Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've been hitting the gym for a while, usually Tuesday Wednesday Thursday whilst I'm away on work. Because I'm on expenses and in a hotel in not eating well as I can cook for myself. I'm doing my best with eating, but I don't seem to be losing weight.

I just switched up my routine, where before I did cardio followed by weights, I'm now going about 5 weight excercises plus machine assisted pull-ups. I thought something must be happening as I was super regular but I'm the same weight still. Should I stick with this method yet?

Weight change is not the be-all and end-all; if your performance is improving, and you're happier with how you feel and look, ignore the weight. You're aiming to build muscle and lose fat, but muscle is both more dense, and somewhat easier to build than fat is to lose.

Keep at it, try to improve the diet as best you can (as that's probably a bigger impactor on fat loss if that's what you care about), and don't sweat the scales if the important measures are improving (how you feel (including how you feel about your appearance), and how you're performing).

E: 84 years ago, on 30 July 1935, Penguin Books was founded. WHich is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Weights are a good thing to buy second hand, since so many people get them and quickly give up.

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've been hitting the gym for a while, usually Tuesday Wednesday Thursday whilst I'm away on work. Because I'm on expenses and in a hotel in not eating well as I can cook for myself. I'm doing my best with eating, but I don't seem to be losing weight.

I just switched up my routine, where before I did cardio followed by weights, I'm now going about 5 weight excercises plus machine assisted pull-ups. I thought something must be happening as I was super regular but I'm the same weight still. Should I stick with this method yet?

I exercised quite a lot for like a couple years and got into good shape but it wasn't until I started calorie counting my food and tracking my calories burned that I actually lost my belly.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

baka kaba posted:

£1 per lb is pretty typical I think
Gone from the sterling silver standard to the powerlifting standard.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ratjaculation posted:

How much does your mum weigh? Because I lift that every day

Like 8 stone, that's not very impressive.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Especially when he's only lifting 2 inches.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

WhatEvil posted:

Like 8 stone, that's not very impressive.

Depends what exercise you're doing with it, it's a very good single arm biceps curl.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Guavanaut posted:

Especially when he's only lifting 2 inches.

hey rude. only im allowed to add inches on

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Heya folks. I am back but not for too long.

Firstly, my brother is getting married next week so I got to go home and tried on the suit I have to wear. At the same time him and his fiance have just purchased an entire house.

It's left me feeling very sad because I haven't done anything and I had a friend who had sent me some stuff on co-dependence and boy howdy did THAT hit a lot of nerves. Like the top one and the bottom one are defo things I have thought/acted on in the before now.

Ended up having a mini breakdown talk to my friend and ended up saying stuff like: "Partially because nothing I do DOES matter. I am not "enough". I've not got the store of self belief or self righteousness or anything to really be sure I stand on anything." and "I am scared that if I do all I'm doing is setting myself up to hurt either others or myself and so I need to keep telling myself I'm a worthless piece of poo poo because then I can't get hurt by anyone. If I hurt myself enough I can not be hurt by anyone else."

I've kind of wandered into a few blind alleys mentally haven't I?

I'm also finding it tricky to treat my mental health as an actual illness, because if I do I'm worried I will use it as a crutch.

Anyway going to be back for tonight and a bit of tomorrow, wanted to just say hello and vomit words everywhere as usual.

Hope everyone is having a good day and can also recommend starting strength. Back when I was going to the gym it worked really well!

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008
Most of the people in my gym are goony as hell, in the last few weeks I've seen guys wearing a fortnite, eve online and TESO shirt.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/Miners_Strike/status/1158786813122813953

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

145kg set with 7ft 20kg Olympic bar:

https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/body-power-145kg-rubber-encased-tri-grip-olympic-set.html

£340, free delivery.

Seems v reasonable to me for rubberised weights.

E: Unless the issue is that you're a loving beast and need like 300kg of plates I guess.

Oh sweet, I guess I wasn't looking that hard because that's much more reasonable than I've been seeing. I'm handing in my notice at Royal Mail soon, but I wanna make sure I don't put all the weight I've lost back on when I stop walking like 8 miles a day, so I figured it's time to try and get buff and strong.

Can any weight lifting goons weigh in on a decent program to start with? The stronglifts 5x5 one looks pretty straightforward and there's a hugely detailed free guide for it.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Starting Strength, then on to one of Alfalfa's programs in YLLS or, if you're a goodlooking sexhaver like me, Wendler's 5/3/1 with lots of volume accessory lifts.

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

I have a friend who's making a PIP application because she suffers from Graves Disease (thyroid thing) I'm not entirely sure of the details, but she said that she had been accepted based on her own circumstances twice, but denied due to the fact her girlfriend earned too much? I'm not sure what I'm asking for here but I just wondered if anyone could share any experiences theyve had or point me in the directions of any resources I could use to help her.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

CptAwesome posted:

I have a friend who's making a PIP application because she suffers from Graves Disease (thyroid thing) I'm not entirely sure of the details, but she said that she had been accepted based on her own circumstances twice, but denied due to the fact her girlfriend earned too much?

PIP isn't means tested, her girlfriend's income shouldn't matter. Is she thinking of previous ESA applications maybe? If so be warned, the criteria are different and you really need to be aware of what precisely they are to make an effective case. Strongly recommend a subscription to Benefits And Work to get their guide to PIP applications - it's not free but it definitely helped me.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Catte taxe:

I know I've shared this link before, but no harm doing it again: this sanctuary in Gloucestershire looks after a number of cats with various disabilities. They're not a charity and rely on donations (they also have an Amazon wishlist https://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2V1KHLYQY0Z8M).

http://www.complicatedcats.com/home.html

I bought some food for the cattes :kimchi:

CptAwesome posted:

I have a friend who's making a PIP application because she suffers from Graves Disease (thyroid thing) I'm not entirely sure of the details, but she said that she had been accepted based on her own circumstances twice, but denied due to the fact her girlfriend earned too much? I'm not sure what I'm asking for here but I just wondered if anyone could share any experiences theyve had or point me in the directions of any resources I could use to help her.

I'm not exactly an expert but I thought PIP was specifically non-means-tested and not linked to anything else going on in your life, either you're disabled enough to get it or you aren't? I don't recall having to give any info about anyone's earnings on my application, though I'm notoriously dumb so I could easily just not be remembering. I'd say CAB would be a good port of call for her to get started.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

deletebeepbeepbeep posted:

Most of the people in my gym are goony as hell, in the last few weeks I've seen guys wearing a fortnite, eve online and TESO shirt.

I dread the prospect of swole gamers rising up :ohdear:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ms Adequate posted:

I bought some food for the cattes :kimchi:

Thanks :) I follow them on facebook and buy their calendar every year.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

CptAwesome posted:

PIP definitely isn't means tested and your friend should get in touch with your local council's welfare rights office - they should be able to help with the application and also with the inevitable appeal when the company doing the assessment lies about how she was double healthy. :smith:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Josef bugman posted:

I've kind of wandered into a few blind alleys mentally haven't I?

I'm also finding it tricky to treat my mental health as an actual illness, because if I do I'm worried I will use it as a crutch.

Recognising where you are is an important step though! That's the thing about this stuff, it clouds your perceptions, and being able to see that is what gives you the ability to do something about it. So yeah don't be ashamed of seeing this or having a strong emotional reaction to it

And as far as the crutch thing goes... you said you're already retreating to a negative place as a way to protect yourself (really to do the damage before anyone else can), isn't that sort of a crutch in itself? Recognising it as a symptom of an illness won't be any worse at least, right? And it puts you in a better place to understand and fight it and get out from under it

So yeah, you're doing good buddy and it's honestly good to see you updating us with this stuff - you're on the right track, and it sounds like you have people who want to help too

Bardeh posted:

Can any weight lifting goons weigh in on a decent program to start with? The stronglifts 5x5 one looks pretty straightforward and there's a hugely detailed free guide for it.

If you like the look of it go for it! The important thing is to get started with something, if you want to move onto something else you'll have at least learned the important lifts and worked on your form, so it's not like you're losing out

CptAwesome
Nov 2, 2005

Pilchenstein posted:

PIP definitely isn't means tested and your friend should get in touch with your local council's welfare rights office - they should be able to help with the application and also with the inevitable appeal when the company doing the assessment lies about how she was double healthy. :smith:

Yeah, turns out she did mean the system that came before it. Thanks for the leads, everyone, ill get them to her.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Catte taxe:

I know I've shared this link before, but no harm doing it again: this sanctuary in Gloucestershire looks after a number of cats with various disabilities. They're not a charity and rely on donations (they also have an Amazon wishlist https://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/2V1KHLYQY0Z8M).

I also bought them some food, so your link posting was worthwhile.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bardeh posted:

Oh sweet, I guess I wasn't looking that hard because that's much more reasonable than I've been seeing. I'm handing in my notice at Royal Mail soon, but I wanna make sure I don't put all the weight I've lost back on when I stop walking like 8 miles a day, so I figured it's time to try and get buff and strong.

I recommend Sean10mm's stripped 5x5.

http://newbie-fitness.blogspot.com/2007/01/stripped-5x5.html

(Sean10mm is a goon who I think has posted in this thread occasionally and he has a thread in W&W for this program).

It's very much like Stronglifts 5x5 but it doesn't have you doing Squats and Deadlifts on the same day which IMO is better.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
£v $ went down to 1.20182 this evening for a short while, lower than the previous post EU referendum rate which was 1.20390 of 16th Jan 2017.

Late 1984/85 it got lower than this because the dollar was very strong. Now, the dollar isn't that strong and the £ is very weak.

Euro briefly went down to 1.06439 this evening just before far east markets opened and that is the lowest for at least 10 years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gACCCmFKP80

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Qwertycoatl posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with these people?

A second referendum would always have to be between the proposed outcome of Brexit and calling it off. With Boris in, No Deal is the proposed outcome. The time for faulting FBPEs for suggesting No Deal vs Remain is over.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jedit posted:

A second referendum would always have to be between the proposed outcome of Brexit and calling it off. With Boris in, No Deal is the proposed outcome. The time for faulting FBPEs for suggesting No Deal vs Remain is over.

the problem is that if you spend all your time shouting about how No Deal is going to gently caress us over and then you agree that it should be one of the options in a second referendum then you look incredibly stupid

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

the problem is that if you spend all your time shouting about how No Deal is going to gently caress us over and then you agree that it should be one of the options in a second referendum then you look incredibly stupid

To be fair, what else would be on a second referendum at this point? You can’t send out a vote with one option.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

To be fair, what else would be on a second referendum at this point? You can’t send out a vote with one option.

you seem to have struck upon one of the reasons why (despite the repeated shrieking of the fubpees) a second referendum is not in fact a very good idea right now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

Heya folks. I am back but not for too long.

If I have any advice it's to keep in mind that people aren't equal. We don't start in the same place, we don't grow the same way, we aren't given the same chances, we couldn't all have the same things even if we were. We live in a world that makes us unequal. So comparing yourself to others is not really a fair comparison. I know of course that you're pressured to do so, even if nobody says it to you outright, there's a whole industry devoted to making us feel inferior for what we don't have because they want to sell us things to make up that difference, but that's just another way that the world is set up to hurt you for the profit of some rich assholes. You're not foolish for reacting to that pressure but it isn't interested in your wellbeing, it's interested in you feeling exactly the way you do in the hopes that you'll spend money to fix it, and it doesn't much care whether you have that money or not.

The world isn't built to actually measure your worth as a person because the only way it can do that is with money. Unfortunately that means that if you want an accurate view of yourself you're reliant on developing it yourself, which is hard, or having someone else do it for you, which is rare and also hard to accept. But I will tell you that it's extremely likely that your interactions with other people are extremely worthwhile. Hell I am nice to people at work, and a lot of people would probably say "who cares?" but I like to think that helping little old ladies with their shopping is a very worthwhile use of my time, they are generally smiling when they leave and that, to me, is a good thing.

That some people get rewarded a lot more than others has very little bearing on their actual contribution to society. In fact I would suggest that what relation it does have tracks inversely. The more wealthy you are, the more you are taking away from everyone else, on average.

You're a good egg Josef, and I hope one day you can feel like one.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NOxQUANTum/status/1159418129635844096?s=19

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
They missed a trick by not calling the app transubstantiation.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Any people here potentially interested in starting the gym/weights should definitely go over to the general thread in YLLS which is super super helpful and knowledgeable. It was the main thing that helped me start being a fitness-haver a few years ago.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Jedit posted:

Why are they suggesting a referendum at all if they think one outcome would be catastrophic?

The answer is they're so phenomenally arrogant they think remain will automatically win, and they want No Deal on the ballot because they think the more damaging the alternative the better remain will do. They're idiots.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

They could have a referendum between remain and May's deal (or Corbyn's deal, most likely a fairly minor tweak on May's deal in practice, if there's an election)

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Qwertycoatl posted:

They could have a referendum between remain and May's deal (or Corbyn's deal, most likely a fairly minor tweak on May's deal in practice, if there's an election)

No they can't because Corbyns deal isn't a firm proposal, they could only have the choice as 'let Corbyn negotiate a new deal' which considering the whole point of the cabinet is to stop Corbyn being in charge to do things like try to negotiate a new deal would be even more nonsense.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

including one's own pension and union funds, unfortunately... and its own internal legitimacy if it rejecting balloting its members. This isn't rhetorical, it was Thatcher's answer to the flying pickets and secondary strikes - rather than relying on police confrontation alone, the government could also sequester union funds for illegal strikes, and still enjoy legitimacy for doing so because the strikers did not want to risk losing a ballot. The effectiveness of this measure was much underestimated initially on the left. It would turn out that the unions and union officers themselves also required the law's protection of private property to keep the lights on and the strike going, and conversely ad-hoc working-class illegalism is very hard to sustain if there's no legitimacy granted by a ballot

the clip is an accurate snapshot of the high-stakes politics of the period - hence, e.g., dropping concrete blocks on taxi drivers

it does also reflect that miners did not want state aid for a dignified transition out of a sunset industry, no matter what claims made in hindsight may say - they wanted to continue the mines as a way of life. Likewise, it is only after the fact that it became obvious that the struggle would turn on the question of British public opinion, because the miners were not actually in a position to exercise physical power over the means of production as they had before under Heath. If it was a physical veto, advocating killing scabs and arranging for Libyan or Soviet funds made sense - opinion be damned, the only thing that mattered who controlled the means of production. If it was about trying to sway the public, it did not.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

namesake posted:

No they can't because Corbyns deal isn't a firm proposal, they could only have the choice as 'let Corbyn negotiate a new deal' which considering the whole point of the cabinet is to stop Corbyn being in charge to do things like try to negotiate a new deal would be even more nonsense.

Well yeah Corbyn's deal would only be a possibility if they were the remain alliance instead of the no Corbyns alliance.

May's deal is still available though. But instead of a somewhat bad option that nobody wants, they'd rather offer the horrible disaster that gammons lust for

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I don't suppose anyone knows how to help/recover a uk individual currently suffering from psychosis in a large spanish city who is on their own and with no travel insurance? The UK embassy are apparently pretty poo poo.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I am currently trying to browse SA at 288 kpbs. Is there an easy way of stopping gifs loading?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jippa posted:

I am currently trying to browse SA at 288 kpbs. Is there an easy way of stopping gifs loading?

Use Awful app, there's an option to turn off gif playing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jippa posted:

If WiFi is an option then the Android app lets you disable them under settings, the iOS app I'm not sure about though.