Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I feel like I've been cheated out of a story about turnip subsidies now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah a ton of stuff for the military is made with prison labour. Uniforms and so on.
My first thought was "how does anybody think this is okay?"

My second thought was the fact that one time I talked about a racist terrorist bomber who was targeting black people in Austin on Facebook and my mom, a proud democrat, popped up to lecture me about how my generation "makes everything about race," carrying water for a literal terrorist bomber because saying anything has a racial component to it makes white boomers bend over backwards to excuse the actions of even literal, actual murderous terrorists the moment they're made to think about race even a little bit and I remembered that I was nearing middle age when I accepted this fact and was thus part of the problem.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i imagine that in order to keep John and the writers from killing themselves after dealing with so many depressing stories, you have to do a goofy one to keep it light and oh man was this goofy

I really did not expect the last 5 minutes to completely body the Guinness Book of World Records, but i bet their PR people are going to have a very bad week defending their work with autocrats

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Yeah ... that horse is dead now. It's definitely not alive and well.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Fire 🔥

One of the best episodes this year I think, when it's just such an odd topic without serious ramifications for Americans they can just get way more creative than usual.

And in a poorly-thought-out response, Guinness is of course .. doubling down:
https://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/news/2019/8/guinness-world-records-on-last-week-tonight-with-john-oliver-586398/

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

quote:

We were disappointed to see the false and unfair allegations about Guinness World Records in Sunday’s episode of ‘Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.’

The piece appears to have been motivated by our decision not to participate in tonight’s show.

We were asked to provide a judge to officiate the so-called world record attempt for “largest cake with an image of someone falling off a horse”.

On the basis that it was merely an opportunity to mock one of our record-holders, we declined. It is our policy not to partake in any activities which may belittle their achievements or subject them to ridicule.
Interesting that they don't say which allegations were false. Which part of what was said could they even plausibly deny?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know for a fact that they definitely charge for records. My company was in talks with them about a record during a promotion we ran and one of our sister properties went fully in on one. It was $20k for the record and another $20k every two years to maintain it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mcbexx posted:

Yeah ... that horse is dead now. It's definitely not alive and well.

Then how could it be doing donuts besides a fiery crater?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Tiggum posted:

Interesting that they don't say which allegations were false. Which part of what was said could they even plausibly deny?

They didn't say specifically which allegations were false because obviously none of it is false.

And yes, paying for certification has been their business model for at least 20 years, really since the dawn of the internet meant that their books weren't lucrative anymore.

So now we get records like: Most Recent Test of a Nuclear Bomb, awarded to ... well, North Korea, obviously. It's kind of sad and also loving hilarious that among all those self-important N Korean military folk watching their latest bomb test, there's probably an official certifier from Guinness WR wondering how their life ended up like this.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Makes total sense when you think about the huge loving tools that break Guinness records.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's one of those things where if you've got all the money and power of a small country in your hands, of course you're going to spend it on worthlessly frivolous things, especially if you think it makes you look cool and solidifies your public image.

Which is also the same reason why Wayne LaPierre wastes NRA money. The NRA is just supposed to make money off of an industry of blood and frivolous spending is the main purpose for accumulating all that money. And I feel like it's worth mentioning whenever the NRA and gun control come up that the current interpretation of the second amendment was literally fabricated out of thin air. It didn't mean any of what it does now back before the 90s.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Invalid Validation posted:

Makes total sense when you think about the huge loving tools that break Guinness records.

Would you say they were... the world's biggest tools??

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I appreciated the Belle and Sebastian nod.

beathhail
Aug 21, 2015
The Behind The Bastards two hander on Turkmenbashi is fantastic and an eye opener if you think the current guy is a loon.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
This might interest those who watched the prison episode a bit back, Bernie's plans to actually do something.
https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/cs1wyx/sanders_unveils_plan_to_end_cash_bail_ban_private/

quote:

End Profiteering in Our Criminal Justice System

Ban for-profit prisons.

Make prison phone calls and other communications such as video chats free of charge.

Audit the practices of commissaries and use regulatory authority to end price gouging and exorbitant fees.

Incentivize states and localities to end police departments’ reliance on fines and fees for revenue.

Remove the profit motive from our re-entry system and diversion, community supervision, or treatment programs, and ensure people leaving incarceration or participating in diversion, community supervision, or treatment programs can do so free of charge.

End Cash Bail

End the use of secured bonds in federal criminal proceedings.

Provide grants to states to reduce their pretrial detention populations, which are particularly high at the county level, and require states to report on outcomes as a condition of renewing their funding.

Withhold funding from states that continue the use of cash bail systems.

Ensure that alternatives to cash bail are not leading to disparities in the system.

Transform the Way We Police Communities

Ensure Law Enforcement Accountability and Robust Oversight:

Rescind former Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ guidance on consent decrees.

Revitalize the use of Department of Justice investigations, consent decrees, and federal lawsuits to address systemic constitutional violations by police departments.

Ensure accountability, strict guidelines and independent oversight for all federal funds used by police departments.

End federal programs that provide military equipment to local police forces.

Create a federally managed database of police use of deadly force.

Provide grants for states and cities to establish civilian oversight agencies with enforceable accountability mechanisms.

Establish federal standards for the use of body cameras, including establishing third-party agencies to oversee the storage and release of police videos.

Mandate criminal liability for civil rights violations resulting from police misconduct.

Limit the use of “qualified immunity” to address the lack of criminal liability for civil rights violations resulting from police misconduct.

Conduct a U.S. Attorney General’s investigation whenever someone is killed in police custody.

Establish a federal no-call policy, including a registry of disreputable federal law enforcement officers, so testimony from untrustworthy sources does not lead to criminal convictions. Provide financial support to pilot local and state level no-call lists.

Ban the use of facial recognition software for policing.

Provide More Support to Police Officers and Create A Robust Non-Law Enforcement Alternative Response System:

Establish national standards for use of force by police that emphasize de-escalation.

Require and fund police officer training on implicit bias (to include biases based on race, gender, sexual orientation and identity, religion, ethnicity and class), cultural competency, de-escalation, crisis intervention, adolescent development, and how to interact with people with mental and physical disabilities. We will ensure that training is conducted in a meaningful way with strict independent oversight and enforceable guidelines.

Ban the practice of any law enforcement agency benefiting from civil asset forfeiture. Limit or eliminate federal criminal justice funding for any state or locality that does not comply.

Provide funding to states and municipalities to create civilian corps of unarmed first responders, such as social workers, EMTs, and trained mental health professionals, who can handle order maintenance violations, mental health emergencies, and low-level conflicts outside the criminal justice system, freeing police officers to concentrate on the most serious crimes.

Incentivize access to counseling and mental health services for officers.

Diversify police forces and academies and incentivize officers to live and work in the communities they serve.

Ensuring All Americans Due Process

Right to Counsel:

Triple congressional spending on indigent defense, to $14 billion annually.

After a review of current salaries and workload, set a minimum starting salary for all public defenders.

Create and set a national formula to assure populations have a minimum number of public defenders to assure full access to constitutional right to due process.

Establish federal guidelines and goals for a right to counsel, including policies that reduce the number of cases overall.

Create a federal agency to provide support and oversight for state public defense services.

Authorize the Department of Justice to take legal action against jurisdictions that are not meeting their Sixth Amendment obligations.

Cancel all existing student debt and cancel any future student debt for public defenders through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program.

Ensure Accountability and Fairness in Prosecution:

Rescind former Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ orders on prosecutorial discretion and low-level offenses.

Appoint an Attorney General committed to public safety and creating a more just and humane criminal justice system.

Limit “absolute immunity” for prosecutors, which is used to shield wrongdoers from liability.

End the practice of jailing material witnesses.

Place a moratorium on the use of the algorithmic risk assessment tools in the criminal justice system until an audit is completed. We must ensure these tools do not have any implicit biases that lead to unjust or excessive sentences.

Ending Mass Incarceration and Excessive Sentencing

Abolish the death penalty.

Reverse the Trump administration’s guidance on the use of death penalty drugs with the goal of ending the death penalty at the state level.

Stop excessive sentencing with the goal of cutting the incarcerated population in half.

End mandatory sentencing minimums.

Reinstate a federal parole system and end truth-in-sentencing. People serving long sentences will undergo a “second look” process to make sure their sentence is still appropriate.

End “three strikes” laws. No one should spend their life behind bars for committing minor crimes, even if they commit several of them.

Invigorate and expand the compassionate release process so that people with disabilities, the sick and elderly are transitioned out of incarceration whenever possible.

Expand the use of sentencing alternatives, including community supervision and publicly funded halfway houses. This includes funding state-based pilot programs to establish alternatives to incarceration, including models based on restorative justice and free access to treatment and social services.

Revitalize the executive clemency process by creating an independent clemency board removed from the Department of Justice and placed in White House.

Stop the criminalization of homelessness and spend more than $25 billion over five years to end homelessness. This includes doubling McKinney-Vento homelessness assistance grants to build permanent supportive housing, and $500 million to provide outreach to homeless people to help connect them to available services. In the first year of this plan, 25,000 Housing Trust Fund units will be prioritized for housing the homeless.

End the War on Drugs and Stop Criminalizing Addiction

Legalize marijuana and vacate and expunge past marijuana convictions, and ensure that revenue from legal marijuana is reinvested in communities hit hardest by the War on Drugs.

Provide people struggling with addiction with the health care they need by guaranteeing health care — including inpatient and outpatient substance abuse and mental health services with no copayments or deductibles — to all people as a right, not a privilege, through a Medicare-for-all, single-payer program.

Decriminalize possession of buprenorphine, which helps to treat opioid addiction, and ensure that first responders carry naloxone to prevent overdoses.

Legalize safe injection sites and needle exchanges around the country, and support pilot programs for supervised injection sites, which have shown to substantially reduce drug overdose deaths.

Raise the threshold for when drug charges are federalized, as federal charges carry longer sentences.

Work with states to fund and pursue innovative overdose prevention initiatives.

Institute a full review of the current sentencing guidelines and end the sentencing disparity between crack and cocaine.

Treat Children Like Children

Ban the prosecution of children under the age of 18 in adult courts.

Work to ensure that all juvenile facilities are designed for rehabilitation and growth.

Ensure youth are not jailed or imprisoned for misdemeanor offenses.

Ensure juveniles are not be housed in adult prisons.

End solitary confinement for youth.

Abolish long mandatory minimum sentences and life-without-parole sentences for youth.

Eliminate criminal charges for school-based disciplinary behavior that would not otherwise be criminal and invest in school nurses, counselors, teachers, teaching assistants, and small class sizes to address disciplinary issues.

Ensure every school has the necessary school counselors and wrap-around services by providing $5 billion annually to expand the sustainable community school model.

End the use of juvenile fees.

Decriminalize truancy for all youth and their parents.

Eliminate federal incentives for schools to implement zero-tolerance policies.

Invest in local youth diversion programs as alternatives to the court and prison system.

Work with teachers, school administrators, and the disability rights movement to end restraint and seclusion discipline in schools.

Reform Our Decrepit Prison System to Make Jails and Prisons More Humane

Enact a Prisoner Bill of Rights that guarantees:

Ending solitary confinement. Solitary confinement is a form of torture and unconstitutional, plain and simple.

Access to free medical care in prisons and jails, including professional and evidence-based substance abuse and trauma-informed mental health treatment.

Incarcerated trans people have access to all the health care they need.

Access to free educational and vocational training. This includes ending the ban on Pell Grants for all incarcerated people without any exceptions.

Living wages and safe working conditions, including maximum work hours, for all incarcerated people for their labor.

The right to vote. All voting-age Americans must have the right and meaningful access to vote, whether they are incarcerated or not. We will re-enfranchise the right to vote to the millions of Americans who have had their vote taken away by a felony conviction.

Ending prison gerrymandering, ensuring incarcerated people are counted in their communities, not where they are incarcerated.

Establishment of an Office of Prisoner Civil Rights and Civil Liberties within the Department of Justice to investigate civil rights complaints from incarcerated individuals and provide independent oversight to make sure that prisoners are housed in safe, healthy, environments.

Protection from sexual abuse and harassment, including mandatory federal prosecution of prison staff who engage in such misconduct.

Access to their families — including unlimited visits, phone calls, and video calls.

A determination for the most appropriate setting for people with disabilities and safe, accessible conditions for people with disabilities in prisons and jails.

Ensure a Just Transition Post-Release

Make expungement broadly available.

Remove legal and regulatory barriers and facilitate access to services so that people returning home from jail or prison can build a stable and productive life.

Create a federal agency responsible for monitoring re-entry.

“Ban the box” by removing questions regarding conviction histories from job and other applications.

Enact fair chance licensing reform to remove unfair restrictions on occupational licensure based on criminal history.

Increase funding for re-entering youth programs. We will also pass a massive youth jobs program to provide jobs and job-training opportunities for disadvantaged young Americans who face high unemployment rates.

Guarantee safe, decent, affordable housing.

Remove the profit motive from our re-entry system and diversion, community supervision, or treatment programs, and ensure people leaving incarceration or participating in diversion, community supervision, or treatment programs can do so free of charge.

Guarantee jobs and free job training at trade schools and apprenticeship programs.

End Cycles of Violence and Provide Support to Survivors of Crime

Focus law enforcement resources to dramatically increase the solve rate of the most serious offenses, such as shootings, homicides, and sexual assaults.

Fund Cure Violence and similar proven effective violence interruption models to stop violent incidents before they begin.

Fund programs for people who are at serious risk of being either the perpetrator or victim of gun violence, provide non-law enforcement-led services including job training and placement assistance, education, and help covering basic needs such as housing, food, and transportation.

Provide funding to end the national rape kit backlog and institute new rules requiring that rape kits be tested and that victims are provided with updates on the status of their rape kits.

Address gender-based violence on college campuses by reversing Education Secretary Betsy DeVos’ decision to weaken Title IX protections. We will protect and enforce Title IX.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 19, 2019

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Excellent episode tonight. You'd really hope that the medical field would be the one place in the world where racial and gender biases don't permeate but nope! The joke at the end about bringing a white guy is something I've literally seen happening in real-time where a woman's pain wasn't being taken seriously until her husband restated it verbatim to the practitioner.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

honestly they could have done an entire 20 minutes on America's atrocious mortality rates during childbirth, especially for non-white mothers. Propublica has done some really excellent work in this area, the numbers are horrible and even when you adjust for money black women in particular are dying at much higher rates than others who are giving birth, due to a lot of the same factors John talked about in this episode.

Put another way: literally one of the most famous black women in the whole entire world had serious, potentially fatal complications during childbirth and if Serena loving Williams is still subject to the inherent bias of the medical profession, imagine how much harder it is for a woman who doesn't have her access to literally the best technology.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

This might interest those who watched the prison episode a bit back, Bernie's plans to actually do something.
https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/cs1wyx/sanders_unveils_plan_to_end_cash_bail_ban_private/

If you watch this show and aren't voting Bernie I don't even know what to tell you.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Well it's not as if this show ever acknowledges his existence

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hakkesshu posted:

Well it's not as if this show ever acknowledges his existence

Hey John went out of his way to let us know it was mathematically impossible for Bernie to beat Hillary in 2016.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Orange Devil posted:

If you watch this show and aren't voting Bernie I don't even know what to tell you.

Right now, I see Bernie promising everything to everybody and almost for free (well, we just won't notice the cost, so kind-of for free). That doesn't impress me. He and a couple others are coming off like they'll say anything, no matter how crazy, just to get elected. I know that's always been the case in politics, but now it doesn't even seem slightly realistic. They're doing what Trump did, except with real problems instead of imagined ones. But it's still "elect me and I'll make all the bad go away, it's so simple!", and how anyone is falling for it is beyond me.

And also, well, maybe Hillary wasn't the right woman for the job. But does that mean we seriously need to consider only super-old white guys? Can we seriously not get some diversity here?

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Orange Devil posted:

Or there’s Liz Warren who seems to make the most sense.

But to be honest, I’ll vote for any Dem who becomes the candidate. I suggest you do, too.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

tarlibone posted:

Right now, I see Bernie promising everything to everybody and almost for free

MAGIC MONEY TREE :byodood:

He'll tax the rich, it's not rocket science

CaveGrinch posted:

But to be honest, I’ll vote for any Dem who becomes the candidate. I suggest you do, too.

And this is why the Dems keep nominating a bunch of lovely neolibs

Rarity fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 19, 2019

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CaveGrinch posted:

Or there’s Liz Warren who seems to make the most sense.

literally every one of liz's plans is 'what if bernie, but worse', from her medical plan with an absurdly high cap for what patients pay to her weird 'no child left behind, but hospitals too' reform idea, to her tax plan. She has no actual better ideas.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

MAGIC MONEY TREE :byodood:

He'll tax the rich, it's not rocket science

It actually is as complicated as rocket science, and your statement is why people who actually are informed about some of the issues don't get how people can hear Bernie speak and not get even a tiny bit skeptical about his plans' feasibility. Paying for the plan isn't the only thing to consider, and I don't get how his fans don't see this. (And that assumes that his plan for paying for it would suffice.) ((And that assumes that taxing the rich is something the President would be able to push through the House and Senate.))

Additionally, the unintended consequences of just, say, Medicare For All could easily be disastrous to the economy if done in the hamfisted way that Bernie is suggesting. I happen to have quite a lot of inside knowledge about Medicare, the CMS, and private health insurance. Medicare only works at all right now because it is the primary payer for a small (but growing) portion of the population. It was designed to work within a profit-based system to keep a small minority of people from being devastated by the high cost of hospital bills. As such, it's largely non-managed (you don't need a PCP), and it exists to pay the bills, whatever they are. Asterisk. HUGE ASTERISK on that one. But I'm not going to get into it because I'm not sure if you'd believe me if I told you how much Medicare paid on things. It's one of the reasons why there are a lot of doctors who totally opt-out of accepting Medicare as a payer.

Bernie is offering ultra-simple solutions to extremely complicated problems, and he even presents the problems as really simple. And, his solutions have little hope of getting through Congress, and probably passing some judicial reviews. And mind you, he is fully aware of all of this. It's intellectually dishonest and blatantly so; if you choose to believe it, be my guest.

I'll only vote for him if he's the guy running against Trump.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

tarlibone posted:

Better Things Aren't Possible
:qqsay:

Doctors can afford to opt out of Medicare when they have enough patients with non-Medicare insurance/enough cash to pay them the rates they desire. When the vast majority of potential patients are MfA and the options are getting paid the Medicare amount and getting paid $0 by not treating that patient, guess which one they'll pick?

tarlibone posted:

I'll only vote for him if he's the guy running against Trump.
:wtc: You're aware that Trump is the president and that, by definition, literally everyone else running for president is running against him?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Excellent episode tonight. You'd really hope that the medical field would be the one place in the world where racial and gender biases don't permeate but nope! The joke at the end about bringing a white guy is something I've literally seen happening in real-time where a woman's pain wasn't being taken seriously until her husband restated it verbatim to the practitioner.

It's just loving horrifying that medicine in some areas hasn't evolved since antiquity.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Rarity posted:

And this is why the Dems keep nominating a bunch of lovely neolibs
By the time you get to the general, there are two options. You vote for the least lovely one and fight harder in the primary the next time.

You don't put Trump in the white house for spite because you didn't fall in love with a centrist.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

You don't put Trump in the white house for spite because you didn't fall in love with a centrist.

Yeah when's that ever happened.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I mean... that's exactly my point?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
you mean the time Sanders voters went with Hillary in way better numbers than hers did with Obama?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

"Vote Blue No Matter Who" completely ignores the political reality of most people, including moderates. It's the losing strategy the dems have kept trying since 2000. It wasn't Bernie Bros or misogyny or the electoral college that lost 2016, it was Hillary thinking she was the default choice.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

tarlibone posted:

Right now, I see Bernie promising everything to everybody and almost for free (well, we just won't notice the cost, so kind-of for free). That doesn't impress me. He and a couple others are coming off like they'll say anything, no matter how crazy, just to get elected. I know that's always been the case in politics, but now it doesn't even seem slightly realistic. They're doing what Trump did, except with real problems instead of imagined ones. But it's still "elect me and I'll make all the bad go away, it's so simple!", and how anyone is falling for it is beyond me.

And also, well, maybe Hillary wasn't the right woman for the job. But does that mean we seriously need to consider only super-old white guys? Can we seriously not get some diversity here?

Hahahahahahhhahahahhahahhahahahahahahahaahhaahahahhahahahahahahahahhah

Source your quotes.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'I don't get it, we ran someone who was as disliked as trump, who refused to go to loving wisconson as part of some crazy mind game, who spent most of the campaign preaching to the choir that trump was a meanie and that better things can't happen, and felt so entitled to a win she spent more time trying to rack up the score in California or thinking Texas will turn blue in her massive wake than she spent in the 'blue wall'...and she lost?'

'fuckin bernie bros am I right guys?'

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Also remember that there was a concerted Russian effort to affect votes in the swing states that won the election for Trump. You can't chalk it up to some electoral masterstroke when the election was won by 40,000 votes in ~12 rural districts when even the government now admits that the Russians had the ability to alter votes in the 2016 election and the Trump campaign shared their voter data and strategy with the Russians who had house-by-house detail on voters from Cambridge Analytica/Facebook.
:shrug:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

tarlibone posted:

Haha, I just spotted this bit. Electing a woman/BAME/LGBTQ+ candidate doesn't mean poo poo if they're just going to reinforce the systemic prejudices that discriminate against minorities throughout society.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

tarlibone posted:

I'm a gigantic stupid loving rear end in a top hat!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
'Doing good things would never pass through Congress'

*somehow the person suggesting the good things is bad for not making his solutions complicated enough*

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also remember that there was a concerted Russian effort to affect votes in the swing states that won the election for Trump. You can't chalk it up to some electoral masterstroke when the election was won by 40,000 votes in ~12 rural districts when even the government now admits that the Russians had the ability to alter votes in the 2016 election and the Trump campaign shared their voter data and strategy with the Russians who had house-by-house detail on voters from Cambridge Analytica/Facebook.
:shrug:

I mean, at the end of the day the Russian effort was dumb facebook poo poo that was actually kinda small potatoes, there were no votes changed. We have that happen a lot in elections, most candidates are good enough to handle that but Hillary's campaign was so anemic that yea some dipshits in Russia spamming "HILLARY MURDERS BALD EAGLE FOR SEXUAL PLEASURE?????" stories hurt her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

tarlibone posted:

But it's still "elect me and I'll make all the bad go away, it's so simple!", and how anyone is falling for it is beyond me.

Maybe you missed the part where Bernie said electing him is not enough. I can understand if you hear Bernie talking about real solutions to real problems and your brain shuts off because you are accustomed to shitlib rhetoric. What do you think he could do to keep your attention better such that he may actually reach people like you?