been surreal!
I think I just managed to hit that right level of novelty and playability.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Gandor posted:

I wish I had more time and energy to put into making levels, you guys do amazing work! Here's a quick one since I haven't been able to make a stage in a week and have been going through maker withdrawals:

FK9-DGS-F2G
Mind the waves
(The red coins are optional)

I really want to make some kinda gimmicky levels but every time I start on one, I get frustrated or lost so I end up just making a much more vanilla style mario romp, but at least I enjoy playing my own levels which is a plus.
The layout was decent but the amount of hazards on the screen at one time could stand to be dialed back. At a single moment I had bouncing koops, leaping fish, bullet bills, and plant fire all on the screen at once.

mektarian posted:

Switch Harbor
RNJ-D0P-FRG
This is a level I made that has some exploration elements. I wanted collecting pink coins to be required to finish the level, but I made them optional since dying after getting them all would reset them.
I'm not usually a big fan of levels that prioritize exploration but this one had some nice detail and didn't suffer from the bloat that a lot of these stages tend to have. I was able to get all of the red coins.

alf_pogs posted:

blitz level!

Rocky's Ski Lodge - PRS WB8 LFF

enjoy a short icy romp through rooms of rocky wrenches, slopes and unleashed chomps.

Not much to say but it's decent for a blitz level.

Phantasium posted:

I made a level involving the car. But not in the way you'd think.

gone for the time being while I fix stuff with it

It's back. I made it so getting a secret didn't gently caress up being able to progress, and added a couple tiny mulligans.

Red-Hot Highway
5F9-0L7-S4G

edit: And am up to 1010 in the spreadsheet.

I thought the world had given up on trying to make a fun koopa car level. I thought the ideas in this one were solid but it was pretty frustrating to play. After the checkpoint I honestly wasn't sure what the intended solution was. I'm pretty sure you wanted the player to outrun the koopa car, jump up at the wall ahead of it and then bounce off of it like you did in the first part but I felt like that was way too janky to actually pull off. Trying to actually get in the koopa car by bouncing on it from the pipe would have required god-like timing. Finally I settled on stealing the car on the slope where you have just enough ceiling room to pull it off and form there it's easy enough to jump off in the air. The next section was plagued by the camera scrolling too high and the airship camera bobbing making if difficult to see what the koopa below me was doing.

Avirosb posted:

Well that I did not think of.
It's easier if you hit the ? block, then you get a vine. That's why I put those spikes there.
I suppose I could have put a vine somewhere as an indicator but I just assumed people would hit the block. Guess I was wrong.

I always love thwarting people's assumptions of how people will play their level but pulling it off anyway. I revisited that stage to see that section and I think what you should have done was lower the question block so that it can be hit before the on/off block. By having the player change the track first their mind is going to be on where the block is going, not what the contents might be.

Gandor
Apr 22, 2008

J-Spot posted:

The layout was decent but the amount of hazards on the screen at one time could stand to be dialed back. At a single moment I had bouncing koops, leaping fish, bullet bills, and plant fire all on the screen at once.

Agreed, it was a bit overflowing with baddies at points. That's probably my biggest struggle: Gauging overall difficulty vs. overcompensation. I tend to overvalue powerups and assume once people have a fireflower it's EZ mode and they will beat the level no matter what unless I throw everything and the kitchen sink at them. Thanks for playing it, I'll try to consider that more for future levels.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

J-Spot posted:

I thought the world had given up on trying to make a fun koopa car level.

Maybe I should have, by the sounds of it.

quote:

I thought the ideas in this one were solid but it was pretty frustrating to play. After the checkpoint I honestly wasn't sure what the intended solution was. I'm pretty sure you wanted the player to outrun the koopa car, jump up at the wall ahead of it and then bounce off of it like you did in the first part but I felt like that was way too janky to actually pull off. Trying to actually get in the koopa car by bouncing on it from the pipe would have required god-like timing. Finally I settled on stealing the car on the slope where you have just enough ceiling room to pull it off and form there it's easy enough to jump off in the air.

The answer is the crate, if you throw it behind you (or even in front of you, as I found out towards the end), the koopa car will run into it and bounce off it (assuming you're far enough ahead to let the crate land, otherwise he slams right through) which gives you some breathing room to get ahead and set up the jump. I really wish the slopes would truly allow a small corridor to exist without giving you room to jump on top of the koopa but oh well.

quote:

The next section was plagued by the camera scrolling too high and the airship camera bobbing making if difficult to see what the koopa below me was doing.

I need to give that area a lower ceiling... Gave it a slightly lower ceiling, but raised the bottom up so you can see, and also reworked a secret and the ending to that section. Also added a few columns in areas just for flavor (it seemed silly that the first bit of road you see isn't red but rainbow colored, given the name).

Red-Hot Highway
TT6-GJX-TVG

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Aug 11, 2019

Udenpah
Mar 26, 2007
To see the mote that I preferred to all the lists of clay

Phantasium posted:

I need to give that area a lower ceiling... Gave it a slightly lower ceiling, but raised the bottom up so you can see, and also reworked a secret and the ending to that section. Also added a few columns in areas just for flavor (it seemed silly that the first bit of road you see isn't red but rainbow colored, given the name).

Red-Hot Highway
TT6-GJX-TVG

I beat your earlier and current versions of this level (and found a soft lock only achievable via extreme ineptitude). Thoughts: For whatever reason I've gotten in the groove and I can reliably do the car jumps which I found pretty satisfying. The spike block section was the biggest stickler for me, and the lowered ceiling and now even red/blue spike blocks makes that section much, much smoother. The slowing-cars-down-with-the-box trick also took awhile to figure out at first because there are so few car levels, and I managed to carry the first box into the second chase section and use it to kill the koopa which didn't end up helping me very much. I think I found at least one secret near the second checkpoint. Overall, I liked the pacing and core concept of car hops and I think the changes definitely helped.

Also, I added more levels to the spreadsheet and have been trying to play a mix of R.A.M and recently posted levels in the thread. I've been mostly enjoying goon levels so far. Sorry for my poor drawings in the comments.

Udenpah fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 11, 2019

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Help I can't stop making dumb chain jumping climb stages.

Mario's Moon Mission

YMN-70G-5QG

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 13, 2019

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Threw together a couple levels this weekend:

Ghostface Killa M4Y-LLH-CTF

A ghost house!

Speed Circle 30 seconds THH-9NH-M5G

First speed level I've ever made. Bunch of jumps in sucession and some pink coins.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1160682308334235650

Make a movie themed Mario course! Maybe, a superhero movie?

Imaginary Friend
Jan 27, 2010

Your Best Friend
So I finally made a level that feels somewhat tight and more thought out than my older ones!

It's called Spinning Mansion!
CLX-9QJ-PNF

gropemotron
Feb 20, 2011

Another dimension, new galaxy
I'm gonna be streaming some Random Acts of Mario and viewer levels, hanging out with some of the discord goons as well. Come join me!!

https://www.twitch.tv/gropemotron

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Made a multiplayer race level.

Switchback Mountain

748-GV9-MSF

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

J-Spot posted:

I always love thwarting people's assumptions of how people will play their level but pulling it off anyway. I revisited that stage to see that section and I think what you should have done was lower the question block so that it can be hit before the on/off block.
By having the player change the track first their mind is going to be on where the block is going, not what the contents might be.

Maybe I can leave a comment on the stage to better convey my intention.
I have no idea how precise that is though.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Thank you for loving Freezerburn Fortress!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Rollersnake posted:

Thank you for loving Freezerburn Fortress!

Heh, got em

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Bowser 3 sucks in Mario Maker, so I can share their frustrations.

Udenpah posted:

I beat your earlier and current versions of this level (and found a soft lock only achievable via extreme ineptitude). Thoughts: For whatever reason I've gotten in the groove and I can reliably do the car jumps which I found pretty satisfying. The spike block section was the biggest stickler for me, and the lowered ceiling and now even red/blue spike blocks makes that section much, much smoother. The slowing-cars-down-with-the-box trick also took awhile to figure out at first because there are so few car levels, and I managed to carry the first box into the second chase section and use it to kill the koopa which didn't end up helping me very much. I think I found at least one secret near the second checkpoint. Overall, I liked the pacing and core concept of car hops and I think the changes definitely helped.

Thanks for the feedback, yours and others led to me being pretty happy with it overall now.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

DalaranJ posted:

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1160012489880457216

Again, as before you are allowed to use checkpoint flags.

Aww, I missed this completely due to a family emergency. :(

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

How long do you suppose it will be before we see a content update? The thread seems to have lulled a bit.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

NofrikinfuN posted:

How long do you suppose it will be before we see a content update? The thread seems to have lulled a bit.

The first update to feature new objects was released in December 2015, 3 months afterwards.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I am almost caught up with the goon list and have less than 100 levels to go.

So I predict they'll create a playlist feature a week from now just to gently caress with me.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

OneMoreTime posted:

The first update to feature new objects was released in December 2015, 3 months afterwards.

Thats far enough that I wonder how many lapsed makers will even come back to drop another dozen or so levels before they split again.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I think it'll help reign people in, especially if it's updates to 3D Worlds paltry offerings.

Recently looked back at some items/enemies from 3DLand and World and man, where's the Wallops, the Propeller Blocks, Gymnist poles etc. Hell just give me ways to decorate the stage please so they don't all look samey :negative:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Of all the styles, 3D world desperately needs more, or anything. It doesn't take much playing 3D world stages to realize that they all use the same elements in some way (switch spikes and thwomps.)

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I try really hard to do 3D world because I absolutely love the movement in it, but then halfway through I just get frustrated that so many things are missing and start over.

I've had a bunch of work stuff come up and traveling to different customers so I haven't been able to make mario :(

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
3D World has tons of potential, but it forces people to be more creative to make good levels in it. And why do that when you could just make another ON/OFF 20 second speedrun?

Really though, I do get the frustration. I have a bunch of ideas for 3D world but know many would be enhanced if I could use some of the missing parts. So part of me wants to just wait and hope they add those but at the same time they might never. It'd be nice if they at least said what their plans were.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

NofrikinfuN posted:

I know I'm probably about ready to slow down here and wait for some new stuff unless I'm hit with major inspiration. Of course we're still waiting on multiplayer with friends which may have changed their update plans. I'm not sure if anyone actually cares about that anymore.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As much as I love 3D world and want it to prosper and be given more tools, give me new styles first. Yoshi's Island and Mario 2, let's-a go.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I think I'd rather have more parts compared to new styles. One of the magical things about SMM is how objects interact with each other and the weird stuff that happens because of that. It feels like with a bit more you could blow things open with 3D world, or hell put them in the old styles! Why not? That being said, Nintendo has proven to be very good as of late of supporting their games post release so I bet we get some good stuff down the road.

...I would pay at least 5 bucks for an SMB all-stars tileset though.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

All I really want is for them to complete the SMB3 theme. Spinning platforms, nippers, micro-goombas, fire chomps... you don't realize how much they left out until you start trying to emulate some of the original levels.

Imagine how much insane stuff you could do if they just added the big 3 suits.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I mean they're all missing some things.

Adding the forest theme with water was cool, but I still want water blocks I can place in any arbitrary place I choose.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Too Shy Guy posted:

All I really want is for them to complete the SMB3 theme. Spinning platforms, nippers, micro-goombas, fire chomps... you don't realize how much they left out until you start trying to emulate some of the original levels.

Imagine how much insane stuff you could do if they just added the big 3 suits.

Yeah, 3 and World are both missing like half the elements of each game. I think they shot themselves in the foot with the "switch between game styles" gimmick. I'd rather each style be more complete and maybe have a few elements added from other modes. They already play completely differently anyway.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

NofrikinfuN posted:

Thats far enough that I wonder how many lapsed makers will even come back to drop another dozen or so levels before they split again.

I know I never came back to MM1. But I've poured so much time and effort into this one that it's going to be hard to put down come when school starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

So fun fact. Apparently the Angry sun works like fire and will ignite bom-ombs.

It's giving me terrible ideas.