Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bruce is happy to help but is having a a species identity crisis, he thinks he's a shark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Buddy probably doesn't want you to pet him but he'll grudgingly allow it.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
https://twitter.com/dprk_news/status/1160396099133177856?s=21

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

:tif:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Duster is a sleepy boy, but he would still like some scritches.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Current events: Yoko needs a belly rub

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The real story of Epstein suicide is that the prisons are corrupted and miserable and prisons could easily prevent suicide but don’t bother to all too often.

It’s a really cruel system.

But golly, now a bunch of people (not here) who miss prison rape jokes have decided to try their hand at prison suicide jokes just because Epstein was terrible human.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
https://twitter.com/isawrobertsmith/status/1160309451007635456

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

The real story of Epstein suicide is that the prisons are corrupted and miserable and prisons could easily prevent suicide but don’t bother to all too often.

But golly, now a bunch of people (not here) who miss prison rape jokes have decided to try their hand at prison suicide jokes just because Epstein was terrible human.

I mean it’s even worse when you remember the majority of the prison population is non violent offenders. I can understand, at least on a basic level, not giving a poo poo what happens to murderers, rapist, and pedophiles, but someone who got caught with a joint doesn’t deserve to be treated like an animal. Our justice system is fundamentally broken.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
We do not have a criminal Justice system. We have a continuation of slavery per the 13th amendment.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm starting to think Epstein is dead in the same way that the Saudis who killed Khashoggi are dead.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

mlmp08 posted:

Solitary confinement in MDC is so shockingly inhumane that the cannibal cop who was put into segpop for protection asked to be put into gen pop because the risk of being attacked by other inmates was preferable to being in solitary.

Yes, solitary (excuse me, protective confinement) was so bad that a cop asked to be put into general population. Which is still horrible, but is preferable to solitary in MDC.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1160449196085977089.html

I’m phone posting so forgive the lack of crafty linking but be thankful i used a threadreaderapp link.

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug

Teppence the abnormal dog sending good vibes along with his little cat pal Took.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I don't think the guy who was obsessed with immortality, who already effectively got off once, who was friends with Trump and who was given his first hookup by the father of the AG, but who also had secrets on countless wealthy powerful people, killed himself in custody.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Seriously.

It's grift all the way down. And I honestly doubt that piece of poo poo is dead. It's 2019, he's on a flying saucer with Elvis and Tupac.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
https://twitter.com/katystoll/status/1160205808577105920?s=19

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

I wonder if the whole chud world believes being an informant just absolves you of the crime.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

:psyduck:

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1160449196085977089.html

I’m phone posting so forgive the lack of crafty linking but be thankful i used a threadreaderapp link.

I love everything about this

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sorry, without context you don't know shes trolling, but she is and I think that's hilarious. Katy Stoll is one of the frequent guests on the Behind the Bastards podcast that so many people in here recommend.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Chichevache posted:

Sorry, without context you don't know shes trolling, but she is and I think that's hilarious. Katy Stoll is one of the frequent guests on the Behind the Bastards podcast that so many people in here recommend.

Oh thank God. For a moment there I was like you know what, gently caress it. It's 2019, this isn't even the worst or least believable thing I've read all week.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Smiling Jack posted:

Solitary confinement in MDC is so shockingly inhumane that the cannibal cop who was put into segpop for protection asked to be put into gen pop because the risk of being attacked by other inmates was preferable to being in solitary.

Yes, solitary (excuse me, protective confinement) was so bad that a cop asked to be put into general population. Which is still horrible, but is preferable to solitary in MDC.

Cannibal cop? Wha :chloe:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flying_Crab posted:

Wasn't that a Troma film?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You're thinking of killer condom

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Flying_Crab posted:

This gets weird, even for the "cannibal cop" premise.

Assuming I'm thinking of the right guy, and there's not somehow another one in New York.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/conviction-cannibal-nypd-overturned-article-1.1850334

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ex-nypd-cannibal-releases-extremely-violent-horror-article-1.3745322

tl;dr his conviction was overturned after a couple years because a higher level court found that his original jury conviction for planning to murder and eat people was based on insufficient evidence.

He then went on to write a novel about killing and eating people.

How do I know this, off the top of my head?

Well, because my high school librarian was one of his cannibal pals, and is doing time for it. Dude always had creeper vibes. Guess he wanted to eat his students.

https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc-crime/school-librarian-15-years-case-tied-cannibal-article-1.3786933

Edit oh poo poo, and now that I'm reading the article about my librarian, I guess he was with NAMBLA too. And was suspended even before his arrest for molesting students. Wow.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 11, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm def not the only one on the Epstein is alive train.

https://twitter.com/CameraAndFlask/status/1160313265429319685?s=09

Late edit:

Andrew Yang after my comedy option vote.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/video/trump-hot-air-balloon-grounded-fat-yang-64908481

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Aug 11, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Fat shaming isn't cool, YangGang :(

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Suicide Watch posted:

I'm a fat gently caress and that kind of "fat shaming" is fine in my book. It barely registers a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Suicide Watch posted:

What'd he do to fat shame?

Edit

Nvm. Saw it. That's so innocuous and besides, if he doesn't want to be fat he can put down the fork.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Who is yang gang and what are you guys talking about?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Suicide Watch posted:

Yes it is.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Wasabi the J posted:

We do not have a criminal Justice system. We have a continuation of slavery per the 13th amendment.

The quote I remember from a Ken white post on the prosecution and suicide of Aaron Swartz seems relevant:

'"Justice system" is a label, not a description. The furnace on a steam locomotive bound for San Francisco does not have a goal of reaching San Francisco; the furnace just burns what you throw into it to move the train along.'

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
To no one’s surprise, changes in YouTube’s recommendation algorithm are suspected in leading to the rise in right wing nationalism in Brazil.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/11/world/americas/youtube-brazil.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

What’s ironic to me is how authoritarian regimes actively try to crush free speech/the media, but citizens in these struggling countries willingly eat up this right wing propaganda

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
DON’T CALL IT A COMEBACK: THE STAYING POWER OF THE ISLAMIC STATE
Bottom Line Up Front:

-- Several high-level reports published over the past few weeks reiterate what most terrorism and security analysts have been saying for months—the so-called Islamic State (IS) is alive and well in Iraq and Syria.

-- Over the past several months, IS has waged a campaign of assassinations, ambushes, and suicide attacks.

-- IS boasts between 14,000 and 18,000 current members and has amassed a war chest assessed at between $50 and $300 million.

-- Not only is the physical manifestation of IS resurging, but the deplorable conditions are abetting the group's ability to sustain itself in the future in places like al-Hol, which fuels propaganda and recruitment.

Several high-level reports published over the past few weeks reiterate what most terrorism and security analysts have been saying for months—the so-called Islamic State (IS) is alive and well in Iraq and Syria. The Lead Inspector General (IG) report to Congress on the state of Operation Inherent Resolve, combined with the United Nations Security Council report on the Islamic State, paint a bleak picture of the campaign to defeat the group in Iraq and Syria. The IG report describes how IS has reconstituted a sophisticated command-and-control network while the UN report warns explicitly of the potential for a new wave of terrorist attacks around the globe by the end of the year.

The IG report, which covers the period from the beginning of April to the end of June, notes that even though IS has lost its physical caliphate, the group has still managed to reinforce its operational and organizational capabilities, while transforming into an underground guerrilla movement in Iraq and Syria. IS has been able to resurge, in large part, because U.S. partner forces, including the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF) and the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF), lack the training and equipment needed to combat the group. The IG report estimates that IS boasts between 14,000 and 18,000 members currently. Its vast financial reserves, assessed at between $50 and $300 million, provide it with the opportunity to reinforce franchise groups across the globe. In 2017, IS core in Iraq and Syria sent funds to militants fighting in Marawi in the Philippines. It will likely seek to do the same with its affiliates in Egypt’s Sinai Peninsula, Libya, Afghanistan, West Africa, and elsewhere. The U.S. military has warned that the Islamic State Khorasan Province (ISKP), IS’s affiliate in Afghanistan, is capable of inspiring and directing attacks against Western countries, to include the United States. 

Over the past several months, IS has waged a campaign of assassinations, ambushes, kidnappings, and suicide attacks. Massive crop fires, which have been attributed to the group, serve as a reminder to the population that the governments in Iraq and Syria are unable to protect civilians while undermining confidence in local security forces. As chaos and instability return to areas where IS formerly governed, reconstruction and stabilization efforts will be further delayed and postponed, perhaps indefinitely. Despite President Trump's announcement in December 2018 that 'We have won against ISIS,' it is clear that the Islamic State has the ability to sustain an insurgency for the foreseeable future. This is not an issue of IS returning to Iraq and Syria—the group and its members never left. 

Not only is the physical manifestation of IS resurging, but the terrible conditions are abetting the group's ability to sustain itself in the future in places like al-Hol, a detention center in Syria where as many as 70,000 people are being held, most of whom are children. The UN report warns of the impact of prison radicalization and the deplorable conditions of detention camps like al-Hol, where IS is actively working to recruit new members within the camp’s large population of internally displaced persons. Without a coordinated strategy to deal with the individuals held in these camps, the cycle of violence is likely to repeat itself, thereby perpetuating extremism not just in Iraq and Syria, but in third-party nations where foreign fighters and their families ultimately seek to resettle.

http://www.soufangroup.com/intelbrief-dont-call-it-a-comeback-the-staying-power-of-the-islamic-state/

If you aren't signed up for The Soufan Group's email, you should. It gives you a real look and update plus good analysis on foreign policy, international security, and domestic and international terrorism 5 days a week.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Suicide Watch posted:

To no one’s surprise, changes in YouTube’s recommendation algorithm are suspected in leading to the rise in right wing nationalism in Brazil.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/11/world/americas/youtube-brazil.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

What’s ironic to me is how authoritarian regimes actively try to crush free speech/the media, but citizens in these struggling countries willingly eat up this right wing propaganda

That's because fascism is like an opioid.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Latest on the Rooskie nuke fuckup:

Brown Moses posted:

Seems like a missile test failed, and when they tried to recover it the missile exploded

https://twitter.com/ain92ru/status/1160840071135879168

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Trump administration rules that could deny green cards to immigrants who use Medicaid, food stamps, housing vouchers or other forms of public assistance are going into effect, potentially making it more difficult for some to get legal status in the United States.

Federal law already requires those seeking green cards and legal status to prove they will not be a burden to the U.S., or what’s called a “public charge,” but the new rules, made public on Monday, detail a broader range of programs that could disqualify them.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services officers will now weigh public assistance along with other factors such as education, household income and health to determine whether to grant legal status.

Much of President Donald Trump’s effort to crack down on illegal immigration has been in the spotlight, but the rule change is one of the most aggressive efforts to restrict legal immigration. It’s part of a push to move the U.S. to a system that focuses on immigrants’ skills instead of emphasizing the reunification of families, as it has done.

The rules will take effect in mid-October. They don’t apply to U.S. citizens, even if the U.S. citizen is related to an immigrant who is subject to them.

The acting director of Citizenship and Immigration Services, Ken Cuccinelli, said the rule change fits with the Republican president’s message.

“We want to see people coming to this country who are self-sufficient,” Cuccinelli said. “That’s a core principle of the American Dream. It’s deeply embedded in our history, and particularly our history related to legal immigration.”

Immigrants make up a small percentage of those who get public benefits. In fact, many are ineligible for public benefits because of their immigration status.

https://apnews.com/f440cbe61eb642c99f4d9a47e437c526

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

quote:

“We want to see people coming to this country who are self-sufficient,” Cuccinelli said. “That’s a core principle of the American Dream. It’s deeply embedded in our history, and particularly our history related to legal immigration.”

Deeply embedded in our history:
https://petapixel.com/2013/06/16/how-the-other-half-lives-photographs-of-nycs-underbelly-in-the-1890s/