Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenNight posted:

Whoever was on Warehouse 13 is the best one.

Aaron was, the Killjoys brother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rocksicles posted:

Aaron was, the Killjoys brother.

God drat right.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Krypton had the most metal "gently caress you Death" scene I've seen in a long time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Last night's Krypton
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdT2HqoV198&t=302s

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amused that Nucy is calling him Shawn.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Rhyno posted:

Krypton had the most metal "gently caress you Death" scene I've seen in a long time.

It was pretty goddamn graphic for Syfy.

Wowza.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gonz posted:

Wowza.

I'm really enjoying the show this year. I hope it gets a third season.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Gonz posted:

Wowza.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it was graphic for the tone usually set on Krypton. However, it's nothing close to the limits pushed by Blood Drive, Van Helsing, Deadly Class, and Happy!.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Gonz posted:

Wowza.

Yea Syfy seemed to try and push the envelope with Blood Drive and it seems advertisers were fine with heavy violence and swearing. If Battlestar aired now it probably wouldn't be frack .

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Always weird to me that syfy dropping f bombs in magicians but amc still won’t let walking dead do it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

GreenNight posted:

Always weird to me that syfy dropping f bombs in magicians but amc still won’t let walking dead do it.

NBCUniversal (which owns Syfy and USA) has stated that they're totally okay with f bombs as long it fits with the tone of the show.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

frgildan posted:

Yea Syfy seemed to try and push the envelope with Blood Drive and it seems advertisers were fine with heavy violence and swearing. If Battlestar aired now it probably wouldn't be frack .

Some advertisers were. Remember most episodes had in-world spoof ads or ran limited commercials and the shows were only like 50 minutes cuz of it

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

frgildan posted:

Speaking of BSG and frak, listening to the Battlestar Galacticast and one of the recent episodes, Tricia Helfer mentioned that for some reason, Number 6 was not allowed to say frak. She even tried sneaking it in and it wouldn't fly. Very tangential to this, but I really wonder why RDM decided that was a hard limit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Also, I think some of it has to do with how long TWD has been running. They probably don't want to change the language standards after being consistent for 6 or 7 years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I think it has more to do with the entire TWD franchise being utter poo poo.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

bull3964 posted:

Amused that Nucy is calling him Shawn.

Same, that got a laugh from me. Then a sad 😢

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

I'm really enjoying the show this year. I hope it gets a third season.

:same: but the ratings have been absolutely dire so I'm almost certain Krypton is going to get cancelled.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Krypton finale: Nyssa was on Rann, right? I assume those were parademons because of the omega symbol. But then their design seems wrong so maybe they are Thanagarians?

I would totally watch a spinoff with Nyssa and Lobo as they search for Jor-El stupid name.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Krypton finale: Nyssa was on Rann, right? I assume those were parademons because of the omega symbol. But then their design seems wrong so maybe they are Thanagarians?

I would totally watch a spinoff with Nyssa and Lobo as they search for Jor-El stupid name.

I assumed she was on Rann as Thangar invaded.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Krypton has been canceled.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GreenNight posted:

And they put their Lobo spinoff on hold too

quote:

But Krypton’s ratings took a hit in Season 2, down about 50% in Live+Same Day. With series that come from outside studios — as was also the case with The Expanse — Syfy has to rely solely on linear ratings to monetize a series, which is difficult for expensive shows like Krypton and Expanse, which command high license fees but whose viewers tend to watch content on digital platforms. For instance, Syfy only has streaming rights to the five most recent episodes of Krypton.

lol Syfy who is drawing up your contracts? Why are you so bad at streaming?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Syfy cancels everything good. I'm shocked The Magicians is still running. If this is their final season I'm going to be upset season 4 would have been a perfect series ender.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

pixaal posted:

Syfy cancels everything good. I'm shocked The Magicians is still running. If this is their final season I'm going to be upset season 4 would have been a perfect series ender.

I don't see how the show can keep going much longer. Quentin was the person who linked all the cast together and most often drove the main plot forward. Despite that one episode trying to convince the viewers otherwise, he was the main character. Penny could certainly take over that role, but most of the character's arcs don't really have anywhere else to go.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

GreenNight posted:

So, they kill Kem off and a week later the show gets cancelled.

I'm not saying anything. Just laying out the facts and letting you make your own conclusions.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Killjoys sure is spinning it's wheels hard in this final season. Halfway through the season and the main plot basically hasn't progressed at all. What an absolute waste.

Kline is going to teach The Lady about the power of human love and compassion and that's how she will be defeated, isn't it? :negative:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

pixaal posted:

I'm kinda amazed they gave Killjoys their last two seasons pretty much without question in one go. Having a five-year plan for the show probably helped, and I can't help but wonder if some of it was "kill Dark Matter, give the good space show their earmarked budget".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Pfft there is no way Killjoys got the Dark Matter budget. It's like severely noticeable this season that they have no money.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenNight posted:

Pfft there is no way Killjoys got the Dark Matter budget. It's like severely noticeable this season that they have no money.

Dark Matter wasn't much better really, they just had a bigger ship to disguise how much of the show took place on it. But yeah, season 5 is definitely pinching its pennies.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't think it's any coincidence that Syfy has all episodes of Killjoys on their site to stream. That's pretty much the deciding factor for them. Do they have streaming rights for all episodes rather than last 5 or current season? Renew. Don't? You'll be lucky if you get more than one season.

NBCU is going to be building their streaming portfolio for their service launching next year. They aren't going to spend money on things that they aren't going to be able to monetize on the service.

The Magicians is the exception that proves the rule since it's one of the highest rated things on the network. Still, I would expect that to wind down soon.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I wonder if Deadly Class was too expensive and that's why it got cut, although at the same time I'm not sure what qualifies as too expensive for SyFy.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

pixaal posted:

Syfy cancels everything good.

I don't understand what's going on over there. For awhile they were really trying now it's like the company is in limbo and interns are taking turns being in charge.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

wormil posted:

I don't understand what's going on over there. For awhile they were really trying now it's like the company is in limbo and interns are taking turns being in charge.

If the returns on when they actually tried weren't as hoped, they might be having financial issues and trying to trim the fat.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If the returns on when they actually tried weren't as hoped, they might be having financial issues and trying to trim the fat.

But they are trimming everything. Do they have any new shows in the works or will they go back to wrestling, lol.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Resident Alien and Vagrant Queen are two shows they ordered to series and should debut in 2020. Beyond that, there's stuff listed for development, but I haven't heard of anything that's close to airing.

Chucky
Cipher
Death Is My BFF
Five Ghosts
(Future) Cult Classic
Nightbreed
Night Gallery

Most of the new stuff seems horror oriented which makes sense since horror is undergoing a bit of a revival on the big screen right now. If it ain't comic book related, good luck getting it greenlit as a series.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dark Matter wasn't much better really, they just had a bigger ship to disguise how much of the show took place on it. But yeah, season 5 is definitely pinching its pennies.

I actually finished Dark Matter, it got very weird in the final season poo poo was about to go down in the next season opener but I also just couldn't care. I watched it purely to enjoy the ride. It's fun seeing what poo poo the writers would come up with.

I'm still early season 3 for Killjoys and not sure I'm going to finish it. The writers seem to have no plan and aren't very good at winging it. They then say space goo to hand wave all the problems away which just makes it all the more confusing. I can't just watch it and enjoy the ride because there's nothing there.

I am a fan of camp though, and Dark Matter was really campy.

Not everything needs to be big impressive prestigue TV sometimes you just want to sit down and turn your brain off. Thankfully Futureman is still running to provide campy scifi.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

pixaal posted:

I actually finished Dark Matter, it got very weird in the final season poo poo was about to go down in the next season opener but I also just couldn't care. I watched it purely to enjoy the ride. It's fun seeing what poo poo the writers would come up with.

I'm still early season 3 for Killjoys and not sure I'm going to finish it. The writers seem to have no plan and aren't very good at winging it. They then say space goo to hand wave all the problems away which just makes it all the more confusing. I can't just watch it and enjoy the ride because there's nothing there.

I am a fan of camp though, and Dark Matter was really campy.

Not everything needs to be big impressive prestigue TV sometimes you just want to sit down and turn your brain off. Thankfully Futureman is still running to provide campy scifi.

The earlier seasons were probably the best so yea you should probably cut your losses now. Honestly it makes seasons 4 and 5 more disappointing because they knew it would be their last 2 seasons and they aren't really doing a good job of progressing and concluding the story. Overall S4 was fine, but the s4 finale and now the first 5 episodes of season 5 have been mediocre at best.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

For what it's worth: I am not disappointed in the current season of Killjoys. But i must admit, i always liked it more when the characters interacted and had wacky adventures. I couldn't care less about the "main plot" with the Lady/Hullen and wouldn't care if it got resolved or not.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Same, I would have been fine it was five seasons of Team Awesome Force being all tight pants best pants and nothing to do with an overarching story.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
More adventure shows that aren't afraid of being adventure shows please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The majority of my tv viewing is already streaming services and I plan to cut the cord in 2020 anyway.