Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Welcome to this Let's Play of Final Fantasy 3/6! If you haven't played this game before, you're in for a very confusing time because we’ll be using a randomizer hack. 

Some Info About The Romhack
Back in February of 2017, liquidypoo did a video playthrough of the Beyond Chaos romhack for Final Fantasy 3, a randomizer hack. The thread is HERE and the LP Archive is HERE

The version of the randomizer that liquidypoo used was the last version that abyssonym created. From this romhack, a small community of speed runners and permadeath runners started playing the game on Twitch. They eventually made a Discord group, which is open to the public. This should be a permanent link to the Discord and they always welcome new members. 

Since the time of liquidypoo's LP, members of the Discord have updated the romhack with abyssonym’s blessing. They're currently on Version 2 of Beyond Chaos EX and some of this stuff can get bonkers. You can find the current version of the randomizer HERE and a link to the full list of changes HERE.

Our Rules
I made a few seeds until I found one that I thought was interesting enough to share, and will be showing off what I can. I'm using a specially created "textless" ROM that has some additional features to aid players in understanding their new randomized game. 

1) Items that have additional effect, such as items that cast a spell when you attack or automatically give a buff when equipped, will display in the item menu fully. 
2)The main menu and party formation screens will show the original name of a character in addition to their randomized name. 
3)Rages can be opened in the Skills menu to provide all relevant information. 
4)Dances will display what skills they use. 

I will be doing my best to highlight anything interesting or funny that I've found along the way. Due to one of the codes I used, all of the cutscenes from the beginning until Kefka at Narshe have been removed, and some of the cutscenes after that are also removed. If you have never played or read an LP about this game before, you likely will be confused and won't understand anything at all about the plot. 

In places where the music has changed, I will post a YouTube link to the new music.

Two rules; don't be a jerk, and no spoilers.

This is the randomizer's main screen, after I've put in all the information I wanted. If you want a handy link of all the current possible codes, I put them in a spreadsheet HERE.

You can determine which parts you actually want randomized, input a seed, and put in "secret" codes like the ones I linked above. HERE is a link to all the available random sprites; minor spoilers abound.

Personally, I don't like randomized Blitz inputs or a randomized Zozo clock so I turn those off. As far as the "secret" codes, I did the following: 

code:
capslockoff - I prefer not having names in all caps. 

makeover - The Discord has created/modified over 200 sprites that can be inserted in place of any overworld sprite.

notawaiter - The code that removes most of the mandatory cutscenes. The community does lots of speed runs and races, with the end point being the Kefka fight at Narshe, so removing all those cutscenes reduces the time spent. 

partyparty - This mixes a few of the base game sprites into the pool for potential party members. I'm not sure if this is superseded by the makeover code or not. 

dancingmaduin - All Espers can only be equipped by usually one character; some will be able to equip multiples and a few might share an Esper. This also changes which spell the Paladin Shield teaches. You can no longer rely on having Ultima on all characters. 

randombosses - In previous versions, boss skills were untouched. This code randomizes them in the same way that regular enemies are randomized, generally weighted to the same power level as their regular skills. 

johnnydmad - Randomizes the music, pulled from certain categories of similar music. Battle music, sad music, boss music, etc. The other version of this code randomizes music completely. 
Special thanks to Cecil and all the helpful people on the BC Discord for knowing basically everything about this randomizer and tolerating my constant stream of questions.

Feel free to ask questions about any aspect of this randomizer and I look forward to having fun with you.

UPDATE: GreenKnight on the Discord has been working on a GUI for the randomizer, and has provided THIS LINK to it.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Mar 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

UPDATES
World of Balance

World of Ruin

MINI UPDATES AND MISC.

Get your Espers list here!

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Apr 11, 2020

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

We begin with the slow walk to Narshe, the opening credits replaced with the randomizer credits, as well as new music!

Chrono Cross - Life is the track for this walk.

Our first glimpse at the party. A nice teal paintjob on the Magitek armor, some big purple hair and..dogs?

It can be hard to tell who a sprite is supposed to be, especially when they're shoved into a giant walking suit of magic. Maybe the menu screen can shed some light!

PUPPIES! :neckbeard: And Squall from FF8. The original Gestahl sprite kinda looked like a dog to young me, and it seems also to whoever made this sprite. What are our new friends wearing?

Oh my. If anything at this point in the game posed a threat, those relics could really save my bacon. Or they could have random attributes that gently caress me over, :iiam:. Since we can't unequip Biggs or Wedge, let's get ????? naked and see what they bring to the table.

These are VERY nice rolls for Speed and Magic Power, generally the two most important stats. Many commands will rely on the Magic Power stat, and starting at 45 is great. Fight/Item are fine, Mimic has uses, and Dance will either be amazing or terrible.

You can see here the extra information granted by the ROM I'm using; the MithrilBlade displays all the properties it has. The game has been edited so all (or nearly all) weapons can be used with SwdTech, Runic, and the Gauntlet relic. This is to prevent you from getting a character with one of those commands but not being able to equip any weapons that enable them.

Items in the randomizer are kept to a certain range of power, comparable to the item you would normally get at that point. There is a code that can disable this, meaning you would get any item available in the game at any time. This includes things like getting an Illumina on your starting character, or a boss in the final dungeon dropping a Leather Hat.

The only real stand out here is the Buckler. It gives the wearer poison immunity, decent defense, and a real cool +10 to Evade. If you're familiar with the base game, you would know that the Evade stat does nothing due to a bug. All evasion is instead calculated based on your Magic Block stat. The randomizer fixes this bug, so that +10 Evade is great to have.

A quick glance at the Dances on the Skill page; I can check the generated text file to see what the dances are but it's more fun to find out as we learn them.

Normally, there would be NPCs walking on screen to yell at me. The "notawaiter" code just removes them entirely, beginning a battle on this step. I'll keep mentions of this to a minimum as there isn't much to talk about, just know that it tremendously speeds up the beginning of the game.

Our first battle, and the sprites aren't that big of a change. The original guards here are just a different guard sprite, and random chance gave us this guard sprite instead.

Chrono Trigger - Battle - Our standard battle theme replacement.

code:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pyl Dic (Level 5)
/--------------------------------\
| HP: 35 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   30 |
| MP:  0 | DEF:   56 | HIT:  103 |
| XP: 25 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 29 | MDEF: 146 | MBLK:   0 |
\--------------------------------/
WEAK: fire
IMMUNE: slow
AUTO: regen
OTHER: ambusher, difficult to run, humanoid
SPECIAL "ToxicSight": attack x1.5
RAGE: Kirin, Battle
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Battle, ToxicSight
STEAL: Eyedrop, Tonic
DROPS: Echo Screen
MORPH (6%): Cards, Dragon Claw, Mirage Vest, Ogre Nix
Their stats aren't anything special, pretty comparable to the original fight here. Random weaknesses, immunity, automatic buffs, etc. Ambusher means that you'll always get a Back or Pincer attack if that enemy is in the battle, unless the particular formation doesn't allow it for some reason, like this one. Difficult to run is exactly that, and Humanoid is for certain things like the Man Eater that does double damage to Humanoids. Rage/Control/Steal all refer to the commands, and Morph is what happens when you use the Ragnarok Esper to change the enemy into an item. The 6% here is the odds of it working at all, then the item you get is an equally random chance from those four items. Locations are a little weird to follow sometimes but this particular enemy will appear in a treasure chest at some point.

Our Magitek commands. Fire/Bolt/Ice Beam aren't randomized, and the fourth slot is random but with a bigger chance of Heal Force appearing. Biggs and Wedge will always have Exploder, as a failsafe in case you encounter an enemy that absorbs all elements. It looks like one of our guards has a gambling problem too.

code:
Launcher - Uses eight missiles on random targets. Each time a target is hit, their HP is halved. Its Hit Rate is 100, and it fails on targets immune to Death. It ignores defense and Split Damage. It is affected by the Silence status.

Missile - Reduces one target's HP to 3/4 of its current total and inflicts Seizure. Its Hit Rate is 126, but it misses on targets immune to Death. It is affected by the Silence status.

Shrapnel - Deals non-elemental magic damage to one or all targets. Its Spell Power is 120 and its Hit Rate is 120. It is affected by the Silence status.

Shrapnel spins some blades around the enemy and does pretty heavy damage for this point of the game. For reference, the Beams have a Spell Power of 60 compared to Shrapnel's 120.

We also learn our first dance! We'll look at that in a future update.

The second battle in the intro, definitely different from the normal beast sprites but still in the guard theme.

code:
Javai Thu (Level 5)
| HP: 35 | ATK:   19 | SPD:   37 |
| MP:  0 | DEF:   94 | HIT:  102 |
| XP: 23 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 30 | MDEF: 124 | MBLK:   0 |
WEAK: bio
IMMUNE: Nothing
OTHER: humanoid
SPECIAL "Arrows": attack x1.5
RAGE: Kitty, Arrows
CONTROL: Arrows, Arrows, Arrows, Battle
STEAL: Leather Hat, Shuriken
DROPS:
MORPH (50%): Blizzard, FakeMustache, Falchion, Sniper
Much like the previous fight, these guys don't bring much. They have no special skills and so will only ever use Fight and "Arrows" which is just Fight with extra damage.

New monsters!

code:
Coex Ana (Level 1)
/---------------------------------\
| HP: 116 | ATK:  111 | SPD:   25 |
| MP:  30 | DEF:   75 | HIT:  102 |
| XP:  46 | MPOW:   0 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  96 | MDEF: 160 | MBLK:   0 |
\---------------------------------/
IMMUNE: sleep
OTHER: can't escape, undead
SPECIAL "LethalHigh": sleep
RAGE: Battle, LethalHigh
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Battle, LethalHigh
STEAL: Inviz Edge, Echo Screen
DROPS: Inviz Edge
MORPH (6%): Atma Weapon, Fairy Ring, Ice Shld, Thunder Rod
Obnoxious monsters, at that. You cannot run while they're alive, and their special attack will put you to sleep.

Moving into the cave, we find a scorpion (the Nautee) and uh.. mouse (Asce) living in harmony.

code:
Nautee (Level 4)
| HP: 24 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   32 |
| MP:  0 | DEF:  100 | HIT:  103 |
| XP: 22 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 31 | MDEF: 153 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: fire, ice, wind;  WEAK: bio
IMMUNE: blind, sleep
SPECIAL "InvizLight": damage + vanish
RAGE: Battle, InvizLight
CONTROL: Battle, InvizLight, InvizLight, InvizLight
STEAL: Tonic, Leather Hat
DROPS: Echo Screen, Shuriken
MORPH (3%): Air Anchor, Charm Bangle, Dice, Tack Star

Asce (Level 5)
| HP: 15 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   30 |
| MP:  0 | DEF:   96 | HIT:  105 |
| XP: 23 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 19 | MDEF: 152 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bolt, wind;  WEAK: fire, pearl
IMMUNE: haste
AUTO: morph
SPECIAL "Cold Rib": damage + hp drain
RAGE: Battle, Cold Rib
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Cold Rib, Cold Rib
STEAL: Plumed Hat, Shuriken
DROPS: LeatherArmor
MORPH (75%): BehemothSuit, Blizzard, Chain Saw, Marvel Shoes
While very low on hitpoints, they have some neat abilities. Nautee's special will hit you, then turn you invisible, rendering you invincible to any further physical attacks. Asce is immune to the Haste status, if somehow it were cast on it.

The Big Bad Babby's First Boss is here and absolutely rocking that pink shell.

Xenogears - Knight of Fire Our new normal boss fight music.

code:
Head (Level 6)
/----------------------------------\
| HP: 1698 | ATK:   23 | SPD:   48 |
| MP: 1070 | DEF:  102 | HIT:  100 |
| XP:    0 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:    0 | MDEF: 160 | MBLK:   0 |
\----------------------------------/
VULNERABLE: float, haste, shell, slow, stop
OTHER: can't escape
SPECIAL "Clean": slow
STEAL: Inviz Edge
DROPS: Inviz Edge, Inviz Edge
Whelk (Level 4)
/-----------------------------------\
| HP: 53678 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   26 |
| MP:   127 | DEF:  105 | HIT:  103 |
| XP:     0 | MPOW:   5 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:     0 | MDEF: 159 | MBLK:   0 |
\-----------------------------------/
NULLIFY: fire, bio, earth
VULNERABLE: haste, protect
AUTO: near death
OTHER: can't escape
SPECIAL "PoundSlide": attack x4
SKILLS: Sour Mouth
LORE: Sour Mouth
STEAL: Gold Shld
DROPS: White Dress, White Dress
Why no, those names aren't confusing at all. Head is the actual head, and Whelk is the shell.

The hitpoints are close to the originals; you can kill the shell in the original game if you're patient enough. Nothing too bad on the head. Slow is annoying but it's an easy fight anyway. The shell doesn't actually attack normally, only if you hit it with something that does damage. Healing and nullified damage don't provoke an attack back. I didn't actually attack the shell to find out if it would cast Sour Mouth in response but that is likely the case.

Watch the full fight here.

It doesn't take long.

After talking to the Esper, we mysteriously wake up in a bed. Can we remember our name?

Hello Saber. It's nice to meet you! What an adventure we're going to have.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Mar 30, 2019

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dance is okay, mimic is kind of a dud IMO. Hopefully you'll get luckier with other party members.

Did they fix the balance here? Last time I tried BC I ran into encounters that I had to Gil Toss my way through cause otherwise they OHKO'd me.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Dance is okay, mimic is kind of a dud IMO. Hopefully you'll get luckier with other party members.

Did they fix the balance here? Last time I tried BC I ran into encounters that I had to Gil Toss my way through cause otherwise they OHKO'd me.

With this kind of randomizer, there's no real way to account for that randomness. They mitigate it a little bit in the intro by giving you an out in Exploder but otherwise things will be random. As far as Mimic goes, you can Mimic a heavy damage command for free, and for a reason that I'll talk about later, Saber having Mimic becomes a little important.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Man, it's been two years? I could go for another extremely silly run through of FF6, so your run of the new and improved Beyond Chaos has some perfect timing.

I had no idea this was a thing, so I picked it up from that github link. I'm a little too busy with some recent releases to run a seed myself, but I'll definitely watch the thread. Looks great so far!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I'm looking forward to this. Hope it doesn't die at Kefka at Narshe like the last did (Forgot to vote for a party as did everyone else and the OP gave in).

In the event you require votes, I vote everything is SABER

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

I'm looking forward to this. Hope it doesn't die at Kefka at Narshe like the last did (Forgot to vote for a party as did everyone else and the OP gave in).

In the event you require votes, I vote everything is SABER

:shepicide: I won't be doing any voting for this run through, so hopefully there won't be issues like that.

I already recorded the entire run. This may bite me in the rear end anyway.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - Shrine of Light - This plays when you wake up and until you get to Locke.

Saber takes in her surroundings, and makes a beeline for Arvis' clock. Everyone loves clocks right?

Remember how I said items are usually about as powerful as the item would be in the normal game? Clocks in the base game have Elixirs, so clocks can lead to all sorts of things, like this helmet that normally comes from the final dungeon. This comes with a price; clocks can ALSO have a Monster-in-a-box and they will usually be waaaaaay stronger than you can handle at the time. Lots of permadeath runs have ended right here and now with this clock.

Arvis normally gives you an item before you leave his house. In vanilla I think it's two Sleeping Bags. Instead, I got a vanilla Barrier Ring. Nothing special but helpful. The Coronet has its normal stats with a tad higher Defense/Magic Defense.

I also picked up a Shuriken at some point. Shurikens, Ninja Stars, and Tack Stars can all be equipped by anyone that rolls that particular weapon group. I think they're individually pieced out, as I've had characters that can equip the Shuriken but not the Tack Star and vice versa. This Shuriken is over twice the damage of the MithrilBlade I have but that -10 Evade hurts; it's just as well that Saber can't use it.

Now we come to the dances. The randomized names are a recent addition and I think they're a neat touch! Dances in FF6 are a combination of the Dance moves from FF5 and a Berzerker. You choose which Dance you want from the menu; if the battleground you're on matches the Dance you choose (city, plains, snow, etc.) then the Dance will go off. Otherwise, you have a 50% chance to stumble and nothing happens. When the Dance does go off, the background changes (if applicable) and you perform one of the four moves listed. They're not equal odds though. For Town Mazurka, Aurabolt has a 7 in 16 chance of happening, Wild Fang has 6 in 16, Land Slide has 2 in 16, and Wind Slash is a 1 in 16 chance. All the Dances follow this same format. A Dancer will continue Dancing on their turn until the battle is over, or they are incapacitated in some way, be it death, petrification, Sneeze, whatever.

code:
Aurabolt - Holy-elemental damage to one opponent. Spell Power is 68.
Wild Fang - Wild Fang is the ability of Interceptor, which deals non-elemental magical damage to one target with a Spell Power of 66 that ignores Defense.
Land Slide - Deals non-elemental magic damage to one opponent. Its Spell Power is 65, it is unblockable and it ignores defense.
Wind Slash - Deals wind-elemental damage to all opponents. Its Spell Power is 48, it is unblockable and it ignores Split Damage.

Elf Fire - Deals fire-elemental damage to one opponent. Its Spell Power is 72 and it is unblockable.
Sonic Boom - Reduces one enemy's HP by 5/8 of its max HP, inflicts Seizure and is unblockable, but fails on targets immune to Death.
Harvester - Recovers from Blind, Poison, Petrify, Silence, Confuse, Seizure, Sleep, Slow, and Stop.
Flare Star - Deals an amount of damage to all targets equal to the level of one random target times 80 divided by the number of targets. It is Fire-elemental, unblockable, ignores defense and Split Damage. It is affected by the Silence status.
Town Mazurka is nearly useless as a dance. The individual abilities are OK but Land Slide and Wind Slash being a low chance really hurts the dance overall. Cavern Jig is better; Flare Star is an amazing ability but being stuck at a 1 in 16 chance means you can't rely on it at all. Harvester is a good multi-heal but you absolutely cannot rely on it. I will rarely, if ever, use these dances.

https://i.imgur.com/VtYIADl.gifv

Flare Star sure looks nice, though!

Speaking of, we find our first new monster in the Narshe cave, the Oscaged.

code:
Oscaged (Level 5)
/--------------------------------
| HP: 41 | ATK:   16 | SPD:   31 |
| MP: 15 | DEF:  102 | HIT:  108 |
| XP: 59 | MPOW:   6 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 44 | MDEF: 145 | MBLK:   0 |
--------------------------------/
NULLIFY: wind;  WEAK: earth
IMMUNE: berserk, blind, imp, mute, petrify, poison, sleep, zombie
SPECIAL "Lethal": attack x1.5
RAGE: Harvester, Battle
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Battle, Lethal
STEAL: Leather Hat, Shuriken
DROPS: Shuriken
MORPH (3%): Crystal Helm, Dark Hood, Gauntlet, Red Jacket
Besides the slew of immunities and decent Magic Defense, nothing to write home about.

Cutscenes! :siren:

Seiken Densetsu 3 - High Tension Wire - Locke's new theme is very cool.

Instead, we meet our Locke replacement. He looks like Minwu from FF2 and is even more useful.

He commands the respect of radioactive monkeys, for one. Say hello to our Moogle replacements, some monkeys hailing from the Legend of Zelda series. The reason they have character names is explained in Elephantgun's fantastic Let's Break Final Fantasy 6 LP. The basic explanation is that these Moogles take the place of future characters, and are overwritten when you reach the naming screen for that character. This means we can get a sneak peak at what future characters will have for stats and commands but we're not doing that. Gotta leave in some suspense, ya know? As it turns out, the moogles don't indicate what you'll get in the future. They can have any of the basic skills (Blitz, Throw, Morph, etc.) in addition to stuff that Terra, Locke, and Mog have.

Now we get a deeper drink of the battle randomizer water. Due to character limitations, names sometimes come out weird and it's a guessing game what the command actually is until you use it. I'll spoiler that second command if you want to try and guess it yourself!

Flash + Pearl. WuFei will cast Flash on a creature (or everything if you multi-target) then cast Pearl on the initial target. If the Flash kills the target of Pearl, Pearl won't even go off and the creature will die.

R-Pearl will use a random holy-elemental skill, with some varying chance.

code:
(2/8 chance each)  Alexandr, AuraBolt, Scar Beam
(1/8 chance each)  L.? Pearl, Pearl

Alexandr - Deals Holy-elemental damage to all enemies, it has a Spell Power of 114.
AuraBolt - Holy-elemental damage to one opponent. Spell Power is 68.
Scar Beam - Deals Holy-elemental damage to all targets, it has a Spell Power of 28, ignores split damage and it's unblockable. It is vulnerable to Runic and affected by the Silence status.
L.? Pearl - Deals Holy-elemental damage on all enemies with a level that is a multiple of last digit of the party's current gil.
Pearl - Powerful holy-elemental attack with a Spell Power of 108 and Hit Rate of 150.
https://i.imgur.com/sUhmQH8.gifv

Scar Beam looks cool, unfortunately it's not very powerful. Flash does much better.

Some kind of bug or funky programming within the game causes Flash to do this instead of the same Flash from Edgar's Tools. :iiam:

Much like Biggs and Wedge, the items the moogkies are using have no bearing on the rest of the game, they're just arbitrarily random, save one thing. Whatever Kamog has equipped is what you will start equipped with in the World of Ruin.

WuFei has something new though.

5 lower defense and 5 higher magic defense compared to vanilla.

I also stole a couple new items from Mog, who you CAN unequip. The Plumed Hat is slightly worse than vanilla, while the MithrilKnife has a juicy +10% Magic Block.

Something that KUMAMA has equipped is giving her auto-sleep status. It's broken by any physical attack but she will start every fight with it. See if you can guess which item has it! I certainly won't remember by the time I get those items.

Did someone order a huge gently caress-off robot named Alexandr?

Final Fantasy IV: Restless Moments (Unreleased) - I really like this track, and had never heard it before. You may notice this boss music is different from the Whelk fight; I'm not sure of the criteria but certain battles have different music.

code:
Ela Hur (Level 12)
/---------------------------------
| HP: 237 | ATK:   12 | SPD:   34 |
| MP: 106 | DEF:  100 | HIT:  122 |
| XP:  25 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 121 | MDEF: 154 | MBLK:   0 |
---------------------------------/
NULLIFY: water;  WEAK: wind, pearl
IMMUNE: poison
SPECIAL "Psycho": attack x2
RAGE: Bolt, Psycho
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Battle, Psycho
STEAL: Shuriken
DROPS: Potion, Green Cherry
MORPH (6%): Crystal Helm, Dark Hood, Gauntlet, Red Jacket
Ela Hur is our Marshal replacement and the only thing that would be threatening is that attack x2, if it didn't have a paltry 12 Attack. I didn't even upload this battle, it was literally just one use of FlaPear and they all died.

*POOF*

Final Fantasy VI - The Day After - This is the town music that plays in the World of Ruin normally.

Outside the city limits, we find a new scorpion. This one has red eyes.

code:
Bikeab (Level 5)
| HP: 35 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   31 |
| MP:  0 | DEF:   61 | HIT:  106 |
| XP: 25 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 36 | MDEF: 144 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: pearl;  WEAK: ice, water
SPECIAL "Bestow": attack x2
RAGE: Tek Laser, Battle
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Bestow, Bestow
DROPS: Leather Hat
MORPH (50%): Atma Weapon, Fairy Ring, Ice Shld, Thunder Rod
:effort:

The new battleground does give us another Dance however.

code:
L? Pearl - Deals Holy-elemental damage on all enemies with a level that is a multiple of last digit of the party's current gil.
Pois. Frog - Deals poison-elemental damage and inflicts Poison on one opponent. Its Spell Power is 56 and it is unblockable.
Air Blade - Wind-elemental damage to all enemies. Spell Power is 78, ignores Split Damage.
Lullaby - Inflicts Sleep to one target. Its Hit Rate is 90 and affected by the Silence status.
We're at 3/3 for lovely dances, folks.

Maybe these new fellas will teach us how to bust a move? Writa is the land octopus, and the slimes are named Tycho after famed Danish astronomer Tycho Brahe.

code:
Writa (Level 7)
/---------------------------------
| HP: 127 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   31 |
| MP:  10 | DEF:  105 | HIT:  108 |
| XP:  56 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  73 | MDEF: 163 | MBLK:   0 |
---------------------------------/
NULLIFY: bio;  WEAK: water
SPECIAL "Assassin R": poison
RAGE: Battle, Assassin R
CONTROL: Assassin R, Assassin R, Battle, Battle
STEAL: Inviz Edge, Cotton Robe
MORPH (25%): Chocobo Suit, Crystal Orb, Sneak Ring, SwordBreaker

Tycho Taiy (Level 6)
| HP: 90 | ATK:   21 | SPD:   31 |
| MP: 15 | DEF:   81 | HIT:  103 |
| XP: 27 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 55 | MDEF: 140 | MBLK:   0 |
WEAK: ice, earth
AUTO: poison, protect
SPECIAL "Ghost Octo": seizure
RAGE: Battle, Ghost Octo
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Ghost Octo, Ghost Octo
STEAL: Antidote, Shuriken
DROPS:
MORPH (50%): Air Anchor, Cure Ring, Mithril Shld, Tao Robe
Ghost Octo is a great name.

:allears: NOW we're talking!

code:
Sun Bath - Restores HP to all allies. Its Spell Power is 50.
Snowball - Reduces a target's HP by 1/2. Its Hit Rate is 100, and it will fail on targets immune to Death.
Antlion - Causes Death to one opponent. Its Hit Rate is 100 and will fail on targets immune to Death.
Acid Rain - Deals Poison/Water dual-elemental damage and inflicts Seizure to all targets. Damage is inverted on Undead targets. Its Spell Power is 25 and its Hit Rate is 100. It ignores Split Damage and is affected by the Silence status.
Sun Bath restores a ton of HP at this level. The other abilities are pretty worthless here but Sun Bath is amazing.

code:
Exciti (Level 5)
| HP: 28 | ATK:   21 | SPD:   37 |
| MP:  5 | DEF:   82 | HIT:  105 |
| XP: 24 | MPOW:   3 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 31 | MDEF: 121 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bio, pearl;  WEAK: wind
IMMUNE: imp
SPECIAL "Giga Tomb": attack x1.5
RAGE: Rasp, Giga Tomb
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Giga Tomb, Giga Tomb
STEAL: Echo Screen, Shuriken
MORPH (99%): BehemothSuit, Blizzard, Chain Saw, Marvel Shoes
Eventually the enemies get some more meat to them. We're still replacing the initial easy enemies.

They do provide our final dance for a bit!

code:
Aqua Rake - Deals Water and Wind-elemental damage on all enemies. Its Spell Power is 71 and Hit Rate is 150.
Tapir - Recovers from Blind, Zombie, Poison, Imp, Petrify, Doom, Silence, Berserk, Confuse, Seizure, Sleep, Slow, and Stop. Targets afflicted with Sleep will have their HP and MP fully restored, even if the target is undead.
Stunner - Deals non-elemental magic damage and inflicts Stop on all opponents. It has a Spell Power of 97, is unblockable, and ignores Split Damage. The Stop ailment has a Hit Rate of 140.
Kitty - Grants Haste status on all targets.
Stunner appears blank due to a quirk of the game's programming. I believe it's related to the fact that you can rename Cyan's SwdTech abilities in the Japanese game. Something to do with that interferes with the ROM displaying SwdTech in the Dance menu. Programming is weird. Anyway, Aqua Rake is a strong all-target spell and while Tapir is good, not being able to target or control it makes it very niche. Stunner is good but it has a 2 in 16 chance, and Kitty would have little impact even if it wasn't a 1 in 16 chance.

With all that information out of the way, next time we visit the castle of a lecherous King and learn about his spoony brother.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 30, 2019

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I would suggest choosing either sap or seizure and keeping it consistent, probably go with seizure since that's the in-game name even if sap is the status in everything else.

Also could you identify who is who when more than one new enemy shows up?

Other than that, good stuff.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

FeyerbrandX posted:

I would suggest choosing either sap or seizure and keeping it consistent, probably go with seizure since that's the in-game name even if sap is the status in everything else.

Also could you identify who is who when more than one new enemy shows up?

Other than that, good stuff.

That's the problem with using a wiki that has updated translation names in conjunction with an older translation game :v: I'll try to pay attention to that in the future.

As for the enemies, I'll do what I can. There's no indication in the game or text file for which sprite is which so I have to go by context clues like attacks and which name disappears after death.

Demerine
Oct 10, 2007

So far, so good! It's always fun to see a BC playthrough in all its many forms.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Final Fantasy V: Main Theme - FF5 is a good game and has a good theme. Edgar's theme is very regal and fitting for him; it's still a nice change of pace.

Hello friends! Last we saw our heroes, they had finished up a Desert Dance Off and were headed to the castle of some king that WuFei claims to know. Before we meet the king, however, we gotta loot the place.

We're not off to a good start.

This is a really good selection. Since stores are randomized you are never guaranteed to be able to buy Tonics or Potions at any given shop. Having an easy source of them this early is great. Cheap tools are also cool though I don't pick any up at this point. Cheap Warp Stones are helpful, in case you get stuck in a real lovely battle that is hard to run from. They mimic the Warp spell, which may not even show up on any of my Espers. I sold some stuff and bought some stuff, actually ending up in the positive.

This guy on the right is a grifter. Double price on two items, expensive throwables, and a Tool I won't be buying yet if at all.

:ohdear: Our first Monster-in-a-box. This could be dire.

Or not. Clearly the Narshe guards are onto our plot and sent an ambush ahead. Shame they didn't send their best.

The other chest is more cooperative but still not useful. The Blind status is fixed with the randomizer so having some cool sunglasses does have a negative. Free items are free, I suppose.

Ashuras are one of the most common drops I've seen in this game. I don't know how the game rates them but I always find several in chests all over the game; I'm pretty sure liquidypoo found his fair share as well. This one isn't even changed, it's exactly the same as the one Cyan starts with in vanilla.

My, what big ears you have, my liege. Who is this blue-haired and wing-eared king?

Why, it's Lenneth from Valkyrie Profile. Or Ranma from the anime series with cold water thrown on them.

I had to Wikipedia that, don't loving @ me.

Surely this King isn't the last of their family? Who will take over the country if Ranma kicks the bucket?

A blind spoony bard, of course. We'll learn more about them in the future. Maybe they'll even give us a performance!

We wave hello to this nice Chancellor and his wonderful blue overcoat on our way back to the king. We need to find out what Ranma is made of.

Ranma is lookin' pretty swole! GP Rain is a Get Out Of Jail Free card usually; I'll also never say no to a Magic command. 3xWater will be very good for clearing out stuff weak to water. Having two magic commands backed up by a good Magic Power stat matched with good speed is wonderful news.

code:
(3/8 chance each)  Bismark, CleanSweep
(1/8 chance each)  El Nino, Water Edge

Bismark - Deals Water-elemental damage to all enemies, it has a Spell Power of 58.
CleanSweep - Deals Water-elemental damage to all targets. It is affected by the Silence status and has a Spell Power of 50. Strago may learn this attack as a Lore.
El Nino - Deals water-elemental damage to all opponents. Its Spell Power is 61, it is unblockable, and it ignores Split Damage.
Water Edge - Water-elemental attack on all enemies. Does magic damage, it has a Spell Power of 100.

Iron Armor has two extra Magic Defense and the Flail has an extra two attack. The Heavy Shield gives us our first rogue effect! Super Jump is the effect you get from a Dragon Horn in vanilla. Instead of jumping once you have a chance to jump up to three extra times immediately at 75%, 18.75%, and 6.25% chance for each jump. Its a nice effect to have if you need to use Jump for offense. I rarely do so, unless that character has no other offensive options.

Moving on gives us a look at our main antagonist. It seems that Chupon, from another dimension, has taken over Kefka's position in the Empire. We're currently looking at his rear end.

He doesn't look any better from the front :gonk:

In a flash of darkness and with the speed of Hermes, we arrive at the next day. Everything is terrible.

Final Fantasy IV: Restless Moments (Unreleased) - I'm linking this again because it's so good.
Secret of Mana: The Little Sprite I don't think I've shown off our fanfare music yet.

I'm so very confused how the dogs were riding these. Are they inside? Were the dogs really alien monstrosities the whole time?

code:
Giveng (Level 8)
| HP: 221 | ATK:   19 | SPD:   29 |
| MP: 266 | DEF:   32 | HIT:  114 |
| XP:   0 | MPOW:   3 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:   0 | MDEF: 135 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: earth, water;  WEAK: bolt
IMMUNE: condemned, death, imp, magitek, petrify, poison, seizure, zombie
AUTO: protect
SPECIAL "OmegaSleep": petrify
RAGE: Battle, OmegaSleep
CONTROL: Battle, OmegaSleep, OmegaSleep, OmegaSleep
STEAL: LeatherArmor, Eyedrop
DROPS: Plumed Hat
I didn't check their data entry before doing the fight, see if you can guess the first thing I tried. Otherwise, "Can't Escape" and a Petrify special are bad news. Luckily, I already have some decent power.

Whatever, let's drown these motherfuckers.

Oh.

Not even this glorious golden whale was any help. It would be better used pulling an Aquaman from Marvel Vs. DC.

Instead, a couple Flashes and a Pearl take care of the whole shebang. While waiting on the animations I discovered something about Ranma that I didn't check before.

They're a Natural Magic user! Natural Magic is the term given to Celes and Terra in the vanilla game. There, they would learn spells at certain level ups. Terra gets Ultima at 99 and Celes learns Meteor at 98, and a whole mess of various other spells at different levels.

Ranma currently knows W Wind and Safe. Safe raises a characters physical defense, cutting physical attack damage by 1/3. W Wind reduces the entire battlefield's HP by 15/16, ignoring Runic and Reflect. W Wind also won't work on anything that is immune to the Death status. Overall, W Wind is pretty useless. If it only targetted enemies it might have a niche use.

The chocobos are a nice green color. Unfortunately the game plays the same music from when Saber woke up; we don't get new Chocobo music yet. The caves themselves do have a new song.

Final Fantasy IV: Illusionary World A nice relaxing theme from the Summon World in FFIV.

*SHIIIINNNNG*

New monsters! Some sort of pants wearing Na'vi maybe.

code:
Encrut (Level 11)
| HP: 174 | ATK:   15 | SPD:   27 |
| MP:  12 | DEF:   85 | HIT:  120 |
| XP: 156 | MPOW:  11 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  83 | MDEF: 153 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: pearl, water
AUTO: interceptor, near death
SPECIAL "Drive Rock": attack x3
RAGE: Slow, Drive Rock
CONTROL: Battle, Drive Rock, Slow, Slow
STEAL: Echo Screen, Eyedrop
DROPS:
MORPH (75%): Air Anchor, Charm Bangle, Dice, Tack Star

They absorb Water and nullify Pearl, my main two damage dealers at the moment. Attack x3 is starting to get dangerous but their low level combined with only having 15 ATK means they're doing about 15 damage to a character in the back row. Flash and Fight do enough to put them down.

https://i.imgur.com/Ygk4v5z.gifv

STOP SWOONING! :argh:

code:
Cuisli (Level 9)
| HP: 148 | ATK:   15 | SPD:   39 |
| MP: 112 | DEF:  104 | HIT:  118 |
| XP:  64 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  85 | MDEF:  73 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bolt, wind
IMMUNE: poison
AUTO: berserk
SPECIAL "NumbBlades": near death
RAGE: Battle, NumbBlades
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, NumbBlades, NumbBlades
STEAL: Kaiser
DROPS: Imperial
MORPH (25%): Air Anchor, Cure Ring, Mithril Shld, Tao Robe
Now here is something cool. "Near Death" is a status effect, normally applied when a character is reduced to less than 1/8 of their max health. This enables a few things: Desperation Attacks, the True Knight Relic, ValiantKnife and Atma Weapon. Some spells and commands will put characters into Near Death by reducing their HP exactly. There is also a bug with the Rippler Lore that can exchange an enemy's Near Death status with the user of the Lore.

The Cuisli's special attack, "NumbBlades" will put their target directly into Near Death status without reducing their hit points. This enables all the normal things that would happen at low HP, notably the Desperation Attacks. Speaking of, Desperation Attacks are based off the original character. Saber will have Terra's DA, WuFei will have Locke's, etc. Umaro and Gau don't have Desperation Attacks and so neither will their replacement.

Final Fantasy VIII: Fisherman's Horizon - Cool Ghost did a great LP of FFVIII located HERE. He put a ton of effort in; the whole thing is a wonderful read.

Duncan doesn't have anything special in his bucket.

Our last new monster for this update, using the same sprite as a typical enemy you'd find outside South Figaro.

code:
Peopli (Level 8)
| HP: 140 | ATK:   16 | SPD:   36 |
| MP: 103 | DEF:  104 | HIT:  112 |
| XP:  64 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 249 | MDEF: 154 | MBLK:   0 |
WEAK: bio, earth, water
AUTO: interceptor, morph
SPECIAL "RemedyKama": condemned
RAGE: Battle, RemedyKama
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Battle, RemedyKama
STEAL: Green Cherry, Shuriken
DROPS:
MORPH (3%): Blizzard Orb, Mithril Vest, Ogre Nix, Red Cap
These fellas and the Encrut above have Interceptor status. Interceptor is Shadow's dog, who will sometimes counter attack things for you. Unfortunately Interceptor on a monster and from using a Rage that gives the status does nothing. No doggies for them.

Morph is Terra's signature ability; it's not fully understood within the game but it seems to at least partially affect monsters. Morph will normally double damage and halve any magical damage taken. When an enemy takes "tick" damage in this game, such as the HP damage from Seizure, the attack actually originates from that enemy. A creature that has the Morph status and Seizure will take double the normal Seizure damage.

Ah, I can smell the Cafe's speciality tea from here!

And that's the update for today, friends. Next time we'll explore the town and maybe even make it through Mt. Koltz!

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 30, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This is looking pretty sweet so far. Gonna have to give this a try later!

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I hope you get rippler, I want to see if it's possible to give people dog stauts instead of vanilla's risk of losing it.

You got someone with mimic, so I think it is possible to get it on at least 2, maybe more if you get a helpful enemy with rippler to transfer dogs

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

FeyerbrandX posted:

I hope you get rippler, I want to see if it's possible to give people dog stauts instead of vanilla's risk of losing it.

You got someone with mimic, so I think it is possible to get it on at least 2, maybe more if you get a helpful enemy with rippler to transfer dogs

I think I remember trying to do this back during the romhack thread and it didn't work for some reason.

But who knows, maybe something's changed about the current version of the randomizer to make it possible now.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm waiting to hear back from people that know more than me; I'm going to assume it won't do anything since Interceptor status from a rage or on a monster does nothing. I did learn that Relm gets the status if you left Shadow to die on the Floating Continent. The wiki lied to me.

I'll do some testing later.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 26, 2019

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That said, if it did work, you could pass dogs around your party by confusing the rippler caster before the spell goes off to get around the "targets enemies only" issue. No need to find an enemy with rippler!

...Unless you somehow end up with no way to inflict confusion. Which is... possible, I guess.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I always thought this was a long-haired dude diving across the screen, but in my defense I didn't summon espers much as a kid.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

oldskool posted:

I always thought this was a long-haired dude diving across the screen, but in my defense I didn't summon espers much as a kid.

Six was my first FF and first RPG overall. Imagine my surprise when I learned the other games let you summon as much as you wanted in a battle. It's a shame too, as the artwork in this game is amazing.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Do the shops have different items depending on who your leader is? I remember that was a thing.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

SSNeoman posted:

Do the shops have different items depending on who your leader is? I remember that was a thing.

I don't think different items is a thing but some shopkeepers will give discounts to female characters (Terra, Celes, Relm). Vanilla also gave a discount to Edgar within his castle, not sure if that also appears.

EDIT:
I did some testing with a seed that's in the WoR. I found an enemy with Rippler and let them use it on my Shadow. Then my Lore user cast Rippler on that enemy, and the Lore user gained Interceptor!

However, casting Rippler on an enemy that has Interceptor status did nothing at all. The Lore user never once had Interceptor take a hit in around a hundred hits.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 26, 2019

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Ashuras are one of the most common drops I've seen in this game. I don't know how the game rates them but I always find several in chests all over the game; I'm pretty sure liquidypoo found his fair share as well. This one isn't even changed, it's exactly the same as the one Cyan starts with in vanilla.

I think I sold most of them for a piddling amount. Unrelated, but I heard about a new restaurant in South Figaro, called Katana Barrel, apparently. :v:

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Oh hey, I had no idea a new version of the randomizer was out! I'll have to give it a try for myself.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Just gave it a try, and I'm impressed so far. My party already feels overpowered, though I still had trouble with Vargas despite that. I've just had an interesting curveball thrown my way, so I'm excited/scared to see how it plays out.

Looking forward to more of the LP!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'm almost done with the next update, might drop tomorrow or Friday. If the thread happens to end up on the next page before then that would be great, otherwise I hope everyone likes four updates and an OP on the same page! :v:

Mega64 posted:

Just gave it a try, and I'm impressed so far. My party already feels overpowered, though I still had trouble with Vargas despite that. I've just had an interesting curveball thrown my way, so I'm excited/scared to see how it plays out.

Looking forward to more of the LP!

Mind sharing what you've gotten so far? I love hearing all the stuff people roll. I once had a Dance with Goner (one of Final Kefka's attacks) on the first slot. Pretty sure I died to something stupid during that permadeath run.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 28, 2019

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I looked at what music can be randomizes in and there are some good surprises in that list.

I've never finished FF6 vanilla, though, so while this'll be nice to watch it is not for me to play right now I think...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm almost done with the next update, might drop tomorrow or Friday. If the thread happens to end up on the next page before then that would be great, otherwise I hope everyone likes four updates and an OP on the same page! :v:

Mind sharing what you've gotten so far? I love hearing all the stuff people roll. I once had a Dance with Goner (one of Final Kefka's attacks) on the first slot. Pretty sure I died to something stupid during that permadeath run.

Terra: Yuffie with Rage and Magic, though I have gear that changes Magic to Steal
Locke: Sephiroth with Blitz, X Magic, and ViriRou (Virite + Roulette, and Roulette always hit the target, so it's instant death to anything not immune to it)
Edgar: Bowser with Morph and Control
Sabin: DK Cecil is a Berserker who spams GP Rain. I...don't know how I feel about that.

I pretty much used the same flags you did, but added a couple more secret words (mainly the one that shuffles music everywhere, the one that adds natural magic, and the one that adds more random effects on gear). My strats until now has been to Steal things while locking enemies up with Control while Rouletting everything to death. Vargas was tough at first, but then I broke out a Rage where the common attack was Blowfish.

My favorite moment so far though was waking up in Figaro castle to Bowser witnessing his castle had been set on fire by Tellah while the triumph theme from FF3 plays. Tellah was doing the king a favor!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:allears:

I like the natural magic code, it half defeats the point of the dancingmaduin code though.

Oh also; the Blizzard Orb's ability is randomized, I think. Might get something good for your Money Zerker.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 16, 2019

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I caved and made a seed with mostly the same flags. Terra became Mario, but was named Hitomi, and had a combo command called LoveQua. I tested it out, thinking I'd be quaking myself to death when it turned out to be Love Token followed by Quadra Slam/Slice. I, uh, didn't even consider the potential of Love Token because I thought using the command would be suicide in the early game, but now I have a way to completely neuter any physical only enemies.

You know what makes this even better? LoveQua isn't Hitomi's standard command. It turns out that the MithrilKnife changes the Magic command into LoveQua, so everybody who can equip a MithrilKnife is capable of charming foes.

I also got a dancer early. Locke turned out to be a tiny Mog sprite named Strong. I want to say the tiny Mog sprite is because it's FF9 Mog, maybe? Anyway, one of my dances has the attack Overcast. It's the rarest attack of the four, but, uh, yikes.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Overcast is broken as poo poo but not one of the banned skills which include Baba Breath. That's the one Phunbaba uses to remove party members. It's banned for being too powerful and could lead to your game soft locking.

I had no idea an item could change Magic into another command. I'm real curious to see if anyone else in your seed will be able to use it

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

If you think changing Magic is weird, then get a load of this:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

liquidypoo posted:

If you think changing Magic is weird, then get a load of this:

That's a very unfortunate skill change!

I've just learned that the Moogles from the intro will always have Item in their 4th slot as they (and all guest characters) cannot get Magic or X-magic. Sometimes, however, you get a Moogle that has something besides Item in the 4th slot. That means they're wearing a rogue item command changer like you have.

Edit: I'll do a little mini-update later with some info about which skills are banned and why, probably in addition to a regular update.

Assuming the pitcher of margarita I'm about to share doesn't do me in.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 29, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I mentioned in an earlier post that some skills are banned. Here's a list of what they are and why. In older versions of the randomizer the Dance command could pull from this list. Currently, only Slots and R-Chaos (literally everything in the game that is a skill can appear) can have abilities from this list. Slots are supposed to be random but there is an exploit you can do to guarantee whichever slot you want. I'm consistently unable to pull it off.

What Do They Do?
50 Gs - Removes Float status from all targets. It is unblockable, but is vulnerable to Runic and affected by the Mute status.
BabaBreath - Ejects a character out of the battle. It is unblockable but fails if there is only one character on the field.
Battle - Physical attack to one target.
Bomblet - Summons four Balloons or one Grenade, it cannot be dodged. Actually does nothing.
Charm - Charm causes a special status ailment that works like Confuse, only there is no visual proof of it, to one target. Its Hit Rate is 80 and affected by the Mute status. The status ailment is unique in that it only dissipates after either the caster or the target has died, and there are no ways to prevent it.
ChokeSmoke - Turns a KO'd target into a Zombie. It is unblockable and affected by the Mute status but Instant Death protection, such as the Memento Ring, stops it.
Clear - Inflicts Blind, Poison, Imp, Doom, Mute, Confuse, Seizure, Sleep, and Stop on the user. It is unblockable and affected by the Mute status. Dummied in game.
Cold Dust - Inflicts Frozen to one target and it's considered an Ice-elemental spell, but it doesn't deal any damage. It is unblockable and affected by the Mute status.
Discard - Discard is an ability used only by the Tentacles. It discards Grabbed characters.
Engulf - Removes character from battle. It is unblockable. If all four characters are Engulfed, they are transported to the Zone Eater's Belly but only if you're on the Overworld.
Escape - Causes the user to escape from battle.
Fallen One - Reduces all target' HP to 1. It is unblockable and affected by the Mute status.
N. Cross - Inflicts Frozen on all targets and its considered an Ice-elemental spell, but it doesn't deal any damage. The ability doesn't remove Invisible status when it fails to inflict Frozen. Its Hit Rate is 90, and it is vulnerable to Runic. It is affected by the Mute status.
Pep Up - Caster is removed from battle, restores a single ally to full HP and MP and cures all status ailments.
Seize - Removes target from battle, and absorbs HP from them for several turns until Discard is used. It is unblockable.
Sneeze - Removes one target from battle. It is unblockable.
Special - N/A
Targetting - Targeting does not do anything. It is only used by Doom to warn the player that it is about to use Demon Rage.
Zinger - Vanishes from battle to possess a character, reappears when the possessed character is either Zombie, Petrify, or KO. It is unblockable.

But WHY Can't I Sneeze Into Kefka's Mouth?

They're Useless
50 Gs - Any creature that has auto Float can't ever lose it so this skill would do nothing.
Battle - Just Fight but for Monsters, and doesn't work properly when used as a command.
Bomblet - Does nothing, even in the fight with FlameEater.
ChokeSmoke - You can't target dead creatures, and turning a monster into a Zombie removes them from the battle anyway.
Clear - This one was never actually implemented in the base game and always only targets the creature casting it. Bad idea.
Pep Up - Removes character from battle, which is terrible.
Seize/Discard - Used by the Tentacles in Figaro Castle, doesn't work on monsters. Discard does nothing.
Special - Just the term used in the Control menu to use a creature's Special Attack, and doesn't work properly when used as a command.
Targetting - Completely useless, even in the fight with Doom.

They're Over Powered
Charm - It's Muddle but nothing is immune to it and it won't end until the target or caster is dead. Nasty.
Engulf - See Sneeze. Used by the Zone Eater to get you into Gogo's dungeon.
Escape - Always works, and lets you escape battles you normally couldn't like Final Kefka.
Fallen One - Having this at will would present no challenge in the game at all. Then again, I once had a seed where Fallen One was the 7/16 skill of a dance.
N. Cross/Cold Dust - Frozen is a crazy good status and no enemy in the game has immunity to it. It lasts twice as long as Stop and the enemy can do nothing at all.
Sneeze - Like Escape but in reverse, the thing Chupon uses before the Floating Continent and in the Coliseum. Won't cause a soft lock, just very powerful. Can crash the game if you Sneeze a SoulSaver, the things accompanying WrexSoul.

They Break The Game But In A Bad Way
BabaBreath - This also belongs in Over Powered but straight removing things from battle can cause all sorts of issues like a soft lock, meaning the game sits there waiting for a prompt that will never come.
Zinger - Doesn't remove a character forever but can still cause soft locks.

If you're the kind of person that doesn't take kindly to being told "No" you can probably go into your Beyond Chaos/tables/spellbans.txt file and change "ban" to "noban".

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 13, 2019

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Final Fantasy VIII: Fisherman's Horizon - This music also played in Duncan's house; it's the World of Balance town music replacement.

Is that a...potato rolling down the street?

No, I must've been imagining it...

Final Fantasy VII - Stolen Materia - This song fits pretty well with the rest of VI's music in my opinion.

Whatever, let's get some of that amazing tea. I hate tea.

:monocle:

THERE'S ANOTHER DOGGO! This must be his chew toy. I didn't even think dogs drank tea.

Wait why are all the characters reacting so strangely? Have they never seen a dog in a cafe before?

My what nice eyes you have...? I think I need to go outside for some fresh air and looting, I'm clearly hallucinating.

In addition to these two items, I also snagged:

Leather Hat
Green Cherry
Antidote
Shuriken x2

I forgot to grab a pic of the Cotton Robe; it has worse defenses and also starts the user in Sleep status. If you guessed that was the item making Kumama fall asleep in the mines, congratulations! You paid more attention than I did! The Chocobo Brsh is Relm's starter weapon and is unchanged from vanilla. The 2-hand effect is even there in case you need to paint a really big frame.

We're also going to rob the rich and probably toss their garbage in the ocean.

Imp Halberds are sometimes useful but often not. This one has a -10 Magic Block so is extra useless. If we're lucky it will sell for a boatload of money.

I also found:
Fenix Down
AutoCrossbow
Iron Armor
Fire Skean
Flash

The basement has an alright relic. You can use it remove Blind and Poison status out of combat by equipping it. You wouldn't want to keep this one equipped as it reduces your Magic Power; the only situation you would is if you were predicting a monster that uses Zombie attacks as you can't change a Zombie's equipment to heal that status.

Someone at this house hasn't been taking care of the plants growing in the basement and they've gone feral.

code:
Rebud Dirk (Level 13)
| HP: 262 | ATK:   12 | SPD:   32 |
| MP:  90 | DEF:  107 | HIT:  115 |
| XP: 134 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 154 | MDEF: 161 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bio;  WEAK: fire, pearl
SPECIAL "NinjaBlitz": stop
SKILLS: Love Token
RAGE: Love Token, Battle
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Love Token, NinjaBlitz
STEAL: Plumed Hat, Eyedrop
DROPS: Buckler
MORPH (99%): Coin Toss, Gauntlet, Regal Crown, RegalCutlass
A special move that inflicts Stop is annoying; thankfully they don't have a ton of hitpoints and I'm able to end the battle quickly. Readers familiar with the intricacies of the Rage system might be looking googly-eyed at that Rage skill. All in good time, readers. Let's barrel our way out and go shopping with our newfound wealth.

I only pick up a Magus Hat and Hair Band for now, as no one can use the other weapons available.

Magus Hat has slightly higher defenses and an extra +1 Vigor which is nothing special but the Hair Band has a bit higher defense and +2 to Speed!

The Item shop has double priced Tonics. In my eternal wisdom, I didn't buy any Tonics at Figaro Castle in the hopes that Sun Bath would carry me through. Here, I buy some Antidotes and Softs because Mt. Kolts can get a little hectic.

The relic shop has some relics I didn't buy due to lack of funds, as I wanted to see what the Mithril Vest had to offer.

It wasn't worth it at all. Less Magic Defense and -1 Stamina, only currently used by Saber. Stamina is pretty useless, at least.

quote:

Stamina determines the character's resistance to Death attacks and how much health is healed from Regen, as well as how much damage the character takes from Poison, Seizure, HP Leak, and how much the character is healed from the Tintinabar.

If you're worried about death attacks (which includes things like Break, W Wind, Demi, etc.) then you're better off getting something with Instant Death protection to just avoid it entirely. The various attacks that leak HP don't do enough damage to worry about and Regen is an OK thing to have instead of something you aim for.

Let's blow this joint.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest - Rock Theme - It's no Techno de Chocobo but still very jaunty and a solid tune for a chocobo ride.

Though our time was short, I will miss you little green friend.

Final Fantasy IV: Tower of Babel - Towers are kinda like mountains if you think about it.

I've always loved Malboro sprites.

code:
Dipsti (Level 11)
| HP: 222 | ATK:   18 | SPD:   33 |
| MP:  59 | DEF:   52 | HIT:  106 |
| XP:   0 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 105 | MDEF: 156 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: ice, pearl
SPECIAL "ButtShield": imp
SKILLS: Demi
RAGE: Demi, ButtShield
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, ButtShield, Demi
STEAL: Antidote, Tonic
DROPS: Shadow Edge
MORPH (6%): Amulet, Enhancer, Magical Brsh, Tack Star
Nothing scary butt their asses are covered.

Who is this crazy bastard standing at the edge of a pretty big drop? And who goes mountain climbing in a jaunty hat?

Whatever, we have new friends to chitchat with.

code:
Cawedept (Level 10)
| HP: 112 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   34 |
| MP:  54 | DEF:  103 | HIT:  110 |
| XP: 116 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 147 | MDEF: 152 | MBLK:   0 |
WEAK: bio
IMMUNE: berserk, sleep
AUTO: float, shell
SPECIAL "Pulse": damage + near death
SKILLS: Virite
RAGE: Virite, Battle
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Pulse, Virite
STEAL: Echo Screen, Leather Hat
DROPS: Shuriken
MORPH (99%): Amulet, Enhancer, Magical Brsh, Tack Star
Entirely average but this fight does let me show off Near Death status a little.

Saber is wearing a Barrier Ring, which gives them Protect status when at Near Death. Saber has plenty of hit points but the enemy attack has put them into Near Death anyway. If I had used Fight and gotten lucky, Saber might have pulled off Terra's Desperation Attack.

This fight on the outside of the mountain is a muse for Saber, teaching them the Rock Conga dance.

code:
Rage - Non-elemental magical damage to all targets. Its Spell Power is 50 and it cannot be dodged.
Specter - Causes Confuse on one opponent. Its Hit Rate is 120, and it fails on targets immune to confusion.
Plasma - Deals lightning-elemental damage to one opponent. Its Spell Power is 70 and it is unblockable.
Whump - Deals non-elemental magic damage to one opponent. Its Spell Power is 53, it is unblockable, and it ignores defense. It will not hit flying targets.
This seed hasn't been particularly kind to the Dance command. The first two abilities aren't that great. Plasma and Whump are really good but they will rarely appear. All four of these abilities are normal Dances from vanilla though they're more spread out there.

Guardian here is almost entirely vanilla, in its vanilla spot. An extra +1 Stamina and 4 less Attack. I've gotten Guardian in this spot a ton of times in previous seeds.

Here's a shot of Sun Bath's heal, restoring almost 3x the amount of max HP everyone has.

This Blossom is a pretty severe downgrade, losing 8 Attack and a whopping -10% Evade! In vanilla it has the Wind element but this version is Ice.

code:
Zil Joing (Level 10)
| HP: 250 | ATK:    1 | SPD:   33 |
| MP:  75 | DEF:  113 | HIT:  110 |
| XP:  40 | MPOW:   1 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  56 | MDEF: 150 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: earth, water
IMMUNE: berserk, blind, imp, mute, petrify, poison, sleep, zombie
SPECIAL "FinalThrow": attack x3.5
RAGE: Blizzard, Battle
CONTROL: Battle, Blizzard, Blizzard, FinalThrow
STEAL: Green Cherry, Antidote
DROPS: Antidote

Attack x3.5 and Blizzard are both very very powerful. A shame they're neutered by the monster's 1 Attack and Magic Power.

:effort:

Awww look, a couple tiny dolls and a ball they're playing with! Luau Lon are the tiny little cuties, Fenrip is their magical animated ball.

code:
Fenrip (Level 6)
| HP: 95 | ATK:   16 | SPD:   31 |
| MP:  0 | DEF:  102 | HIT:  106 |
| XP: 70 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 77 | MDEF: 153 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: wind, earth;  WEAK: pearl
AUTO: float
SPECIAL "Whisp Vice": damage + near death
RAGE: Battle, Whisp Vice
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Whisp Vice, Whisp Vice
STEAL: Echo Screen, Tonic
MORPH (99%): Sniper Sight, Stout Spear, Tack Star, White Cape

Luau Lon (Level 8)
| HP: 241 | ATK:   28 | SPD:   37 |
| MP: 111 | DEF:  105 | HIT:  114 |
| XP: 178 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 190 | MDEF: 162 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: bolt, bio;  WEAK: pearl
AUTO: seizure
OTHER: difficult to run, humanoid
SPECIAL "Beam L": attack x2.5
RAGE: Unicorn, Beam L
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Battle, Beam L
STEAL: Eyedrop, Shuriken
DROPS: Echo Screen
MORPH (12%): BehemothSuit, Gold Hairpin, Hyper Wrist, Moogle Suit
Not especially dangerous, just annoying in that they make running harder. The Luau Lons have a decent Attack for this point of the game that gels well with their x2.5 special.

This game has a lot of dogs and birds.

code:
Bicky (Level 11)
| HP: 263 | ATK:   12 | SPD:   34 |
| MP:  86 | DEF:   51 | HIT:  114 |
| XP:  66 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 190 | MDEF: 158 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: ice, bolt, earth;  WEAK: wind, pearl
SPECIAL "MainSimple": poison
RAGE: Battle, MainSimple
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, MainSimple, MainSimple
DROPS: Jewel Ring
MORPH (12%): Air Anchor, Cure Ring, Mithril Shld, Tao Robe

Hiddonne (Level 12)
| HP: 254 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   40 |
| MP: 116 | DEF:  105 | HIT:  114 |
| XP:  52 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP: 120 | MDEF: 165 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: water;  WEAK: fire, bolt
IMMUNE: condemned, death, float, imp, poison, reflect, shell, slow, vanish
AUTO: casting, float, morph
SPECIAL "Dirk Curl": imp
RAGE: Battle, Dirk Curl
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Dirk Curl, Dirk Curl
STEAL: Potion, Dried Meat
DROPS:
Poison and Imp are annoying. Poison makes the screen go blurry when you move and Imp removes your ability to do anything but Fight, Item, and the Imp spell if you have it. It persists after combat.

Ranma learned Rasp and Safe at level 9. Rasp drains MP from the target but unlike Osmose, it drains a set amount and doesn't give it back to the caster of Rasp. It only has a Spell Power of 10 so generally you're removing 100~ MP. Some monsters, even bosses, die at 0 MP and will often have less MP than HP. This can be useful if you're fighting something that absorbs all the damage you do.

Imp is real obnoxious and I tried to bribe the enemies to go away. GP Rain throws GP equal to the user's Level x 30.

code:
Damage = GP Thrown*2 / Number of enemies hit
As SSNeoman mentioned earlier, GP Rain can really save your bacon in a fight. I'm hitting these enemies for 135 damage each, just over half their total.

At this point I notice one of the enemies had dropped a Jewel Ring. This is entirely vanilla. The description says it protects against Blind as well but this is a lie, as evidenced by the Effect window. Not sure if that's a bug in the original or just a bad description.

gently caress Mt. Kolts.

Hey what happened to the bard? Did you eat them?

Wow how rude, I'm just passing through.

code:
Vargas (Level 12)
/----------------------------------\
| HP: 1649 | ATK:   15 | SPD:   34 |
| MP:  235 | DEF:   87 | HIT:  102 |
| XP:    0 | MPOW:  12 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:    0 | MDEF: 156 | MBLK:   0 |
\----------------------------------/
NULLIFY: bolt, bio, water
VULNERABLE: blind, float, haste, protect, reflect, regen, shell, slow, stop
OTHER: can't escape, humanoid
SPECIAL "Curse Down": damage + condemned (unblockable)
SKILLS: Gale Cut
STEAL:
DROPS:
Ipooh (Level 11)
| HP: 399 | ATK:   19 | SPD:   41 |
| MP:  71 | DEF:  115 | HIT:  103 |
| XP:   0 | MPOW:  11 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:   0 | MDEF: 153 | MBLK:   0 |
IMMUNE: berserk, condemned, confuse, death, magitek, near death, petrify, poison, seizure, sleep, vanish, zombie
SPECIAL "TurvyKitty": attack x3
STEAL: Potion, Soft
DROPS: Plumed Hat, Inviz Edge
Vargas is way tuned down from vanilla, in an effort to make him actually beatable. Normally you would get a few hits on him after killing the bears, Sabin would come in, and a Pummel Blitz would end the fight immediately. Here you're not guaranteed to get a Blitz on your Sabin replacement so Vargas has had his HP cut from the normal 11,600. Instead, you need to do a randomized amount of damage to have Sabin appear. If you have a good skill, you can kill him outright and Sabin just appears in your party aftward.

I can't bear to watch.

A couple of FlaPears later and our hero comes to save us from...someone not all that threatening really.

Taiga does have a pretty striking battle pose at least.

Final Fantasy VI: Save Them This actually plays later in the game at certain points.

I start with a hefty Jump. I wish I had a Heavy Shield leftover in the inventory to do a Super Jump but alas. I've definitely had worse skills for Sabin at this point, several of them leading to a wipe.

Just a few bops on the head is all it takes.

Hey remember how Gau was broken in vanilla? Rage is (or at least potentially is) even more broken in BC. Monster skills are way more varied than Vanilla. We'll go over Rages in detail in the next update.

Magic Power is a little low but Vigor is high and Speed is through the roof! 65 is crazy high at this point in the game.

Taiga arrived with a slightly above normal Silk Robe with an extra spicy +10 Evade over vanilla.

The last chest of this update is a claw, not equipable by anyone we currently have access to. These have 15 higher Attack than normal with the same Holy element.

This is real hosed up, not gonna lie. I'm going to assume the rabbits (Raga) are running from the floating disembodied head of a Somouro.

code:
Raga (Level 7)
| HP: 129 | ATK:   11 | SPD:   32 |
| MP: 107 | DEF:  106 | HIT:  104 |
| XP:  62 | MPOW:  10 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  65 | MDEF: 160 | MBLK:   0 |
NULLIFY: ice, bolt
IMMUNE: death, float, near death, protect, vanish
AUTO: cover
SPECIAL "Scratch": attack x1.5
SKILLS: Blizzard
RAGE: Blizzard, Scratch
CONTROL: Battle, Blizzard, Scratch, Scratch
STEAL: Eyedrop, Shuriken
DROPS: Tonic

Somouro (Level 10)
| HP: 154 | ATK:   13 | SPD:   35 |
| MP: 116 | DEF:   84 | HIT:  109 |
| XP:  98 | MPOW:  11 | EVD:    0 |
| GP:  75 | MDEF: 110 | MBLK:   0 |
IMMUNE: death, magitek, shell, slow
AUTO: haste
OTHER: ambusher, undead
SPECIAL "CleanBlaze": attack x3.5
RAGE: Grav Bomb, Battle
CONTROL: Battle, Battle, Battle, CleanBlaze
STEAL: LeatherArmor, Antidote
DROPS: Plumed Hat
I don't like either of these. Blizzard hurts and attack x3.5 doesn't feel good either. Both these monsters put the Zil Joing to shame.

Can you tell that I didn't heal after the Vargas fight? Whatever, I'll just reload the save state.

gently caress OFF

Good lord we finally made it, gently caress the wildlife.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Rage is always nice, though it's *kind* of a pain to remember all the useful ones since they always change, especially with randomized enemy names.

And of all the character sprites I've seen so far, I certainly wasn't expecting to see a sentient potato.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Rage is always nice, though it's *kind* of a pain to remember all the useful ones since they always change, especially with randomized enemy names.

And of all the character sprites I've seen so far, I certainly wasn't expecting to see a sentient potato.

I try to go through the Rage menu as soon as I get it and make note of any useful statuses or attacks. I also try to check it every time I fight something new; in BC you automatically get the Rage of any creatures you encounter. It was a simpler solution than trying to guarantee someone with Rage also had Leap, and so someone didn't get stuck with an otherwise useless command.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

My seed started with Terra being an incredibly fragile potato. But at level 8 has almost twice as many HP as Draco Edgar or Frog Locke.

My one complaint about the randomizer (original and EXtra Crispy) is that monster-in-a-boxes don't have guaranteed drops. Honestly between this and the one liquidy and I ran through I don't think any of these jerks dropped anything. Which is especially rude when the Returner cave had like 60% monster-in-a-boxes. Thankfully all but one of them had no means of casting magic. Frog had R-Rand which has a very non-random chance of casting Phantom, so Potato was able to solo every one but the caster pot.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I actually got some drops from some of my current seed's monsto boxos. I don't remember specifics because it wasn't anything impressive, but I did get stuff. Probably happened in the LP seed, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I feel like I've noticed MiaBs not dropping a lot of stuff too, not even any GP or XP. Probably only the ones that are MiaB only, not the ones that can appear out in the world.

I did some Permadeath on Twitch tonight, I didn't even make it past Vargas on any of the 5-6 seeds :shepicide:. The Vargas death was entirely my fault, I wasn't paying attention to HP when he did a Gale Cut and killed everyone.