Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s defiantly an isolationist experience and there are times where that is really appealing and times where it’s not at all.

It can be good for a laugh with a group of people but that is mostly novelty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

I feel like its less about the gear and more about the complete disconnection from real life on all senses. Its not exactly something super casual you can do while having a laugh, its like a full body and brain commitment. I dunno, maybe I'm overthinking it though.

As long as they can get Facebook or whatever new time suck comes along on it, I could see it catching on in private use at least somewhat.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wish the Nintendo Classic Mini had composite out so I could just hook it up to my 14" CRT because all the games look hideous on a 40" LCD.

E: oh wait never mind it has no good games.

SNES Mini is great, but the NES Mini definitely showed that 8 bit games are basically carried by nostalgia to a blinding degree. Not much from that era really holds up, it's pretty obvious a lot of the time that they were still in the arcade mindset.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

SNES Mini is great, but the NES Mini definitely showed that 8 bit games are basically carried by nostalgia to a blinding degree. Not much from that era really holds up, it's pretty obvious a lot of the time that they were still in the arcade mindset.

Actually it has Bubble Bobble which is good but I already have it on the Wii and the Wii does composite so :shrug: Also Kirby which isn't bad but also is boring.

(I guess "Bubble Bobble is good" isn't an unpopular opinion.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Actually it has Bubble Bobble which is good but I already have it on the Wii and the Wii does composite so :shrug: Also Kirby which isn't bad but also is boring.

And Dr Mario. Something about those more actual arcadey-type score attack games seems to hold up almost timelessly. Pinball had it right.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And Dr Mario. Something about those more actual arcadey-type score attack games seems to hold up almost timelessly. Pinball had it right.

Dr Mario isn't only the worst Tetris I've ever played, it's literally the only bad Tetris I've ever played.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jerry Cotton posted:

bubble bobble is good but some of the stages are real bad

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The bubble bobble theme was very jaunty

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

bubble bobble is good but some of the stages are real bad

Lol if you think I ever make it past the first ten levels (at least if I'm playing by myself).

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Yeah Bubble Bobble owns, there was always something very satisfying about playing it, might be my most played gameboy game after Zelda and Mario.

UO: not all europlatforners are bad. Tge SNES had a pretty good Asterix game, Mr. Nutz had really good presentation.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah Bubble Bobble owns, there was always something very satisfying about playing it, might be my most played gameboy game after Zelda and Mario.

UO: not all europlatforners are bad. Tge SNES had a pretty good Asterix game, Mr. Nutz had really good presentation.

Some (possibly all) Tintin games had terrific presentation but I think they sucked. (That or I just couldn't play them properly because I didn't have the Manuels.)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

Some (possibly all) Tintin games had terrific presentation but I think they sucked. (That or I just couldn't play them properly because I didn't have the Manuels.)

The Tintin games are weird yeah. I played through the first one but it's pure trial and error. I think they're good though, they're more like Another World than like normal platformers.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Dr Mario isn't only the worst Tetris I've ever played, it's literally the only bad Tetris I've ever played.

i see someone has never played Hatris

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rutibex posted:

gently caress, I've never even heard of Hatris :eyepoop:

(By the way, the best Tetris is Fallout. Good luck Googling that.)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kirby sucks.

They also dont have any good games.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rutibex posted:

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

NEOVERSE is better than Slay the Spire.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

NEOVERSE is better than Slay the Spire.

Much like Steamworld Dig 2 was a hidden gem of a Metroidvania, Steamworld Quest is a very fun Slay the Spire-type game that hasn't gotten a ton of hype.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I like Final Fantasy VIII better than Final Fantasy VII.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
The best Tetris is Nyet III. :colbert:

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Atheists be damned Tetris need a cross shaped piece

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Much like Steamworld Dig 2 was a hidden gem of a Metroidvania, Steamworld Quest is a very fun Slay the Spire-type game that hasn't gotten a ton of hype.

Huh, I'm way into those types of games and I've never heard of Steamworld Quest. It only has 363 reviews on Steam and I know that franchise is pretty popular. I'm intrigued about the party aspect of it.

Edward Mass posted:

I like Final Fantasy VIII better than Final Fantasy VII.

This is a increasingly popular opinion and I just don't get it. It has the worst story and worst main character of any Final Fantasy game, which is really saying something, and no I'm not going to read some Geocities page about what the story is really about. Also the gameplay design is fundamentally broken from the start.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Icochet posted:

Atheists be damned Tetris need a cross shaped piece

? You can't make a cross out of four squares. The pieces are literally all possible variations on 4 squares connected to each other.

is pepsi ok posted:

Huh, I'm way into those types of games and I've never heard of Steamworld Quest. It only has 363 reviews on Steam and I know that franchise is pretty popular. I'm intrigued about the party aspect of it.

This is a increasingly popular opinion and I just don't get it. It has the worst story and worst main character of any Final Fantasy game, which is really saying something, and no I'm not going to read some Geocities page about what the story is really about. Also the gameplay design is fundamentally broken from the start.

.... whatever.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

? You can't make a cross out of four squares. The pieces are literally all possible variations on 4 squares connected to each other.

I think your wrong, we can work this out.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

You can't make a cross out of four squares...

...without the power of motherfucking Jesus

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

? You can't make a cross out of four squares.
What if the inside was empty

The ultimate gently caress you piece

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

is pepsi ok posted:

The way the party works is, each character has 8 cards and you draw from a deck of 24. You get to use 3 cards per turn, and you get a bonus effect if all 3 cards are the same party member. It's essentially like if you could use all 3 characters together in Slay the Spire.

Also 90% of the reason I think FF8 is better than FF7 is because the battle systems are so broken they're amazing. There's like a dozen different ways you can break the game and they're all hilarious.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I never really enjoyed playing the original Doom, it was okay but I was always a Duke3D person.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
^ Hexen and Heretic were better than anything in the early Doom series.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

internet celebrity posted:

^ Hexen and Heretic were better than anything in the early Doom series.

Someone's not actually played Hexen in recent memory!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Why do games think the first thing I want is story and not game play? Yes yes yes cutscenes more cutscenes can I play the game yet? Okay tutorials great. How about now? Alright game play time or maybe more cutscenes we'll see. Steamworld Quest is totally guilty of this. As well as having terrible talking sounds. I remember Custom Robo having bad talking sounds as well. Like fine whatever voice acting is expensive but at least make the noises you choose to have instead not terrible.

I think Bastion did it well as I recall, having story as I play. Cutscenes etc. are fine after I've played a bit.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 11, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It's almost like some games are about stories and some are about gameplay.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

veni veni veni posted:

It's almost like some games are about stories and some are about gameplay.

It doesn't have to be one or the other, no matter that the last decade+ of AAA has told you.

(edit)

This is why I don't play JRPGs at all though. I'm okay with animated movies but now when I'm trying to play a loving game and the animation needs to be much better than the average cutscene. Like, I really enjoy a lot of the TeamFourStar Let's Plays but the Kingdom Hearts 3 one was unbearable because there's like 5 minutes of random gameplay in the first 45 minutes of the game and the remainder is cutscene. Either have interactive dialog or limit your cutscenes to 2 minutes, tops.

13Pandora13 fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 11, 2019

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
It’s bullshit and why I gave up on Zelda: Twilight Princess.

I would have had 2 Triforce pieces in Zelda 1 before getting out of the starting area of that game.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Duck and Cover posted:

Why do games think the first thing I want is story and not game play? Yes yes yes cutscenes more cutscenes can I play the game yet? Okay tutorials great. How about now? Alright game play time or maybe more cutscenes we'll see. Steamworld Quest is totally guilty of this. As well as having terrible talking sounds. I remember Custom Robo having bad talking sounds as well. Like fine whatever voice acting is expensive but at least make the noises you choose to have instead not terrible.

I think Bastion did it well as I recall, having story as I play. Cutscenes etc. are fine after I've played a bit.

FMVs and cut-scenes can be developed in a silo - that is, if you have multiple teams working on a game, the fmvs and cutscenes can be developed independently of the actual game. If we can assume all teams are going to hit code complete at about the same time, then this approach saves time - however, what happens if the core game isn't going so well, but you have all these full-time artists sitting around collecting paychecks - obviously it would seem to be a better use of their time to just have them churn out more and more cut-scenes than to just get paid for doing nothing. Then if you have a director that isn't willing to cut out the crap and be like "yeah, we really don't need this fmv of Lightning climbing some stairs," it's a recipe for disaster.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Olaf The Stout posted:

god that just makes me sad for steel battalion. The original xbox version came with a 40-button controller that included stick shifts, pedals, a wiper button for your windshield, light arrays, and even an ejector seat button covered with a clear platic flip up guard that you had to use when you were dying so your pilot survived. If you didn't eject when your mech was exploding it would kill your pilot and then wipe your save file. My buddy had this thing and it was the tits.

The 360 remake was tied to the kinect, and had no buttons. You were just supposed to kinect-swat at the screen and use that to push buttons. It worked even less than you are imagining.

If only they would have held off remaking for another generation and went for VR + controller setup...

The 360 game could have been enjoyable if they had just made an option to use a controller. It would have been clunky but anything would have been an improvement on the godawful Kinect controls. My dream is that one day we could get a tank crew game based on a lot of the ideas that were in Heavy Armor.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Plan Z posted:

The 360 game could have been enjoyable if they had just made an option to use a controller. It would have been clunky but anything would have been an improvement on the godawful Kinect controls. My dream is that one day we could get a tank crew game based on a lot of the ideas that were in Heavy Armor.

I saw that thing for sale once in Japan for 10000 yen (like 100 dollars i guess), I almost bought it but it came with the defunct multiplayer version instead of the actual game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

13Pandora13 posted:

It doesn't have to be one or the other, no matter that the last decade+ of AAA has told you.

It doesn't, but there is a reason that it's rare that a game has both a good story and gameplay, and it's even rarer that the two compliment each other instead of being at odds.

I don't get what you mean with the last part because AAA game always seem to try and do both, and usually fail miserably at it.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

veni veni veni posted:

It doesn't, but there is a reason that it's rare that a game has both a good story and gameplay, and it's even rarer that the two compliment each other instead of being at odds.

I don't get what you mean with the last part because AAA game always seem to try and do both, and usually fail miserably at it.

They fail because they don't actually "try", pretending to have a plot but not hiring dedicated writing staff that's *actually writers* and not just developers who like writing (and giving them time and resources to actually develop a quality script) isn't trying. :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Plan Z posted:

The 360 game would work well with the current VR things too, they might need to change the graphics for seeing small details on headset but other than that all the stuff it had I've found works well in current VR games.