Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I'm not usually a fan of like "oh I would have written it this way" stuff, but I was watching the Kristen Bell "Hot Ones" and they started talking Game of Thrones, and her messy ending where Dany doesn't just like immediately die from being stabbed once and instead it turns into a screaming fight where Jon has to really go after her would have been loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOlQWNGAAbM&t=1351s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

In Spanish the show is called Throne of Swords which is pretty :rock:

Which country? I've only ever seen it called Juego de Tronos

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

I'm not usually a fan of like "oh I would have written it this way" stuff, but I was watching the Kristen Bell "Hot Ones" and they started talking Game of Thrones, and her messy ending where Dany doesn't just like immediately die from being stabbed once and instead it turns into a screaming fight where Jon has to really go after her would have been loving amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOlQWNGAAbM&t=1351s
gently caress it. just have a full on boss fight with Drogon lurking behind her, laying down AOE attacks and forcing Jon hide behind pillars between melee phases.

maybe Kristen Bell is secretly that weirdo who adds healthbars to everything on youtube.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Kristen Bell is too good for this world.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Saint Drogo posted:

gently caress it. just have a full on boss fight with Drogon lurking behind her, laying down AOE attacks and forcing Jon hide behind pillars between melee phases.

maybe Kristen Bell is secretly that weirdo who adds healthbars to everything on youtube.

Her typical schtick, in my opinion, is more "funnily realistic reactions to sitcom situations".

But she is too forking good for this world.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Saint Drogo posted:

It's pretty clear she's not talking about Dany actually going toe-to-toe with Jon, just that it could have been a lot messier and emotionally wrenching if there was any kind of struggle.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Honestly a climactic lightsaber sword duel with Jon having to kill Dany while screaming that she was supposed to save the kingdoms, not destroy them, seems pretty on point for the unsubtle nature of the conclusion, but :effort: I guess.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

UltraRed posted:

Posting to remind people that the Umber going home to recruit men, then having the Night King nail him to the wall with those patterns that turned out to mean absolutely nothing, made no sense.

They're sending "a message"? None of them loving talk! Also, they were able to make it there from Winterfell and back without encountering the Night King's men. Stupid.

Most likely the reason why the white walkers were such a dud is that the upcoming GoT spinoff/prequel is all about white walkers. It's all dumb.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

not a bot posted:

Most likely the reason why the white walkers were such a dud is that the upcoming GoT spinoff/prequel is all about white walkers. It's all dumb.

Why would they make a show about a thing that turned out to be a 10,000 year old wet fart that was solved in a moderately intense evening

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

sweet thursday posted:

Why would they make a show about a thing that turned out to be a 10,000 year old wet fart that was solved in a moderately intense evening

Because they wanted to make a new show to keep the money flowing so they chose to make it about something that people who watched GoT will recognize. As far as I know it's currently being filmed lmao

Realpest
Jul 26, 2019

sweet thursday posted:

While dumb, they know the masses will look for something to redeem the falling short of the GOT Season 8

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

sweet thursday posted:

the army of the loving dead is less historically important than the loving Trident.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

not a bot posted:

Robert's rebellion would've been a way more interesting show. Or the war thayxmade the rargaryens rulers.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Wasabi the J posted:

the army of the loving dead is less historically important than the loving Trident.

Of all the failures of the last season I think that ends up being the worst one.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
it turned out that howland reed was us, the readers, bot not rodrik harlaw, the reader

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Still lollin that Jon's parentage, arguably the entire reason the rebellion happened, amounted to him riding a dragon like two times.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Away all Goats posted:

Still lollin that Jon's parentage, arguably the entire reason the rebellion happened, amounted to him riding a dragon like two times.

Not to mention boffing his aunt

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

but The Prince Who Was Promised

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it’s important because it makes him a kinslayer, and we know the gods aren’t fond of kinslayers, so we know jon is gonna go to old gods hell

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

it’s important because it makes him a kinslayer, and we know the gods aren’t fond of kinslayers, so we know jon is gonna go to old gods hell

He already had to be in season 8 though so it's probably a step up

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
If only he beheaded himself like Ned taught him

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

It's pretty clear she's not talking about Dany actually going toe-to-toe with Jon, just that it could have been a lot messier and emotionally wrenching if there was any kind of struggle.
seems like that would kill the mood they were going for even harder. otoh it was stillborn anyway, so upping the silly could only help.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Okay so cause I liked the show when it was good I'm reading the first three books and gonna stop there. I'm sick of CreepyRMartins weird sex hangups leaking into the text (milky teats *shudder*) but do like the kinda iron Age british myth making that permiates the north of the wall/brans raven quest plus stuff ripped from English history sections of the story.

Can anyone recommend any similarly themed historical fiction, preferably without milky teats?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bernard Cornwell books?

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

jazzyjay posted:

Okay so cause I liked the show when it was good I'm reading the first three books and gonna stop there. I'm sick of CreepyRMartins weird sex hangups leaking into the text (milky teats *shudder*) but do like the kinda iron Age british myth making that permiates the north of the wall/brans raven quest plus stuff ripped from English history sections of the story.

Can anyone recommend any similarly themed historical fiction, preferably without milky teats?

Johnathon Strange and Mr. Norrell might tickle your fancy plus it's a pretty good book either way.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

jazzyjay posted:

R. Scott Bakker’s Prince of Nothing trilogy is a fantasy retelling of the First Crusade, but the sex poo poo is even weirder than GRRM, so it might not be up your alley.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

:siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren:

Fantasy Author is sex weird!

More infos at 12!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

:siren: BREAKING NEWS :siren:

Fantasy Author is sex weird!

More infos at 12!

I mean people are into weird sex stuff. There are fetishes which range from the hilarious to the outlandish. "Liking milky tits" doesn't actually seem that out there to me. It's definitely an extant fetish. Do you really think it's a form of characterization that fantasy authors overuse so much?

I feel like Americans, in particular, have a real puritanical streak, and start to get uncomfortable the moment sex strays from non-miscegenated, cis, missionary sex.

I remember when there was a sex scene in the movie Splice, and a lot of American audiences talked about the scene or laughed at it, and the director was interviewed and he said Americans basically just need to grow up. In Europe people didn't make a big deal out of the scene, because you know, they have a far more mature relationship with the fact that human beings have sex.

Bold Robot posted:

R. Scott Bakker’s Prince of Nothing trilogy is a fantasy retelling of the First Crusade, but the sex poo poo is even weirder than GRRM, so it might not be up your alley.

I don't think you're giving a fair or accurate representation of how weird and gross and bizarre those books are.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm European,Fantasy authors are kinda sex weird even from a less prude standpoint.

ESPECIALLY Marion Zimmer-Bradley.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I'm European,Fantasy authors are kinda sex weird even from a less prude standpoint.

ESPECIALLY Marion Zimmer-Bradley.

She was a literal child rapist. She raped her own child over and over and over. I'm not sure it's fair to classify all fantasy authors with the ones who were actively abusive, though if there's a much higher incidence of that inside the author community that's a cause for concern.

Sorry for accusing you of being American.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

pseudanonymous posted:

I mean people are into weird sex stuff. There are fetishes which range from the hilarious to the outlandish. "Liking milky tits" doesn't actually seem that out there to me. It's definitely an extant fetish. Do you really think it's a form of characterization that fantasy authors overuse so much?

I feel like Americans, in particular, have a real puritanical streak, and start to get uncomfortable the moment sex strays from non-miscegenated, cis, missionary sex.

I remember when there was a sex scene in the movie Splice, and a lot of American audiences talked about the scene or laughed at it, and the director was interviewed and he said Americans basically just need to grow up. In Europe people didn't make a big deal out of the scene, because you know, they have a far more mature relationship with the fact that human beings have sex.

In Europe we don’t have these weird hang ups about loving our genetically engineered super children while our wives watch. You have a little growing up to do America

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

In Europe we don’t have these weird hang ups about loving our genetically engineered super children while our wives watch. You have a little growing up to do America

I'm not saying that there should be no reaction to that scene, but uncomfortable laughter to avoid examining the implications is a sign of immaturity.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Europe is not a country

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Very astute.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

I'm not saying that there should be no reaction to that scene, but uncomfortable laughter to avoid examining the implications is a sign of immaturity.

Laughter is an evaluation of the scene, saying "this is a pretty good attempt at an aristocrats joke"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

I've never heard of this movie but lol at the gifs that popped up when I searched for it. I think maybe people were weirded out by that scene because it wasn't human beings having sex.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't think you're giving a fair or accurate representation of how weird and gross and bizarre those books are.

Oh yeah, even setting aside the BLACK DEMON SEED poo poo, the author's cuckold fixation shapes the plot and the characters' interactions in a very big way, so it's really the opposite of what OP asked for

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
if you want to read little kid poo poo how bout you go read chronicles of narnia you silly bitch

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed
seriously bud, you're in the GOT thread were kind of dark people in here >: ) so your question is basically retarded to ask here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The more creepy sex weirdness the better, imo