Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've got 3 sessions left in a two year long 40krpg game of only war. Reeaaally looking forward to being a lazy player.

I feel u

I've got my per session prep down to like 15 min of thinking and scribbling though, so it's not too bad. Saltmarsh and ST are extremely good too which helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

My group goes back and forth between a 5e homebrew campaign and 5e published stuff. Currently on SKT. Played over R20 and Discord.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Exalted, Pendragon, Stars Without Number Revised and an on-again-off-again Burning Wheel game all on roll20 and discord

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ooh advice: my 5e party are in a logging camp and have to get past a bandit ambush on the forest road beside a river on the way back, which they've scoped out and know where they are waiting: they've fortified a raft, naturally, and intend to sail it past the ambush, shooting at them. What are some good mechanical ways to represent that?

The raft builder pc is a shipwright and rolled a natural 20 (plus plenty of tools and wood) so the raft is essentially ideal in terms of what they wanted.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Raft is moving at a constant rate, which is changing their position (every round, or even every PC turn, depending on how "action" you want.) Dismounting either takes acrobatics/agility or a full action (jumping to shore vs wading in), one character can take a full action to run the raft aground.

For a surprise, you could have a group of bandits move around them, swim to the far side of the raft, and climb up to strike from behind.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Yeah, I'd basically treat it like an elevator level. Maybe try to throw someone overboard and force them to think through getting themback as the raft keeps going, or see where things go with 1-2 people getting separated if you're okay with a party split.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cool. I think I might give them three quarters cover (+5) for missile fire, and let the bandits hide behind trees for +2 cover? they'll def try and jump on: I'm going to play them as smart as I can.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

Alternate tactic for the bandits: Someone throws a grappling hook, snags one of the far corners, and starts hauling, which both pulls the raft toward the shore and turns it toward one of their more exposed sides.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I'm currently running a game of Masks through Roll20/Discord and a hacked Shadow of the Demon Lord game through the same.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Currently all about the Year Zero engine. Main games are a game of Forbidden Lands online, and a game of Mutant Year Zero for our in-person game. Using Discord for online one. It's a good time.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fragged Empire very slightly hacked to run the Warframe universe (it didn't take much), on Roll20.

You gotta share this!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Posting this again cause I'm still drawing a blank on ways to make this upcoming combat interesting.

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm in a slight pickle with my 5e Curse of Strahd campaign that I'm running. Luckily I have 2 weeks to iron it out. Slight spoilers follow.

My party has run the Watcher's and the Baron's family out of Vallaki and have installed Ismark as the new Burgomaster. They are convinced that there are still more of Lady Watcher's cultists running around the village so I'm running with that. They found some fake posters for a new festival that the warlock was able to see were actually instructions for the cultists to meet up the following sundown out of the city. In the meantime the party went to the Wizard of Wines and Yester Hill and prevented the summoning of the corrupted treant. That battle was a battle where they had to defeat all the enemies and stop the ritual in 10 rounds, while Strahd berated them and cast annoying spells like Gust of Wind and Polymorph.

My problem is that I was going to do a similar battle to resolve the cultists in Vallaki. My plan was to have a warlock servant of Strahd using the Deathlock stats conducting a ritual with the remaining cultists. The goal of the ritual would be to put the entire town to sleep/paralyze the citizens so the cultists could run amok. The party would have to take out all the cultists before the ritual is complete, which I realize now is the same situation as Yester Hill. I'm not attached to the goal of the cultists. I mainly wanted to make the party feel like they resolved that thread and introduce the warlock as a sub-boss type character who will hopefully get away to haunt the characters another day. (My party have been doing a decent job of recruiting characters to their side and I see that continuing so I want Rahadin and some other characters on Strahd's side to tie up the parties allies whenever the big showdown happens.)

What kind of conflict can I have them get into that is interesting but not the same thing? Why are the cultists meeting? The reason the party warlock is able to see the true message on the poster is because she has made a deal with a devil, is there a way to tie that in more? She has told the rest of the party she is a wizard so there may be some interparty conflict when they find out she's a warlock which is why the poster part happened at all.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Fragged Empire hacked to be an earth-based post-apocalypse.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Ooh advice: my 5e party are in a logging camp and have to get past a bandit ambush on the forest road beside a river on the way back, which they've scoped out and know where they are waiting: they've fortified a raft, naturally, and intend to sail it past the ambush, shooting at them. What are some good mechanical ways to represent that?

The raft builder pc is a shipwright and rolled a natural 20 (plus plenty of tools and wood) so the raft is essentially ideal in terms of what they wanted.
The combat goes a fixed number of rounds, until the raft is out of the danger zone (or the bandits are defeated). Have X bandits jump onto the raft every round for the first Y rounds, or just every two rounds. These should be somewhat easy to defeat; they're mainly here to tie up the party in melee and may overwhelm them if they're not continually dispatched, although they will also try and shove PCs off the raft. The real threat are archers that follow the raft on shore, darting from cover to cover. The party has to find the balance between standing their ground and protecting their ranged combattants, working with limited space, and attacking the enemy archers.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

sebmojo posted:

Cool. I think I might give them three quarters cover (+5) for missile fire, and let the bandits hide behind trees for +2 cover? they'll def try and jump on: I'm going to play them as smart as I can.

So the party checked the ambush site out already? Do you think you could sneak in a just-below-the-waterline chain, going from one stout tree to another, across the river? There could also be some winches on each end that take in slack, effectively changing the chain elevation in the water; the bandits would have to activate it to bring the chain up "into play". This will hopefully convince the party they have to get out of the raft long enough to manipulate the chain. But then of course that makes the raft move again before the player is on board. If you put some bends in the river they can catch up and you just might end up with some PCs on the raft defending it while other PCs scramble alongside on the shore.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Epi Lepi posted:

Posting this again cause I'm still drawing a blank on ways to make this upcoming combat interesting.

What if you did a thing where the ritual is partially complete, so there are sections of the battlefield where you already need to make a save vs. paralysis? You could describe these as clouds of mist or something, and have them move around each turn, so the dangerous part of the terrain is consistently shifting. Then you could remove one for every x cultists that are defeated, to represent the ritual faltering.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm only going to have 2 players in my next WoRCC game, and i think i wanna run a classic road movie. Any good road movie tropes or film synposes i should look to for inspiration?

I thought it would be cute to have 2 or 3 small song/dance numbers where they have to come up with topical rhymes and roll to see how well they are maintaining morale. I'd also consider handing out temporary dancing style proficiencies (jazz, tap, etc)

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm only going to have 2 players in my next WoRCC game, and i think i wanna run a classic road movie. Any good road movie tropes or film synposes i should look to for inspiration?

I thought it would be cute to have 2 or 3 small song/dance numbers where they have to come up with topical rhymes and roll to see how well they are maintaining morale. I'd also consider handing out temporary dancing style proficiencies (jazz, tap, etc)

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles. They took a side gig while the rest of the party is doing work on another client/expanding the kitchen, or are going out to pick up a rare ingredeint for an upcoming catering gig. The ingredient/gig, however, is cursed and every method of travel they try to take seems to be met with misfortune.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

We're doing a sandbox campaign in a post apocalyptic wasteland. The players will be building up an Outpost to reestablish society. What are some good mysterious locations to sprinkle around the wasteland for them?

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

Going to run Lancer for a new group, soon.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Sanford posted:

Because my campaign is almost completely comprised of ideas from this thread, my players are now in control of a giant lighthouse in the middle of the city. They have moved up through a guardroom, a barracks/living quarters, a training room, and an armoury. The top floor of the lighthouse has a magic item with both scrying and destructive capabilities. They will shortly get through a trap door to move into the subterranean levels of the light house which will, I hope, be more interesting than those above ground level. Does anyone have any ideas? It is established that the lighthouse is a holy place of the sea god, has been abandoned for hundreds of years, and is not hostile.

When they move down past the first basement level they discover a stairwell that descends into dark water, that upon inspection is sea water. There is no sea nearby? If they continue on there are 2ish levels that contain neither light nor air (which means they will have to gear up to fully explore). Play up reduced movement, explain the aspects of underwater combat with non-optimized weapons, etc. The basement itself isn't hostile, but as they move forward the basement fades away and they find themselves in the dark abyss - there is actually a portal to a) an aquatic plane? b) the home sea of the sea god c) something plot appropriate. Maybe after concurring/winning the loyalty the nearby sea royalty or whatever they can use the portal as a way of resupplying the beseiged city or bringing in merman reinforcements or something like that.

If they fail to explore it, maybe the sea comes to them through the portal.

I did a campaign where there was a giant underwater spire that reached to the bottom of the ocean where there was an underwater temple contained within a bubble of air - the trip down was about an hour and we had to figure out how to make it down and be equipped for water combat. Was fun. Also cracking the bubble and causing the whole thing to flood etc.

Ceros_X fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 11, 2019

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

kidkissinger posted:

We're doing a sandbox campaign in a post apocalyptic wasteland. The players will be building up an Outpost to reestablish society. What are some good mysterious locations to sprinkle around the wasteland for them?
Is the world explicitly Earth, or some kind of fantasy world? What was the nature of the apocalypse, and how long ago was it?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ilor posted:

Is the world explicitly Earth, or some kind of fantasy world? What was the nature of the apocalypse, and how long ago was it?

Alternate email earth where the Soviet Union Never collapsed. Things got pretty Blade-runner-ish then the bombs dropped. It has been thirty years since and people are reemerging now.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
What rule set do you use for the catering company game? My 5e game is hitting a little hiatus and I want to throw a one to three shot at them.

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society

midwifecrisis posted:

Going to run Lancer for a new group, soon.

Super curious about Lancer. Any impressions of it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jack B Nimble posted:

So the party checked the ambush site out already? Do you think you could sneak in a just-below-the-waterline chain, going from one stout tree to another, across the river? There could also be some winches on each end that take in slack, effectively changing the chain elevation in the water; the bandits would have to activate it to bring the chain up "into play". This will hopefully convince the party they have to get out of the raft long enough to manipulate the chain. But then of course that makes the raft move again before the player is on board. If you put some bends in the river they can catch up and you just might end up with some PCs on the raft defending it while other PCs scramble alongside on the shore.

The chain might be prep too far, i think they are expecting them on the road. There will be a scout though, so if they cant see/stop him the bandits will be ready.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Dameius posted:

What rule set do you use for the catering company game? My 5e game is hitting a little hiatus and I want to throw a one to three shot at them.

Strike!

that system works with any setting though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE posted:

Super curious about Lancer. Any impressions of it?

Not them, but played a few-shot with the system.

It's really good! Things feel well supported both in and out of your giant robot, which is always a good sign, and it's fun to build mechs.

The downsides: some mechs are very self-contained, so when you get to pilot level 4 you're kind of struggling for what to take next, I played a ranged attacker and had a hard time finding talents that felt worth taking (because most of them are pretty crit-focused*).

*I was playing Pegasus, though, and their guns are wa-wa-wacky and don't play as nice with talents as other mechs' do.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Leraika posted:

*I was playing Pegasus, though, and their guns are wa-wa-wacky and don't play as nice with talents as other mechs' do.

I like to think that the Pegasus is what happened when someone asked the HORUS Mech Design Collective to make a normal line mech that uses kinetic weapons. Then, because they're mech nerds with no sense of right or wrong, they made something that looks like a mass-produced EVA that shoots things with a gun that doesn't exist.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I’m going to use a Dread Necromancer for my high priest and looking at his spell list I see Wall of Force. It seems ridiculously overpowered - he casts it on the players, they don’t have a disintegrate spell, so they’re stuck there for ten minutes while he summons loads of guards to murder them? Am I missing something?

If I’ve got it right, can someone suggest a spell I can swap it out with that won’t result in a TPK?

Edit: for clarity they are coming towards the end of a long series of quests so don’t really want to send it rattling off down a “you got captured, now escape” subplot.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
According to the sheet, it's casting as a wizard, so you can just decide that he hasn't prepared wall of force that day (he only has two fifth level slots and three spells known) nevermind, I forgot that 5e works differently about that. You could still just have him focus on cloud kills because: Necromancer.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 12, 2019

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Can you drop them a scroll of disintegrate, then use the wall of force as a chance for a good old monologue?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Teleport and dimension door should also bypass it

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Question for anyone who ran the Autumn version of Dragon Heist. In the conclusion, Jarlaxle is supposed to show up and deliver a "give me the gold" ultimatum. Does that actually feel like a decent conclusion? My current run through the adventure is almost certainly at this point going to end up with the Harpers showing up in similar circumstances and demanding the money be handed over to the city, and I'm a bit worried it might be a little bit of a letdown to have defeat be snatched from the jaws of victory for the players who want to keep the money but have made absolutely no effort to find friends and allies and rebuffed all such offers. Still a victory for the two PCs who blab everything to their harper boss (promotions!), but I do want everyone to have fun, even if the more mercenary PCs have to face the consequences of being fiercely independent Jimmy Nae Pals.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

We dubbed jarlaxle 'david boatie' bc he looked like David Bowie in Labyrinth and determined we were going to kill him and sink his dumb boat within 5 min of meeting him so I cannot help u sorry

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Reveilled posted:

Question for anyone who ran the Autumn version of Dragon Heist. In the conclusion, Jarlaxle is supposed to show up and deliver a "give me the gold" ultimatum. Does that actually feel like a decent conclusion? My current run through the adventure is almost certainly at this point going to end up with the Harpers showing up in similar circumstances and demanding the money be handed over to the city, and I'm a bit worried it might be a little bit of a letdown to have defeat be snatched from the jaws of victory for the players who want to keep the money but have made absolutely no effort to find friends and allies and rebuffed all such offers. Still a victory for the two PCs who blab everything to their harper boss (promotions!), but I do want everyone to have fun, even if the more mercenary PCs have to face the consequences of being fiercely independent Jimmy Nae Pals.

I was a player for an Autumn version and we had a couple run-ins with Zardoz, including boarding the Eyecatcher to get the Stone. In that respect it felt decently built up when he appeared and made for a memorable combat that the four of us just managed to get through before Meloon came in and helped. But then, we were all on the same page except on what to do with Trollskull, so maybe it's not the best example. I'll look at the book and continue.

Is there a reason you're wanting the Harpers to show up in Jarlaxle's place? Is he dead/indisposed, or just not being engaged with? Is there another villain they've been interacting with, or are they really just going from plot point to plot point without talking to anyone? Because if they have the Stone of Golorr, somebody must be missing it. (I'd suggest Manshoon, since who doesn't want to fight a tyrannical wizard in every D&D game ever.)

In my campaign, we were informed that we'd be keeping a portion of the gold by helping find it. (I can't remember if it was from Vajra or Laeral Silverhand... or "Laeral Silverhand" as the case may be.) Have they been offered 50,000 gp? (Handy reference: a day laborer earns one or two silver a day. Silver.) Maybe Mirt, or whoever shows up at the vault, can tell them that he'll talk to Laeral about getting the compensation they deserve, and... well, threaten to dissolve their membership should they refuse.

The book does have consequences if the players want to keep it all for themselves: their alliances get severed and the Lords charge them with robbery. If the Harpers threaten to strip the two PCs of their memberships, do you think that would change the other players' minds? Or would threat of jail time and losing all the money (and more) keep them from resisting? If the other PCs truly do want to keep the city's money for themselves, 1:) they're going to get pursued by the City Guard and, eventually, the Harpers; 2:) if they get caught, they're going to have to pay all that gold to the city anyway (including a fine for having stolen it); and 3:) they're spending a month doing hard labor. That's the bed they're making by going the Chaotic Neutral route, and if they can't compromise with the party, well... What does that make them?

But honestly, if the players aren't engaging in the world--like, any of the world--then maybe it doesn't have to do with character motivation? Maybe Waterdeep isn't right for them. It seems to be written in such a way that the players are intended to align with at least one group, even if it's the Zhentarim or Bregan D'aerth. Maybe it's just a matter of getting this over with so they can start Undermountain.

Anyway, I hope this answers whatever the question is. I might have lost track of what I was talking about. Again, I was a player so I don't know how much I really know about running this.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Sanford posted:

I’m going to use a Dread Necromancer for my high priest and looking at his spell list I see Wall of Force. It seems ridiculously overpowered - he casts it on the players, they don’t have a disintegrate spell, so they’re stuck there for ten minutes while he summons loads of guards to murder them? Am I missing something?

If I’ve got it right, can someone suggest a spell I can swap it out with that won’t result in a TPK?

Edit: for clarity they are coming towards the end of a long series of quests so don’t really want to send it rattling off down a “you got captured, now escape” subplot.
Also it's maximum 10 foot wide panels, so they should just climb over it?

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

It can be a dome or sphere as well, though. I think I'll just have him not use it (much as I like the excuse for a monologue). That said, they are being so loving dumb right now they almost deserve a TPK.

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Sanford posted:

It can be a dome or sphere as well, though. I think I'll just have him not use it (much as I like the excuse for a monologue). That said, they are being so loving dumb right now they almost deserve a TPK.

A 10 foot dome or sphere. Unless your party is all hugging each other he's not gonna be able to dome them all, and the spell requires concentration.
That plus any teleports, familiars or whatever else the party pulls out their rear end, I don't think it's a big deal for a 6th level spell imo.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine

Sanford posted:

Coming most of them and calling in a bunch of looks while he monologues seems fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm not sure if this is the proper thread to ask this, but I'm running a Fragged empires game right now and we just had our first big combat. We have five players and the combat zone took up most of my 24"x36" combat grid. It took about an hour and a half to resolve the combat which is way longer than I expected. Granted, everyone involved is completely new to the system.

My question is, should I be compressing the combat zone or having players start closer to the enemy in order to speed things up? Are there other ways to speed things along? Or does combat just take a long time with five players?