Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I liked Awakening for what it was but to say that it had better characters is absolute nonsense. Outside of the main trio of Chrom, Robin, and Lucina, almost every character and support can essentially be boiled down to "let's talk about my wacky and endearing character trait!" And again, that's fine, because that's what they were going for. But it's not good.

3H has its weaknesses in the story and how it's told, but the vast majority of characters are fully realized, and have interesting interactions and prior connections that go beyond The One Thing I'm Known For. There are exceptions (Raphael) but they are few and far between.

This isn't totally accurate for either game. Both have a ton of characters who boil down to their sole gimmick in supports, but even the Awakening characters have supports that fall outside of that and in 3 Houses there are a lot of characters that repeat the same thing over and over in supports (Bernadetta, Raphael, Felix, Lorenz, Hubert etc. I'm looking at you)

Ultimately the smaller cast and interstitial scenes help the 3 houses people a lot since they actually get writing reacting to the main story which was always historically an issue with non main characters.

And I also still think Awakening is my favorite even if I also think 3 Houses is good :shrug:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
just lmao if you don't make every character possible a Mortal Savant. Weeb strike force represent

Psycho Knight posted:

Did they already talk about what that DLC is? Is that what you're hinting at?
no, I'm just talking about the different routes. You're not getting the full story from a single route.

Psycho Knight posted:

You have a vastly different view of "good" than I do. Listening to every character talk about nobles and crests is not interesting.
:yikes:

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I liked Awakening for what it was but to say that it had better characters is absolute nonsense. Outside of the main trio of Chrom, Robin, and Lucina, almost every character and support can essentially be boiled down to "let's talk about my wacky and endearing character trait!" And again, that's fine, because that's what they were going for. But it's not good.

idk, the characters in Awakening were charmingly written and did have a decent amount of depth to them; the issue is just that since everyone has to support with everyone of the opposite gender everything's spread way too thin; i'd say if you only looked at each character's meatiest supports they'd hold up quality-wise with the rest of the series

Psycho Knight posted:

You have a vastly different view of "good" than I do. Listening to every character talk about nobles and crests is not interesting.

man the game's plot definitely has issues but this is an incredibly reductive take imo. the supports cover a pretty wide variety of topics, and even the people with the most prominent "gimmicks" (like bernie or sylvain) develop or have conversations that break the mold; and it's so easy to build support in this game that you're basically guaranteed to see them all, too

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Zore posted:

This isn't totally accurate for either game. Both have a ton of characters who boil down to their sole gimmick in supports, but even the Awakening characters have supports that fall outside of that and in 3 Houses there are a lot of characters that repeat the same thing over and over in supports (Bernadetta, Raphael, Felix, Lorenz, Hubert etc. I'm looking at you)

to be fair to bernie, you usually get her c supports all at the same time, then the b's, etc; which makes it feel more like she's actually developing over time rather than being a Yarne that learns the same lesson in every single one of his supports

and even she has her Alois and Byleth supports that completely bypass her gimmick

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Seems like you just wanted a traditional FE story, in which you should've picked blue lions

instead of crests, they just talk about the bad, black doodoo

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Arkeus posted:

So, on the topic of Budding Talents, Lysithea having sword feels kind of like a trap too? Mortal Savant has 6 movement compared to Warlock's 4 (but doesn't have double black magic), and has 6 movement to Gremory's 5 and has Black tomefair (but doesn't have double black or white magic). I can see really really wanting that movement, but it feels like a bad trade off, especially as LEvin Sword+ are not comparable to OP staff.

I guess getting her sword to B+ just to get that base 12/14 defence is pretty good though (also some strength for weight reduction).

I gave lysithea a C rank in swords because she already had the stat requirements for Gremory by the end of part 1. She never really uses the levin sword, but I like the way it looks, so I'll attack with it now and again.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So am I ever deploying more then ten at a time?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i think it rises to like, 12 for the last few maps

certainly was the case for golden deer endgame

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i think it rises to like, 12 for the last few maps

certainly was the case for golden deer endgame

Well that's lame

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Dimitri was a really good character and I'm not ragging on him in comparison, but my god Claude is so loving refreshing as an FE protag. He's just so loving sane and chill about everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sydin posted:

Dimitri was a really good character and I'm not ragging on him in comparison, but my god Claude is so loving refreshing as an FE protag. He's just so loving sane and chill about everything.

"Sigh, I'm crazy and losing it here."
"Not me, I'm smart and goddamn sane!"

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Sydin posted:

I dunno how Dmitri is typical either, like most FE lords are poised and the straight man that occasionally get angry, not "Speak before I break your neck"

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah honestly Claude is probably the most typical overall protagonist. Which isn't to say he's a bad character or anything, but he's definitely in the same mold as like Robin while Dimitri and Edelgard are both character types that are basically always antagonists in FE

Edelgard is the obvious Arvis/Zephiel/Lyon etc and Dimitri is the chapter 5 bandit boss who really wants to murder that goddamn village :v:

Zore fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 12, 2019

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Been avoiding the thread for spoilers so sorry if these questions have already been asked.

If I give a +movement item to someone, is it permanent across all classes I might use? Or does it apply to the current class only? For example if I give it to Dedue as a Fortress Knight bumping him from 4 to 5, but later make him a Great Knight or something, does it carry forward or will his movement be the base of the Great Knight?

The one thing I don't really like about the game and am already dreading on future play throughs are the lost items. Are they that significant of a boost? I'd like to just ignore them entirely. Has anyone figured out how they compare to gifts?

I'm no Fire Emblem expert, but it's been pretty easy so far on Normal/Classic. I'm 40 hours in on my first playthrough and only had someone die to some bullshit in the fog on a paralogue, but saved with the rewind. ( Had Dedue go after a lone spellcaster, then 3x more spawned and hit him for 11x6 :rolleyes: ) Might have to bump up the difficulty on the next house.

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Tae posted:

I dunno how Dmitri is typical either, like most FE lords are poised and the straight man that occasionally get angry, not "Speak before I break your neck"

Dimitri is incredibly typical marth esque lord before he snaps, and mostly reverts to that after rodrigue bites it.

He's all 'murder is bad' and 'fight honorably' and 'dont involve innocents'

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

claude is the least broken human being out of the three though of course he still grapples with issues relating to who he is

and having started my blue lions run i'm definitely anticipating how the story handles dimitri's struggles with his mental health

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

Been avoiding the thread for spoilers so sorry if these questions have already been asked.

If I give a +movement item to someone, is it permanent across all classes I might use? Or does it apply to the current class only? For example if I give it to Dedue as a Fortress Knight bumping him from 4 to 5, but later make him a Great Knight or something, does it carry forward or will his movement be the base of the Great Knight?

Movement boosters keep applying through class changes yeah.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

A question for everyone: aside from the house leaders/their 2nd in command, who did you find to be ridiculously good?
Catherine/Lysithea/Felix are kind of obvious, but I also found that Ferdinand wrecks everyone's poo poo if you put him on a dragon instead of a horse

RBA Starblade posted:

So am I ever deploying more then ten at a time?
pretty much always 10 aside from the last couple maps, yeah
presumably so people don't go crazy with recruitment - the class + you equals 9, so you can only get one or two extras before it gets a little cumbersome.

Sydin posted:

one thing I really like about Claude is that, during Edelgard's route, I'd see a lore/background thing, or have a question, and go "hmmm" and then move on. Claude is right there "hmmm"-ing along with me. I appreciate it!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

katkillad2 posted:

It's permanent.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

A question for everyone: aside from the house leaders/their 2nd in command, who did you find to be ridiculously good?
Catherine/Lysithea/Felix are kind of obvious, but I also found that Ferdinand wrecks everyone's poo poo if you put him on a dragon instead of a horse

pretty much always 10 aside from the last couple maps, yeah
presumably so people don't go crazy with recruitment - the class + you equals 9, so you can only get one or two extras before it gets a little cumbersome.

one thing I really like about Claude is that, during Edelgard's route, I'd see a lore/background thing, or have a question, and go "hmmm" and then move on. Claude is right there "hmmm"-ing along with me. I appreciate it!

I’ve decided that since I want to play all the routes, I’m not recruiting people outside the teachers and other freebies until my last route. (So I have new characters and supports to work with for 3/4 routes.)

It allows me to run my class + dancer!Flayn + Seteth, which feels like a good number. And flyers are always good.

I also like how lonely and melancholy it makes the monastery feel. It’s just us versus the world, and that’s kinda cool.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Zore posted:

Yeah honestly Claude is probably the most typical overall protagonist. Which isn't to say he's a bad character or anything, but he's definitely in the same mold as like Robin while Dimitri and Edelgard are both character types that are basically always antagonists in FE

Edelgard is the obvious Arvis/Zephiel/Lyon etc and Dimitri is the chapter 5 bandit boss who really wants to murder that goddamn village :v:

Edelgard is Ashnard but less overtly crazy and Darwinian about it. In the BL route Dimitri straight up calls out Edelgard over how even if her plan went off exactly how she wants it to, it would only benefit those who are strongest of will, with everybody else getting crushed underfoot in the process of creating her ideal world.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

on my golden deer run i got badly speed screwed with units who otherwise would have been really strong (hilda, leonie), though they still both managed over 100 kills over the course of the run

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Annette and Dedue have 25 mag/str, dear lord

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

another question

where the gently caress do you get mythril?

my first playthrough I got a named weapon drop from a giant beast, but could never use it because professor level was too low. This time, I got another named weapon, but I'm lacking in mithril. I'd hate to miss out on a good weapon again.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

another question

where the gently caress do you get mythril?

my first playthrough I got a named weapon drop from a giant beast, but could never use it because professor level was too low. This time, I got another named weapon, but I'm lacking in mithril. I'd hate to miss out on a good weapon again.

you get them if you break the armor on giant bird monsters

i only got enough of them to forge gradivus for endgame

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

you get them if you break the armor on giant bird monsters

i only got enough of them to forge gradivus for endgame
Wellp gently caress that
I'd put in the effort if inventory carried over to later cycles, but alas

You'd think they'd just add the ability to purchase upgrade materials in NG+, but no

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Which chapter has the Eagles choice?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

JBP posted:

Which chapter has the Eagles choice?

the one at the end of february. make sure you talk with edelgard during that month's exploration, too - it'll cut the day short so make sure you spend your points and poo poo beforehand.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lol I completely blanked it I guess

I have a save at 2/29 but Edelgard just stormed off and now I've got all the loving knights and poo poo in my team defending the castle. Ah well I might have a rest from this game now.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Sydin posted:

Edelgard is Ashnard but less overtly crazy and Darwinian about it. In the BL route Dimitri straight up calls out Edelgard over how even if her plan went off exactly how she wants it to, it would only benefit those who are strongest of will, with everybody else getting crushed underfoot in the process of creating her ideal world.

losers always say stuff like that though

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

indigi posted:

Dimitri is a winner though.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

indigi posted:

Also a hell of a thing for a monarchist to say to anyone.

JBP posted:

Dimitri is a winner though.

Nah, even when he wins he's a prat.

Edit: in a lot of ways he's the traditional fantasy story hero, but the flaws of that trope stand out like a sore thumb in the slightly more nuanced setting of this game. Let Dedue be the king.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 12, 2019

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Man I can't wait for Lunatic to come out because I'm definitely playing the Golden Deer route again on the new difficulty, that route owned and I want to hang out with my dumb Deer children some more

Unrelated: is it just me or does this game have a lot of the same translation issues Persona 5 did? There's a lot of awkward phrasing or very insistent word choices (Claude's obsession with "schemes" reminds me of Ryuji's constant talk about "aesthetics") that really smacks of overly literal translation in places. I wonder if this is just something I notice more after playing Persona 5 or something like that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 12, 2019

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Blaziken386 posted:

Ferdinand was a pincushion early on for me but he's turned it around post timeskip. my MVPs are Petra and Bernie, though. Petra can one shot most units since she's an A in bow and sword, and does really well avoiding hits. I got Bernie's Lance up and stuck her on a horse and she's like a Mongol in the field. a bit fragile against heavy armored units but still able to take a couple hits

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Harrow posted:

Man I can't wait for Lunatic to come out because I'm definitely playing the Golden Deer route again on the new difficulty, that route owned and I want to hang out with my dumb Deer children some more

Unrelated: is it just me or does this game have a lot of the same translation issues Persona 5 did? There's a lot of awkward phrasing or very insistent word choices (Claude's obsession with "schemes" reminds me of Ryuji's constant talk about "aesthetics") that really smacks of overly literal translation in places. I wonder if this is just something I notice more after playing Persona 5 or something like that.

It's not as bad as Persona 5, but it's just something you notice about any translation once you start to pay attention.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

It's not as bad as Persona 5, but it's just something you notice about any translation once you start to pay attention.

I will one day have my revenge on the person who first pointed out "it cant be helped" because it is honestly a phrase I would never ever think twice about but now I zero in on it every single time

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I would also like to note that Ferdinand uses no contractions ever and this absolutely destroys me.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Is it possible to "bank" support points until you read someone's ranks? Due to unforseen circumstances, I neglected to get Hanneman B rank before the last free week of the edelgard route and because of the dumb decision to only let you view supports while you're in the monastery screens my plan to auxillary battle my way through her & hubert's remaining supports I'm thinking I wont be able to see their a rank

the one blemish on my support log

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

rannum posted:

Is it possible to "bank" support points until you read someone's ranks? Due to unforseen circumstances, I neglected to get Hanneman B rank before the last free week of the edelgard route and because of the dumb decision to only let you view supports while you're in the monastery screens my plan to auxillary battle my way through her & hubert's remaining supports I'm thinking I wont be able to see their a rank

the one blemish on my support log

depends on if hanneman's B support is locked to pre-timeskip i guess? like the support points will still grow, like for my byleth and lysithea, they got their B rank in like chapter 7 or 8 or something, but they stopped gaining support points before the timeskip even hit; then their A support didn't unlock until after chapter 17 of golden deer, and immediately after getting that i checked and saw that they already had enough points to get S rank at the end of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Skippy McPants posted:

Edit: in a lot of ways he's the traditional fantasy story hero, but the flaws of that trope stand out like a sore thumb in the slightly more nuanced setting of this game. Let Dedue be the king.

I still want a route where Dedue gets vengeance for the genocide of his people