Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

PhantomPayne posted:

It's always horrifying learning that the medical education is broken pretty much everywhere.

When I was an intern (in mexico) we had to do "night guards" every third day. We would work 36 hours + extra time depending on your rotating service (internal medicine loved doing expositions and classes, so we were out at 6, and surgery was pretty much operating all day, sometimes finishing the day at 7ish).

Pretty much every night guard was a skeleton team with 3 residents and an intern that were all hungry, tired and sleep deprived, but loving something up (a note, a class, or not reading up a new article) would get you punished and get you another night guard, which would in turn become a vicious cycle.

There was one ortho resident who basically resigned himself to living his whole first year inside the resident quarters since most of his higher ups liked to gently caress with him and punish him for any single detail.

I saw a lot of breakdowns, and they would be pretty much be ignored by the education staff since, "thats real life" and "if you cant handle stress you aren't cut out to be a doctor".

Last I heard, the night guards were now every fourth day, which sounds a bit better, but our health education system should get a whole revamp considering how stressful it is for a 23 year old thats integral for a hospital to function correctly.
Sheesh! Its broken here in nz too. I'm always hovering around going to med school but stories like this make me just want to continue working in libraries my whole life.

To contribute: There is an urban myth from the peninsula i'm from called 'mr. mawhogaloga man'. In restrospect, it might be a racist thing because it might have been derived from Te Reo Māori but regardless! The story went as such:

A local farmer became a volunteer rural ambulance driver. One night, his wife got really sick so he drove her to the city. Only, he was drinking and took a wrong turn. The ambulance tipped off a large embankment and his wife died instantly. Since that night, he become a terror of the night. He'd wander around other farms and cry in the bush. He was a recluse who would intentionally scare trampers by yelling/jumping at them but he was never physically violent.

Actually thinking about it now, this story really stigmatizes ill health and bad mental health so drat it. But as a kid, we'd be told about Mr. Mawhogaloga man around campfires and before burma trails. All my friends who grew up on the same peninsula know the story but none of us know where it came from. I haven't been able to find any references online, the only reference is a comment i made on reddit like a decade ago: https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/8kc7p/what_is_the_scariest_experience_youve_ever_had/c09ki7b/ lol, and I think it was probably something a camp leader made up in the 80s or something. OR WAS IT.

Lampsacus has a new favorite as of 05:24 on Aug 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

WaywardWoodwose posted:

A couple of years ago I read this great article about an unheard of number of cases of scurvy in California. It was seriously creepy, so many cases, in average twenty year olds, right in the middle of L.A..
long story short, it turned out they were all med school students who could only afford/had time to eat at the same lovely hot dog place.
ordinary young people, working and studying all the time, some surviving on a a loving hotdog a day for months (at 50 cents a piece so probably not a great dog), until teeth started falling out.

Should’ve gotten the sauerkraut.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Pick posted:

I've never run into a real-life conventional employment situation that was like medical residency, grad school, art school, or any of the other places where they get off on pretentious torture.

A no-poo poo succeed or live in debt startup is comparable, but goddamn the rewards are much better and the failure is the same. Note that I’ve been both a U of C philosophy major (undergrad, dropped out as grad school was terrifying) and employee #1 of a ( failed) startup.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Kitfox88 posted:

STEM grads are some of the most delusional idiots that I’ve had the displeasure of interacting with.

:hmmyes:

I've got a history degree and am working on a CS degree.

Programming = challenging, but satisfying
Writing a 12 page essay = loving kill me please

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Academia is designed to make you insane and unintelligible.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
https://interestingengineering.com/alternative-medicine-vaginal-steaming-treatment-leaves-woman-with-second-degree-burns

https://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/health/doctor-warns-women-not-put-18882040

:catstare:

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

HopperUK posted:

I've subscribed! Hearty recommend to folks in the thread.

e: I had conflated your channel somehow with Lemmino who I also watched last night, but my recommendation stands:)

I thank you! I'm putting some finishing touches on the next one today, then posting tomorrow. It won't be as dark, but it's still strange.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Academia is designed to make you insane and unintelligible.
Academia is reciting scores like the devil's paraquito.

zapffe posted:

In depressive states, the mind may be seen in the image of such an antler, in all its fantastic splendour pinning its bearer to the ground.
The only good of universities is to provide settings for lurking horror and other unnerving stories.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Brawnfire posted:

The idea that I could be operated on by someone who would fall asleep behind the wheel is so, so frightening. It already takes me a lot of mental effort to be okay with another ape poking around in my inner ape-parts.
I've heard that the logic behind the absurdly long residency shifts is so that you're switching patient's primary carer less often, because the switchover is when things are most likely to drop through the cracks. The trade-off, obviously, is that humans need sleep and requiring such long shifts means people aren't thinking clearly for the back half of theirs, which also means things can drop through the cracks.

This isn't me defending horrible work practices, just pointing out that the root of the practice isn't malicious.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

PetraCore posted:

I've heard that the logic behind the absurdly long residency shifts is so that you're switching patient's primary carer less often, because the switchover is when things are most likely to drop through the cracks. The trade-off, obviously, is that humans need sleep and requiring such long shifts means people aren't thinking clearly for the back half of theirs, which also means things can drop through the cracks.

This isn't me defending horrible work practices, just pointing out that the root of the practice isn't malicious.

I mean that makes sense, even switching GPs or therapists I've had medical records dropped, medications omitted or amounts changed, etc. In a hectic hospital setting I could see it getting someone killed.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

I mean that makes sense, even switching GPs or therapists I've had medical records dropped, medications omitted or amounts changed, etc. In a hectic hospital setting I could see it getting someone killed.
Yeah Dr. Sydnee McElroy went into the history of the practice on one episode of Sawbones and she said there's not consensus in the medical community if it's safer to have shorter shifts with more switchover or longer shifts but sleep deprivation, because that's one of those things where you probably ought to do a proper study on it which would take getting quite a few hospitals to participate over a period of years. Basically give it the same level of scrutiny as other medical practices to determine what's actually safest.

EDIT: I mean shorter shifts would certainly be safer for the doctors though, lmao.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sawbones is a good informational podcast.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

:ohno:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Please don’t scald your pussies. How does this poo poo ever catch on?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Patriarchy

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
You could probably convince at least a few white people to shoot themselves with a crossbow if you told them it was a traditional ayurvedic cleansing ritual suppressed by big pharma.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Same way a lot of the woo stuff catches on.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

buddhist nudist posted:

You could probably convince at least a few white people to shoot themselves with a crossbow if you told them it was a traditional ayurvedic cleansing ritual suppressed by big pharma.

Carefully align the healing copper bolt with the anahata, or "heart chakra", and trigger the applicator.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Gwyneth Paltrow's Goop

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've heard of steamed clams, but this is just getting silly.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

PetraCore posted:

IMO, some of the worst and most horrific work practices come from ideas that aren't malicious. If they were malicious, they'd be easier to to get rid of.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Solice Kirsk posted:

:vince:

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Solice Kirsk posted:

:emptyquote:

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

PetraCore posted:

Plus the hospitals are trying to have enough providers to cover for their patient load, residents are extraordinarily cheap labor, and in general won't just bail out on work at the end of a shift because they're tired. Patient numbers keep going up and up but the number of med school graduates can't keep pace.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

a mysterious cloak posted:

Plus the hospitals are trying to have enough providers to cover for their patient load, residents are extraordinarily cheap labor, and in general won't just bail out on work at the end of a shift because they're tired. Patient numbers keep going up and up but the number of med school graduates can't keep pace.

Also, you can’t quit if you are a resident. It’s not easy to walk away as an attending, but if your OK with dealing with the no compete and hauling rear end elsewhere you in theory can do that. It takes financial reserve and a lot of willingness to deal with bullshit, but you have marketable skills and permission to use them

If you are a resident? Sorry. Transferring out is incredibly hard to do. Walk out? You just walked out on the opportunity to make good on all that debt and years of schooling. You’re stuck there, period. You might not even qualify for a real medical license in a lot of states so you would just be done.

And it’s not like you just apply for a job as a trainee. You apply to places you like and if they like you, then you go on an interview. You’ll spend a few hours hanging out, meet a few people, get a guided tour of an hour or two at most. You have to make a call on what amounts to a 3-5 year commitment based on that.

When the interviews are all done you rank from first to last the places you interviewed at and would like to go. Residency programs do the same thing with applicants. You can choose not to rank a place you hated, but most people will rank everywhere they interview.

Then those lists get fed into a black box algorithm and spit out a result. Allegedly weighted towards the applicant. That result is binding. Whatever that algorithm spits out your are obliged to go there. You signed a contract that says you’ll sign the contract for whatever place you match. If you don’t, well you may not get to apply to residency again. Ever.

Upside is the residency program is obliged to take you. If a program gets a lovely resident though they can deal with that situation far easier than a resident who finds themselves in a lovely or malignant program.

Match into a program you hate? Too bad. Getting a transfer is a Massive hurdle, and you need to very careful about how you go about it. Most cases I have heard of (I know of one) involve things like death and major life changes like got married to someone who matched at another program.

If you are married to someone in the match the stakes just got higher. If they’re in a tougher field it gets a lot harder to place both of you in the same region, let alone the same hospital. Relationships do end or go on multi-year long distance hitches because of the match.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

:rolleyes:

People do stupid poo poo regardless of gender.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

If the ratio of properly trained medical personnel keeps going further out of whack it seems like it'd make sense for medical and premed schooling to be heavily subsidized, just from a, like, societal health viewpoint. The schooling and training is already hard enough without filtering out potential people with the debt.

It's a pipe dream, I know.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The cost and elitism of medical school is inflated to create an artificial shortage of doctors

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

ubachung posted:

:rolleyes:

People do stupid poo poo regardless of gender.

The constant social message that women's genitals are dirty, stinky, and loose certainly seems mostly driven by male sexual preference.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

The constant social message that women's genitals are dirty, stinky, and loose certainly seems mostly driven by male sexual preference.

If you think this sort of thing wouldn't happen in a world without men then I don't know what to tell you.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

ubachung posted:

If you think this sort of thing wouldn't happen in a world without men then I don't know what to tell you.

The Feminine Mist-eek

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

ubachung posted:

Yes people would probably always find a way to oppress each other.

However, world without men would be so radically different that imagining such a place is useless for the current topic, and using that lame attempt at completely theoretical whataboutism as an excuse to hand wave away current societal oppression that living breathing women face right now makes me think you may just possibly be a misogynist 🤷🏾‍♀️

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Yes people would probably always find a way to oppress each other.

However, world without men would be so radically different that imagining such a place is useless for the current topic, and using that lame attempt at completely theoretical whataboutism as an excuse to hand wave away current societal oppression that living breathing women face right now makes me think you may just possibly be a misogynist 🤷🏾‍♀️

I used to enjoy your posting but at some point you switched from rational thought to pure ideology.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Like, yes people do dumb poo poo not related to women living under constant scrutiny/pressure, but ear candling didn't get full write-ups in papers and related endorsements from Gwenyth Paltrow. Vaginal steam treatments were getting pushed in fairly mainstream spas for a little bit.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TrueAnonPod/status/1160698485248630784?s=19

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

ubachung posted:

I'm trying to figure what pressure between women sans men would cause them to injure their natural anatomy to meet an unrealistic standard, but if you can think of one I'd love to hear it. Perhaps there will be impossible numbers of persnickety lesbians who won't gently caress with loose or stank pussy despite having their own, and the industry would be born again in this hypothetical mono-sexual society. But if you think the overwhelming sexual pressure of men has literally no ill effect on the psychology of women, up to and including damaging their bodies in various ways, then I really don't know what world you're living in.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Brawnfire posted:

But if you think the overwhelming sexual pressure of men has literally no ill effect on the psychology of women, up to and including damaging their bodies in various ways, then I really don't know what world you're living in.

I never said any of this so you can gently caress right off. What a bunch of disingenuous bullshit.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

ubachung posted:

I never said any of this so you can gently caress right off. What a bunch of disingenuous bullshit.

Lol ok

I'd ask what did you think was meant by "Patriarchy" as a response, exactly, and the point behind your subsequent asinine hypothetical about a world without men, but clearly it's not worth the query.

Edit: Now that I've gone back and thought about it, perhaps I was too hasty. Just because you poo-pooed the concept of patriarchy as "ideological" and said a world without men would be just as socially oppressive as this one, doesn't mean I should assume you devalue women's experiences regarding a lack of sexual agency in a world shaped by male sexual desire. That was really jumping the gun!

Brawnfire has a new favorite as of 03:42 on Aug 13, 2019

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Koalas March posted:

However, world without men would be so radically different that imagining such a place is useless

Rather than trying to imagine such a world I think we should focus our efforts on bringing it about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

PetraCore posted:

It's especially sad, because the solution is to hire enough doctors to have overlap. Same way we do it with temperamental and dangerous machinery. Unfortunately hiring more people is the last thing any business will do, and medical school costs too much for supply of doctors to keep up.

ubachung posted:

I used to enjoy your posting but at some point you switched from rational thought to pure ideology.
please source your quotes.