Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Kilza posted:

welp, I thought everybody would've forgotten about him so I could snag him late to be my 3rd pairing LHD or a 7th D-man

I almost did but then noticed he was still there. Seems like a decent gamble for a vet 3rd pair if he's not broken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

mentholmoose posted:

Thought about Barbashev on my last pick, I think his elevated shooting percentage last season might make him cost too much.

Yeah, it could certainly bite me in the rear end, but I have a feeling he'll get a show-me contract.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Next up:
eXXon (until 11:01 AM EST)
Teemu Pokemon
EL BROMANCE
Jordan7hm
fawning deference

Skipped:
Jamwad Hilder (x2)

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Sorry I missed my picks

taking Ilya Samsonov as backup and also goalie of the future (not that Hellebuyck is old)

since my defense blows I might as well go for a talented prospect here so I'm also picking Bode Wilde who is a RHD who I hope can pair nicely with Darnell Nurse some day in the future. But for now I'm gonna put him with a veteran in Martinez since Grzelcyk is more of a solid third guy (and LHD).

Ehlers - Dubois - Kucherov
Donato - Backstrom - Oshie
Tolvanen - Coyle - Joseph
Fabbri - Wennberg - Caufield

Nurse - Schultz
Martinez - Wilde
Grzelcyk

Hellebuyck
Samsonov

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I wanted to take Poehling to ensure that he never scores against the Leafs again, but since stab stole him, I'm going to pick Josh Brook, who has a good shot at playing in the NHL next season once Weber inevitably gets injured.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
Rangers select Louis Domingue

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Next up:
EL BROMANCE (until 12 PM EST)
Jordan7hm
fawning deference
Ergo Propter Hog
lazerwolf

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i'll do my buddy el bromance a favor and transfer his pick here, which he posted in the offseason thread by accident

EL BROMANCE posted:

In month 4 of the draft, the Panthers pick their reserve goalie in Cal Petersen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Doh. Sunday mornings aren’t my thing. Or mornings in general.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Sebastian Aho #2 for me

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Pfft, I’m not skipped for 3 more minutes. But I wasn’t gonna take him anyway. I’ll be a few mins with my pick.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ok so ottawa takes Pontus Aberg. Not quite a prospect but only 25 and has a proven ability to score at an NHL level. Small, decent speed, fine on a fourth line with spot duty to spark the top 6 when it struggles to score.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Ergo Propter Hog (2:25 PM EST)
lazerwolf
FBS
Kuule hain nussivan
JawKnee
Kilza

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Markus Granlund for another fourth line addition.

Sheary - Seguin - Buchnevich
Martinook - Johansen - Boedker
Hagelin - Namestikov - Kassian
x - Barbashev - Granlund

Klefbom - Subban
Chara - Stecher
Coburn - x

Holtby

Extras:
Pulujarvi

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

fawning deference posted:

Sebastian Aho #2 for me

what the hell man

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Lazerwolf skipped.

Next up:
FBS (until 4:51 PM EST)
Kuule hain nussivan
JawKnee
Kilza
Drunk Canuck

Skipped:
lazerwolf

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Vegas selects Ian Cole

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'll take AHL Rookie of the Year Alex Barre-Boulet

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Thanks to JawKnee for the heads up.

Because every team needs at least one prospect who might play in the AHL, but probably shouldn't, the Colorado Avalanche pick Aleksi Saarela!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
This is a drat difficult pick. There are not really any good RD left, and going by possession numbers or points doesn't get you much unless you take a shot at someone who hasn't played much, or has had favorable starts in the o-zone. I could take another LD and make someone play on the wrong side but I don't like that idea.

So with that in mind I'm going to take someone who is definitely Old and Expensive, and if I listen to IAS also Bad.

Johnny Boychuk come on down. His 6m/year until 2022 cap hit puts me over the floor, and goal production from him has been trending downward. A small upside is that he's still playing the majority of his starts in the d-zone, and putting in 18 minutes a night as of last year (a step down from his usual 20 mintues a night). I need neither from him on the 3rd line.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

This is a tough decision. Although I'm tempted to pick my coach now, as I think if I don't pick them now they won't come back to me, I think the run on D recently has scared me enough to think that I won't get one of my guys if I don't pick them now.

After careful deliberation, I'll choose Jordan Oesterle to be my 3rd pairing LHD. He's a solid puck mover. He had a good year in Chicago 2 seasons ago but a bit of a down year defensively this season from what I can tell, but I feel like he'd thrive if placed in the proper role.

Nyquist - Monahan - Wheeler
Johansson - Trocheck - White
Nieto - Steel - Hornqvist
Erne - Ryan - x

Hedman - Petry
McNabb - Miller
Oesterle - Weegar

Raanta
Francouz

Next up:
Drunk Canuck (until 6:55 PM EST)
Jonathan Fisk
stab
WeaponX
VOTE1

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Kilza posted:

This is a tough decision. Although I'm tempted to pick my coach now, as I think if I don't pick them now they won't come back to me, I think the run on D recently has scared me enough to think that I won't get one of my guys if I don't pick them now.

After careful deliberation, I'll choose Jordan Oesterle to be my 3rd pairing LHD. He's a solid puck mover. He had a good year in Chicago 2 seasons ago but a bit of a down year defensively this season from what I can tell, but I feel like he'd thrive if placed in the proper role.

Nyquist - Monahan - Wheeler
Johansson - Trocheck - White
Nieto - Steel - Hornqvist
Erne - Ryan - x

Hedman - Petry
McNabb - Miller
Oesterle - Weegar

Raanta
Francouz

Next up:
Drunk Canuck (until 6:55 PM EST)
Jonathan Fisk
stab
WeaponX
VOTE1

Ffuucckkkkk yoooouuuuuuu

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Uh, D Maxime Lajoie is my pick

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Drunk Canuck posted:

Fucckkkkk yoooouuuuuuu

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

God drat it, suck it

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Zuccarello-O'Reilly-Mantha
Voracek-Hughes-Connolly
Vesalainen-Bjugstad-Frolik
Goldobin-Jarnkrok-Howden

Hronek-Klingberg
Severson-Fox
Hutton-Aho

Varlamov

I think my team is pretty deep, and if my four rookies (Hughes, Vesalainen, Fox, Aho) are as good as they look to be already off the bat, that gives me something very formidable. But then again, I took Zykov and Tolvanen last year, so...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Drunk Canuck posted:

was also considering taking Lajoie for a while now. But I think with Cholowski I'm better off not chancing 2 guys who might not actually get a full season

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Zuccarello-O'Reilly-Mantha
Voracek-Hughes-Connolly
Vesalainen-Bjugstad-Frolik
Goldobin-Jarnkrok-Howden

Hronek-Klingberg
Severson-Fox
Hutton-Aho

Varlamov

I think my team is pretty deep, and if my four rookies (Hughes, Vesalainen, Fox, Aho) are as good as they look to be already off the bat, that gives me something very formidable. But then again, I took Zykov and Tolvanen last year, so...

This is a good team. Very solid skilled two way players everywhere, would be a tough team to play against. Defense is a bit of a questionable mark outside of Klingberg tho.

You made up for that lovely first pick :)

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

JawKnee posted:

was also considering taking Lajoie for a while now. But I think with Cholowski I'm better off not chancing 2 guys who might not actually get a full season

REXishly Lajoie was annihilated 5v5 and benefited from a ton of luck via shoting percentage and Powerplay. -5.1 Corsi rel and -9.6 xG per HockeyReference....which when you're 29 xGF and 39 xGA that's....bad.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
code:

Anders Lee - Leon Draisaitl - Vladimir Tarasenko
Roope Hintz - Max Domi - Ondrej Kase
Marcus Sorensen - Morgan Frost - Andrew Shaw
Joel Farabee - Ryan Carpenter		

Esa Lindell - Dougie Hamilton	
Devon Toews - Jacob Trouba	
Matt Niskanen - Matt Benning
Ian Cole 

Thomas Greiss		

I feel like this is a very different style team than I have drafted in the past

lazerwolf fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 12, 2019

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Next up:
Jonathan Fisk (until 8:47 PM EST)
stab
WeaponX
VOTE1
i am the bird

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

WeaponX posted:

This is a good team. Very solid skilled two way players everywhere, would be a tough team to play against. Defense is a bit of a questionable mark outside of Klingberg tho.

You made up for that lovely first pick :)

Severson is not a question mark, either, but yeah, a lot depends on Hronek and Fox in particular. I really don't see Fox being a bust - he should at least be around Will Butcher territory, which would put him at very effective.

And again if Hughes is elite in a year or two I'm fine with that, but yeah, maybe if you replace Hughes with Schiefele or Aho this would immediately be a real contender.

But you're right, I think I have four solid versatile 200-foot player lines.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Also considering we are judging players by their performances in 2020, the fact that Varlamov is playing under a Trotz/Korn team makes me think I stole him late - any goalie would put up .915+ on that Islanders team at the moment, so getting good goaltending and good rookie seasons from Fox and Aho, which I think is quite likely considering Aho looked very good in his callup last year and Fox utterly dominated at Harvard last year, that gives me a nice young puck-moving defense.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Also considering we are judging players by their performances in 2020, the fact that Varlamov is playing under a Trotz/Korn team makes me think I stole him late - any goalie would put up .915+ on that Islanders team at the moment, so getting good goaltending and good rookie seasons from Fox and Aho, which I think is quite likely considering Aho looked very good in his callup last year and Fox utterly dominated at Harvard last year, that gives me a nice young puck-moving defense.

I think the Isles losing Lehner might bite them in the rear end. I'm not necessarily convinced that Varlamov will replicate what Lehner did, and Varlamov is made of glass too. If I were building a playoff bracket right now I wouldn't have the Isles in.

That said there's certainly a possibility that Varlamov stays healthy and benefits from that system.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Ginette Reno posted:

I think the Isles losing Lehner might bite them in the rear end. I'm not necessarily convinced that Varlamov will replicate what Lehner did, and Varlamov is made of glass too. If I were building a playoff bracket right now I wouldn't have the Isles in.

That said there's certainly a possibility that Varlamov stays healthy and benefits from that system.

If he stays healthy I think he can put up .915 to .918. I don't think Lehner is a .930 goalie this year either. Varly's health is key but if he stays OK he will put up solid numbers.

I don't have the Isles in the playoffs either.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I’ll take Elvis Merzlikins if he’s still open

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I’ll take Elvis Merzlikins if he’s still open

He's yours.

Next up:
stab (until 10:30 AM EST)
WeaponX
VOTE1
i am the bird
El Gallinero Gros

stab
Feb 12, 2003

He sure looks like an nhl dman

I have no loving idea who he is and he didnt look drafted when i checked the spreadsheet

gently caress it he can be the weak link in my all star defense

P.s gently caress you guys for decimating my list in the last 5 picks

Nick Seeler

So just to remind you, this is my D

Hanifin- Carlson
Vlasic- Byfuglien
Seeler- Erik Johnson

With Carey Price lmao

stab fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 12, 2019

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The San Jose Sharks will take the underrated and incredibly unlucky Anders Nilsson as the backup goalie for Rask.

Serious about the unlucky party, he played for the 13/14 Islanders, the 15/16 Oilers, the 16/17 Sabres, the 17/18 Canucks, and now the Senators! What a nightmare! And somehow he kept over a .900 career SV%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

He was atrocious on the Canucks last year. Maybe he just needs time to put it together, there were definitely games where he was good, but I'm also glad he ain't on my team any more