Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

eonwe posted:

I feel like early on I don't have nearly enough space to do what I need and everything ends up jammed together

That’s not always a bad thing. Up until recently my idea of a barracks was a 16 x 4 room, but then I realized (early game at least) 16 x 3 still lets me cram in plenty of decoration and saves 25% on the oxygen I need to make a comfy breathable atmosphere.

Also, every step a dupe takes adds up, so “jammed together” isn’t necessarily a bad thing - just put things dupes frequently go between (like super computers near water pumps, etc) to make things more efficient.

Edit: and keep things that make heat the gently caress away from your farms. Your dupes will sleep in sweltering / freezing conditions and more or less be okay, but your plants certainly can’t.

Literally Kermit fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I watched that video a while back about automating polluted oxygen purification with a loop and automation circuits in a chlorine chamber and it broke my brain trying to follow the automation. Also getting plastic sucks when you're at the point where you're building oxygen systems. So I made my own that's a lot simpler.

This is actually two tracks of polluted water purification, upper and lower, so that at any time there's water output to the rest of the system since it runs my oxygen generation. The important part is the two timer sensors at the bottom. They activate at 1% and 51% of the cycle (this avoids adding the automation calculation on to the daily lag spike in the morning) and last for 50% of the cycle. Alternate the automation input to the mechanized airlocks and the polluted water moves through one stage at a time. I think I over engineered it. Watching it in action it looks like four reservoirs still adds enough stages to each track to purify water entirely, but at this point I don't want to take it apart to fix that so whatever. Something to improve next time.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I found a chlorine geyser! What on earth should I do with such a thing.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tree Bucket posted:

I found a chlorine geyser! What on earth should I do with such a thing.

Clean up CainFortea's filthy base.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

The steam turbine approach is probably the only sane one. In the spoiler tags is the specific build I prefer. You need Obsidian, insulated tiles and at least 500kg of steel.

Encase the volcano in Obsidian Insulated Tiles, except one tile to the left or right of the neutronium base. Under that tile you have a steel mechanized airlock, halfway below the neutronium and where the magma's trapped. Then you extend that outward with at least three steel metal tiles to form a boiling chamber for the water for a steam turbine. If at least two steel metal tiles don't contact the water from below, you get efficiency issues which will clog it up. Then you create a 5x2 vacuum chamber with 5000kg of water that you build a temperature sensor in and a steam turbine on top of. The steam turbine's output is back to the chamber.

I tried something like this last time around and made a mess of it.

Can you confirm/deny this "diagram" matches your description?

...OOOOOO
...OVVVVO
...OVVVVO
...OVVVVO
MMMANNNNO
XXXA

(N)eutronium, (M)etal, (A)irlock, (O)bsidian Insulation

Does the heat transfer to the airlock happen diagonally? Or do you need a tempshift plate in the corner? Or did I totally misunderstand your description.

Suggested temperature setting for the sensor?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

RandomBlue posted:

Clean up CainFortea's filthy base.

Chlorine isn't as handy as many other gasses. But if you have easy access to chlorine gas then ore scrubbers are handy.

Also since you don't really care what happens to it you can use it for heat deletion. It's not a particularly good heat conductor, but what heat you can put into it you can just yeet that poo poo into space and you're not really losing anything you care too much about.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

CainFortea posted:

You can just build tempshift plates out of the ice itself. Cools an area down real good while it melts, and uses up a bunch of it.

that is a really good idea, I'll remember that!

I started a new Arborea map and was thinking I didn't like the layout (it's tall like a beer can, at least where I started) but what's this on the left hmm

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

CainFortea posted:

Chlorine isn't as handy as many other gasses. But if you have easy access to chlorine gas then ore scrubbers are handy.

Also since you don't really care what happens to it you can use it for heat deletion. It's not a particularly good heat conductor, but what heat you can put into it you can just yeet that poo poo into space and you're not really losing anything you care too much about.

Don’t listen to this guy, the real pro use is chill the chlorine into a liquid and pretend you are a mint chocolate milkshake factory

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Quinton posted:

I tried something like this last time around and made a mess of it.

Can you confirm/deny this "diagram" matches your description?

...OOOOOO
...OVVVVO
...OVVVVO
...OVVVVO
MMMANNNNO
XXXA

(N)eutronium, (M)etal, (A)irlock, (O)bsidian Insulation

Does the heat transfer to the airlock happen diagonally? Or do you need a tempshift plate in the corner? Or did I totally misunderstand your description.

Suggested temperature setting for the sensor?

Ya gotta leave a gap between the neutronium and the insulated tile. The magma / metal pools there and when it's at 150Cish you can toggle the airlock (with a pressure sensor) and get the metal. Also, the airlock is sideways.

OOOOOOO
OVVVVEO
OVVVVEOTURBINE
OVVVVEOOOOOOO
OVVVVEQ.....O
ONNNNEQ.....O
OOOOAAMMMQQQ

E's for empty. Q's for a metal tile that's questionable - better but not necessary. The boil chamber under the turbine needs at least 4000kg of water and can't have more than one type of gas in it... and loses a bunch of efficiency even with just one tile of non-steam gas so a vacuum is much better. The temp sensor in the boil chamber is optional and is for fine-tuning power and cooling and depends on your exact geyser.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
So I just spent 50 cycles doing some extravagant metal refinery ice lake melting setups, since mining ice in the vanilla game deletes 50% of the mass for some stupid reason. I just now realized that since I have the 100% mine mass mod, I could have just mined the ice lakes and done a metal refinery setup that didn't have to move. Oh well.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

endlessmonotony posted:

Ya gotta leave a gap between the neutronium and the insulated tile. The magma / metal pools there and when it's at 150Cish you can toggle the airlock (with a pressure sensor) and get the metal. Also, the airlock is sideways.

OOOOOOO
OVVVVEO
OVVVVEOTURBINE
OVVVVEOOOOOOO
OVVVVEQ.....O
ONNNNEQ.....O
OOOOAAMMMQQQ

E's for empty. Q's for a metal tile that's questionable - better but not necessary. The boil chamber under the turbine needs at least 4000kg of water and can't have more than one type of gas in it... and loses a bunch of efficiency even with just one tile of non-steam gas so a vacuum is much better. The temp sensor in the boil chamber is optional and is for fine-tuning power and cooling and depends on your exact geyser.

Someone's gotta have an actual screenshot of this setup?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

LegoMan posted:

Someone's gotta have an actual screenshot of this setup?

I followed the image and did this in sandbox right quick. I think it's correct.

edit: did a bit of live testing and the magma cooled to a solid tile of igneous rock.. the rest of it stayed on the volcano platform and the turbine barely heated up at all. added some tempshift plates and the turbine started up again, but then it got too hot and lol.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Aug 12, 2019

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It's correct. Now an optimal build would probably have a cooling device in the boil chamber, maybe boil chamber one higher... but yeah that's just fine-tuning.

The turbine cools to the environment and the amount of magma you have is way higher than you'd ever get on the cooling tile with the actual volcano.

... I've not actually done through testing with magma, but liquid metal cools down to non-tile forms.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

endlessmonotony posted:

It's correct. Now an optimal build would probably have a cooling device in the boil chamber, maybe boil chamber one higher... but yeah that's just fine-tuning.

The turbine cools to the environment and the amount of magma you have is way higher than you'd ever get on the cooling tile with the actual volcano.

... I've not actually done through testing with magma, but liquid metal cools down to non-tile forms.

Actually, that's how much magma the volcano put out during its initial eruption. Volcano info is here, if you want to check.

quote:

Eruption rate: 252.23 kg/s at 1726.85°C

Erupts for 78s every 10103s

Active for 77.3 cycles every 118.4 cycles

Calculated average output: 1.27 kg/s
19,656kg per eruption, every 16.8 cycles.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Aug 12, 2019

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Okay yeah I ran a preheated test on a volcano and nope.

That sure chokes in the exact way you described.

Works fine on all metal volcanoes I've found thus far but a regular one just can't cool the magma fast enough to avoid it solidifying into blocks.

EDIT: For context, I ran the test for about ten eruptions on the metal volcano but just the once with a regular volcano and yeah on a heated setup it misbehaves exactly like that. It still works, you just gotta dig it out, but it's not exactly optimal.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Aug 12, 2019

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Looked again at mods today and wanted to highlight this guy's work:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1830656006

Almost everything there is either very cool or a great QoL thing and only a couple feel unbalanced or "cheaty". I grabbed almost his entire list. Only big thing I skipped was double sweeper range because as an area double that’s a bit much.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Aug 12, 2019

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Ambaire posted:

I followed the image and did this in sandbox right quick. I think it's correct.

edit: did a bit of live testing and the magma cooled to a solid tile of igneous rock.. the rest of it stayed on the volcano platform and the turbine barely heated up at all. added some tempshift plates and the turbine started up again, but then it got too hot and lol.

I actually did some research on this yesterday in sandbox/debug since my current map has this feature. And also because I am a giant nerd.

I'm pretty sure this is the optimal setup:

Brothgar did a video which tries to make a more compact setup but it seems to be very dependent on some finicky priming, whereas this one you can just dump gobs of magma down there and it seems to sort itself out. If it really gets overwhelmed the magma will start to solidify into blocks, but it will eventually melt and turn into sweepable chunks again. The single aquatuner seems to keep up with the cooling demands just fine. I tried putting it in the main boiler chamber but even a steel one overheats. The tempshift plates are made out of diamond, and the two metal tiles are steel. Obviously the insulated tiles are obsidian.

I am very excited to have a permanent 1700 watts when I get this all built out in my actual game. Hopefully I can do so without killing anybody!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

TehSaurus posted:

Likely for extracting energy. Mine's designed around being early game containment and the base I made it for used it to harness a gold volcano, so there's some problems with major/minor volcanoes it seems.

It's hardly perfect for the metal volcanoes either, but it's fast to build and reasonably efficient. The only thing taking a lot of time is making sure the boil chamber gets a vacuum or at least close to one.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

Likely for extracting energy. Mine's designed around being early game containment and the base I made it for used it to harness a gold volcano, so there's some problems with major/minor volcanoes it seems.

It's hardly perfect for the metal volcanoes either, but it's fast to build and reasonably efficient. The only thing taking a lot of time is making sure the boil chamber gets a vacuum or at least close to one.

Oh yeah - the setup I shared is absolutely not for minor/metal volcanoes. The one you posted for those is close enough to optimal that I didn't really try to improve on it.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I'm almost at Cycle 150 with the first base I've stuck with this long, and my base's core temperature is creeping inexorably towards 30 degrees (no thanks to the two(!) active geysers immediately outside my starting biome with no abyssalite insulation in between) so I'm thinking about taking cooling measures. My understanding of heat is that it doesn't go away, only spreads out, with the exception of wheezeworts, the AETN, steam turbines, and venting things into space. I've got a dozen wheezewort on hand, which I've sprinkled about my base as an interim measure, and I was thinking about setting them all up together in a sealed room with some radiant pipes and circulating liquid or gas past them. There's also an AETN within reach, though I don't have a source of hydrogen to hand I suppose I could run it off an electrolyzer? I also have juuust enough plastic from my dreckos for a steam turbine, and the geyser right under my base is 'cool' steam. Basically, I'm paralyzed by choice. What's your favorite early cooling solution?

Also, what are the best materials to use for various things? I recognize this is a broad question but now that I've mastered the caustic, slime and ice biomes I have a ton of material available and it's not totally clear what should be saved for what.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wall off the geysers with insulation if you're having problems with heat.

You can also do things like burning hot hydrogen which simply destroys it and the heat it contains, but you would likely need to spend energy pumping the heat into it.

Cool steam geysers afaik do not have the ability to run a turbine unless you pump more heat into them to raise the steam temperature. Also an open loop design is going to probably be harder because it's still going to output hot water, which will heat your base up a lot. I would generally suggest that the best use for a cool steam vent would be to electrolyse it, separate the output gases, gas tune the oxygen into the hydrogen, then burn the hydrogen, net product being usable temperature oxygen in exchange for power.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Aug 12, 2019

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Wall off the geysers with insulation if you're having problems with heat.

You can also do things like burning hot hydrogen which simply destroys it and the heat it contains.

Insulation at this point will be pointless, since the heat is already in the base.

As an interim measure you can do things like build tempshift plates out of ice, but this will take dupe labor to clean up afterwards.

Or the ice machine + ice fan is actually heat negative, but you're spending dupe labor.

https://i.imgur.com/XumlU5O.jpg

You only need 4.8 wobuffets to cool down the output of oxygen from electrolyzers down to 0C. I do 5 because of machine heat as well, and have space to add more.

I have two rooms like this, though only 1 electrolyzer per room is active right now as i'm having a "too cold" problem in most of my base.

Edit: Also, just using insulation tiles is at best a stop gap measure. You can't make your base totally heat separate but if you put a vacuum space between your base walls and a giant container wall then that's the best you can do to stop environmental heat seepage.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the whole base is above 100 degrees that's another problem, but otherwise trying to cool the base down while still letting steam vent into it seems like needless diffculty.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
Cool steam vents aren't hot enough to run a turbine, but you can counter-intuitively make them favorable by heating further with an aquatuner. I can't keep it stable with a gold-amalgam aquatuner, so I always use steel. Maybe it would work in a highly conductive box full of oil.

Anyway, the build would be to put a steel aquatuner right next to the cool steam vent, and only enable the aquatuner itself if the pressure is above 1kg in the room. Put a full 5-port steam turbine above it, and use the 95C output water from the turbine into your base (likely, electrolyzers). Make sure you use a bridge, with an overflow back into a liquid vent into the cool steam vent room. You can skip the SPOM setup if you use mechanical separation of hydrogen with the one-tile gap, and use granite pipes through granite blocks with p-water cycling around your base. Cool this p-water with the aquatuner that's in the steam room. Use automation to bypass the aquatuner if the water will freeze.

Cool steam vent heat + aquatuner heat will be enough to run the turbine. The turbine will keep up with them just fine, but don't let the output back up. The cold water cycling around your base will fix the hot oxygen problem. The excess hydrogen + steam turbine output MAY be enough to run the system, especially once the latent heat in your base has been extracted, but you'll probably need to bootstrap with coal.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

You can feed Wheezeworts from below?!

:aaaaa:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You can feed anything below!

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Travic posted:

You can feed Wheezeworts from below?!

:aaaaa:

Yup!

Now don't ask me about the 500 cycles I spent with them in hydroponic tiles because I thought they needed water, and having to repair the pipes every so often.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
Trying my first Oceania asteroid and heat management is becoming a challenge. 100 cycles and the only cold biome I've found is a small one, just 3 wheezeworts and the place was already melted when I discovered it. Also there's a bunch of 100 degree obsidian just below me so I assume I'm smack on top of a volcano.

Is this standard for Oceania or just luck of the draw?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I just took a gander at 3 random oceania maps and the starting zone is either directly on top of the oil biome, or one biome away from the oil biome so that seems normal.

But only having one frozen biome seems weird, each map should have 3 AETNs they only spawn in frozen biomes.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
After all that melting ice chat I had to see what a basketball sized 20t chunk of ice melts into, sometimes you gotta love the wonky not physics in this game.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have gobs and gobs of CO2 and I don't know what to do with it, gas reservoirs don't cut it. Do I stuff it in canisters and drop it in a hole or something?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Flesh Forge posted:

I have gobs and gobs of CO2 and I don't know what to do with it, gas reservoirs don't cut it. Do I stuff it in canisters and drop it in a hole or something?

You can get rid of it with the carbon skimmer. Or if have reached space just vent it into the vacuum

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

You can hollow out a cavern and use a high pressure vent to store it. You can double up on this space by filling the cavern with reservoirs as well.

Keeping it on hand can be handy for using later to feed to certain critters for crude oil.

Or you can heat the poo poo out of it and vent it into space.

But if you're going to use it for cooling, and you have a steady supply of water, turning into pwater with a skimmer and using it for cooling works much better.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.

CainFortea posted:

I just took a gander at 3 random oceania maps and the starting zone is either directly on top of the oil biome, or one biome away from the oil biome so that seems normal.

But only having one frozen biome seems weird, each map should have 3 AETNs they only spawn in frozen biomes.

I'm sure there are cold spots somewhere, just haven't found them yet, they're presumably further out. Thanks for doing the research.

I'm using this as an opportunity to practice heat management strategies: over here I've got a base full of perspiring duplicants, and over there I've got a lake of 8 degree C saltwater, and the challenge is to bring the coldness from the latter to the former. 100 cycles is usually the point where I get bored and restart, but this time I want to push through and maybe come out learning something new.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Mechanical Ape posted:

I'm sure there are cold spots somewhere, just haven't found them yet, they're presumably further out. Thanks for doing the research.

I'm using this as an opportunity to practice heat management strategies: over here I've got a base full of perspiring duplicants, and over there I've got a lake of 8 degree C saltwater, and the challenge is to bring the coldness from the latter to the former. 100 cycles is usually the point where I get bored and restart, but this time I want to push through and maybe come out learning something new.

Make a very long pipe snake through your entire base, with insulated pipe from the lake to your base. Attach it to a pump in the salt water. Put the output side on top of the lake. Turn the pump on. Eventually, the lake will warm up and your base will drop to the temperature of the lake+whatever.

Alternately, use bridges to make the water loop and continue the loop until the water and your base have equalized temperatures, then remove the bridges, let the water return to the lake and a fresh batch fill, and repeat.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

TehSaurus posted:

I actually did some research on this yesterday in sandbox/debug since my current map has this feature. And also because I am a giant nerd.

Brothgar did a video which tries to make a more compact setup but it seems to be very dependent on some finicky priming, whereas this one you can just dump gobs of magma down there and it seems to sort itself out. If it really gets overwhelmed the magma will start to solidify into blocks, but it will eventually melt and turn into sweepable chunks again. The single aquatuner seems to keep up with the cooling demands just fine. I tried putting it in the main boiler chamber but even a steel one overheats. The tempshift plates are made out of diamond, and the two metal tiles are steel. Obviously the insulated tiles are obsidian.

I am very excited to have a permanent 1700 watts when I get this all built out in my actual game. Hopefully I can do so without killing anybody!

Never played with steam turbines so I'm feeling kinda dumb looking at this. So magma comes down, heats up the tempshift plates and metal tile, transfers to the first chamber to make steam that powers the turbines. How does the steam/water get from the first turbines to, well, anywhere, and what happens after that? There's some things and then it somehow makes it's way back into that chamber from the water spouts afterwards? Does it come out of a turbine as water instead of steam and then get pumped over to the third one on the side there?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

You can get rid of it with the carbon skimmer. Or if have reached space just vent it into the vacuum

Should have thought of that but I am a bit stuck on lack of fresh water right now, have to do something about that. Basically i didn't plan this very well at all, I blew all my clean water on research for stuff I can't make (rocketry and high pressure vents)

Good suggestion, thanks

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

bird food bathtub posted:

Never played with steam turbines so I'm feeling kinda dumb looking at this. So magma comes down, heats up the tempshift plates and metal tile, transfers to the first chamber to make steam that powers the turbines. How does the steam/water get from the first turbines to, well, anywhere, and what happens after that? There's some things and then it somehow makes it's way back into that chamber from the water spouts afterwards? Does it come out of a turbine as water instead of steam and then get pumped over to the third one on the side there?

The steam turbines have an output port for liquid water, and I've routed both back to the left hand steam chamber. The right hand chamber is only there to cool the two steam turbines on the left. You could replace it with any cooling loop so long as it does something like half an aquatuner worth of cooling.

I've also got a shutoff on the cooling loop so that it doesn't go overboard. Other setups seem to prefer using airlocks as thermocouples or to limit the amount of steam going into your turbines but I don't like the aesthetics of those approaches. Although I may mess around with them before this project is done!

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

Might I recommend slicksters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Alternatively in the short-term, carbon skimmers.