Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't have Photoshop.

Gimp might do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I don't have Photoshop.

I use photopea.com

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Been looking for this image for forever:

From a house in Japan, IIRC.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"From the kitchen to the can, the efficient model of Japanese Home Living, circa 1983"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I bet they've got some real interesting pooping acoustics in there.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

ntan1 posted:

Almost done -

I will post the toilet when it's installed. Plumber ran into some small issues.

And here's the toilet

We are waiting on the shower to be installed because a part will arrive tomorrow (issue with rough in), but beyond that we are then ready for final inspection.

Beyond that there's touch up + installation of accessories like hanger, bidet control console, etc.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

PurpleXVI posted:

Also that second tub looks like an assassination opportunity in Hitman, shove the target over so he cracks his skull on the sharp edges.

I got a distinct Death of Marat vibe from that tub.

Dagen H posted:

You inspired me to find original episodes of Furniture to Go, so thanks :)

The Furniture Guys!

Wire brush? Because it works.

I love Joe and Ed. :hfive:

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I'm in love

They kept all the bathrooms :3:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

kawaii and sugoi

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
I feel like I'm the only person here that doesn't like MCM style.

I DO like how much light the interior gets, though.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Those sinks keep looking like horrifying faces.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I like MCM in general, but that house is fugly.

I despise parquet floors to an irrational extent, though.

Also I’m the (Photoshopped?) chair leg sitting on the return grate.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Rosemont posted:

:same:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Rosemont posted:

I just hate narrow windows which only exist above the shoulder or below the waist.

Whyyyyy?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just hate narrow windows which only exist above the shoulder or below the waist.

Whyyyyy?

There are whole walls of windows on the back of the house. The point of the narrow windows in front is privacy from the road. It's the 1950s. We want to be liberated from straightlaced societal norms and get back in tune with nature but oh heavens, don't let the neighbors see it!

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

The Furniture Guys!

Wire brush? Because it works.

I love Joe and Ed. :hfive:

The cambric (or dust cover)...

Everything I know about upholstery (which isn't much) I learned from the Furniture Guys.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Whyyyyy?

To let light in in places where you either don't have a view of anything or you don't want people to be able to easily see inside? I put 3 high windows in our living room (on a wall that didn't have any windows) since the room was always really dark, but i didn't want to have a big window looking right at my neighbor's front porch.

I am conflicted about posting pictures of our finished remodel. Our kitchen has no uppers and open shelves, which I am sure would offend many people in this thread. And we blew out the wall between the kitchen and dining room, so open floor plan on a vintage* house!

*House was built in the early 30's, but wasn't anything special like a Craftsman, so I didn't feel bad making pretty drastic changes. Our whole neighborhood was built for Scandinavian fisherman, so it wasn't anything fancy

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

slurry_curry posted:

I am conflicted about posting pictures of our finished remodel. Our kitchen has no uppers and open shelves, which I am sure would offend many people in this thread. And we blew out the wall between the kitchen and dining room, so open floor plan on a vintage* house!

I'm into it. Don't mind the chicken littles and their cries of dust and grease.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

slurry_curry posted:

which I am sure would offend many people in this thread

and you aren't posting pics why?!

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Had to get to my desk to find some pictures.

First thing you see when you walk in the front door. Living room to the left, dining to the right.

The wall used to be where the beam is above the peninsula.

Looking into the kitchen from the dining room

We gutted the whole main floor to the studs(except the 1 bedroom that I had already remodeled to be my daughters nursery. She was 6 months old when we started the project), rewired/insulated/etc. Don't have any pictures of the living/dining room and its currently a mess.

And heres the bathroom. Its small, so its hard to get pictures of all of it. We put a second bathroom in upstairs with a soaking tub/separate shower, so we went with just the shower down here.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 10, 2019

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I really like that actually (at slurry_curry). It looks functional and has plenty of counter and storage. Now if you had dumped grey laminate, spotted gray granite, white cabinets, subway tile backsplash, faux barn wood shelves and "KITCHEN" or "EAT" in giant letters above the sink...

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

slurry_curry posted:

First thing you see when you walk in the front door. Living room to the left, dining to the right.

We gutted the whole main floor to the studs(except the 1 bedroom that I had already remodeled to be my daughters nursery. She was 6 months old when we started the project), rewired/insulated/etc. Don't have any pictures of the living/dining room and its currently a mess.

Losing that wall was exactly what was needed. I'm puzzled why you didn't lose the chimney as well, but I'm sure ~reasons~. You really have no place to put any uppers in that kitchen with that window and vent hood. Hard choices. I can totally see not wanting to eliminate that light, but I'd probably have gone with a despised self-vent filter and filled that space with uppers, but that's me. I'd also probably have gone with an oven below the cooktop and put a full pantry thingy where your double oven is, but we all have our particular needs. Quite nice, actually, nothing to be ashamed of.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

slurry_curry posted:

And heres the bathroom. Its small, so its hard to get pictures of all of it. We put a second bathroom in upstairs with a soaking tub/separate shower, so we went with just the shower down here.

Don’t have many other opinions on this but I looooove the ceiling light fixtures in the kitchen

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Youth Decay posted:

I really like that actually (at slurry_curry). It looks functional and has plenty of counter and storage. Now if you had dumped grey laminate, spotted gray granite, white cabinets, subway tile backsplash, faux barn wood shelves and "KITCHEN" or "EAT" in giant letters above the sink...

I have to give credit my wife with most of the color/design choices. Though she originally wanted to paint the floating shelves a bright color, but our contractor talked her out of it since he sourced really nice solid slabs for them and couldn't bring himself to paint them.

Mr. Mambold posted:

Losing that wall was exactly what was needed. I'm puzzled why you didn't lose the chimney as well, but I'm sure ~reasons~. You really have no place to put any uppers in that kitchen with that window and vent hood. Hard choices. I can totally see not wanting to eliminate that light, but I'd probably have gone with a despised self-vent filter and filled that space with uppers, but that's me. I'd also probably have gone with an oven below the cooktop and put a full pantry thingy where your double oven is, but we all have our particular needs. Quite nice, actually, nothing to be ashamed of.

Yea, losing the wall and moving/widening all the doors into what used to be a small hallway with 8 doors really changed the entire house. We kept the chimney partially because we like the look of it(its also exposed upstairs from when we did that floor ~2 years ago), and partially because of cost. We would have needed to have a post there no matter what to hold up the beams, so its not like we would have been able to have that area completely open. And this house originally had a coal furnace, which was replaced with a oil furnace in the 50's or 60's so I can only assume it would have been a huge pain in the rear end to remove it.

The wall ovens was partially an ergonomic choice, since my wife has back issues and she loves to cook and loves having 2 ovens. There is actually a pantry to the right of the ovens, so we might not have gone with the double wall ovens if we didn't have that. The pantry really helps with storage. And there was zero chance we were going with a self vent hood. This is the first time we have had a real hood in the ~8 years and 4 houses we have lived in together and we had to have a real vent. This is actually the house I grew up in(stepdad purchased it back in the early 70's, my mom and him got married in the late 80's, we bought it from them ~4 years ago) and there was pretty much no way to cook in the kitchen without setting off the smoke alarms.

Badger of Basra posted:

Don’t have many other opinions on this but I looooove the ceiling light fixtures in the kitchen

We really like how they came out too! They are from Schoolhouse and not *too* crazy expensive. We were originally just going to have the recessed lights in there, but I am glad we decided to add those.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

slurry_curry posted:

That looks really nice. Good work

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I like the kitchen. I like the counters, shelving, and lighting...everything really.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Just for fun, here the before pictures of the kitchen

I was so loving pumped to see that fridge go away. I am pretty sure they were in the house when my stepdad bought it. The freezer door was inside the fridge, so there was no way to really defrost it and it just got smaller and smaller. The fridge would either barely keep things at a safe temperature or freeze them solid. Having a new nice fridge is a game changer.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

slurry_curry posted:

Just for fun, here the before pictures of the kitchen

I was so loving pumped to see that fridge go away. I am pretty sure they were in the house when my stepdad bought it. The freezer door was inside the fridge, so there was no way to really defrost it and it just got smaller and smaller. The fridge would either barely keep things at a safe temperature or freeze them solid. Having a new nice fridge is a game changer.

That fridge and stove are Harvest Gold, which my mother has missed ever since we replaced the first appliances she bought for their house.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Looks real nice but I’m curious about one detail ... why do you have one white cabinet in the bathroom when the rest are dark?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

slurry_curry posted:

I think you did a great job.

Here's the latest remodeling work I did on my house. I bought it with really filthy carpet, only ceiling fans for lighting, popcorn ceilings, etc. All original to a 1991 central Texas house.

Kitchen and fireplace in various stages:

Here's the after-- but still not completely finished. I need to install the range hood which will involve cutting a hole in the roof and it's too drat hot to go in my attic. I also need to do a lot of cleanup inside and in the garage, but my "two car" garage is a joke and I need a savant to tell me how to reorganize and generally clean up.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
the problem with mcm architecture is that 80% of it is just trying to be frank lloyd wright but without design aesthetic or talent

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

MetaJew posted:

I also need to do a lot of cleanup inside and in the garage, but my "two car" garage is a joke and I need a savant to tell me how to reorganize and generally clean up.

throw half your poo poo away

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

the problem with mcm architecture is that 80% of it is just trying to be frank lloyd wright but without design aesthetic or talent

Are furniture designs copyrighted? I've been wondering why people don't just copy all his poo poo since it seems like that would get sold pretty quick!

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

So guys, the other night I went out bar hopping as goons tend to do AND gently caress IT CUT TO THE CHASE guys art deco bar from the 40s you will have pics as soon as I'm sober.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

That's a very good range. Do you cook a lot?

Also, was there asbestos beneath the kitchen vinyl before you remodeled?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

also,

:aaa:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PRADA SLUT posted:

“but”

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Slurry you made a really nice looking place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Youth Decay posted:

I'm in love

They kept all the bathrooms :3:

Hey, when y’all leech images from Zillow, can you not leech the webp files? They don’t show up on phones.