Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite Drink?
This poll is closed.
Water 32 26.67%
Tea 21 17.50%
Soda 28 23.33%
Alcoholic 22 18.33%
I dunno 17 14.17%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ah poo poo i lost my reply, and now this is a page snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

uh to elaborate on my feelings of patlabor, it probably comes from my path through the series being ova > movies > tv (haven't started), that i find the movies more of a mixed bag. the ova covers the various different tones patlabor can hit between hijinks like elderly bombers, ghosts, and kaiju to political intrigue. as you get into the movies more focus is placed on the serious side of the story but it's not really as egregious until patlabor 2. it's still good, but it's different (also slowly paced and quiet).

plus kenji kawai does some really calming music for it, i have used his more downtempo stuff like that or windy tales/mob psycho to sleep sometimes

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Patlabor 1 feels like a Patlabor movie, 2 feels like someome hatefully writing something that stands in opposition to everything the series stood for just to take a poo poo on it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

now do WXIII

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
https://twitter.com/Anime/status/1160290990068047873

ANN posted:

Orange manga artist Ichigo Takano posted a short comic on her Twitter account depicting the trials and tribulations of being a manga artist. The manga explains her perpetually busy schedule, which only gives her one day a month off work (which she usually spends sleeping), and describes the negative impact this has on her social life and health. The reason the schedule is so grueling, she explains, is because missing a deadline is the biggest no-no in manga.

Takano wrote in the conclusion: "If a manga artist misses a chapter, please don't get mad and file a complaint. They didn't miss the deadline out of laziness. They weren't given any leeway, and were drawing as much as they could. Half-completed chapters don't get published."

She also wrote a message for fellow manga artists: "Please get some rest pronto and don't push yourselves too hard, okay? I also hope that any publishers reading this can come up with a way for manga artists to create manga without pushing themselves excessively."

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 12, 2019

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
drat if I had registered At Anime like ten years ago or whatever I would be a millionaire right now.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Lemon-Lime posted:

Patlabor 1 feels like a Patlabor movie, 2 feels like someome hatefully writing something that stands in opposition to everything the series stood for just to take a poo poo on it.

I think I've only seen the second one then; it was utterly unenjoyable and mostly boring the entire way through.
I should watch my sets of the series or OVA again sometime.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Patlabor 2 rules and I think about it a lot, it's probably my favorite Oshii. Idk how it betrays the series even tho yea it's way different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dmlwhaEEgE

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

an actual dog posted:

Patlabor 2 rules and I think about it a lot, it's probably my favorite Oshii. Idk how it betrays the series even tho yea it's way different.

I haven't actually watched Patlabor 2, but I still think of that scene from time to time, and maybe increasingly often.

The reflections off the building are also one hell of a flex.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

an actual dog posted:

that scene makes me want to watch this movie

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

mycophobia posted:

that scene makes me want to watch this movie
that scene is the entire movie

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

homeless snail posted:

that scene is the entire movie

yea it owns

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like on it's own Patlabor 2 is arguably one of Oshii's best movies as he's super on point on message and using visuals to show it. It's just as a part of Patlabor as a whole it's really not my favorite as it's felt like Oshii taking what was a collaboration in the TV/OAV and making it his own. Patlabor 1 works much better as a mix of Oshii's movie style while still staying true to the vision of OAV/TV Patlabor for me (also being the best version of a Computer Virus in anime ever).

I think why I also am a bit down on Patlabor 2 as part of Patlabor is how it's really coloured the works we've gotten since than. Aside from some of the shorts WXIII and the Live Action movie all felt like they were chasing the second movie when really they should of been something else. Only the Patlabor bits in Super Robot Wars come close to the TV

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Patlabor 2 is very good

it was my only exposure to Patlabor for a long time then I watched the ova and first movie and they were uh, quite a different experience lol

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

I've not seen any of Patlabor so my knowledge is mostly a decade old Newtype USA article on WXIII and MAHQ and wondering why they never established what these robots are powered by.

I want to watch it but it's probably in licensing hell?

That's my story

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

I've not seen any of Patlabor so my knowledge is mostly a decade old Newtype USA article on WXIII and MAHQ and wondering why they never established what these robots are powered by.

I want to watch it but it's probably in licensing hell?

That's my story
diesel, I think

and nah it all came out over here

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Joel Osteen is on at the bar i hate it.

Last night someone was watching some 3d anime thing on Adult Swim on the bigass projector that also sucked

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Isekai transporter or something like that?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

gen:LOCK is far from the worst thing Toonami has shown, but it sure is the most embarrassing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I mean, if you liked what Patlabor 2 does, I'd argue it's better to move onto the Oshii Ghost in a Shell movies for more of those ponderous scenes.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i beat ape escape

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Expect My Mom posted:

i have a copy of patlabor 2 that i found at the dollar store

i still have not seen any patlabor

You should watch patlabor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMpI_bc3LrI

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

gen:LOCK is far from the worst thing Toonami has shown, but it sure is the most embarrassing.
dimension w

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i watched one episode of pop team epic and the comedic timing was completely off and wrong and it made the whole thing a struggle

i would have cut and timed it completely differently

other stuff i've watched:

all of tsuredure children: solid 7/10, cute.. probably will never get a followup but it tries to resolve on a decent note for all the characters, the only one kind of ignored is the astrology club woman who has no subplot after the first episode other than getting people into the club

alice & zoroku ep 1: didn't realize this was going to be a double length debut. it was fine. i dont know that i buy zoroku's cosgrove-from-freakazoid-esque ability to stop dangerous superhumans just by saying "hey cut that out"

phantom in the twilight ep 1-4: if it wasn't for ton this show would have (and be) absolutely nothing

re:zero ep 1-3: seems alright, it does the thing every isekai does though, where it constantly comments about how it's an isekai... even in subversion it's annoying

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Aug 12, 2019

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Wark Say posted:

Isekai transporter or something like that?
It's a similar meta-premise (Goodbye Isekai Tensei). Basically, the princess of a fantasy world transports herself into the real world in order to speed up the isekai process (i.e. killing the main character). Meanwhile, the demonic forces from the same world also end up in the real world, but with the goal of *preventing* the isekai process, so you end up with a role reversal between typical fantasy allies and villains.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

MY LOVE FOR YOU IS LIKE A TRUCK

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Can Of Worms posted:

It's a similar meta-premise (Goodbye Isekai Tensei). Basically, the princess of a fantasy world transports herself into the real world in order to speed up the isekai process (i.e. killing the main character). Meanwhile, the demonic forces from the same world also end up in the real world, but with the goal of *preventing* the isekai process, so you end up with a role reversal between typical fantasy allies and villains.
That sounds like my kind of dumb.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

an actual dog posted:

Yea same. Heck I feel like these days it's the only Patlabor I'd ever wanna go back to.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

patlabor 2 is the most thoughtful and well-executed exploration of how 9/11 affected america and it was made in japan nearly a decade before 9/11

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i beat ape escape

great game

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Unnatural City and the opening credits are the only scenes anyone posts of Patlabkr 2 because the rest of the movie is some rotoscoped looking motherfuckers acting sad and saying "Japan ..it'd be really f*cked up ifbwe had a military."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i beat ape escape

oh yeah i bought that from a goon, didn't i, i should finally get around to it instead of relying on half-formed memories from a pizza hut demo twenty years ago

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I rented AE1 and when I had to take it back I wanted to play some more so I dug out a demo disc with it on there and my little brother thought I'd somehow stolen it and dobbed me in to my mum

I never played the sequels but Snake VS Monkey was good

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

She got her CDL at 17? What a prodigy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

Unnatural City and the opening credits are the only scenes anyone posts of Patlabkr 2 because the rest of the movie is some rotoscoped looking motherfuckers acting sad and saying "Japan ..it'd be really f*cked up ifbwe had a military."
yeah and it owns

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Just found out about the JSDF involvement in the UNTAC drat that poo poo sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎