Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I wish I had 5 billion dollars to lose into the void

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/SamRo/status/1159925718593212417

:tif:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Missing Donut posted:

You’re conflating two things. The metric in general is used to industry potential; a $1trillion industry has more potential than a $100million one for hopefully obvious reasons.

I guess it's just still funny to me because that type of thinking would even get you laughed out of Shark Tank, but apparently Wall Street is fine with it.

"All we have to do is enter two new markets, one of which has several established players and also loving Amazon moving in on it, and penetrate dozens of new country's markets and we'll totally be able to grow into a profit."

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
Uber would consume every available resource on the planet and still somehow not be able to turn a profit.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Uber is run by an AI whose prime directive is make paper clisp be disruptive and something something cars?

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

luxury handset posted:

i get that, i'm disputing that uber is competitive in the freight industry or "personal mobility" in terms of actually producing vehicles rather than renting them along with their driver/owner's time

Why must Uber own its vehicles for it to be considered competitive in the freight industry? Especially considering that this is an industry where it’s long been normal to rent vehicles along with their driver/owner’s time. There are hundreds of thousands of long haul trucker one-man businesses on the Interstates.

You might as well demand that Wal-Mart manufactures the Skittles in its candy aisle.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I guess it's just still funny to me because that type of thinking would even get you laughed out of Shark Tank, but apparently Wall Street is fine with it.

Wall Street is very different to Shark Tank. I’ve seen the UK version more than the US version, so it might not be a perfect parallel, but the investors on the program seemed to be interested in businesses with moats to protect them from competition. The investors were essentially looking for higher profits on lower risk. Uber, on the other hand, has spent years in a world of private equity where investors are looking for extreme wins, so they invest in a few dozen businesses in the hope that one hits the jackpot, knowing that most are hopeless investments that will lose everything.

Now that Uber did its IPO, it has to deal with the new expectations of Wall Street, who want stable profits and a record of exceeding analyst expectations. The recent news of slashing the marketing department and putting a hiring freeze on new engineers is in line with its transition to Wall Street.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Missing Donut posted:

Why must Uber own its vehicles for it to be considered competitive in the freight industry? Especially considering that this is an industry where it’s long been normal to rent vehicles along with their driver/owner’s time. There are hundreds of thousands of long haul trucker one-man businesses on the Interstates.

Because if Uber doesn't own those trucks, those trucks can instantly switch to Lyft18Wheeler or whatever the gently caress, dude. I.e. it is trivial for someone else to completely muscle out their attempts to take a big share of that market.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Missing Donut posted:

You might as well demand that Wal-Mart manufactures the Skittles in its candy aisle.

sorry, should have been a comma there

uber claims it can compete in multiple industries. one of those is freight brokerage. there are, as you say, a hundred thousand competitors in this market. uber is doing respectably here, but not close to cracking the top 10 freight brokerage firms, and they still have the same problem of the "uber, but for truckers" product being so easy to copy that they already have app related competition in this market

uber also wants to do personal mobility (completely different industry) as in create vehicle technology, which ranges on a spectrum from ok to double lol

-ok, uber wants to develop some self driving widget and sell it to a manufacturer. sure, kinda makes sense, except this isn't really what uber is known for and every car manufacturer is already also trying to make their own self driving widgets as is every big firm in silicon valley so good luck there

-lol, uber wants to make these widgets and manufacture them into vehicles which, elon musk called and wants to know which pedophile at your company ripped off his business plan

-double lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUEj6EnBzks

if uber wanted to just be taxis hailed from smartphone they'd be doing alright but promises were made and bets were laid on the table and now uber has some big, big expectations to meet

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also uber was able to easily push aside scattered taxi companies because there is no national taxi company in the united states. just a loose sort of franchisee system. this is because local conditions and regulations vary so widely, and people rarely take taxis long distances between cities, that it makes sense for taxis to focus on one specific city as a home market. so taxi firms rarely generate large amounts of money necessary to fend off competition

trucking firms, however, are national-scale as gently caress and they can get big enough to defend themselves

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

luxury handset posted:

also uber was able to easily push aside scattered taxi companies because there is no national taxi company in the united states. just a loose sort of franchisee system. this is because local conditions and regulations vary so widely, and people rarely take taxis long distances between cities, that it makes sense for taxis to focus on one specific city as a home market. so taxi firms rarely generate large amounts of money necessary to fend off competition

trucking firms, however, are national-scale as gently caress and they can get big enough to defend themselves

Freight brokerage is one of the most competitive industries I know of. Not unheard of for a guy to own a few trucks and run the business out of one of the cabins while hauling cargo around. I don't know how you're supposed to do it chaper than that. it's also not a static industry where no one is trying to scale or innovate.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
uber probably sees some opportunity to try to undercut firms that cater to the owner/operator crowd and get some of the younger drivers who dont want to drive for like jb hunt. but like their taxi business, this market is decent but small and not nearly what the investors need to sustain the valuation uber has

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
I posted that Uber article on FB yesterday and got this today. Thanks, I hate it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Anza Borrego posted:

I posted that Uber article on FB yesterday and got this today. Thanks, I hate it

Good god I hope I’m retired at that age.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Truckers generally have the strongest biggest loving unions ever, they'll eat Uber for breakfast, there's zero chance of them "disrupting" that industry

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Groovelord Neato posted:

you could tax all these fuckers so they couldn't pour money into companies that cannot succeed.

Yup. The engine fueling venture capital is 100% rich fuckers who are being insufficiently taxed.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Groovelord Neato posted:

you could tax all these fuckers so they couldn't pour money into companies that cannot succeed.

The USA used to do that.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

luxury handset posted:

uber probably sees some opportunity to try to undercut firms that cater to the owner/operator crowd and get some of the younger drivers who dont want to drive for like jb hunt. but like their taxi business, this market is decent but small and not nearly what the investors need to sustain the valuation uber has

Agree 100% with this.

There is great opportunity with the O/O crowd... charge customers less and pay the contractors more to gain market share and knock some rust out of the current freight brokerage companies (sound familiar?). Execution will matter because, as others have mentioned, it’s a much tougher market and there will be more pushback. I personally don’t expect Uber to have the same success in that market but I don’t see them having zero impact either.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the problem with that is that uber needs to make a huge impact. like they can't just dabble in these industries, they have to dominate them, and it's like setting up multiple independent lines of businesses all at once not because they think they will be good at them, but because they desperately need the revenue from all these business to prevent the entire structure from toppling

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The problem with Uber is not specific to Uber. One of the things going on is you have a ton of investors looking at Google, Facebook, Apple, and Microsoft while thinking "how do I get me one of those?" The answer at this point is of course "you don't" but that isn't stopping them from desperately throwing money at every nerd that says "well once we scale up..." The assumption is that you can just take total control of something and then expand from there. The snag is that we're seeing a lot of people getting very unhappy about what the tech giants have been up to and it's becoming clear that they've just gotten too god damned big and powerful.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
There's also the problem of said tech giants, FB in particular, being huge proponents of tighter regulation as soon as they've achieved market share via means that should have been regulated.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about; that and buying up any company that could potentially compete with them. While some of them may have at one point been a plucky little startup started by a college student in his dorm room what they've become is abhorrent.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Missing Donut posted:

Agree 100% with this.

There is great opportunity with the O/O crowd... charge customers less and pay the contractors more to gain market share and knock some rust out of the current freight brokerage companies (sound familiar?). Execution will matter because, as others have mentioned, it’s a much tougher market and there will be more pushback. I personally don’t expect Uber to have the same success in that market but I don’t see them having zero impact either.

I don't see this happening more than trivially. Becoming an O/O takes a lot of time and money, not least because you have to get all the qualifications and then buy/lease the truck. They won't have a near endless supply of new labor to abuse. The number of independent O/O is much smaller than the total number of O/O, the non-independents can't take loads for just anyone and I doubt the OOIDA is going to sit still while Uber Loadz starts using unlicensed drivers or whatever the planned regulatory shenanigans are.

The only possible way Uber can "credibly" take a non-trivial part of the freight market is to start their own top-to-bottom freight company and buy trucks. That makes me think that this is part of automation-investor story time.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
Uber imagines they're going to have self-driving freight trucks.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Feinne posted:

And autonomous flying taxis lol

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

aware of dog posted:

Uber is the Ralph Wiggum of companies.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

aware of dog posted:

Yeah that one's even more obviously lies than the freight and it's amazing they could get it out with a straight face.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Feinne posted:

I don't think anyone with real decision-making power at Uber actually believes they are going to accomplish this. I'm honestly excited for the Bad Blood-style account of Uber's culture to come out in 10 years or so. The level of self-driving that Uber absolutely must have in order to accomplish any of their stated goals is so far out on the horizon that I can't see their self-driving wing as anything other than a means by which to milk investors for their cash. Self-delusion can only explain so much.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Baronash posted:

I don't think anyone with real decision-making power at Uber actually believes they are going to accomplish this. I'm honestly excited for the Bad Blood-style account of Uber's culture to come out in 10 years or so. The level of self-driving that Uber absolutely must have in order to accomplish any of their stated goals is so far out on the horizon that I can't see their self-driving wing as anything other than a means by which to milk investors for their cash. Self-delusion can only explain so much.

Oh for sure, though I mean as we saw with Theranos self-delusion and grifting can be completely indistinguishable at a certain point (and both lead to the same place).

Now the flying autonomous taxi poo poo? I loving hope nobody there is actually being made to work on something like that, because you'd have to be like a full soylent chugger Silicon Valley robot to believe that could ever be a thing.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Feinne posted:

Now the flying autonomous taxi poo poo? I loving hope nobody there is actually being made to work on something like that, because you'd have to be like a full soylent chugger Silicon Valley robot to believe that could ever be a thing.

i'm sure there are dozens of guys thirsty to do something like this for a company as largely profile as uber instead of just some rando midwestern aerospace startup which typically dominates the personal air-car space

imo uber doesn't believe in air taxis. and their investors don't really either. the question is, are there enough suckers out there who do believe in it, other smaller investors? and everyone has to pretend this is a great idea long enough to walk away with the money. it's like strip poker where everyone shows up naked and pretends everyone else is clothed

regarding self-driving trucks - there is space for it in the market. there's a niche for electric trucks that follow major roadways and use overhead wires for propulsion, like a half assed train. the question is if this market is large enough to sustain a kajillion dollar venture. probably not, but then again, contemporary capitalism is not so much if you belive in an idea, but if you can sucker enough other people to believe in this idea to walk off with their money, and this has gone from snake oil garbage to the most exciting sector of the economy

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Aug 12, 2019

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

so how do I get a job stalling for time pretending to code Blockchain AI for the air taxis

is there like a secret phrase to use in interviews

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ruffian Price posted:

so how do I get a job stalling for time pretending to code Blockchain AI for the air taxis

They just put a hiring freeze in, so no luck there

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/mondalan/status/1160623845662871552

https://research.checkpoint.com/say-cheese-ransomware-ing-a-dslr-camera/

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Platystemon posted:

Good god I hope I’m retired at that age.

I have given up on that dream.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Verizon is selling Tumblr to Wordpress' parent company for, reportedly, less than $3 million. Yahoo originally paid $1.1 billion for it lmfao

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

aware of dog posted:

Verizon is selling Tumblr to Wordpress' parent company for, reportedly, less than $3 million. Yahoo originally paid $1.1 billion for it lmfao

Also the current total value of the AOL and Yahoo divisions combined, according to Verizon, is well under $200 million. Verizon had paid approximately $10 billion in total to purchase AOL and Yahoo in 2015 and 2017 respectively.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Ruffian Price posted:

Turns out pointing out that the job you're interviewing for is bullshit and nobody will really notice if you're actually doing it or not so they might as well hire you and stop having to suffer going through all the motions for this particular posting isn't a winning tactic.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

aware of dog posted:

Coming full circle to the OP poll.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fishmech posted:

Also the current total value of the AOL and Yahoo divisions combined, according to Verizon, is well under $200 million. Verizon had paid approximately $10 billion in total to purchase AOL and Yahoo in 2015 and 2017 respectively.

lmao didn't karp get 250 million in cash when he sold tumblr to yahoo. amazing.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
This is where I get the under $200 million figure from by the way: https://www.businessinsider.com/verizon-will-write-down-46-billion-in-value-of-oath-2018-12
That was back in December so probably the value of all the random bits of Yahoo and AOL only declined further

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/techreview/status/1159842563047608321