Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

With a commanding lead, Option 3 has TEN votes to Option 2's three votes. The winds of change are upon us. The world is not what we knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Anyone want a teaser on how things are going? Spoilers ahead!

Charlett
Apr 2, 2011
Welp, looks like we're never beating Kefka/Chupon/whomever at this rate. Rocks fall, everyone dies. :v:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

For anyone reading this in the future that can't see the discussion, I and the thread decided to randomize the game again with a completely new seed on a slightly more updated version of the Randomizer. This is why all the characters are different from the World of Balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sFPw2qBuMg
Final Fantasy VI - Dark World

We open on a new world. The ground is craggy and lifeless, the world map is divergent. Who are we?

This is Serena. Serena is our guide at this point of the story. Their stats are pretty average with a decent Speed. Fight, Rage and Item are nothing new. Aero is a Lore in vanilla, doing Wind Elemental damage to all enemies on the screen with a power of 125 and hit rate of 150. The "?" means it will cast from one to sixteen times, theoretically. If anyone following doesn't recognize the sprite, that is Kefka. The REAL Kefka.

As for Rage, we start with one monster. I won't be showing every single Rage and this one is very lackluster!

With the "worringtriad" code, we are given every single treasure chest from the WoB that can't be gotten in the WoR. The chests in Figaro Castle, Figaro Cave and South Figaro remain, as do any clocks in towns that still exist. I give Serena our best gear, and some nice safe relics. Running Shoes give Haste and immunity to Stop/Slow and Memento Ring will prevent any Instant Death skills from affecting them.

Speaking of items, here are the ones with rogue effects:
code:
	Fairy Ring 		- Mute x2, 1/2 encounter rate
	Cure Ring 		- Ice 2 x2
	DragoonBoots	        - Rage -> ?-Blaze
	Sprint Shoes	        - Mute x3
	FakeMustache	        - Mindblast -> R-All
	Ninja Gear		- Berserk
	MetalKnuckle	        - Mindblast -> R-All
	Fire Rod		- Casts Slow, Vigilance (prevents Back and Pincer attacks)
	Kodachi			- No clear (no Vanish status)
	Cursed Ring		- X-Zone x5
The ones with spells listed teach them at that rate, like Espers. The rest of our equipment is fairly standard, with the usual stat range randomization. Nothing too unusual.

We're missing a few Espers from previous updates. Golem, Zoneseek and Sraphim are still available in the WoR so we'll have to go find them again.

Handy list of Espers

This spreadsheet shows the Espers we have, their spells, level up bonus, and who can equip them. Currently Serena can't use any of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUv0r3ISswc
Ys III: Wanderers from Ys - Seal of Time

Our first combat encounter! The Unbre has the "can't escape" flag which triggers this special battle music. Otherwise, this section of the game doesn't have battle music and it just continues playing the Overworld theme. Juggies has Damage + Condemned as its special so that puts a timer on these battles.

Lucky for us, they aren't immune to Wind. On a side note, I'm not throwing entire monster stat blocks into the updates unless the thread requests them to come back. I'll still highlight anything cool, strange, or unusual; I just feel like no one cares about a particular enemy's Hit Rate, Speed, or Location, etc.

This is a very blue heavy seed so far. These have both Near Death and Regen status which amuses me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjwjZ9rUzHk
Legend of Mana - Nostalgic Song

Albrook is damaged but still functioning. The stores are filled with items I already have except for a Debilitator, Crystal Shield and some more healing items. The Crystal Shield is a nice upgrade from Serena's Heavy Shield and Debilitator is the second to last tool I need. Air Anchor still eludes me.

Pylon has 1946 HP and Suezz has Hard To Run, making this encounter annoying but easy.

Except that Pylon ALSO has WaveCannon and I haven't healed to full yet. WaveCannon suuuuuuucks.

Kauntr ALSO has a Damage + Condemned special. It's around this time that I remember I have a Memento Ring equipped so that Condemn won't actually do anything when it finishes counting.

Someone left their weird tower-shaped junk pile laying around. I'm sure it won't be significant.

This one is a big jerk. 5423 HP, auto haste, and a Confuse special. It kept Confusing Serena before I could act until I got lucky with it using a regular Battle command so I could get off enough Aeros.

Finding bosses in the wild, as a regular encounter, will never get old. Even when the boss is a jerk.

This one is way outclassed. It drops Relic Rings, which can be used to cheese the Tentacle fight coming up.

Those of you that have played before know I'm missing something. We'll be back for that later.

Auto Blind and a Damage + Berserk attack. They also drop Warp Stones, the handiest of stones.

Besides their low social status, Serfed Abe has a couple things going on. Their only skill is "Escape" and their Special is Damage x5. Their Rage has that same Damage x5 but also for some reason, Reflect???, a Lore. It inflicts Darkness, Silence, and Slow on all enemies that have the Reflect status on but will fail on any enemies immune to any of those statuses. In a game filled with useless statuses and spells, Reflect??? is somewhere in the Top 5 of uselessness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_i3S9JZGYQ
Final Fantasy VI - The Gestahl Empire

For whatever reason, Nikeah has different music than Albrook. I can't remember if they're different in vanilla.

This poor merchant had to sell their clothes. Or maybe it's just that no one cares anymore about nudity. I'm not helping because I didn't buy anything.

sneak sneak sneak sneak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8DJ6-adHKM
Final Fantasy IV - Welcome to Our Town!

Say, who IS this strange person?

I've now learned that emberling split "town music" into towns/cities and villages/houses. It's just coincidence that the first three places I got all have different music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q2kFAFqqmA
Final Fantasy XII - The Dalmasca Estersand

Some of the music will be direct links to emberling's YouTube channel. She puts in a ton of work to convert these songs into a format that FF6 can understand. It's all very complicated but the gist is that most every SNES game used their own set of "instruments" so you generally can't just shove a particular track into another game without heavy editing. There are a few songs made by other people; you should be able to find them HERE.

ANYWAY, this is the chocobo music and I don't think it's nearly peppy enough for my tastes, thanks BC EX.

I basically drove a car for a 15 second trip. You're welcome, Earth.

The Aardle has a special called "Crab Acid" and that is both delightful and terrifying; it also uses Bio for a ton of damage. The Hickwa uses Pep Up frequently, killing itself and restoring however much HP it had left to another monster. The Glycoo tries to be sneaky with auto-Vanish but Aero reveals it for all the world.

So won't you, please, be my, be my Bay Bah
Be my little Bay Bah, my one and only Bay Bah
Say you'll be my darlin', be my, be my Bay Bah
Be my Bay Bah now, my one and only Bay Bah
Wha oh oh oh

(they have a Zombie special but didn't get a chance to use it)

This does not look like a proper ninja color. Reptile doesn't count.

Automated turrets in a cave? Weird. They have an unblockable Damage + Sleep special. With 1358 HP they're just out of range of being killed by two Aeros. This fight takes longer than a random battle should.

I've never seen a more swole ghost in my life. So buff that they have a Damage x5 special. Their rage includes it and Imp. Also auto Imp and Seizure status which surely will never come into play if someone were to use that rage in a boss fight.

sneak sneak sneak sneak

"Belch Drop" is an amazing name for a special attack; it does Damage and Near Death. They only have 360 HP and no defense from Wind.

This particular set of assholes locked me in this cave for a while. The Dixo absorbs Wind and casts Fireball for around 300 damage a shot. Dogiac's only skill besides a Seizure attack is Wind Slash. Wind Slash hurts.

At max HP I can only survive two of those. Dogiac has 1596 HP and with the variance in Aero I need three of them in a row to kill both dogs before they kill me. Then I have to contend with Dixo using Fireball for the rest of my health. They have 2374 HP and Fight isn't going to do it so I dig into my Rages.

Ah, Excu Hol does x5 damage, I'll use that! Except it comes with Imp status, which disables your Special Attack and also means the immunity to Wind never initializes. I don't have anything else that does enough damage and also makes me immune to Wind so it's just a slog of attempts until I get 3+ Aeros in a row then kill Dixo with regular attacks while healing. No, I didn't remember I had another Damage x5 rage, shut up.

I'm sure nothing else bad will pop up.

Ah gently caress I can't believe you've done this.

About as much of a hassle as the previous version, thankfully. Serena is almost level 30 at this point as a lot of enemies so far have given thousands of XP and I haven't been running away from a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rb8VFBN2kFs

There was a Monster in a Box in Figaro Castle.

This normally shows up in a treasure chest on the Phantom Train and is so far removed from a challenge. It DOES have "Dies at MP Zero". This goes well with the 12,550 MP it has if you're up for an endurance test, I guess.

Finally, we've caught up to the stranger in the engine room of the castle. FF6 is wild. Time for a boss fight!

gently caress! Follow that link for a compilation of my first three attempts at this boss.

This one shows me pulling my brain out of my rear end and doing better.

code:
Mind Blast inflicts Blind, Zombie, Poison, Imp, Petrify, Doom, Silence, Berserk, Confuse, Sap, Sleep, Slow, or Stop on four random opponents.
Despite the animation only playing on two of the tentacles it seems to actually have a chance to affect all of them.

This one wasn't immune to Death, or Petrify. Or maybe Zombie, there's not really any way to tell.

Woof. That's the Damage x5 rage that DOESN'T give Serena auto-Imp. The Tentacles all have different HP values (4686, 7391, 8504, 8477) and while this doesn't kill one outright it severely damages it.

The top left one has the least HP but also a Slow special attack. Slow is annoying.

Seize is the worst. It removes that character from battle while in effect and if you queue'd up an item or spell right before, you lose that item/MP. The Tentacle also sucks them dry, slowly. This is where those Relic Rings come in handy, if needed. They turn you undead so any Drain effects like this will reverse, meaning your undead character gets healed by the Tentacle.

This is literally all the animation for Reflect???

Honestly the battle wasn't bad at all once I figured out to stop using the bad rage and use the good one instead. Life is funny like that.

Hands up, how many people didn't know this suit of armor had treasure in it? Don't be ashamed. I've already got a few of these.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=490ct5-t8-U

A blue desert would look wild in real life.

Wei isn't too bad, honestly. Their sprite is Lulu from FFX. GP Rain is a good backup if you don't have another way to inflict damage and Mind Blast can cause all sorts of problems for enemies. Above average stats too. They can also equip a couple Espers! This gives me access to a handful of useful spells and level up bonuses.

Treasures:
Antidote
Cherub Down
Cure Ring
Ether
Genji Helmet
Gold Shield
Leather Hat
Light Robe
MithrilBlade
Revivify
Safety Bit
Stout Spear
Tabby Suit
Tent
ThunderBlade
Trident

The Genji Helmet was a pretty nice upgrade, at least.

Next time, we find an airship and begin opening things up for a vote!

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 2, 2019

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
You have not enough Pylons. (/Starcraft)

Going back for Sabin location when you've got more members, I take it?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CptWedgie posted:

You have not enough Pylons. (/Starcraft)

Going back for Sabin location when you've got more members, I take it?

Once I get the airship, I'll be taking votes for where we go next and who we take with us. I did actually go into the Collapsing House and discovered something I wanted to do but couldn't with just Serena.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

okay.jpg

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

No, no. That's the Lllumina.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That blue desert made me think Figaro was stuck in the sea for some reason.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

So wait, you're not taking the 14 Ragnarok Espers instead?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Hello again, and welcome to this update that is super short but somehow has a ton of screenshots.

We move our mechanical wonder of a castle to the other side of the map.

Sieryla has a Damage x3 attack but otherwise isn't dangerous. Sacrepi, however, has a Damage x4.5 Rage that it shares with a Battle command. Battle is just a regular attack but it's way better than something useless like Imp or Reflect???.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjwjZ9rUzHk
Legend of Mana - Nostalgic Song

The water here looks like the Ohio River. I wouldn't drink either of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMGoQtn27pU
Secret of Mana - Dancing Beasts

The old coot's house, which is story relevant later, has a hidden chest by the back door. It should've stayed hidden.

Look! A unique sprite!

Somehow we convince them to come with us, and they show off the location of a tomb we can rob on the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TV2zr7N1lO0
Final Fantasy VI - Edgar and Sabin

Kaoru has Phoenix (the esper) + Acid Rain as a combo.

code:
Deals Poison/Water dual-elemental damage and inflicts Seizure to all targets. Damage is inverted on Undead targets. Its Spell Power is 25 and its Hit Rate is 100. It ignores Split Damage and affected by the Silence status.
A Spell Power of 25 isn't all that great but as I recall, Phoenix does damage as well so I load them up on magic boosting gear. They can't equip any espers yet but also don't have a Magic command so it's not QUITE so harsh.

The Cair has a special attack called "Exploder" that simply makes the target go into Vanish status. Sounds like some kind of magic trick.

They also do El Nino which hurts a lot.

Weird, Phoenix didn't do any damage. Maybe it missed somehow?

...oh right. The Final Fantasy V version of Phoenix does damage, this one only revives dead things. Whoops! It could come in handy as an "undead check" at least. I can also single/multi target it onto my own party so if I can get Poison/Water absorbtion, that would be neat.

The Plungf has 9,668 HP and would have been the perfect test for Phoenix as it is undead. I completely forget to do so.

Time to Indiana Jones some artifacts.

The official translation is "Darill", as seen here in the location text. Setzer, in the vanilla SNES text, refers to her as Daryl. I can only imagine the time crunch Ted Woolsey was under while translating.

This sort of thing would absolutely keep me away from any tombs. They cast Sun Bath a lot.

Another auto-Vanish monster. It has Evil Toot which is mean but they also both have less than 400 HP and don't negate Wind damage.

I always hate seeing this enemy sprite. It's a very good sprite but usually indicates a monster that will gently caress you up.

Usually but not always. Only 1800 HP and auto-Blind status.

God I'm so sick of this encounter.

I honestly don't think I ever used this armor in the vanilla game. It actually turns your sprite into a Moogle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ia1pBPNw4Q
Final Fantasy IX - Festival of the Hunt

Our Moogles are... clocks. Could be worse I guess? The Kaund is yet another Damage x5 special, with Aero as the second command and 7748 HP. Esot doesn't really have a lot going on. Vaune is a dick.

:argh:

At least the group dropped us a command changer! Carbunkl doesn't really need to be cast twice in a row. It could be useful in a fight where the enemy negates Wind and also casts magic, as Carbunkl uses Reflect on the entire party.

This looks expensive!

What's that rumble?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM7bYQLI5A4
Legend of Mana - Pain the Universe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNeO7_Oq1cc - Watch me die a whole bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlMElZrnjUk - Watch me (eventually) kill this boss.

code:
Deals Holy-elemental damage on all enemies with a level that is a multiple of last digit of the party's current gil. Spell Power is 120.
Dullahan doesn't use it very often but Wei isn't a fan.

Serena goes with the Sacrepi Rage, giving them a Damage x4.5 and Battle command. Dullahan negates Wind, meaning all three of my x5 Rages have issues in this fight. Damage x4.5 is good enough.

Almost every single attack that hits Dullahan results in a counter for 173-273~ damage. This includes any magic reflected off my Wall Rings.

Assassin daggers can be used as items in battle, casting Bolt 3 and getting used up. Dullahan isn't even weak to Lightning!

Remember when I said Reflect??? is pretty useless? That doesn't apply when it's used against us. This casting only affected Kaoru but Dullahan uses it often. It inflicts Blind, Silence, and Slow on anyone it hits because of those Wall Rings I'm wearing to survive Ice 3 and Pearl. Never a Dull-ahan moment around here.

Magicite uses a random Summon from any in the game except Odin and Raiden. It also won't summon the four GBA exclusive Espers (Gilgamesh, Cactuar, Leviathan, Diabolos) in that game. This isn't the worst outcome but it wasn't that great either.

Dullahan has nine attacks, including just a regular Battle command. They're all terrible for me.

Ice 3 is bad in that it does very little damage.

At least this HP Drain attack is pretty weak.

If you watched the failure video, you may notice Serena healing Dullahan for 3.5k with their Rage. I had a Graedus equipped which has a Pearl element, which Dullahan absorbs. Sad times.

If this was FFV, Antlion would probably just remove that character from the battle forever. FFV does not gently caress around. I believe I still had a Memento Ring equipped on Wei which should block this. That or I just got lucky when Wei was hit with it.

You know things are desperate when you have to rely on FenixDowns to revive often.

God this guy is such a bag of HP that I start throwing whatever I can from my inventory.

Then he immediately heals most of it back!

I have the Dragon Horn on Kaoru, allowing them to attack multiple times while Jumping. They do respectable damage on each hit.

Finally one last reflected Ice 3 does 400~ damage and takes Dullahan down. I looked him up after:

code:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dullahan (Level 37)
/-----------------------------------\
| HP: 37757 | ATK:   69 | SPD:   78 |
| MP:  1949 | DEF:  168 | HIT:  193 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:  11 | EVD:   13 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 177 | MBLK:   0 |
\-----------------------------------/
NULLIFY: wind, pearl, earth;  WEAK: fire
IMMUNE: berserk, condemned, confuse, death, imp, mute, near death, petrify, poison, sleep, stop, zombie
AUTO: float, haste
OTHER: can't escape, dies at MP zero
SPECIAL "Spirit": damage + hp drain
SKILLS: Antlion, Cure 3, Fire Beam, Ice 3, L.? Pearl, N. Cross, Pearl, Reflect???
LORE: L.? Pearl, Reflect???
STEAL: BehemothSuit, Magicite
DROPS: Oath Veil, Oath Veil
Thirty seven thousand HP! I forgot until after the battle that vanilla Dullahan dies at 0 MP, which I think still always carries over to BC. With all those expensive spells, he was probably pretty close to running out of MP and dying anyway. If I had had a source of Rasp this fight would've been a lot easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SHOEqqdva0
Final Fantasy VI - Searching For Friends

While I'm disappointed that BC didn't give me a randomized overworld theme for either one in the World of Ruin, I can't be too upset because this song is so god damned good. It really changes and sets the tone. Initially in the WoR you have that horribly depressing music as all hope seems lost. Then you find a couple friends, then a means of transport and everyone is motivated to find the rest of the characters and maybe help this world out.

I still hold out hope that someday we'll get a decent remake of VI. They could do it in the style of Octopath Traveller, even.

What's this robot doing here?

That Magic Power is pretty average but hello 40 speed and ALSO two amazing forms of magic. Scar isn't a natural mage and can only equip Kirin so far but I won't say no to Cure 2.

They also come with a really good selection of Lores. Pearl Wind heals the entire party by an amount equal to the caster's current HP, Big Guard casts Shell and Safe on the entire party, and Quasar does a significant amount of non-elemental damage. They all cost a large amount of MP but I have a Gold Hairpin floating around that can solve that issue if need be.

For now, I load Scar down with as much magic boosting equipment as I can.

As for Scar already being on the Airship, there is a little weirdness. In the World of Balance, you get your Gau replacement automatically because treasure/shop randomization could potentially leave you without Dried Meat to recruit them. Gau in the World of Ruin can lead to problems behind the scene with Leap, so they're just shoved into the Airship automatically. This version of BC also randomizes the location of most characters so we actually ended up with Locke's replacement! The most significant thing about this is that we should have access to Narshe now.

The airship stops outside this town but we are free to do as we please.

As we only have four characters currently, there isn't any need to vote on which ones we take. You do get to vote on where we go, however!

Please VOTE for which location we should aim for next from this list:

Mobliz
Mt. Zozo
Cave on the Veldt
Tzen (Collapsing House)
Owzer's House
Zone Eater's Stomach
Narshe - If you choose Narshe, please also VOTE for which character we leave behind to make room for Mog: Serena, Wei, Kaoru, Scar. We will be recruiting both characters from Narshe.

For reference, we can't get the person at Fanatic's Tower as we need Relm's replacement and I refuse to do the Phoenix Cave with less than eight people. I'm not THAT big a masochist.

I'll be out of town this Wednesday to Sunday so I'll go ahead and let voting go until next Sunday, August 4th. I doubt I'll feel like doing an update that day but I will try to remember to tally up all the votes.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jul 28, 2019

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I vote Tzen quick, balanced for early on. May as well do that fast.

Mobliz second if you want since Tzen would be for a very tiny update on its own.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Veldt Cave for no particular reason.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Zone Eater's Stomach

Mostly because it's where I always go quickly myself, since it's relatively low on fights and has a bunch of chests.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tzen

Also the sequence of getting the falcon and first taking off is one of the best scenes in video games period. I'd be more disappointed if they had changed Searching For Friends.

Omnicrom fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jul 28, 2019

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Tzen

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Tzen

So I downloaded the randomizer and had to run it twice. The first time it randomized the character sprites and skills and nothing else, the second time round it seems to love mashing the "give enemies blizzard" button. Also, R-Heavy is kind of garbage for a skill, though ?-Water is fun until everything is immune to water.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

"?-X is fun until enemies are immune to X" is BC.txt.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

the struggle is extremely real and is at least partly why I spam Ultima so much

it's real cool when you proc Pearl on your Illumina and end up healing the monster

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

"?-X is fun until enemies are immune to X" is BC.txt.

It also seemed like World of Ruin enemies started to love to absorb fire or wind elements to prevent multi target blitzes from doing good work.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So... uh... I got not-Sabin with the abilities Swordtech and R-All. I should stop trying the random abilities I think.

code:
R-All
-------
Use a random skill targeting allies and enemies alike.

(3/8 chance each)  Merton
  (2/8 chance each)  W Wind
  (1/8 chance each)  Crusader, ForceField, Quake
Turns out Merton kills everyone when you're low-level.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It's baffling that R-all is even an option in the randomizer, it's functionally a blank skill slot because you can never use it.

I mean in theory you can Float everyone and equip fire-nullifying/absorbing gear on everyone (good luck having enough gear for that before endgame though) and hope to get Quake or Merton, but just as likely you're going to get W Wind or loving Crusader.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Randalor posted:

So... uh... I got not-Sabin with the abilities Swordtech and R-All. I should stop trying the random abilities I think.

code:
R-All
-------
Use a random skill targeting allies and enemies alike.

(3/8 chance each)  Merton
  (2/8 chance each)  W Wind
  (1/8 chance each)  Crusader, ForceField, Quake
Turns out Merton kills everyone when you're low-level.

I was under the impression that Merton would kill you even when you're high-level unless you've got equipment to protect against it. Its spell power isn't that far below Ultima, so it's almost certain to be enormously damaging if you aren't immune to Fire or Wind, albeit not as much so as Ultima or Crusader would be (Merton: 138, Ultima: 150, Crusader: 190). Yes, I looked it up; I didn't know how powerful it was, I only remembered that it would utterly destroy me whenever it got used, regardless of the user. I don't think I was ever brave enough to summon Crusader due to the (justified) fear of it being even more powerful than Ultima and prone to vaporizing me along with the enemies.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Bah, everyone knows Merton kills you at high levels, but who has Merton at level 10-11?

I didn't check the file until after I tried R-All. Good to know the game gave me a suicide button :shrug:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fresh off of a good time at Gen Con, I have tallied the votes. With a commanding FOUR, we are headed to Tzen next! That's a drat short trip so probably we will head to Mobliz right after that, as Feyerbrand suggested. To keep it simple, I'll use the same four characters for both areas and we can find out what the new people have together.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

It's that time again!

This is a cozy little place. Has the same relaxing town music as some of the other places. It looks a little worn down but mostly untouched!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL_H-T51k4Y
Chrono Trigger - Battle 1

Oh sweet Jesus!

No, not that giant flash of light and music change. The item shop! It sells Megalixirs for a 65k! Expensive but boy are those nice to have. I've also edited out the characters we haven't gotten yet, no spoilers here.

No reason we can't engage in a little backwoods drug dealing.

Wei is the only one that can equip it and as they can't cast magic at all, this Esper is useless to me.

I've never seen a load bearing clock before.

Normally this would be Sabin. Instead, we get Mog. Since Mog is missable in the WoB, we get the chance to name them now if we wanted. We don't, but we could!

For those unaware, the Collapsing House is a timed segment. There are random battles, treasure chests, and a child to rescue. Most permadeath runs avoid the chests like the plague, for reasons you will see in a bit. They have a good chance of holding amazing gear but they are not worth the risk.

The Phobod have 1208 HP and nothing really notable. That's about 400~ HP higher than a GP Rain will do so the fight is not quite as fast as I'd like. They also sometimes cast Imp.

Eniw Ibi can cast Schiller, lowering my level. Otherwise, not a threat. This would be a real easy permadeath house.

I stuff the child inside Scar's robot body and head to the last chest in the house. What'll it be!?

A good reason not to open chests here! I actually came to the house first thing and found this little fella hanging out. I decided I wanted to kill it and Serena couldn't do it alone. Normally this boss is in a chest in Daryll's Tomb.

A Blowfish for 1000 and Kaoru takes to the sky.

Serena hitting hard with that Attack x5 rage.

Unfortunately it frequently counters with, and regularly casts, Giga Volt. It hurts a lot.

Even the multi target version is rude.

Hope you remember how the Whelk fight at the beginning of the game worked!

With Serena doing almost 3k and Kaoru doing at least that much every time, this fight was a lot easier than trying to solo it. It did take me a couple tries but was short enough that I'm not uploading video of it.

They were probably rich, gently caress em.

Later, suckers!

One year out, Mobliz is in real bad shape. A direct hit from Kefka's Light of Judgement will do that.

Oh god I hope this isn't another Little Lamplight.

God dammit!

An adult! Oh thank goodness.

(The sprite is Judge Vossler, who I'm guessing is either Final Fantasy Tactics Advance or Final Fantasy XII)

Said adult appears sad, maybe that they're stuck in an underground bunker with so many children. And two horny teenagers.

Through a Vulcan mind meld, the stranger tells us what happened.

Everyone but the children died. And I guess more children showed up?

We leave because this person doesn't have any fight left in them. They just want to hide and protect the children.

There are loud footsteps outside.

Fuuko is their name, murdering monsters is their game.

Nevermind.

SIKE we never left!

Phunbaba is a good monster sprite.

Our party don't give a gently caress about -aga spells.

Phunbaba DOES give a gently caress about meteors.

And clocks jumping on them. Seeya, nerd.

A nap sounds like a good idea, Fuuko.

Phunbaba dropped an esper! It has +2 Speed! Nobody can use it yet!

We'll be back in a bit.

Alright we're back.

The plot has advanced, time is irrelevant.

SOMEHOW, one of the horny teenagers got pregnant. Also Phunbaba has returned I guess.

I beat his rear end some more and he rewards me by Blowing Wei and Serena away. Kaoru is still in the air.

Oh poo poo, it's on now!

That's the Emperor from Final Fantasy 2. Also Fuuko isn't our Terra replacement but that doesn't matter, the game still Morphs them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNfEDl31Fms - No failures this time, just success.

Oh. Whatever weapon Fuuko has equipped has an element that Phunbaba absorbs.

We got ourselves a Rager! Even their "throw my body at the enemy" attack does nothing.

Luckily, Scar and Kaoru are the best two characters to have been left behind.

WaveCannon is the worst thing Phunbaba can throw at us. It's not TOO dangerous but my only healing with Scar dead is potions.

Finally, with Fuuko dead I can stop healing the boss. Kaoru has a Wall Ring on so the only potential problems are its Attack x3 and WaveCannon, both of which frequently missed due to Kaoru flying in the sky.

code:
Phunbaba (Level 31)
| HP: 38612 | ATK:   20 | SPD:   45 |
| MP: 13720 | DEF:  114 | HIT:  117 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:   6 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 153 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, pearl, earth, water;  WEAK: bio
VULNERABLE: haste, protect, sleep
AUTO: haste
OTHER: can't escape
SPECIAL "Roost": attack x3
SKILLS: Bolt 2, Ice 3, WaveCannon
STEAL:
DROPS:
Just a big loving sack of meat. The previous two iterations (all three previous forms have separate stats) had Blow Fish and I'm very happy this one didn't. 1,000 unblockable damage is bad. Fuuko had a Graedus on, which is Pearl elemental.

Kids scared of their "momma" when morphed.

Kids realize that this person is their momma and are happy, then momma pees on us. A classic tale.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAO6qgsFlf0
Secret of Mana - Secret of the Arid Sands (Fuuko)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDN6fQAn7fw
Final Fantasy VI - Umaro (Popuko)

We got us two party members to look at! Also, the music in game is weird since we randomized character locations. The game plays the music of the character that is normally supposed to be there, instead of the character that is. I've provided their real themes, instead of the ones that played here.

While I was making seeds to find a good one, I kept my eye out for this exact thing. A Rage Rager! Yes, this means Fuuko will chose a random Rage from the choices while also attacking like a Berserker! You can't get much more RNG than that. They have the Strength, Speed and Magic to back it up, too. I'm sure no one will vote to put this person in the party because who could possibly want to make things difficult for me?

Popuko is still random but less so. R-Water is the same as Ranma's 3xWater, just with changed percentages.

code:
(3/8 chance each)  Water Edge
  (2/8 chance each)  Bismark, CleanSweep
  (1/8 chance each)  El Nino
The random Slots I drew are pretty nice and I'll show them off in a future update.

Popuko also gets Sraphim as an option, which still does me no good as they don't have Magic either.

Nobody else gets Sraphim.

And we're off!

------------------------------------------------------------

ALL TREASURES COLLECTED
Wing Edge
Jewel Ring
Tiger Mask
Gold Armor
Dragon Horn
Poison Claw
DaVinci Brush
Safety Bit

Nothing with major changes.

Mt. Zozo
Cave on the Veldt
Owzer's House
Zone Eater's Stomach
Doma Castle
Opera House
Narshe - If you choose Narshe, please also VOTE for which three characters we take to make room for Mog's replacement: Serena, Wei, Kaoru, Scar, Fuuko, Popuko. We will be recruiting both characters from Narshe.

For reference, we still can't get the person at Fanatic's Tower as we need Relm's replacement and I refuse to do the Phoenix Cave with less than eight people. I'm not THAT big a masochist.

There are other places to go in the WoR that don't really need their own special update so I will sprinkle them in as needed. Or I might forget to include them. That probably won't happen.

Voting will last for one week, until Saturday, August 17th 2019.

Edit: gently caress! I forgot! Also VOTE for which four characters I take along.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 11, 2019

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fuuko and Popuko need to be permanent party members. The Battle Clock and the Randomest Random That Ever Randomed.

Voting for Zone Eater's Stomach

PurpleXVI fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Aug 11, 2019

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Zone Eater

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Let's take a look inside of Zone Eater!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Mt. Zozo

I am nothing if not merciful

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Zone Eater

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm an idiot, please also VOTE for which four characters I should bring along.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Zone Eater because why not, and use Fuuko, Popuko, Serena, and Kaoru because I want to see you suffer why not.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Zone Eater with Fuuko, Popuko, Serena, and Scar.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Sure, let's do Zone Eater.

Would it be possible to keep a list of what characters have what abilities, and add it to the first post or something? The names are meaningless to me, and don't match the sprites, and I don't remember what anyone can do in either event, so it's tricky to vote for a team without looking through the updates for their ability screenshot.

That said, let's give Fuuko and Popuko a chance, plus Scar and Wei. Wei's mindblast will be helpful in a dungeon with no boss.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Sure, let's do Zone Eater.

Would it be possible to keep a list of what characters have what abilities, and add it to the first post or something? The names are meaningless to me, and don't match the sprites, and I don't remember what anyone can do in either event, so it's tricky to vote for a team without looking through the updates for their ability screenshot.

That said, let's give Fuuko and Popuko a chance, plus Scar and Wei. Wei's mindblast will be helpful in a dungeon with no boss.

I did think about that but just haven't gotten to it yet. Maybe a spot in the OP somewhere with pictures.

Edit:

Serena -
Wei -
Kaoru -
Scar -
Fuuko -
Popuko -

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Aug 17, 2019

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

You've got Scar's bio linked twice :v:

I'll add to my zone eater vote from before to say that your team should consist of Popuko, Kaoru hopefully still wearing her clock suit, Scar, and Wei. I figure Scar should give you a fighting chance since I was determined to see a team with two clocks in it.

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Aug 18, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

We are headed to the Zone Eater's Belly!

Character voting ended as such:

code:
Popuko - 5 votes
Fuuko - 4 votes
Scar - 3 votes
Serena/Wei/Kaoru - 2 votes
I asked a neutral third party to give me a number between one and three and she picked two, so our party this round will be Popuko, Fuuko, Scar, Wei!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Look at our battle clock! See the minute hands counting down your doom from the hour hands!

https://i.imgur.com/qdzMlTw.mp4

Check out their amazing walk! Alright cool let's head to the Zone Eater.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl7SuNK-aZ0
Chrono Trigger - World Revolution

Whoops! I bet you thought there wouldn't be any boss battles this update. Me either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pDnqiyFMTU - Here is me getting my rear end beat several times.

Auto Vanish, what a turd. Luckily I don't have Reflect on anyone so its opening attack is useless.

This is also where I discover that Popuko's R-Water is All Target and Roulette. That is way less than ideal.

It absorbs water anyway.

However it doesn't absorb body blows from Fuuko. That's a spicy hit!

And that is a terribly spicy counter hit.

Slots: Gems gets us Tritoch. Doom Gaze absorbs one of those elements.

Slots: Airships uses Terrato. Doom Gaze is floating so it misses.

Slots: Chocobos. For reasons I don't understand but won't question, Gogo's Desperation Attack can hit vanished enemies with the third highest power of all the DAs. I guess it's counted as a magical attack?

As for the rest of the Slots uh...slots; BAR-BAR-BAR remains a random summon and 7-7-BAR is still a Joker Doom that kills your entire party.

code:
Slots: Fail - L.3 Muddle
Slots: Dragons - Quadra Slam
Slots: Joker Doom - Wombat
There is also a trick to getting the slot you want that you can see in the video. You basically just pause at certain moments to guarantee yourself the slot you want. It's not 100% perfect though things can be modifed based on the animation of certain attacks. However Wombat is not something I'm worried about enough to bother trying to do all the time.

Wind attacks are stronger the higher in the air you are.

No they aren't.

Same deal with cold attacks.

Anyway gently caress that, we'll be back for Doom Gaze later.

Suck my clock cock with your no-lip mouth! EXTREMELY NSFW, BTW.

Woolsey is a treat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OTcD2EMAKs
Chrono Trigger - Primitive Mountain

I honestly don't understand how this dungeon works at all, unless the Zone Eater is actually bigger than the sprite, or if it's got some TARDIS poo poo going on. Maybe all these rocks are just a tumor eating away at it?

I tried to think of a Lisa Kudrow joke but literally all I know about her is her name.

However these sprites are goofy as hell and I love 'em.

Erica here has the following skills: Cure 3, Fire, Fire 2, Fire 3, Flare, Haste, Regen. For some reason, the only one they tried to cast was Flare and it just..didn't do anything. Not even an animation or text box saying it failed. They don't have auto mute or anything either.

Ruff has an attack called "Snap Chomp" and if that isn't the most appropriate combination ever I don't know what is.

Ammosedie has 10,429 HP and boy was I surprised when an X-Meteo didn't kill it.

Oooooh, a monster in a box! I bet it's something from the WoB, something real easy that could never ever be a problem for this team with very little healing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUg3FMMAl0E
Etrian Odyssey III - Unrest - End of the Raging Waves

Oh my god I take it back, please don't hurt me!

BLARGH.

code:
Pugs (Level 99)
| HP: 24532 | ATK:   10 | SPD:  144 |
| MP: 24193 | DEF:  140 | HIT:  177 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:   1 | EVD:  255 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 202 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: ice, pearl, earth, water;  WEAK: fire
VULNERABLE: imp, mute, protect, regen, seizure, shell, slow, vanish, zombie
AUTO: interceptor, shell
OTHER: can't escape
SPECIAL "Eerie Leaf": attack x8
SKILLS: Ice 3
STEAL: Force Armor
DROPS: MINOR SPOILER, MINOR SPOILER
Take a moment, and consider your FF6 knowledge. Based on the screenshots I've provided and this here stat block, how do you think the battle went?

Despite having Ice 3 as a skill, Pugs will only ever Battle, and use their Special. A character that is vanished or otherwise immune to physical attacks can take as much time as they need. Fuuko just happened to use a Rage that gave them Vanish last battle, and then used a Rage this battle that didn't cast spells on themself. The Pugs' Ice 3 is actually used as a counter ONLY if you cast magic at them.

By sheer random luck on the part of the most random character I have, I had exactly what I needed to kill these things easily. That isn't the best part, however. This is:

Yes, yes, and please yes thank you.

The Offering is vanilla but it can be equipped by 12 of the potential 14 party members. Probably the other two can as well but I haven't encountered them so they don't show up in lists yet.

:staredog: Look at that thing, it's glorious!

Now in the interest of fairness, I'm told the MP Critical effect is useless because Ragnarok ignores defense anyway and so can't crit, and Ultima won't do full damage unless you're in the front row.

However I don't care because this is a cool rear end sword. And if nothing else, it's an obscene stat stick.

Goodness. I'm glad all of you voted for this dungeon. I had completely forgotten Excalibur was even in this game because it ONLY drops from Goddess, one of the last bosses before the final fight and I haven't actually played vanilla in years.

It's like a baby form of Ragnarok but that's OK. +20 Evade and +10 MBlock is super good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oi-UTBvC7cI
Final Fantasy IV - Land of Dwarves

It's so cute! I just wanna rub this bunny all over!

Whoops. That's a lawsuit.

(This is Bunny Link from A Link To The Past, replacing Terra)

Now normally these commands wouldn't excite me, nor would Zepeli starting at level 3 due to a bug (fixed in the latest update). However if you recall, Zepeli is one of the three people that can wield Ragnarok/Excalibur (and most likely Illumina) as well as having a ridiculously high Magic Power. They can currently equip Carbunkl, Stray and Shiva. Stray's +1 to Stamina is useless but teaches Cure 2. Carbunkl adds +1 Strength and Shiva has +1 Speed and Zepeli has tons of levels to go. If nothing else, I can give them the legendary combo of Genji Gloves and Offering to swing two Ragnaroks for eight hits total!

Honestly I can't thank all of you enough for providing me this bounty.

PS Gogo in the previous seed was Just A Mimic, how boring.

ALL TREASURES
Ether
24200 GP
Tabby Suit
Excalibur
Crystal Shld
Hero Ring
Doom Darts
Guardian

Some good stuff here, all of it pretty close to vanilla. Doom Darts can go on Fuuko, giving them an insta-kill if needed.

Mt. Zozo
Cave on the Veldt
Owzer's House
Doma Castle - Since I have no idea what Magitek Armor skills are in this game, I will be taking Zepeli to this place. They are our Terra replacement and so will have all eight available Magitek skills instead of just four.
Narshe - If you choose Narshe please only vote for three characters, to make room for Mog's replacement. We will be recruiting both characters from Narshe.

Please ALSO VOTE for the four characters we will bring with us, with any changes that are noted above.

Voting will last for one week, until Sunday, August 25th 2019.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Let's go with Narshe, using Fuuko, Zepeli, and Scar. I'm feeling merciful as far as the party choice goes.

CptWedgie fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 18, 2019