Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
is there any decent tutorial to learn about classes? I've just been doing whatever and taking certifications as characters qualify, but it looks like I'm leaving a lot on the table

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Oh, it's also worth noting that the way the game tracks RNG is very very weird. I got a 5% crit with Annette on a monster I didn't want to kill yet because of the shield break bonus, so I reloaded and switched to another character that also had a 5% crit and they got it too

indigi posted:

is there any decent tutorial to learn about classes? I've just been doing whatever and taking certifications as characters qualify, but it looks like I'm leaving a lot on the table

https://fireemblem.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Skills_in_Fire_Emblem:_Three_Houses

Skills learned is the most important class factor once you know what weapon you want. There's functional differences like riding horses or flying units, but otherwise the difference between classes is stat growth (not important), bonuses to skill EXP gained (if you need the skill to change to the class, you get bonus EXP), skills, and skills learned

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Aug 11, 2019

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ya if you have a 50% chance to fail certification and reload after failing you will never pass. I think it does the same thing XCOM does

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ya if you have a 50% chance to fail certification and reload after failing you will never pass. I think it does the same thing XCOM does

Fucks you over in the bottom of the 9th when you need your sniper to clutch and he fires into the ground instead?

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

^^^

At least Fire Emblem never has a moment of, "Oh the new recruit panicked and dropped a grenade in the airplane. Good game. "

The Duchess Smackarse posted:

Dedue is the only worthy character and everyone else belongs in the grave

:same:

Dedue, I will be so sad when I cant have him hanging out with me on a different house playthrough.

waah fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 11, 2019

Bruc
May 30, 2006
Does everything in a character's inventorys weight effect attack speed or only stuff you have equipped?.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Lorenz has been handily outmatched as a cavalry unit by Leonie. Which is canon in all versions of this game's story.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Bruc posted:

Does everything in a character's inventorys weight effect attack speed or only stuff you have equipped?.

Only what's currently equipped.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Bruc posted:

Should just be equipped stuff since it changes based on what you attack with.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Has gardening been solved yet? Hubert needs Albinean Berries and I have no idea what grows them

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

rannum posted:

Has gardening been solved yet? Hubert needs Albinean Berries and I have no idea what grows them

Mixed fruit seeds.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

ROFL Octopus posted:

I don’t know if there’s much of a reason to go Holy Knight over Bishop tbh. Any healer worth their salt has Physic and Holy Knight loses out on White Magic Uses x2.

My ferdinand turned from a paladin into a holy knight, who in conjuction with his passive and high speed statline could nosferatu tank like literally the entire map at once. It was pretty insane.

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
Lorenz.... How the heck do you use Lorenz? He has poo poo magic growth, and he has poo poo pure melee growth too.

I'm trying to use him as a mage but he kind of is really bad at it.

Lord Koth posted:

I do agree that in general Effective weapons of the Cavalry/Armor varieties are extremely rare and should probably be a bit more common.

Especially as combat arts that are effective are actually super common.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Lorenz is a physical attacker, why is he a mage?

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Radio Free Kobold posted:

edelgard is for

being killed, like any other Fire Emblem Antagonist would be :unsmigghh:

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Airspace posted:

being killed, like any other Fire Emblem Antagonist would be :unsmigghh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRmc9IPGmiA

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tae posted:

His Str and Mag growths are identical. His Res growth is actually better than his Def.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
My Lorenz finished as a Dark Knight with 32 str and 28 magic at level 41. He was okay. He could double and kill armored units with magic while tanking mages on the enemy phase (29 res) by tossing short spears. He was extremely slow, 22 speed, and frail physically, 17 defense. I just had to keep him away from 80% of the map.

If not for dancing, Flayn was easily the worst character in all three of my runs. All of her stock was in resistance and charm while finishing off with 15 speed and over 15 less magic than my other healers. At least half of my divine pulse charges were because I left her in range of a flyer than oneshots her.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

rannum posted:

of edelgard's route it's the one with judith & Leonie, he's next to Judith rather than showing up as reinforcements. I assume Raphael also shows up on that map if you didnt have him already.

Ah. For some reason whenever I see his name I think of the guy with the rose instead of the archer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Flayn has the stuff to be a pegasus knight when you get her, but is just so weak and loving terrible it's pointless.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Tae posted:

so you can realize your mistake later on and realize you've wasted a ton of potential stat growths in STR, forcing you to send him to remedial bandit-killing school

Lord Ephraim posted:

My Lorenz finished as a Dark Knight with 32 str and 28 magic at level 41. He was okay. He could double and kill armored units with magic while tanking mages on the enemy phase (29 res) by tossing short spears. He was extremely slow, 22 speed, and frail physically, 17 defense. I just had to keep him away from 80% of the map.

If not for dancing, Flayn was easily the worst character in all three of my runs. All of her stock was in resistance and charm while finishing off with 15 speed and over 15 less magic than my other healers. At least half of my divine pulse charges were because I left her in range of a flyer than oneshots her.
I'm currently trying to use Flayn because in Edelgard route, she's quite effective at wrecking your poo poo.

...Her main use is rescue-ing stronger attackers across desert terrain and the like. She doesn't even get psychic! Dorothea's a better healer than she is, and she's supposed to be the Dancer of this run.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

She gets Fortress or whatever the massive aoe heal is. Which is cool, except Linhardt exists.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!
I just finished my first only playthrough. Was going to side with Edelgard in the beginning, but that bullshit with her lame Flame Emperor act and the Slither in the Dark people made me switch to the Church route so I could burn it all to the ground. Took 63 hours, although I was overleveling my avatar unit which added to the time (80-90% crit chance had him handling entire groups by himself).

I'm not sure what the general consensus is on this game, either online or just on SA, but overall I was not especially impressed. The game itself was fine. It was Fire Emblem through and through. The story and characters on the other hand, I thought they were really weak. The S-ranked Marriage thing was pretty lazily shoe-horned in as well. It felt pretty hollow.

I'll probably be raked over the coals for this, but I enjoyed Awakening way more. I had more fun and was more attached to the characters.

The one positive I'll give is that I applaud them for not dividing the game up into three parts or some poo poo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Psycho Knight posted:

The story and characters on the other hand, I thought they were really weak.

those are like the strongest points of the game

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Your Computer posted:

those are like the strongest points of the game

The gently caress?! THAT is being considered a strong story?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
This game actually has really strong character writing and heck probably some of the best worldbuilding and lore and characterization in a decade

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
TBH, I'd agree that the storytelling is kind of weak, at least in the two routes I've played. The characters and background history and stuff are all interesting, but the actually execution of the story is pretty bad. Like, pacing and stuff.

Uh, the writing is mostly good, but the plotting is bad.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Psycho Knight posted:

The one positive I'll give is that I applaud them for not dividing the game up into three parts or some poo poo.

also I have some bad news for you

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

How did it take you 63 hours, did you forget to run or something

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013
So, on the topic of Budding Talents, Lysithea having sword feels kind of like a trap too? Mortal Savant has 6 movement compared to Warlock's 4 (but doesn't have double black magic), and has 6 movement to Gremory's 5 and has Black tomefair (but doesn't have double black or white magic). I can see really really wanting that movement, but it feels like a bad trade off, especially as LEvin Sword+ are not comparable to OP staff.

I guess getting her sword to B+ just to get that base 12/14 defence is pretty good though (also some strength for weight reduction).

Tae posted:

Shortest route took me like 90 hours so....

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I liked Awakening for what it was but to say that it had better characters is absolute nonsense. Outside of the main trio of Chrom, Robin, and Lucina, almost every character and support can essentially be boiled down to "let's talk about my wacky and endearing character trait!" And again, that's fine, because that's what they were going for. But it's not good.

3H has its weaknesses in the story and how it's told, but the vast majority of characters are fully realized, and have interesting interactions and prior connections that go beyond The One Thing I'm Known For. There are exceptions (Raphael) but they are few and far between.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

Your Computer posted:

also I have some bad news for you

Did they already talk about what that DLC is? Is that what you're hinting at?

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

This game actually has really strong character writing and heck probably some of the best worldbuilding and lore and characterization in a decade

Well, I guess Fire Emblem joins the short list of game series where I am firmly in the minority on which entries are good. I saw none of what you describe in this game. Certainly not in the Black Eagles/Church routes.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I liked Awakening for what it was but to say that it had better characters is absolute nonsense. Outside of the main trio of Chrom, Robin, and Lucina, almost every character and support can essentially be boiled down to "let's talk about my wacky and endearing character trait!" And again, that's fine, because that's what they were going for. But it's not good.

3H has its weaknesses in the story and how it's told, but the vast majority of characters are fully realized, and have interesting interactions and prior connections that go beyond The One Thing I'm Known For. There are exceptions (Raphael) but they are few and far between.

You have a vastly different view of "good" than I do. Listening to every character talk about nobles and crests is not interesting.

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Aug 12, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Arkeus posted:

So, on the topic of Budding Talents, Lysithea having sword feels kind of like a trap too? Mortal Savant has 6 movement compared to Warlock's 4 (but doesn't have double black magic), and has 6 movement to Gremory's 5 and has Black tomefair (but doesn't have double black or white magic). I can see really really wanting that movement, but it feels like a bad trade off, especially as LEvin Sword+ are not comparable to OP staff.

I guess getting her sword to B+ just to get that base 12/14 defence is pretty good though (also some strength for weight reduction).

Black Tomefaire doesn't apply to Lysithea anyway since she uses Dark Magic, not Black Magic.

Anyway, personally I made her a Mortal Savant instead of a Gremory just because I could, even though she doesn't really benefit from the class skills at all, but frankly I never ran out of magic anyway?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tae posted:

Lorenz is destined to become a Dark Knight, and depending on which growths he hits you can get him there through Mage and Warlock or through Cavalier and Paladin. His main thing is that he's one of few characters who has good Defense and good Resistance, and he's got high HP for a magic user as well.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
The church route is probably the most boring route, I finished it after my first run where I sided with Edelgard and I don’t remember anything that happened in it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
If anything I only trained Lysithea to C swords for vantage and it was dubious how often I used it anyway

Especially since (I think) Aegis and Pavise from Thrysus regularly hosed with my master plans to get her into vantage range

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love the faux medieval art for these cutscenes

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

yeah, I absolutely love how Three Houses flips it on its head because I fully expected all the characters to be one-note anime tropes just like Awakening (which they all are on the surface) but then you get to know them and they're all fantastic characters. :3:

Tae posted:

It took me like 70-something hours to do the shortest route, but I also recruited as many students as I possibly could, maxed out all supports (a lot of time spent on those), spent all the time I could eating lunch, drinking tea and fishing and exploring the monastery for junk lost items. For reference the time skip happened at pretty much exactly 50 hours

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Psycho Knight posted:

Well, I guess Fire Emblem joins the short list of game series where I am firmly in the minority on which entries are good. I saw none of what you describe in this game. Certainly not in the Black Eagles/Church routes.
i haven't played the entire church route but the parts i've seen didn't make seteth and rhea seem particularly relatable. perhaps that was an issue? otherwise i can't name a lot of other mainline fire emblem storylines--and attendant character arcs--that can bear a lot of scrutiny period.

Zane fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Arkeus posted:

Warlock and Mortal Savant's class skills do nothing for Lysithea, but unlocking Mortal Savant gives her a free strength boost and can sometimes patch up her defenses too. It's basically a stat booster that you get for raising your sword rank.