Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Chill la Chill posted:

Ironing the stock price is really all you need to do. You can get a cheap poster frame with glass that should cover the size needed.

I play on folded maps. It’s part of the charm. Hell, the reason I haven’t played infamous traffic on the cloth map yet is because we keep playing on the folded map.

Clearly you do not own a cat. I got my plexiglass from Home Depot for $28, that's the cheapest I could find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Mayveena posted:

Clearly you do not own a cat. I got my plexiglass from Home Depot for $28, that's the cheapest I could find.

I got mine at Home Depot too, although it was a lot more expensive because I needed a giant sheet for games like Cataclysm and Austerlitz 1805: Rising Eagles.

Aside from keeping paper maps flat, plexi is also sometimes useful for annotating moves with dry erase markers.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm blessed with a cat that doesn't like to climb. I don't know if it's laziness or trauma from his last house but the highest he'll go is maybe a chair.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

al-azad posted:

I'm blessed with a cat that doesn't like to climb. I don't know if it's laziness or trauma from his last house but the highest he'll go is maybe a chair.

You ARE blessed :). My cat carefully (he's never moved a piece) walks over any board game we are playing, just to remind us that he's there.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

SVWAG talked about Import/Export this week. Actually, it was just Mark, who panned it saying that lacking a boat locked you out of several actions, leading to a lot of dead space. I've never played the game, but it gets a lot of love from this thread, so I wondered what you all thought about his impressions? I've watched the Rahdo video on I/E and it seemed like Mark's take made sense.

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 9, 2019

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It can definitely feel like a game where you spend a lot of turns just drawing and waiting for something early on, but the flow of the game really picks up once you grasp the actions and order of operations. Someone pointed that out to Mark and his reply was that "if the answer to fix the problem with the game is to simply 'get good' then I don't think that's a good defense" which is fair, but also a bit strange considering he loves many games that are punishing and unfriendly systems to new players (T&E is one of his favorites and he's said basically the same about that).

So yeah, in the end it's still a giant deck driven card game and you can be screwed by card draw, but no more than Race for the Galaxy or similar. You have plenty of tools to manipulate the game state even if your boats are both out, and it's not very hard to get one back if that is holding you back.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

pospysyl posted:

SVWAG talked about Import/Export this week. Actually, it was just Mark, who panned it saying that lacking a boat locked you out of several actions, leading to a lot of dead space. I've never played the game, but it gets a lot of love from this thread, so I wondered what you all thought about his impressions? I've watched the Rahdo video on I/E and it seemed like Mark's take made sense.

You’re supposed to piggyback and go with the flow of at least one other player so you can use their actions to do things, then deny them actions on your turn by drawing back to 5 cards. The more you piggyback, the more flexible you are. This is why the game starts with one boat in the water and one docked. Race for the galaxy is the same thing. I never played glory to Rome enough to get into tempo down, but from what I recall it was similar.

One thing I want to add is that I remember saying much earlier that the game was bad at 2 and agreeing with another poster about the supply action. It seemed to make sense but after playing it at 2 a bit, it's not a problem. The game still rewards piggybacking, so if you keep supplying, the other player will just copy you on your turn while doing something else on their turn, essentially getting two turns. Or, they'll keep drawing back to 5 on their turn which gives them card advantage.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 9, 2019

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I just got my kickstarter version of Bargain Quest, which I've heard is pretty good. Someone mentioned Ying earlier in this thread, and looking over his stuff he has some decent stuff, some middling stuff, but he's also got his hands in the new Power Rangers game, which I've heard is, against all odds, really fun.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my first game of BQ. Been waiting a bit, given the estimated date was August of last year. Hoping for a simple, lighthearted, quick drafting game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

It can definitely feel like a game where you spend a lot of turns just drawing and waiting for something early on, but the flow of the game really picks up once you grasp the actions and order of operations. Someone pointed that out to Mark and his reply was that "if the answer to fix the problem with the game is to simply 'get good' then I don't think that's a good defense" which is fair, but also a bit strange considering he loves many games that are punishing and unfriendly systems to new players (T&E is one of his favorites and he's said basically the same about that).

So yeah, in the end it's still a giant deck driven card game and you can be screwed by card draw, but no more than Race for the Galaxy or similar. You have plenty of tools to manipulate the game state even if your boats are both out, and it's not very hard to get one back if that is holding you back.

Same thing happens in Tamany Hall, a game Mark liked. If you get screwed on getting the favor tokens you can count yourself out of ever winning a vote while the rich get richer.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Morpheus posted:

I just got my kickstarter version of Bargain Quest, which I've heard is pretty good. Someone mentioned Ying earlier in this thread, and looking over his stuff he has some decent stuff, some middling stuff, but he's also got his hands in the new Power Rangers game, which I've heard is, against all odds, really fun.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to my first game of BQ. Been waiting a bit, given the estimated date was August of last year. Hoping for a simple, lighthearted, quick drafting game.

From my experience Bargain Quest is a good fluffy drafting game. It’s great for a mix of player skill levels but I’d describe it more as an experience generator than a game of strategy.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
When my cats were kittens I put "scat mats" on all the tables/counters. (I moved a few of them around a bunch). It took several months, but they eventually stopped jumping up on pretty much every hard surface. It's been five years now, and they still stay off tables and whatnot.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Re: plexiglass Home Depot or whatever will have sheets for use in bathrooms (showers and the like) and is probably the average shopper's best and cheapest option if you need something larger than what you could salvage from a picture frame.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

al-azad posted:

Same thing happens in Tamany Hall, a game Mark liked. If you get screwed on getting the favor tokens you can count yourself out of ever winning a vote while the rich get richer.

This is one of the reasons I've kind of simmered on them. He seems very arbitrary at times and it leads to me not trusting his opinions.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

pospysyl posted:

He seemed to admit himself that it was probably a product of bad play so I wouldn't worry too much

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Mayveena posted:

This is one of the reasons I've kind of simmered on them. He seems very arbitrary at times and it leads to me not trusting his opinions.

Which one of them had the hot goddam take that regular civ was better than Adv Civ because it's fun to have lost a giant long game for not buying techs properly or quickly.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FulsomFrank posted:

Which one of them had the hot goddam take that regular civ was better than Adv Civ because it's fun to have lost a giant long game for not buying techs properly or quickly.

Mark. Tresham thinks regular civ is better too, for some reason.

I can strongly disagree on some games while still enjoying the podcast though.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Played Santiago last night. Fantastic auction game. We learned throughout the game how to evaluate the auction better and chatted about when to pass for the overseer. Tricky thing about the overseer, because turn order and gaining info matters, but so is initiative to make a bid that nobody else can. Giving each player the ability to place their own water route, either opening up a large avenue or in a more restricted route, is very compelling. What's interesting is how shared incentives develop over time and how joining an already established network is a much larger points delta for a new player than it is for the current owners.

Also played Automobile, Maskmen, and couple rounds of Hansa Teutonica and saboteur. Solid games like always. Still can't believe saboteur, a dumb variance laden game is still better than more recent takes on the imperfect social deduction genre. The anticlockwise assignment of nuggets is brilliant.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Does anyone have an opinion on Parks, Pandemic: Rapid Response, Black Angel, Imhotep: The Duel, Sierra West, and Point Salad?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

golden bubble posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on Parks, Pandemic: Rapid Response, Black Angel, Imhotep: The Duel, Sierra West, and Point Salad?

Point salad is a fun drafting game. I played a couple games at gencon and will be buying a copy when it comes to retail.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chill la Chill posted:

Played Santiago last night. Fantastic auction game. We learned throughout the game how to evaluate the auction better and chatted about when to pass for the overseer. Tricky thing about the overseer, because turn order and gaining info matters, but so is initiative to make a bid that nobody else can. Giving each player the ability to place their own water route, either opening up a large avenue or in a more restricted route, is very compelling. What's interesting is how shared incentives develop over time and how joining an already established network is a much larger points delta for a new player than it is for the current owners.

Hell yea, glad you liked it. Did you end up making your own copy or did you play someone else's?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Ars Technica do, but I guess that may be why you're asking in the first place.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Abomination had me on theme /concept alone.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

golden bubble posted:

We have enjoyed Imhotep: The Duel. Easy to learn, fast to set up, and quick to play. The decisions to make are interesting and manages to be cutthroat without ever feeling mean.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

T-Bone posted:

Hell yea, glad you liked it. Did you end up making your own copy or did you play someone else's?

Someone else’s. I’ll wait to try and get it cheap since I realized you can’t appreciate a retheme of the game that much anyway. I’ve focused my efforts on 18xx where you’ve got yourself several hours to bask in the theme.

For Hansa Teutonica, I’ve played the game 6-7 times at 3 and another 7 at 5 now. Was discussing with friends how our meta has made the town completion end condition the overwhelming one with 3. With 5, it seems like bonus markers or 20 VP is the usual win condition, usually bonus markers. Is this the case? I think we tend to complete towns in 3 because nobody wants to give anyone too many free cubes or they just start snowballing, and the towns have many more 1-office locations.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Aug 11, 2019

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Dpulex posted:

Point salad is a fun drafting game. I played a couple games at gencon and will be buying a copy when it comes to retail.

I'll second this. We rented it last week, and it's a great filler game. Very fast to explain and play, while offering a decent amount of possible strategies for how simple it is.
Gave me Sushi Go vibes, with its colorful design, quick turns, having to look at the cards your opponent gets and think about whether you wanna focus on getting the best stuff for you or on blocking them.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
I also tried letter jam at gencon and enjoyed that. Not many cooperative word games out there.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
It's nice that letter jam dodges some of the issues that a lot of word games have with people trying to argue about whether something is a word or not.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

M a x posted:

It's nice that letter jam dodges some of the issues that a lot of word games have with people trying to argue about whether something is a word or not.

Lol you would think so, but the guy running the game said an earlier group tried to make up words that weren't real. Though I think in letter jam's case that might be funny.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chill la Chill posted:

For Hansa Teutonica, I’ve played the game 6-7 times at 3 and another 7 at 5 now. Was discussing with friends how our meta has made the town completion end condition the overwhelming one with 3. With 5, it seems like bonus markers or 20 VP is the usual win condition, usually bonus markers. Is this the case? I think we tend to complete towns in 3 because nobody wants to give anyone too many free cubes or they just start snowballing, and the towns have many more 1-office locations.

I've played mainly at 4 and 5 and 20 VP is almost always the end condition at that count. The Brittania expansion actually lowers the amount of cities you need to complete to end the game (8 instead of 10), but I'm not sure if that is a reaction to the base game or the new map.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
What’s the thread consensus on Everdell? Anything interesting beyond the artwork/theme/components?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Finally got to play Dominant Species! It will probably be the last time. I thought it was chaotic and political to the point of being actually bad, at least for five new players. Two swore they would never play it again, with one of the two quitting the game before the end and leaving.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

homullus posted:

Finally got to play Dominant Species! It will probably be the last time. I thought it was chaotic and political to the point of being actually bad, at least for five new players. Two swore they would never play it again, with one of the two quitting the game before the end and leaving.

With a group that wants aggressive politics and area control, it's awesome. Definitely would be a shock if you didn't know what you were getting in for

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Bodanarko posted:

What’s the thread consensus on Everdell? Anything interesting beyond the artwork/theme/components?

No. Its like wingspan in that it mostly plays itself and you can just win via sick topdecking.

If you like Wingspan though you will like it and visa versa.

VanguardFelix
Oct 10, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo
Got out to another new group this weekend and man do different table dynamics make or break the games.

Codenames: This was the best of the night. It was my first time playing and I generally loved it, really good game that doesn’t require any prior experience with anyone at the table. They played it without the timer because they said there’s no reason it should take that long to give or guess clues. It then followed that every time to give a clue was a painful wait. Overall would play again!

Bang!: I would probably like this game rethemed, the whole Indians and Gatling gun mechanic is just bad taste in my book. Seems like it would be a fun quick deduction game. As it stood it was nearly 40 minutes for 1 round of 5 people.

Fluxx: Absolutely never again. It took half an hour. Why people spent more than 30 seconds on their turn I’ll never know. I’d take Munchkin over Fluxx.

So that game group isn’t to my taste. I like heavier games if there’s going to be that much time spent every decision.

Robinson Crusoe: Played solo, it’s fiddly as all hell, but I just love the difficult, the variabilty/challenge, and the emergent sort storytelling you can imagine up with how the events build up on each other. Probably another solo play or two under my belt to get the rules solid before teaching it to play with people!

This week is back to Raleigh for a really fun game night and am thrilled I’m getting games in every week now

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea
Bang! is absolutely one of those "this game should take 5 minutes, how are we still here" games.

In short, it's bad. Don't play it again.

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

I'm still mad about dying in Bang! BEFORE I COULD TAKE MY FIRST TURN.
And then waiting like 45 minutes for the game to end.
From what I've seen, it's really not great.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ah but have you considered

the game comes in a giant bullet-shaped box

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Sir Gladu posted:

I'm still mad about dying in Bang! BEFORE I COULD TAKE MY FIRST TURN.
And then waiting like 45 minutes for the game to end.
From what I've seen, it's really not great.

at least you could check out. there's an expansion that might turn dead players into ghosts that re-join the game.

might. maybe. you gotta stick around just in case, though

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

M a x posted:

I played Just One for the first time the other week. The aspect of the game the owner was most excited about was that it didn't have the restrictions on clues that other word games have. For "wolf" he gave the clue "awoo". I never want to play the game or anything with him again.

VanguardFelix posted:

Robinson Crusoe: Played solo, it’s fiddly as all hell, but I just love the difficult, the variabilty/challenge, and the emergent sort storytelling you can imagine up with how the events build up on each other. Probably another solo play or two under my belt to get the rules solid before teaching it to play with people!

Enjoy the storytelling! I maintain that Robinson Crusoe is an excellent experience generator. As far as game mechanics, though--it's pretty much broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

homullus posted:

I know it's too late and it doesn't change any of the fundamental rules, but I find Dominant Species works way better when you remove the cards that adds action tokens. It makes the game move much smoother and prevents those games where all but one player gets an extra action by the end of round 1 and that sucks.