Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ola posted:

Knowing my older relatives, this has probably saved Facebook about five hundred million annual man hours of support.

Yeah it doesn't really increase the bruteforce attack surface (unless they have a filter that renders passwords entirely case insensitive) so for facebook it's probably a smart idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

zergstain posted:

I knew my bank didn't support 2FA, but I just learned that the password is case-insensitive. I've been banking online with them for at least 15 years. Apparently none of the Canadian banks support 2FA.

Do you trust your bank's mobile app? My bank is TD Canada Trust and they keep pestering me to install and use their mobile app. I have absolutely nothing money related on the phone (no google pay methods, nothing) since I really don't trust Android as a platform. But I do have 2 2FA applications that I use for other services. So I guess, I do trust the platform somewhat for some things. The bank though, they keep on bragging on how secure they are . Are they? Are they just blowing their own horn? Do people use the mobile app and are safe?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Dumb Lowtax posted:

We're a forum full of leftist activists who should in fact be very concerned about item #2 if history of law enforcement is anything to go by,

what the gently caress are you talking about

I thought that guy who was saying he'd been tracking you across the forums and you were a gimmick was being rather weird/unkind but I'm starting to feel like his assessment was accurate

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Volguus posted:

Do you trust your bank's mobile app? My bank is TD Canada Trust and they keep pestering me to install and use their mobile app. I have absolutely nothing money related on the phone (no google pay methods, nothing) since I really don't trust Android as a platform. But I do have 2 2FA applications that I use for other services. So I guess, I do trust the platform somewhat for some things. The bank though, they keep on bragging on how secure they are . Are they? Are they just blowing their own horn? Do people use the mobile app and are safe?

I use the mobile app fairly often. I'm not aware of any reason I shouldn't trust it, and it's improved a fair bit. When I first started using it, I had to change my password to one that didn't have special characters so I could sign into the app, but I think they fixed the issue years ago. I never changed my password since then. Perhaps I should in light of what I just learned.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Hammerite posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

So you pretty much just stick to one subforum here huh.

Well, that stuff is going on in other ones.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Password managers don't protect from every conceivable threat vector. Hell, law enforcement could subpoena your data straight from the service provider instead of getting your password to log in. But it's a pretty easy to use thing and it helps you stay safe from many of the most common ways of getting owned online.

I had gotten a bit slack with my password habits and typically reused a variation on a word + the site name. After seeing some password cracking and the lists that circulate online, I realized it was a good idea to change habits before they got around to my habit. With billions of dollars up for grabs by stealing bitcoin, people have gotten really clever about cracking passwords. They don't just blindly brute force, but catalogue typical password habits learned from leaked databases and write tons and tons of creative password pattern generators which they then pour over uncracked hashes on ludicrous cracking rigs. You can run machine learning on aggregated leaks to generate patterns too. Hashtag favorite football team birth year exclamation mark, you might be in trouble.

With 2FA, you could just store your password as your Facebook profile name and nobody would be able to log in, in theory. But you never know what the next big bad thing is. Maybe there is some really bad leak or some vulnerability that'll bypass Gmail 2FA, maybe something the government has demanded and some criminals have found out. And I've reused my Gmail password with a popular variation pattern on popularsite.com, who stored their passwords in cleartext, which some script kiddie sold to a Russian guy for $5, which ended up included in a big Gmail attack. So given how easy it is to use both a password manager and 2FA, belts and suspenders for me please.

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Edit:how the hell did I post that to this thread in the phone app

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Computer passwords were made for securing a single non networked machine in a lab where everyone knew each other.

Also the legal system has no right to treat memory as identity.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

hyphz posted:

Also the legal system has no right to treat memory as identity.

Huh?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

No amount of password protection should ever satisfy a requirement to verify identity, or relate to “identity theft”, because passwords test only memory not identity.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
just use 1pw

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I discovered an old table at work called Data. I was ready to be grumpy, but it's actually a great table name! It doesn't need a more specific name, because it stores all kinds of data - you just set the right name in the data name column and then you put whatever's appropriate in the data value column. It's perfect!

I kid, of course. It's bad, but it's legacy. We know it's bad! But it's old, and you gotta be slow and methodical about ripping that stuff out. We are phasing it out, though.

With DataNew.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Who needs named tables. Hell, let's get rid of tables altogether and just have one table with one row and one column that's all you data in one big json object. Much simpler, and you don't have to worry about converting for the front end.

E: No need to differentiate updates types in your events either. Just let clients know the model is dirty and they can download the whole blob again.

Joda fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 11, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Joda posted:

Who needs named tables. Hell, let's get rid of tables altogether and just have one table with one row and one column that's all you data in one big json object. Much simpler, and you don't have to worry about converting for the front end

:radcat:

Forget the database, just store everything client side. Which client, you may ask? Yes.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Joda posted:

Hell, let's get rid of tables altogether and just have one table with one row and one column that's all you data in one big json object. Much simpler, and you don't have to worry about converting for the front end.

Burn the heretic mongodb dev

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

not sure why you can't just use csv files for everything

well not actual csv, you of course want to homegrow that stuff with your own custom-made file headers and use multiple types of separators to signify different things

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

:radcat:

Forget the database, just store everything client side. Which client, you may ask? Yes.

CouchDB on the backend, PouchDB on the frontend

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If illuminated manuscripts were good enough back then, they're good enough now.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

raminasi posted:

I discovered an old table at work called Data. I was ready to be grumpy, but it's actually a great table name! It doesn't need a more specific name, because it stores all kinds of data - you just set the right name in the data name column and then you put whatever's appropriate in the data value column. It's perfect!

I suggest this format for your Data columns in the database, a newline separated, key/value system, Eg.

code:
key=value
foo=a
bar=b
Then, later you can extend it to store JSON. Eg.

code:
key={"another_key": "another_value", "a_third_key": "a value \n\n with two newlines in it"}
foo=a
bar=b
JOINs are expensive, and this proprietary system that I really shouldn't be disclosing offers lof of benefitsopportunities.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

ultrafilter posted:

If illuminated manuscripts were good enough back then, they're good enough now.

Just had a real Canticle for Liebowitz flashback rn

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Joda posted:

Who needs named tables. Hell, let's get rid of tables altogether and just have one table with one row and one column that's all you data in one big json object. Much simpler, and you don't have to worry about converting for the front end.

E: No need to differentiate updates types in your events either. Just let clients know the model is dirty and they can download the whole blob again.

In Postgres you can use basically any character in table names. Including emoji.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Disambiguating table names can be quite difficult when they're ALL called "poop emoji" though

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Sagacity posted:

Disambiguating table names can be quite difficult when they're ALL called "poop emoji" though

naming your tables after what's in them is widely considered to be good practice

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

redleader posted:

naming your tables after what's in them is widely considered to be good practice

:vince:

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer
Table names should be plural
So
Poop emoji
Or
Poops emoji?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
peep emoji

it's like shoop -> sheep

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The names should be 1 - 7, based on how loose the constraints are on the Bristol stool scale

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

dick traceroute posted:

Table names should be plural

:wrong:

Table names should be singular, because tables should only hold 1 row. If you need more rows then make more tables with the same name and an index, so poop_emoji_1, poop_emoji_2, etc

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I'm adapting an in-house software tool that's meant to be run on one machine to be run on all of our jenkins slaves. My boss keeps asking why I made this change or that and it's all I can do not to yell "Because this program runs on Moon Logic and I'm not going to spend the effort to rewrite it."

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Post some of the lunar logic

canis minor
May 4, 2011

redleader posted:

Having been working in a company where tables were named poop, rear end and god, I approve this

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

canis minor posted:

Having been working in a company where tables were named poop, rear end and god, I approve this

Blessed schema

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Namespaces should be in singular. Meet you at the playground after school if you disagree, so that my dad can beat up your dad.

dick traceroute
Feb 24, 2010

Open the pod bay doors, Hal.
Grimey Drawer

Cuntpunch posted:

Namespaces should be in singular. Meet you at the playground after school if you disagree, so that my dad can beat up your dad.

The singular namespace, as in, only one, called 💩

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

dbo.Peoples

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

Ruggan posted:

dbo.Peoples

dbo.plebes

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
The singular namespace: public static void main string args.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Real question, why should table names be plural? My OO brain thinks of table definitions as type definitions so to me singular name make the most sense.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

a table name is more akin to a variable name than to a type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
i think of it as like "get an employee from the big ol' list of employees" or whatever, but singular vs plural table names is as old a debate as tabs vs spaces*, and as likely to be resolved by a debate on an internet funny forum

* do NOT start this one again