Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Funky Valentine posted:

That timing is intentional believe it or not.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The timing is completely intentional.
really? I'm wondering if it had a slight translation fuckup then, because it's all in present tense, not past tense. Like, it was explicitly "he is so cool", not "he was so cool."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I really liked Sylvane until he got eight bad stat gains in a row and now he's permanently benched because gently caress having someone with less than fifteen STR/SPD when the rest of my team is at 25+

I had a Sylvain that post time skip couldn't bully squishy casters with his Crest weapon, exploded to harsh language and somehow was slower then loving Dedue once you factor in the -weight skills the latter had. It was like he was completely determined to be absolutely terrible.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

If Byleth ever gets into Smash

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Flayn's hunger for fish is the best trait you could give a cute kid character.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I wonder if there's something genuinely hosed up with how critical hits work in this version of the game. They do seem to be popping up way more often than the numbers would indicate.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wanderer posted:

I wonder if there's something genuinely hosed up with how critical hits work in this version of the game. They do seem to be popping up way more often than the numbers would indicate.

Welcome to Fire Emblem, the crit rate is a fickle god.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Wanderer posted:

It's weird. Byleth probably crits more than hits normally but Leonie's burned an entire Killer Bow without a one. Maybe something secretly crest related?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Alternatively, RNG is R and people are bad at randomness.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I've seen Felix ever not crit

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Alternatively, RNG is R and people are bad at randomness.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

really? I'm wondering if it had a slight translation fuckup then, because it's all in present tense, not past tense. Like, it was explicitly "he is so cool", not "he was so cool."

Yeah it's kinda weird but i'm pretty sure the read on that scene is supposed to be that Leonie is very emotional right now and starts lashing out. But that support can still happen at any point after that in the game so its worded kinda strange to account for that maybe.

Still a big fan of the Leonie and Byleth support though. Has a really nice A rank I just got.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Is crit still determined independently of hit? I have nightmares of enemy swordmasters with 30% chance to hit and crit. They'd never normal attack but would crit every time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Wanderer posted:

i feel like all the numbers lie in favor of the player. i think i’ve landed 500 of 500 80% attacks

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Neo_Crimson posted:

I'd like Lindhart more if HE WOULD GAIN ANY SPEED GODDAMN IT.

He stayed back and spammed heals all day in my run.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Eimi posted:

Is crit still determined independently of hit? I have nightmares of enemy swordmasters with 30% chance to hit and crit. They'd never normal attack but would crit every time.

Crits are, without any exception in any game, only rolled on a successful hit roll.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Super No Vacancy posted:

i feel like all the numbers lie in favor of the player. i think i’ve landed 500 of 500 80% attacks

I've missed at least at least one 90% before. But it's rare enough that I remember it instead of it being the normal like in Xcom.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Re: crits & people having Sylvain get poo poo stats:

Even without a crit boosting weapon, Sylvain seemed to get, like, a crit on every other enemy in my game. No idea why, he was too good at killing the enemy.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Eimi posted:

I cannot remember a FE game in which crit was determined independently of hit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

Because of the way FE calculates hit rates, hit rates of >50% hit more often than the displayed number and hit rates of <50 hit less often.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Aug 11, 2019

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Andrast posted:

Because of the way FE calculates hit rates, hit rates of >50% hit more often than they should and hit rates of <50 hit less often.

This depends on the FE. Each FE has different things.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hellioning posted:

Well it's true for the other modern FE games so I assume it's true for Three houses as well

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Wanderer posted:

In my Blue Lions NG+ round Annette has never not crit and her max crit rate so far is like 8%.

She has stolen so many kills.

Speaking of NG+ I am already drowning in tea leaves when does tea time open back up? I feel like they should open up all the things you do with time when you start a New Game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

rannum posted:

I appreciate that they give randos crit quotes in this game

All I hear them yell is "eat my rear end press L2 to rewind fucko hahahaha"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Your Computer posted:

I don't think I've seen Felix ever not crit

Yeah, my Caspar will punch a guy and score a critical three times out of four at a 7% chance.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

quick question: do the NG+ bonus crest items work for relic activation? Because I've got a magic shield that works for people with the Fraldarius crest, but Felix dodges basically every attack, and the weight from the shield will just prevent him from attacking a billion times in a second

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yes.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Should I put off recruiting faculty members until the end so they can maximize stats, or recruit them whenever

They are all 4-5 levels behind my main dudes

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Should I put off recruiting faculty members until the end so they can maximize stats, or recruit them whenever

They are all 4-5 levels behind my main dudes

Recruit at least Hanneman and Manuela early so you get start levelling their Faith and Reason respectively. Having magic units who only have one just hurts them in the long run if you want to use them

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Speaking of, can you decline someone's request to join your class and then still recruit them later?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Hellioning posted:

This one feels like the 2RN system used from the GBA games through awakening. Fates did something weird and Echoes used the 1-RN system of the game it was a remake of but a return to the 2 RN system would be a return to normalcy.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

You know, the fight against Kronya and Solon isn't challenging in the slightest, but it's still satisfying. Kronya's just an assassin, not a fighter, so, despite her cockiness, she gets smacked down into the dirt. (in this case, by a tag-team of Byleth & Leonie, who has unique dialogue for it, which is nice)

And then Solon attacks, and you inform him that pissing off a Goddess is a bad idea.
it's even more satisfying if you warpskip right to him. "Oh, you've summoned a bunch of guards and monsters whatever shall I do- LOL J/K, get hosed."

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Solon seems built for being bullied by Byleth because of his magic effect

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Hargrimm posted:

Obviously the sauna is going to be coming in one of the updates, it even has a little name card come up when you go near it.

Most likely more than just the sauna, since currently the area behind the stables and knight's hall is unaccessible but showing on the map and the small cordoned off bit next to the dining hall with stairs leading up to it from the fishing area. I just hope that they'll add seasoal changes to the monastery in the same update.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Question about a mechanic:

Just got to post-time skip and I have my first opportunity to explore/battle/etc... I don't actually see lessons on the calendar anymore, so is there any point in exploring to get people's motivation up any longer? It does start you out at the end of the month, so perhaps they will come back next month? Or does it not visualize them on the calendar anymore but still happen anyway? I'm already at A+ teacher rank so I don't need to explore just for teacher points any longer. I'd rather just battle if there's nothing else to do.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Megasabin posted:

There will be more of that, and it'll show up in the calendar next month.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Megasabin posted:

Just got to post-time skip and I have my first opportunity to explore/battle/etc... I don't actually see lessons on the calendar anymore, so is there any point in exploring to get people's motivation up any longer? It does start you out at the end of the month, so perhaps they will come back next month? Or does it not visualize them on the calendar anymore but still happen anyway? I'm already at A+ teacher rank so I don't need to explore just for teacher points any longer. I'd rather just battle if there's nothing else to do.

They come back. Mechanically the downtime during chapters doesn't change.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Seeing a lot of people saying that Casper likes to die a lot, but I just sent my Casper through a teleporter, he got ambushed, and then he just loving massacred everything that came within reach of his fists/dodged every single ranged attack aimed at him.

It was very much a "I'm not trapped in here with you. YOU'RE TRAPPED IN HERE WITH ME :black101:" situation.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
My greatest underperformer on this Golden Deers run has been Ingrid, actually. I made her and Leonie both Pegasus/Falcon Knights, and Leonie just outpaces Ingrid in every way. I'm guessing I might've just been unlucky with relevant stat rolls, but at least both of them are utter speed monsters with 30-40 natural.

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Ingrid seems to be a classic peg knight who gets str/def screwed a lot, but drat is she fast. And mages can't even hurt her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

What route engages with flayn/seteth/rhea the most? I just finished blue lions and got nothing but teases, which is all I expected from that storyline. I assume both the BE routes?