Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Is Procreate still top dog on iOS?

nankeen posted:

re politics in comics, i started working on mine back in like 2004 and one of the main characters was a muslim war orphan who had to trek across southeast asia during world war iii while everyone tried to kill him because muslims were blamed for kicking off the global unrest and were being ethnically cleansed from the whole subcontinent. it seemed wildly speculative back in the day. but now...

Change it to a white neckbeard to secure the sweet Vox Day traffic

[edit] uhhh new page content.... got a fancy bamboo stylus gonna give ipad sketching another try

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
I like using Concepts on the iPad for rough sketches and art journaling. I’ll switch between Procreate and Concepts depending on what I’m doing.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i can't stop thinking about the "real world politics in webcomics" thing

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
this is a question that has tormented me for years. in my specific case with my specific work i can easily say "i might just not do that right now" because my stuff is extreme, but the less extreme you get, the blurrier the border becomes between an issue that is okay to use in fiction and one that is not. i wish someone else could comment on sweeper's trans character question because i'm not trans and don't really have a perspective to offer on that, but would like to see it discussed. sadly we'll never get a definitive answer to "who is allowed to write whom" because the definitive answer is "it depends"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

nankeen posted:

this is a question that has tormented me for years. in my specific case with my specific work i can easily say "i might just not do that right now" because my stuff is extreme, but the less extreme you get, the blurrier the border becomes between an issue that is okay to use in fiction and one that is not. i wish someone else could comment on sweeper's trans character question because i'm not trans and don't really have a perspective to offer on that, but would like to see it discussed. sadly we'll never get a definitive answer to "who is allowed to write whom" because the definitive answer is "it depends"

I think you should do what you do and do it as well as you can.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

sebmojo posted:

I think you should do what you do and do it as well as you can.
yeah but then you end up with rothfuss gypsies, and i stand by the use of that word in this context

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm trying to create a poster for my daughter and I have a specific style in mind, but I don't know what it's called. I've seen illustrations consisting of a collage of line drawings with bright, splotchy colors behind them.

Does anyone know what this style would be called, or how I might find designs for inspiration?

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

me your dad posted:

I'm trying to create a poster for my daughter and I have a specific style in mind, but I don't know what it's called. I've seen illustrations consisting of a collage of line drawings with bright, splotchy colors behind them.

Does anyone know what this style would be called, or how I might find designs for inspiration?

Try GISing geometric watercolour, is that the kinda thing you want? Not sure what to call it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Anyone know the pros and cons etching presses vs hand presses when it comes to relief printing?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
whos sweeper

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Al! posted:

does anyone else feel like they have i don't know creative bi polar disorder for lack of a better term? i feel like i have this cycle where i will manically crank out one thing after another for 8 hours straight and then for weeks i can barely put pen to tablet. is that a normal thing or should i get checked out for regular bi polar disorder?

This is more or less every artist, author, musician, or other person involved in creative production. Honoré de Balzac - a man whose literary output would fill the average home library - stated that the most important quality for any writer is the forbearance to face the dull task of writing one word at a time. That's advice that's applicable to visual artists, too: the dull task of practicing your art every day or doing projects solely to experiment with a technique will get you far, far further than relying solely on the spark of inspiration to push you forwards.

That's not to say that you can't struggle with that more than most. I have an executive functioning deficit as a consequence of being autistic, and that means that long-term planning and staying on task is harder for me than it is for most neurotypical people. It's not a bad idea to get tested if you think you're seriously struggling in other areas of your life as well as art; but if it's only your art, then it's more likely a matter of simply setting a schedule, removing distractions, and adjusting the way in which you mentally approach your work.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al! posted:

does anyone else feel like they have i don't know creative bi polar disorder for lack of a better term? i feel like i have this cycle where i will manically crank out one thing after another for 8 hours straight and then for weeks i can barely put pen to tablet. is that a normal thing or should i get checked out for regular bi polar disorder?

i have actual bipolar so yeah

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
having clinical bipolar sounds awful but i have to admit that occasionally from outside it looks like a hell of a good time (short-term)

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
what do you mean

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
yeah i shouldn't have said that, it's just occurred to me that all the bipolar people i know are the kind of personality where they always look like they're having a good time even when they're not. it's actually poo poo and i'm sorry

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh nah it's cool

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
the links between bipolar disorder and intelligence and creativity are really fascinating though. especially as, like discussed, even non-bipolar creative people show a kind of mimicry of mania when they're working, and periods of non-creativity often correspond with periods of depression (until you get to severe depression, upon which i think it starts correlating positively again)

the brain is weird

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

nankeen posted:

(until you get to severe depression, upon which i think it starts correlating positively again)

Yeah, no. Severe depression is the death of creativity, you don't create poo poo when you're laying in bed wanting to die all day.

You create art despite poor mental health, not because of it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
severe depression often causes insomnia

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

lofi posted:

Yeah, no. Severe depression is the death of creativity, you don't create poo poo when you're laying in bed wanting to die all day.

You create art despite poor mental health, not because of it.

I think imbalance is often a component of good art because it spurs you to look for the edge cases, the places where stuff doesn't fit right.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

lofi posted:

i do!

legit for some reason i draw best lying down in bed and the stuff i doodle while i'm basically dead from depression far outstrips my normal work, the only problem is i can't see it at the time. but i am a minority, please don't take this as a generalisation

the same goes for my sa posting btw

maybe it's all on the same spectrum, some people are manic creatives, some are depressive creatives. the reason those states are hard to maintain is that chemically speaking you'll literally die - thus the fluctuations in mood, and maybe creativity? general energy in the brain, anyway

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
forgive my general energy in the brain, i'm mourning the krymchaks

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I'm gonna start recommending getting a mental health condition first to everyone who's thinking of picking up the arts. There's all these articles on how to live well and to get healthy and poo poo, why not the opposite?

"Want to paint like all the famous artists? Have you tried staying in bed all day feeling sorry for yourself?"
"Keys to a successful art depression - 10 tips that will blow your mind!"
"How to fake Bipolar and other useful art tricks"
"Which mental health condition best suits YOU and your art, take our quiz now!"

edited to add: Gonna call it Brain Fo' Arts

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Since we're having a discussion about mental illness and art.

Stress, Suicide, and the Savannah College of Art and Design
How an art school in coastal Georgia is killing its students — and why no one is talking about it.

I dropped out of MICA for very similar reasons to what was outlined in this article. Even if MICA isn't as bad, these issues are common in art schools and are part of the reason I'm hesitant to tell prospective students they should attend art school when they ask me about it.

Kanine fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Aug 11, 2019

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Kanine posted:

How an art school in coastal Georgia is killing its students — and why no one is talking about it.

I dropped out of MICA for very similar reasons to what was outlined in this article. Even if MICA isn't as bad, these issues are common in art schools and are part of the reason I'm hesitant to tell prospective students they should go to art school when they ask me about it.

Yeah that tracks

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Kanine posted:

I dropped out of MICA for very similar reasons to what was outlined in this article. Even if MICA isn't as bad, these issues are common in art schools and are part of the reason I'm hesitant to tell prospective students they should attend art school when they ask me about it.

This was a really interesting read, thanks for linking it.
I can't even imagine what having an entire faculty of people who are in tune with depression is like. When I was a teenager, I never understood the sideways or horrified looks I'd get making jokes about death, like the chant all these people share about sleep coming after death. It's easy to see why after you dig yourself up from the pit, but drat it must be hard to rise up when there's no-one to tell you that what you're going through is abnormal and not expected.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Isn't that the school that a ton of goons have gone to?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

Isn't that the school that a ton of goons have gone to?

I did but I can’t report on how many others did (tho probably a lot)

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

I did but I can’t report on how many others did (tho probably a lot)
I think mod Troposphere did and a few others too iirc. may be getting mixed up tho

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
SCAD seems to be the extreme version of the problems that exist in every art school i know of

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
at my art school, toward the end of first year, one of our tutors made us all stand up and berated us, legitimately angry because we were all too calm and none of us had even broken down in tears in the classroom yet and even though our work was of excellent quality (she even admitted this!) the lack of obvious psychological distress meant we didn't care enough and none of us would ever make it in the industry

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
luckily, telling me irl i'm not melting down enough and you want me to melt down more is a real monkey's paw situation, she got what she wished for

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
our campus had just been totally renovated and it was a concrete, glass and metal nightmare with no vegetation or anything to stifle noise, anything louder than a fart echoed through all the buildings all the way up to the rooftop (for the first three years it was a literal hole in the ground with a few scattered classrooms around the edges that we had to access by makeshift teetering paths over exposed pipes and drainage canals)

during my final presentation for my bachelor's, i was on the fourth floor and in the courtyard below one of the master's students completely lost their poo poo and started doing full-throated bestial screams of anguish and yelling that their life was ruined and they were going to hang themselves. i closed the window and tried to talk over the screaming but they had incredible stamina and they just went on and on, eventually i paused my presentation and the markers and i just all sat there in awkward silence until they finally calmed down. i got great marks for that presentation

e: one of my friends got even better marks for their final presentation, which was produced entirely while in a psychiatric ward and delivered while on supervised day leave

nankeen fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 12, 2019

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

gently caress art school.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
love 2 be immersed repeatedly in capitalism, growing heavier and more discolored w each additional dunk

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
when you're done, they'll saw you into thin discs and ooh and ahh at the pretty rings that have formed

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

anthropodendrochronology - what a novel idea!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
I think there's the plasticine guy who already makes that. The body worlds dude.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm that rarest and most magnificent form of meltdowner, the destroyer of works

it's not that exciting watching me furiously delete files while crying. but the ceramics...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

a hole-y ghost posted:

anthropodendrochronology