Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Trig Discipline posted:

I think it's for first dates, so you can say "oh no I got it", and then rummage around in your tiny purse with one figure before saying" ...oh dear I seem to have left my wallet at home".

Go all in, insist that you pay, then pull out a tiny wallet and credit card replica, only to act confusedly offended and demand that they "run it again" when the payment doesn't go though.

vvv :hmmyes:

Captain Hygiene has a new favorite as of 17:40 on Aug 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

Go all in, insist that you pay, then pull out a tiny wallet and credit card replica, only to act confusedly offended and demand that they "run it again" when the payment doesn't go through.

Then when the waiter gets pissed off the dude can say "I'm sorry, this is our first date and clearly she's deranged. I'll get the check, just let me find my wallet."

*rummages in pants*

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Just wait until tiny purses become the new tiny steampunk hats.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous
Pssh, the purse was clearly made for vaginas.

https://twitter.com/men_write_women/status/1155824041082667010

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

I've watched this a hundred times trying to figure it out. She doesn't spill it so he flipped out for no reason :confused:

"Dammit Susan I said regular coke not diet!"

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Ebola Roulette posted:

I've watched this a hundred times trying to figure it out. She doesn't spill it so he flipped out for no reason :confused:

They jump up because they thought it would spill. Just look at how much it sloshes around the glass.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ebola Roulette posted:

:tviv:

I never even noticed that! With the blurry compression, the shadow from the dad's shirt and the cards dropping somehow looked just like some soda sloshing out :aaaaa:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Most infomercial things like that are targeted at people with physical disabilities, who might struggle with having the arm strength or coordination to pour from a 2L bottle without spilling. Whenever you see someone spilling, falling, or dropping stuff in an overblown manner, they're advertisements for people that have those sorts of struggles when dealing with every day life and products that might help them avoid those pratfalls.

I guess its still weird that she didn't actually spill any in the clip, though.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh sure, I have no issues with the actual intended use for a lot of that stuff. It's just that the manufacturers could hardly advertise it in a more laughably stupid manner if they tried.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Oh sure, I have no issues with the actual intended use for a lot of that stuff. It's just that the manufacturers could hardly advertise it in a more laughably stupid manner if they tried.

I'm putting a produce mallet on my wedding registry

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Ebola Roulette posted:

Years ago the joke was that the mother has been dead for years and has re-appeared as a ghost.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Excuse me, which disability is this?

Is it... is it IBS? :ohdear:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Excuse me, which disability is this?

Is it... is it IBS? :ohdear:

Nine out of ten doctors agree, blended cabbage is the only cure for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Sadly, IBS sufferers commonly run out of time to sledgehammer their cabbage because they need to poop so much. [man drops half-crushed cabbage and dashes for toilet] "There has to be a better way!"

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I went to look up an infomercial mentage, masterfully assembled to beetles help song. Apparently it's no longer available on YouTube, despite having something like 50 million views. Can someone find it? It was incredible

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Nitrox posted:

I went to look up an infomercial mentage, masterfully assembled to beetles help song. Apparently it's no longer available on YouTube, despite having something like 50 million views. Can someone find it? It was incredible

Here’s one set to In the Hall of the Mountain King, it’s honestly better: https://youtu.be/qM4zMofsI7w

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Gann Jerrod posted:

Here’s one set to In the Hall of the Mountain King, it’s honestly better: https://youtu.be/qM4zMofsI7w

:five:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

Most infomercial things like that are targeted at people with physical disabilities, who might struggle with having the arm strength or coordination to pour from a 2L bottle without spilling. Whenever you see someone spilling, falling, or dropping stuff in an overblown manner, they're advertisements for people that have those sorts of struggles when dealing with every day life and products that might help them avoid those pratfalls.

I guess its still weird that she didn't actually spill any in the clip, though.

Is this actually true or was that just a viral social media post? Because the only times I’ve ever seen anything about that were artifacted tumblr screenshots shared on Facebook.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I have a friend who has cerebral palsy and he swears by Slankets, because they're easy for his carers to put on him and (let's face it he's not the neatest eater) they wash off well and dry quickly.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It’s a well known fact that went viral a few years ago, I’m not sure what sort of evidence would satisfy you though, as its more some products in the infomercial space (snuggie, sock puller, etc.) rather than every product on an infomercial. But if you spend any time at all around people who are elderly or disabled it becomes pretty easy to see.

Not trying to derail the thread, though.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They could just market it respectully to their target audience rather than making all the people in the commercials look braindead.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It should be noted that the ads aren't actually marketed to the people with disabilities that actually need these products, per se. The problem is that the disabled market is actually very small and very fragmented, so you wouldn't recoup the costs of production just with the disabled market themselves. Therefore, you start marketing to non-disabled people, which is inevitably going to start looking weird because you need to pitch a scenario to them that isn't saying 'hey, this is for people whose bodies don't work right'. It also lets you get your product in front of that original disabled market, which you otherwise have to rely on word-of-mouth to get to.

It's sort of an attempt to force a particular phenomena, where an accessibility option becomes commonplace because it turns out able-bodied people have use for it, too. I think there's a name for it, but the most well-known example are those ramps on road curbs; they were introduced for people in wheelchairs, and then became commonplace really quickly because it turns out they're great for able-bodied people too.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
^^^ That's my understanding as well^^^

Mu Zeta posted:

They could just market it respectully to their target audience rather than making all the people in the commercials look braindead.

How would you respectfully reach a wide audience of variously abled people who struggle with 'looking braindead' when they try some activities that other people have no problem with? Because you didn't start off doing a very good job of being respectful.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

How would you respectfully reach a wide audience of variously abled people who struggle with 'looking braindead' when they try some activities that other people have no problem with? Because you didn't start off doing a very good job of being respectful.

They could not do this

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Captain Monkey posted:

Just don't show a woman spilling milk all over the place while wacky background music plays and the announcer does a cartoonish "OH NOOOO!"

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Things designed to help physically fragile 80+ year old people can manage to have commercials that don't look like comedy skits.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s a well known fact that went viral a few years ago, I’m not sure what sort of evidence would satisfy you though

Any evidence at all that isn't "a well known fact that went viral a few years ago", whatever the hell that means. Like an article or something.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Any evidence at all that isn't "a well known fact that went viral a few years ago", whatever the hell that means. Like an article or something.

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/9/20/17791354/products-people-disabilities-sock-slider-banana-slicer-lazy

Here's an article with quotes by disability advocates/disabled people. But hey, it's a lot easier to just be a jerk online about things that don't cause problems for you, right?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s a well known fact that went viral a few years ago, I’m not sure what sort of evidence would satisfy you though, as its more some products in the infomercial space (snuggie, sock puller, etc.) rather than every product on an infomercial. But if you spend any time at all around people who are elderly or disabled it becomes pretty easy to see.

Not trying to derail the thread, though.

Snuggies are essentially a rip-off of the Slanket, the creation of which had nothing to do with making a product for people who are elderly or disabled. I’m sure making an ease-of-life product can be helpful for those groups but that does not mean it is the underlying intent.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Captain Monkey posted:

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/9/20/17791354/products-people-disabilities-sock-slider-banana-slicer-lazy

Here's an article with quotes by disability advocates/disabled people. But hey, it's a lot easier to just be a jerk online about things that don't cause problems for you, right?

Yeah seriously this is simple common sense. You can tell who in this discussion has given real and sympathetic thought to people with disabilities and who hasn't had to. Everyone finds those informercials funny - some people find them useful.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Yeah seriously this is simple common sense. You can tell who in this discussion has given real and sympathetic thought to people with disabilities and who hasn't had to. Everyone finds those informercials funny - some people find them useful.

Come on, nobody finds infomercials useful.

also literally nobody here is saying those products can't be useful for people with disabilities

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The posts I see here are just saying the commercials are stupid and somehow that means people are unsympathetic to disabilities?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I used to find infomercials amusing as a kid because the hosts were incredibly fake (Tony Little! Mike Levey!) and they were all dubbed by the same 4-5 people. It’s no wonder I upgraded to badly dubbed kung fu movies as an adult.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah, I used to put them on while I was doing other poo poo because they were absurdly hilarious in how over the top and insane they were. One that sticks out in my mind (I don't even remember what they were selling) was this hyperactive man who acted like he was on cocaine and meth simultaneously demonstrating how tough his product was by not actually using the product but hitting things unrelated to it with sledgehammers.

It led up to hitting a car because ??? and then he ripped the tarp off of another one and it was OH MY GOD A POLICE CAR!!!!! *audience gasps even though it's very clearly a scripted sound bite and the audience had otherwise been mostly silent before this* I'M TOTALLY GOING TO SMASH THIS POLICE CAR LOOK HOW CRAZY I AM!!! But then he put this sheet of heavy duty, really thick industrial glass and just smashed his hammer into it repeatedly.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Some informercials are trying to sell through a seacan of disability aids and some of them are a coked out inventor who wants to cut a row boat in half and they're all framed by there's got to be a better way because it's 2019 and everyone knows exactly what they are going to get out of the exchange.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Infomercials oversell because a character slightly spilling something isn’t exactly attention grabbing.

It doesn’t have much to do with disabilities even if the products themselves actually are useful to them.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Mu Zeta posted:

The posts I see here are just saying the commercials are stupid and somehow that means people are unsympathetic to disabilities?

Yeah, nobody here actually has an issue with the idea that those as-seen-on-tv products might be useful for disabled folks. It's with the smug assholes telling us that because we find the television ads stupid we obviously have no consideration for the disabled.

It can't just be an interesting fact, it has to be said in a self-righteous display of moral superiority.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I could watch infomercials for hours. There’s something soothing about them.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

oldpainless posted:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Captain Monkey posted:

There's a big difference between mocking the products as being useless (they're not) because you can't fathom that not everyone would be able to do something that seems small and easy to them and mocking the infomercials for being absolute trash. Like the people laughing at that woman perfectly pouring a glass of cola while her family freaks the gently caress out aren't laughing at the woman for maybe having tremors, weak joints or what ever.