Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

I spent six months on a salt boat. Hauling salt. In bulk.

Salt doesn’t smell, but it makes your gear crinkle. It’s been almost ten years and my winter coveralls still don’t fold right.

The guys on coal fired ships say it melted their clothes off their backs from the sulfur

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Neat, never knew this. That's definitely not the aircraft carrier smell, which is a mix of paint, JP-5, lubricating oil, non-skid coating, BO, nicotine, and farts.

When I was a volunteer at the Midway Museum and my mother visited me she said the smell of my work clothes reminded her immediately of the years my dad spent on the TR in the 80s. Same drat smell.

FWIW, that's CGN smell, as well. Stepping foot on pretty much any ship museum is an olfactory flashback trigger.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The "submarine smell" is a chemical compound, specifically amine. Amine is used in the carbon dioxide scrubbers, and the smell is prevalent throughout the hull, regardless if the submarine is surfaced or submerged. If you walk on top of a submarine and and stand over/look down the hatch the smell will waft up and hit you in the face. The chemical traces permeate clothing, so if you return home after working on a submarine and toss your clothes in a pile, that pile will smell like "submarine" so much so to the extent that housemates, girlfriends, and spouses that have never been on a submarine know what they smell like.

Things may have changed since I got out in '12, but I doubt it. When I was stationed at NRMD I had the opportunity to visit about 15-20 different submarines and they all had the distinct odor.

Subs smell way better than they used to when you could smoke on them. They used to smell like stale cigarettes, amine, and recycled farts. Now they just smell like amine and recycled farts.

Subs that have integrated crews smell like amine and recycled farts covered over with Axe body spray.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

King of Bees posted:

Thought this said anime and didn't have a second thought about it.

Literally same, unironically.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

FrozenVent posted:

I spent six months on a salt boat. Hauling salt. In bulk.

Salt doesn’t smell, but it makes your gear crinkle. It’s been almost ten years and my winter coveralls still don’t fold right.

Leave em in a bathtub full of water over night. Maybe a couple times. Should dissolve away the salt

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cerekk posted:

Subs smell way better than they used to when you could smoke on them. They used to smell like stale cigarettes, amine, and recycled farts. Now they just smell like amine and recycled farts.

Subs that have integrated crews smell like amine and recycled farts covered over with Axe body spray.

I got out right as the first two women officers were reporting to subs in Guam. I have heard that there are now submarines with enlisted women as well. Do they just retrofit and do one sub at a time and try to make the crew 50/50 or whatever, or are they sending just one or two women to each sub?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Madurai posted:

CGN smell

You're old.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I've been tricked by the navy once again! Capo seems like a...potentionally not great base.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Yeah, I was on the Lincoln and then precommed the Bush, and both of those had a very distinct and same Aircraft Carrier smell. In my mind, the smell of depression.

Lol that'd be four of us then (Lincoln).

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I got out right as the first two women officers were reporting to subs in Guam. I have heard that there are now submarines with enlisted women as well. Do they just retrofit and do one sub at a time and try to make the crew 50/50 or whatever, or are they sending just one or two women to each sub?

Most of them just have 3 or 4 officers and that's it. The ones with enlisted are retrofit to have separate female berthing and have just enough females to fill that berthing (25ish), plus the same 3-4 officers. The female chiefs are either sensible cross-rates (PS->YNS, CS->CSS, IT->ITS etc) or are nukes. The non-chief enlisted are new accessions (no cross-rates).

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

NO loving poo poo

My EAOS was in '92

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Madurai posted:

NO loving poo poo

My EAOS was in '92

If you had just stayed in a few more years you could have gotten the Spanish-American War campaign ribbon!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PneumonicBook posted:

I've been tricked by the navy once again! Capo seems like a...potentionally not great base.

Italy is what you make of it. Capo is, in fact, in the middle of nowhere, but don't let it get you down. Literally everywhere in the Navy is potentially not a great base. I know people that have volunteered for Diego Garcia because they love fishing and literally no other things. Other people hate the fact that you're two days from everything and hate every second of it. Almost the same story with: San Diego, Norfolk, Key West, Jacksonville, Great Lakes, USS Desert Ship, Bahrain, etc etc etc.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Italy is what you make of it. Capo is, in fact, in the middle of nowhere, but don't let it get you down. Literally everywhere in the Navy is potentially not a great base. I know people that have volunteered for Diego Garcia because they love fishing and literally no other things. Other people hate the fact that you're two days from everything and hate every second of it. Almost the same story with: San Diego, Norfolk, Key West, Jacksonville, Great Lakes, USS Desert Ship, Bahrain, etc etc etc.

poo poo.... Diego Garcia has great fishing? I dun hosed up.

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Wife just had our second kid today, a boy this time! Having a new baby while I'm doing CPO initiation is going to be... challenging

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Put baby in the box.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Do not/not haze baby

Dorstein
Dec 8, 2000
GIP VSO

FrozenVent posted:

Put baby in the box.

This seems like genius. Especially if you put the baby in crackerjacks.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I got stuck babysitting a CPO selects toddler because his wife was in the hospital and he just had to do his chief stuff. I just recall it being better than doing filing or whatever the NOSC had me doing for a couple of hours.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
This is a great opportunity to experience what one of our old Chiefs told my buddy when he was sent out on det when his wife was having their child, the Navy comes before your family and we all miss out on stuff. Namaste.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
The whole purpose of initiation is to force you to network, prioritize, and to ask for help when needed. Don't wait until you are drowning.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

tacopie posted:

The whole purpose of initiation is to force you to network, prioritize, and to ask for help when needed. Don't wait until you are drowning.

I thought it was just hazing and fake feelings of accomplishment through sleep deprivation and inane tasks followed by an invite into the tree fort full of people who consider it the greatest accomplishment they will ever achieve

Boy did I have that wrong!

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

DustyNuts posted:

Wife just had our second kid today, a boy this time! Having a new baby while I'm doing CPO initiation is going to be... challenging

Instead of the egg carton or egg or whatever you should literally carry the baby around and complain loudly about millennials and their feelings, having to wipe butts/noses, holding hands, and singing "kumbaya".

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

tacopie posted:

:chiefsay:

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

maffew buildings posted:

This is a great opportunity to experience what one of our old Chiefs told my buddy when he was sent out on det when his wife was having their child, the Navy comes before your family and we all miss out on stuff. Namaste.

Fortunately, that isn't how this command rolls. We turn off TAD trips for people within 30 days of a delivery date, and they can't deploy.

I'm taking 5 days now, and the rest after pinning.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

maffew buildings posted:

Was it his first wife? Because I'm pretty sure chiefs aren't allowed to be on their first marriage when they pin.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Stultus Maximus posted:

Was it his first wife? Because I'm pretty sure chiefs aren't allowed to be on their first marriage when they pin.

Partially checks out. Out of our group myself and another white dude we're divorced whereas religious white woman and chill Hispanic dude were still on first marriage

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

DustyNuts posted:

Fortunately, that isn't how this command rolls. We turn off TAD trips for people within 30 days of a delivery date, and they can't deploy.

Lol never heard of something so reasonable in the Navy.

Once upon a sea trial, I was working in the radio room on a CVN about to go to sea the next morning and we all had to be there the night before by 2200 or whatever. We're just going out for a few days to test poo poo, and this IT3 dude's wife is in labor and gives birth that night, while he is onboard a ship a couple miles away in port. Command wouldn't let him leave, made him go to sea and everything. Absolutely brutal.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
How huge of a deal is it to get a CVN ready to go to sea. It seems to scale comically quickly with the size and complexity of the ship on the merchant side so I can't imagine. I miss working on a supply boat where it was "start the engines then hop down on the dock to untie the boat, then climb back up into the engine room"

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Yeah it's crazy complex, I only see a really small piece of it but it's many many man hours/years.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

When your power plant is multiple nuclear reactors the checklist for pushing might have a couple of extra steps in it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

shovelbum posted:

How huge of a deal is it to get a CVN ready to go to sea. It seems to scale comically quickly with the size and complexity of the ship on the merchant side so I can't imagine. I miss working on a supply boat where it was "start the engines then hop down on the dock to untie the boat, then climb back up into the engine room"

Nice try ISIS.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

Took the 1sts job on an ROS ship cause my friend is chief. They are activating the other two only one of them had a fire last night. We are both about to get completely hosed, he has burning man plans and I have a job interview for a pretty senior management position with the city next week.

We should be able to activate on time with a shortened schedule but holy gently caress this is not going to be fun whatever happens.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

EBB posted:

When your power plant is multiple nuclear reactors the checklist for pushing might have a couple of extra steps in it.

Yeah, but that is us in RX. IT3 can go home and the ship would launch just fine.

Ninja edit: RX is like 500 people, so any one dozen of them could go home and the ship would launch just fine.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

Took the 1sts job on an ROS ship cause my friend is chief. They are activating the other two only one of them had a fire last night. We are both about to get completely hosed, he has burning man plans and I have a job interview for a pretty senior management position with the city next week.

We should be able to activate on time with a shortened schedule but holy gently caress this is not going to be fun whatever happens.

They've had so many loving fires on ROS anymore it feels like

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

DustyNuts posted:

In the Seabees a half finished slab of steel and concrete that goes unused at 29 Palms is more important than the birth of a child or mourning your shipmate who died for more than two minutes. It's called a mission, people, and it can only be satisfied by broken families and suicide attempts

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

They've had so many loving fires on ROS anymore it feels like

This was supposed to be a chill job where I just sit in SF and swipe right. Now all my Tinder dates are canceled and I dont get to sleep for 2 weeks.

These ships havent really moved since the start of GW2 so they need a large amount of love. We are dropping $500k+ to get going in 5 days and get the work list the chief and I came up with cleared. The T-AKE's are over 40 years old as well and they just extended the life another 20 years.

On the plus side I keep running into classmates, including the Navy liaison. That's a pretty tit job cause they dont really have to do anything, he said he just has to chill and not get in the Armys way.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sounds like they need to give up and funnel that money over into MSP instead

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Maybe instead of wasting a few billion on new toys we just spend a few million on new logistic options. Realistically there isnt a replacement for the RRF. MSP cant offer the capability/flexibility of a T-AKE or other variants and the companies will just make the increased funds disappear.

On a side note, maybe be in the hall tomorrow if you arent working and see if the activation goes open? We have a 2 month mission that should be cool and with the fire this thing should activate for SEA and spend around 8 months between Thailand and the PI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Waiting on papers atm, swinging by the hall today to do vacation so I'll see if anything's up yet