Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

HJB posted:

They're very different things, trust me.

I work specifically in lymphoma/leukemia treatment, and have a PhD in molecular oncology, and leukemia is definitely a subset of the broader term "cancer", please desist.

E: Element 86, Radon, will give you "cancer", but also makes property cheaper, so impossible to say if it's good or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'm 30 ive only had two family members I've directly known pass.

My maternal grandpa died when I was 6, so I didn't really have sufficient connection to him to feel any loss.

One of my aunt's died about 3 years ago, but this was after years and years of drunkenness and unpleasantness. I felt it was a shame she'd died - there's two kids - but again, I didn't have any real connection with her, and couldn't get time off work for the funeral.

My gran is in a care home now, has been a few months, and honestly since her stroke a year or two ago it's been a matter of time, well likely lose her before my wedding in 2021, and even if we don't, she won't be well enough to attend.

Some people just don't experience it.
My last suit was a darkish blue, but I've also gained a lot of weight over the last few years, if gran passed tomorrow, I'd need to buy or borrow a suit, and I'm lucky enough to be in a situation where I could afford one.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
gently caress's sake, fine.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

thespaceinvader posted:

I've never been to a 'no black' funeral
Maybe there'll be a typo on the RSVP when Prince Philip leaves this earth.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

When my dad died he had said 'no black'

Catastrophically misread this bit at first and was like "wow that's dedication."

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

I work specifically in lymphoma/leukemia treatment, and have a PhD in molecular oncology, and leukemia is definitely a subset of the broader term "cancer", please desist.

E: Element 86, Radon, will give you "cancer", but also makes property cheaper, so impossible to say if it's good or not

Don't we mostly separate them for statistics because blood cancers have a higher rate/risk of metastasis? I'm asking here as someone who hasn't touched biology since A-level so wholly expecting to have said something dumb.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I thought it was mostly because before we got good at screening for cancer and spotting neoplastic symptoms the standard way of spotting most cancers was "there is a tumor", whereas you didn't tend to see that with leukemia and lymphomas and there were a lot of whole body symptoms before that, and it was only later on that medicine connected the dots back to "there is a cancer happening here."

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
My gran's funeral had shots of vodka on the door for everyone at the wake. Game. I think I wore black but it was glasgow so everything looked grey anyway.

HJB posted:

gently caress's sake, fine.

Please don't comment on things you don't have a Phd in!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Miftan posted:

poo poo do I need one of those? I don't even know what my health insurance bullshit is like in the EU because I'm only technically an EU citizen. I've always gotten NHS stuff for the same price as a British citizen whenever I needed it.

Lucky you. Access to the NHS costs my wife £100 a year, on top of what she pays in taxes of course (and that got doubled just after she renewed her visa most recently, iirc)

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Bardeh posted:

Oh sweet, I guess I wasn't looking that hard because that's much more reasonable than I've been seeing. I'm handing in my notice at Royal Mail soon, but I wanna make sure I don't put all the weight I've lost back on when I stop walking like 8 miles a day, so I figured it's time to try and get buff and strong.

Can any weight lifting goons weigh in on a decent program to start with? The stronglifts 5x5 one looks pretty straightforward and there's a hugely detailed free guide for it.

This might be late, but Barbell Medicine’s programmes are the best on the market right now. They are extremely strong doctors and former Starting Strength people who moved on because SS isn’t evidence-based, among other things.

Pretty much any program (ie not just loving about) will do what you need to begin with but you will likely hit a wall quite quickly unless it’s good. 5x5 is particularly bad for that- Mahdi himself is not strong.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Filboid Studge posted:

extremely strong doctors

Who would win in a fight between extremely strong doctors and large adult sons?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Filboid Studge posted:

This might be late, but Barbell Medicine’s programmes are the best on the market right now. They are extremely strong doctors and former Starting Strength people who moved on because SS isn’t evidence-based, among other things.

Pretty much any program (ie not just loving about) will do what you need to begin with but you will likely hit a wall quite quickly unless it’s good. 5x5 is particularly bad for that- Mahdi himself is not strong.

Yeah but the beginner one is sixty loving dollars jesus

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Guavanaut posted:

Who would win in a fight between extremely strong doctors and large adult sons?

Only one way to find out.

https://gfycat.com/potablesmallbudgie

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I like that they actually provide evidence to support Ripptoe's claim that "strong people are harder to kill, and generally more useful".

It's somehow tongue in cheek and completely dead serious. It owns.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Turns out a whole bunch of public spaces in London aren't actually public

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah but the beginner one is sixty loving dollars jesus

Price of a night out for something potentially life-altering. SS can be had for free, yeah, but only 5% of people who do it follow the programme in the book properly and end up with big butts and small arms

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I like that they actually provide evidence to support Ripptoe's claim that "strong people are harder to kill, and generally more useful".

It's somehow tongue in cheek and completely dead serious. It owns.

That is very much their schtick, along with being v strong boys

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Filboid Studge posted:

big butts and small arms

Go on...

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

That's been going on up and down the country. Local Councils selling off public spaces to shady capitalists to make up budget shortfalls. Privatisation through starvation, you gotta love it.

Enjoying seeing the Greens everywhere now they can be used to block a Corbyn government. All it took was several decades of having more MP's than the BNP, UKIP, The Brexit Party and every other fascist vehicle combined to get there and completely selling out their environment message to do middle class liberalism. Gotta love it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I
biiig butts
I'm a small-arms guy

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.

related: Who owns England?

e: I just noticed what my Chrome suggests when I type g in the search bar

moostaffa fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Aug 12, 2019

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

OwlFancier posted:

Mm, not everyone has their lives punctuated by deaths from an early age, it was quite surprising to me to run into people my age who had never really had to deal with it before.

I was 27 when I went to the first and only funeral of a family member so far, definitely didn’t feel ready for it. Society is shite at prepping you for the death of a loved one, but I’m gonna pin that on society being purely geared towards the individual.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

OwlFancier posted:

Mm, not everyone has their lives punctuated by deaths from an early age, it was quite surprising to me to run into people my age who had never really had to deal with it before.

Hello, yes, this is me. While old enough for it to register, I have lost 2 grandparents at very respectable ages, who I wasn't that close to due to distance, and some family cats.

Now my parents are in their mid 60s and I have a cat of my own. Not looking forward to finding out what it's like :(

Better than the alternative though I guess

^^^ well hello unprepared buddy

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well from personal experience on the one hand people close to you dying is immediately unpleasant, but on the other hand you only have so many of them and once you work through the backlog you don't generally develop more of them to bury, so swings and roundabouts. Most people are only capable of dying once.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Ah yes, good old Doha London spaces. Unsurprising to see Tower Hamlets littered with them.

South bank and Southwark is a prime example, its a public area, but because of all the big name offices around London Bridge station, there’s security everywhere.

E: I couldn’t find the map of it which shows the extent, but really majority of London isn’t owned by British firms/individuals. I also find it slightly amusing that BA formed IAG with Iberia and other subsidiaries, which was then bought into with the largest stake (20%) by Qatar airways.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40192970

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 12, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Well from personal experience on the one hand people close to you dying is immediately unpleasant, but on the other hand you only have so many of them and once you work through the backlog you don't generally develop more of them to bury, so swings and roundabouts. Most people are only capable of dying once.

I dunno man, it seems like old people are constantly attending funerals. My grandfather goes to one every fortnight or so.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well once you get old they're basically social events.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Do you lead funerals at all? I'd be intetrested in hiring you for one if this material is representative?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I've been to funerals of people where that 'celebration of life' stuff seemed possible, but others where it rang very hollow or even cruel. There are nearly always grieving People Who Matter Most at a funeral, and it's them the clothes are for. Black is a way of showing them solidarity. If they don't want them, fine, but the opinions of the corpse are irrelevant, unless the People Who Matter Most agree.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bobstar posted:

Hello, yes, this is me. While old enough for it to register, I have lost 2 grandparents at very respectable ages, who I wasn't that close to due to distance, and some family cats.

Now my parents are in their mid 60s and I have a cat of my own. Not looking forward to finding out what it's like :(

Better than the alternative though I guess

^^^ well hello unprepared buddy

My dad died three and a half months ago after a longish decline with Alzheimers. It was five years of a kind of bewildering, inconsistent hell. Then he died and the actual death was peaceful and perfect, and my main takeaway from the time after is that when someone dies, for a while people absolutely will not leave you alone, at least until the funeral happens to cap it off for those who weren't too close.

The actual grieving is weird and complicated. Sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's like I get hit by a truck out of nowhere and wander around like I don't know what anything is.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

First funeral was age 15. Been to so many now it's almost blasé up until the point where the sadness hits you.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Do you lead funerals at all? I'd be intetrested in hiring you for one if this material is representative?

I've given two eulogies and I'm not quite sure how either of them were received :v:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Despite the last minute scramble for clothing my brother in law behaved himself and hugged his mum and only rolled his eyes a little bit when he discovered that there’s a thing after the funeral that he’s got to go to.

On related matters, does anyone know how to do a keepsake box or something? My family don’t go in for this at all but my wife does and she was super close to her grandad. I’ve got the order or service, a copy of the eulogy, a photo of my wife and her grandad together, and the gift tag from the last Christmas gift he sent her before he succumbed to dementia. If anyone with an artistic turn of mind can suggest what I might do with these things or point me towards a company that does this stuff as a service that would be amazing.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

edit^^^

Sanford posted:

my brother in law

You didn't say it was your brother in law before who you thought was useless. This probably feeds into your contempt for him.

The manner and nature of the death can obviously affect things. I haven't lost a parent whilst I was young, nor a child or spouse but I can understand the immediacy of your actual day to day life being left incomplete without them is the really tough bit to swallow. Which doesn't necessarily happen with a distant grand parent or whatever or maybe even a close friend who you only see occasionally. But its why pet's deaths, members of the household, can be so painful to deal with.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 12, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Well once you get old they're basically social events.
Yeah funerals are one of those cases where all the family, distant parts, folks that have gone overseas or are from overseas, old friends and all that get together and then usually congeal right back into separate groups (along with weddings and christenings, but both of those are going down in popularity, whereas there's not likely to be a decrease in funerals anytime soon).

Oh dear me posted:

I've been to funerals of people where that 'celebration of life' stuff seemed possible, but others where it rang very hollow or even cruel. There are nearly always grieving People Who Matter Most at a funeral, and it's them the clothes are for. Black is a way of showing them solidarity. If they don't want them, fine, but the opinions of the corpse are irrelevant, unless the People Who Matter Most agree.
I hope that galvanics have advanced enough that I get to have opinions at mine, even if it's just sitting up in the casket and saying "boo" at bad eulogies.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'm nearly 27 and do not own a suit, nor have been subject to a situation where I needed a suit.

Sometimes this just happens.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Sanford posted:

Despite the last minute scramble for clothing my brother in law behaved himself and hugged his mum and only rolled his eyes a little bit when he discovered that there’s a thing after the funeral that he’s got to go to.

On related matters, does anyone know how to do a keepsake box or something? My family don’t go in for this at all but my wife does and she was super close to her grandad. I’ve got the order or service, a copy of the eulogy, a photo of my wife and her grandad together, and the gift tag from the last Christmas gift he sent her before he succumbed to dementia. If anyone with an artistic turn of mind can suggest what I might do with these things or point me towards a company that does this stuff as a service that would be amazing.

Honestly, if this isn’t your thing and she knows it’s not your thing, just the fact that you’ve maybe got a nice box for it and filled it with those things will mean a lot.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

You can find some decent suits and jackets in op shops. I’ve picked up loads of good stuff for £5 and you’re supporting a good cause. You also tend to get proper wool suits rather than the polyester poo poo which is awful.

I think every fella should own at least one suit for formal events.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Filboid Studge posted:

These look great, cheers.

Also they have a pretty in-depth article about sex, gender, and influence on sport performance

https://www.barbellmedicine.com/blog/shades-of-gray-sex-gender-and-fairness-in-sport/

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Sanford posted:

Buy nice box. Put things in it. Done.

Ideally, make the things not just be things about the funeral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

thespaceinvader posted:

Buy nice box. Put things in it. Done.

Ideally, make the things not just be things about the funeral.

This is a good idea, doesn't have to be anything fancy. Maybe when the time comes to sort out his personal effects she might be able to get something additional to remember him by.