Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Jippa posted:

I am currently trying to browse SA at 288 kpbs. Is there an easy way of stopping gifs loading?

uBlock Origin has a "block large media elements" setting you can flip on by default

https://github.com/gorhill/uBlock/wiki/Per-site-switches#no-large-media-elements

stopping the autoplay isn't enough, you need to prevent them from downloading at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Thank you.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I am going to a funeral today, and am currently in BIG TROUBLE for suggesting a 22 year old man should have more organisation for his own grandfather’s funeral than knocking on my door three hours in advance and asking if I’ve got a black jacket he can borrow (I don’t). The youth of today, honestly. Some people. This country.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of people don't deal well with death.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Especially those directly afflicted.

ronya posted:

it does also reflect that miners did not want state aid for a dignified transition out of a sunset industry, no matter what claims made in hindsight may say
That's also assuming that this was even a genuine option on the table. The Conservatives weren't transitioning away from coal in favor of some grand environmental commitment to nuclear or tidal, they were transitioning to cheap coal from overseas, which was then dropped for popup turbine plants during the natural gas boom. The 'dignified' transition would have been the dole queue.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

OwlFancier posted:

A lot of people don't deal well with death.

No it’s 100% that he’s a lazy useless prick who is totally unprepared for his mum having more poo poo going on this weekend than having to dress her adult son.

Also I was just filming my dog investigating a giant pickled gherkin that has mysteriously appeared outside my house overnight and happened to catch a tesco delivery driver messing with her satnav as she pulled away from the kerb. I was already composing the complaint letter in my head when I realised I was about to take a swing at tesco and achieve nothing but getting some lass fired. Keep an eye on yourselves folks, you might accidentally be a massive self-righteous oval office without realising.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Sanford posted:

Keep an eye on yourselves folks, you might accidentally be a massive self-righteous oval office without realising.

Sanford posted:

he’s a lazy useless prick

:thunkher:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ronya posted:

including one's own pension and union funds, unfortunately... and its own internal legitimacy if it rejecting balloting its members. This isn't rhetorical, it was Thatcher's answer to the flying pickets and secondary strikes - rather than relying on police confrontation alone, the government could also sequester union funds for illegal strikes, and still enjoy legitimacy for doing so because the strikers did not want to risk losing a ballot. The effectiveness of this measure was much underestimated initially on the left. It would turn out that the unions and union officers themselves also required the law's protection of private property to keep the lights on and the strike going, and conversely ad-hoc working-class illegalism is very hard to sustain if there's no legitimacy granted by a ballot

the clip is an accurate snapshot of the high-stakes politics of the period - hence, e.g., dropping concrete blocks on taxi drivers

it does also reflect that miners did not want state aid for a dignified transition out of a sunset industry, no matter what claims made in hindsight may say - they wanted to continue the mines as a way of life. Likewise, it is only after the fact that it became obvious that the struggle would turn on the question of British public opinion, because the miners were not actually in a position to exercise physical power over the means of production as they had before under Heath. If it was a physical veto, advocating killing scabs and arranging for Libyan or Soviet funds made sense - opinion be damned, the only thing that mattered who controlled the means of production. If it was about trying to sway the public, it did not.

Really admire the way you turn even the most firey impassioned things to bloodless wonkspeak. A real skill.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Guavanaut posted:

That's also assuming that this was even a genuine option on the table. The Conservatives weren't transitioning away from coal in favor of some grand environmental commitment to nuclear or tidal, they were transitioning to cheap coal from overseas, which was then dropped for popup turbine plants during the natural gas boom. The 'dignified' transition would have been the dole queue.

the conduct of organized labour in Australia today regarding the siren song of good Welsh anthracite clean coal is, I think, not different from how British labour would have behaved in this counterfactual, look at the year on this editorial

the environmental slant was not the 1980s take, however, which was more immediately concerned about creating new jobs and undoing the immediate pollution of the coal areas, rather than an energy transformation. The 1980s take of enterprise zones and UDCs was the policy initiative that existed at the time. What this meant was replacing culturally masculine hard physical roles that create a commodity upon which the nation's heavy industry mythologically depends, into Gateshead MetroCentre where culturally feminine light-industry/retail roles focus on servicing commuting shoppers arriving by car - selling consumption, not a commodity. This is the transition offered in the era -

quote:

"[This] is the kind of entrepreneurship which is back in Britain now"...

and needless to say it was not a palatable vision

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
e: nah

ronya fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Aug 12, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Sanford posted:

I am going to a funeral today, and am currently in BIG TROUBLE for suggesting a 22 year old man should have more organisation for his own grandfather’s funeral than knocking on my door three hours in advance and asking if I’ve got a black jacket he can borrow (I don’t). The youth of today, honestly. Some people. This country.

Yeah, that sounds like a dick move man, sorry. Just help the guy find a jacket.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Okay you've edited it out.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Josef bugman posted:

Ended up having a mini breakdown talk to my friend and ended up saying stuff like: "Partially because nothing I do DOES matter. I am not "enough". I've not got the store of self belief or self righteousness or anything to really be sure I stand on anything." and "I am scared that if I do all I'm doing is setting myself up to hurt either others or myself and so I need to keep telling myself I'm a worthless piece of poo poo because then I can't get hurt by anyone. If I hurt myself enough I can not be hurt by anyone else."

I've kind of wandered into a few blind alleys mentally haven't I?

I'm also finding it tricky to treat my mental health as an actual illness, because if I do I'm worried I will use it as a crutch.

Anyway going to be back for tonight and a bit of tomorrow, wanted to just say hello and vomit words everywhere as usual.

Hope everyone is having a good day and can also recommend starting strength. Back when I was going to the gym it worked really well!
FWIW this is very similar to what my brain is currently doing and it sucks and it's hard to see where 'out' is.

Let's both find it?

Sanford posted:

Consider that a 22 year old man may very well have never needed a loving black jacket in his entire adult life, abd that this is more than likely the first death he's dealt with as an adult, and society has more than likely not even CLOSE to equipped him with the emotional health and tools to deal with it properly, and maybe try some empathy whilst you're at it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mm, not everyone has their lives punctuated by deaths from an early age, it was quite surprising to me to run into people my age who had never really had to deal with it before.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

ronya posted:

the conduct of organized labour in Australia today regarding the siren song of good Welsh anthracite clean coal is, I think, not different from how British labour would have behaved in this counterfactual, look at the year on this editorial

ahahaha

Me: Arthur. Arthur! You can't just point at any problem and claim it's solvable with coal!
Arthur Scargill: *points at climate crisis* solvable with coal

Got to love that one-track mind, and he wasn't even in the RMT

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't suppose anyone knows how to help/recover a uk individual currently suffering from psychosis in a large spanish city who is on their own and with no travel insurance? The UK embassy are apparently pretty poo poo.

quote:

If you’re an EU citizen, you and your family are eligible for medical care, so that you don’t have to return to your country of origin for treatment. However, you should get the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in your country, or any equivalent document proving that you have medical insurance in a member state, since this will entitle you to prompt medical care wherever you are.

If you don’t have this card (or an equivalent document), you’ll still get immediate medical assistance, though you may be fully charged for it. You may claim a refund from your health insurance company, according to the medical costs applicable in the country where you received treatment.

Don't know if this is of any help - relates to Madrid. Probably similar in other locations:

http://www.comunidad.madrid/servicios/salud/buscador-centros-sanitarios

Can confirm from other experiences that British Embassy bears striking resemblance to chocolate teapot.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ronya posted:

the environmental slant was not the 1980s take, however, which was more immediately concerned about creating new jobs and undoing the immediate pollution of the coal areas, rather than an energy transformation. The 1980s take of enterprise zones and UDCs was the policy initiative that existed at the time. What this meant was replacing culturally masculine hard physical roles that create a commodity upon which the nation's heavy industry mythologically depends, into Gateshead MetroCentre where culturally feminine light-industry/retail roles focus on servicing commuting shoppers arriving by car - selling consumption, not a commodity. This is the transition offered in the era -

and needless to say it was not a palatable vision
He could probably have been placated by mass investment into some kind of Sasol process to make use of deep mine coal to generate oils and gasses rather than fracking or importing shale, which you can't easily do using nuclear or renewables, but really if someone's claiming nuclear is the most dangerous form of power generation, then I'm not sure it deserves much response other than
:laffo::laffo:

(Economic Analysis of Various Options of Electricity Generation: Taking into Account Health and Environmental Effects - Nils Starfelt and Carl-Erik Wikdahl)

Although true to his profession he continues to dig deeper:

quote:

but we do know that the incidence of cancer and leukaemia - particularly among children - is 10% higher in or around nuclear power stations
Not sure he wants to go down that path

(Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Oak Ridge National Laboratory e: I should credit Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory for the banana source too)

quote:

and we know from experts such as Robert Gale - who treated the victims at Chernobyl in 1986 - that more than 100,000 will die over a 30-year period.
Narrator: This did not happen.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

thespaceinvader posted:

Consider that a 22 year old man may very well have never needed a loving black jacket in his entire adult life, abd that this is more than likely the first death he's dealt with as an adult, and society has more than likely not even CLOSE to equipped him with the emotional health and tools to deal with it properly, and maybe try some empathy whilst you're at it?

This is a very good post. If I was in his position I would probably have done the same at his age except maaaybe not asked for help so last minute, but that's also part of being emotionally unable to deal with it. At 22 I couldn't even afford a black jacket/suit.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Wait, he said "the incidence of cancer and leukaemia - particularly among children - is 10% higher in or around nuclear power stations"

Yeah, okay, I can believe that the incidence of cancer is higher in children if you're putting them inside the containment building. Let's not do that.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back
0930 Maths
1100 History
1315 Reactor shielding duty
1400 English

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if children growing up next door to nuclear power stations might have any other factors in their life, such as being from poor families because all the rich fuckers are terrified about living next to nuclear power stations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Wait, he said "the incidence of cancer and leukaemia - particularly among children - is 10% higher in or around nuclear power stations"

Yeah, okay, I can believe that the incidence of cancer is higher in children if you're putting them inside the containment building. Let's not do that.

Also makes the fairly major statistical mistake that loving EVERYONE MAKES of not including the prior incidence in the statistic. 10% higher sounds like a lot but incidence of cancer and leukaemia (which is a subset of cancer so weird to include separately) in kids is loving tiny, so an increase of 10% is pretty minuscule - the incidence of cancer among children in Britain is something like 0.1859%. Meaning that a 10% increase in incidence among kids in and around power stations (how far around) would amount to that risk goign up to something like 0.197%, which is probably within the bounds of 'eh, it's probably by chance' if it even happened at all.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if children growing up next door to nuclear power stations might have any other factors in their life, such as being from poor families because all the rich fuckers are terrified about living next to nuclear power stations.
That's certainly what happened with power lines and electrical substations in the 60s and 70s, although it was less terrified rich fuckers and more that the industrial areas of the city needed the substations close, which means getting through the surrounding area somehow, and you can either come in through the posh bit upwind of the factories or the slums downwind and yeah you know who ended up with them.

So then by the 80s you've got people shouting on the TV about how the electromagnetic rays are causing higher levels of cancer in malnourished areas. Which then amplified the terrified rich fuckers effect.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, that sounds like a dick move man, sorry. Just help the guy find a jacket.

Yeah sorry, put on edge by him complaining that “his loving mum didn’t even sort his clothes out” and that my wife and I offered to take him with us two weekends in a row to get sorted out for today. Don’t turn down offers of help for almost a fortnight then start making out like its your mum’s fault you’re not ready. Add in that he didn’t bother to visit his grandad for the last three years of his life and I’m standing by “he’s a prick”.

STILL TOOK HIM INTO TOWN TO BUY HIM A JACKET DIDN’T I

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The electromagnetic waves definitely destroy something and that's house prices.

So really I'm right on board with nuclear power because it's apparently a real life Magic Circle Against Bourgeoisie.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Don't know if this is of any help - relates to Madrid. Probably similar in other locations:

http://www.comunidad.madrid/servicios/salud/buscador-centros-sanitarios

Can confirm from other experiences that British Embassy bears striking resemblance to chocolate teapot.

poo poo do I need one of those? I don't even know what my health insurance bullshit is like in the EU because I'm only technically an EU citizen. I've always gotten NHS stuff for the same price as a British citizen whenever I needed it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Miftan posted:

poo poo do I need one of those? I don't even know what my health insurance bullshit is like in the EU because I'm only technically an EU citizen. I've always gotten NHS stuff for the same price as a British citizen whenever I needed it.

Get one anyway. It's free. Obviously it'll be useless after Brexit!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Formal clothes at funerals loving suck anyway. Why is it a thing? Why can't we just wear what we want and celebrate a person's life? I'll never understand it. My extended family isn't particularly big into formalities etc, but when my Nan died I still felt obliged to buy a suit from Matalan just for that one day. She wouldn't have cared a jot - would have told me to wear what I wanted.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The electromagnetic waves definitely destroy something and that's house prices.

So really I'm right on board with nuclear power because it's apparently a real life Magic Circle Against Bourgeoisie.
I bet you could stick a modular PWR3 in Battersea.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bardeh posted:

Formal clothes at funerals loving suck anyway. Why is it a thing? Why can't we just wear what we want and celebrate a person's life? I'll never understand it. My extended family isn't particularly big into formalities etc, but when my Nan died I still felt obliged to buy a suit from Matalan just for that one day. She wouldn't have cared a jot - would have told me to wear what I wanted.

Because nobody wants to be the one oik who turns up in a a dragon shirt no matter how objectively sick the flames are, when everyone else turns up in black. So everyone wears black.

And telling people specifically not to wear black/formal is, in a sense, giving them something else to worry about. It's a funeral, you wear black, is understood and expected, so people do it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bardeh posted:

When my dad died he had said 'no black' - he wanted joyful colours. We did put that in the notice of the funeral but 95% of people still turned up in black. I wore red.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bardeh posted:

Inertia's a hell of a thing. We're still channeling the pre-Reformation Catholics through the Victorian extravagance through interwar austerity to the extent that you can put "celebration of life, dress fun" in huge letters on the RSVP and everyone will still show up in a suit because they don't want to be the one person that didn't.

I'm going to specify business casual pastels for mine just to see what people turn up in.

This also means I'll have to not be dead for my funeral, which could present difficulties, but I'll leave that to the planner.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Narrator: This did not happen.

There is a fringe scientific view (radiation hormesis) that small amounts of radiation are actually good for you. You’d think Chernobyl would be a large enough involuntary experiment that that could be proven or disproven definitively. Anyone know if it has been studied?

it would be kind of the opposite of darkly hilarious if it turned out the net effect of Chenobyl was to prevent a few thousand Finnish children of dying of leukaemia.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You do enough funerals and you start to observe that they aren't actually about the dead person, they're about everyone else, and for a lot of people they're something to just get over with as simply (and inexpensively) as possible. Organizing a funeral is not a pleasant thing because everyone is going to judge, or pointedly try not to judge, your ability to do so, so you try to do something that everyone will understand and consider acceptable, and you can't change everyone's expectations, and the corpse doesn't get a vote in it, ultimately. You have their instructions (if you're lucky) but ultimately it's you that's making the decision.

Funerals are the product of inertia, like lots of things in life. You can't really change them.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

radmonger posted:

There is a fringe scientific view (radiation hormesis) that small amounts of radiation are actually good for you

username / post combo

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

thespaceinvader posted:

incidence of cancer and leukaemia (which is a subset of cancer so weird to include separately)

They're very different things, trust me.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When my dad died he had said 'no black' - he wanted joyful colours. We did put that in the notice of the funeral but 95% of people still turned up in black. I wore red.

When my Gran died it was all joyful colours too, except amazingly pretty much everyone followed it. My Dad wore the loudest jacket I've ever seen and it was a really nice day. Sad obviously but I think the no black rule really helped.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

There is a fringe scientific view (radiation hormesis) that small amounts of radiation are actually good for you. You’d think Chernobyl would be a large enough involuntary experiment that that could be proven or disproven definitively. Anyone know if it has been studied?

it would be kind of the opposite of darkly hilarious if it turned out the net effect of Chenobyl was to prevent a few thousand Finnish children of dying of leukaemia.
The traditional view was the linear no-threshold model, that there's no safe dose and the damage done scales perfectly linearly, which is odd because almost nothing else that kills people works that way.

Hormesis is still something of a fringe view, but the LNT is quickly falling out of favor because it doesn't seem to be borne out by evidence in places with naturally high background radiation (Cornwall, Colorado, that seaside place in Iran).

HJB posted:

It's normally caused by a bone marrow cancer though isn't it?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Guavanaut posted:

It's normally caused by a bone marrow cancer though isn't it?

There's a lot of underlying similarities of course, but given one is fully treatable I'm loathe to treat it as a subset of the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

HJB posted:

I mean, I assume from context that you have personal experience, and I don't want to step on that but...

https://www.leukaemiacare.org.uk/support-and-information/information-about-blood-cancer/blood-cancer-information/leukaemia/

Leukaemia is a cancer which starts in blood-forming tissue, usually the bone marrow. It leads to the over-production of abnormal white blood cells, the part of the immune system which defends the body against infection.

HJB posted:

There's a lot of underlying similarities of course, but given one is fully treatable I'm loathe to treat it as a subset of the other.

There are a bunch of fully treatable cancers though? It's not like cancer is one monolithic disease, it's one of the most varied things to be given a single name in all of (human) disease, except maybe the common cold. Even within a single type of cancer such as breast cancer there are some which are largely treatable and some which are very much not.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've never been to a 'no black' funeral, but I rarely wear actual black anyway, I'm usually in muted colours - my normal (and only) suit is dark grey, and I don't really own many bright-coloured ties, so it'll be dark blue probably.

The only concession I've really made to dressing for funerals is getting a proper winter coat that's funeral-appropriate from the charity shop, because the last one I went to was in Lincolnshire in February and I froze my goddamn (metaphorical, if only getting rid of the fat on my chest was that easy) tits off. Fortunately it's warm and formal enough to be useful elsewhere too.