Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
gently caress those Nazis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Bored As gently caress posted:

DON’T CALL IT A COMEBACK: THE STAYING POWER OF THE ISLAMIC STATE
Bottom Line Up Front:

I work in the MIC and I swear to god I thought Bottom Line Up Front was a made up thing my manager came up with so he could role play a cool army dude, but here it is. So I guess I learned something today.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

I work in the MIC and I swear to god I thought Bottom Line Up Front was a made up thing my manager came up with so he could role play a cool army dude, but here it is. So I guess I learned something today.

I mean it is used pretty much exclusively by *cool army dudes*

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

The concept of putting the bottom line up front is one of those rare actual good ideas that the military uses. The amount of poo poo I have to wade through in most corporate emails just to find the actual point is staggering.

e: I'm not saying one should actually write "Bottom line up front," but the opening sentence or sentences definitely tell someone what the message is actually about.

psydude fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Aug 12, 2019

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/mikesisak/status/1160887245999681536?s=19

The massive conspiracy that led to Epstein's death has the perfect cover in our incredibly broken justice system

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

orange juche posted:

I mean it is used pretty much exclusively by *cool army dudes*

Everyone else says "tldr" and puts it at the end which is annoying when you want the summary at the beginning!

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

Everyone else says "tldr" and puts it at the end which is annoying when you want the summary at the beginning!

The thesis statement goes at the top, TL:DR at the bottom for those who skim.

edit: It also didn't help my credulity that he said it in meetings as BLUF(actually said the acronym): blah blah blah, instead of saying bottom line up front for those of us without the knowing of the lingo.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Aug 12, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Defenestrategy posted:

The thesis statement goes at the top, TL:DR at the bottom for those who skim.

Well, yes, but people are more likely to put an "executive summary" as a tldr at the bottom than anything else.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The massive conspiracy that led to Epstein's death has the perfect cover in our incredibly broken justice system

CO pay almost universally sucks rear end. $10k bonus to transfer to NYC, lmao. With that cost of living? gently caress that. Working mandatory 16s sucks, and the commute alone for most people means you'll be able to be home for a maximum of 4 hours total - might as well just bunk at work.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Bored As gently caress posted:

CO pay almost universally sucks rear end. $10k bonus to transfer to NYC, lmao. With that cost of living? gently caress that. Working mandatory 16s sucks, and the commute alone for most people means you'll be able to be home for a maximum of 4 hours total - might as well just bunk at work.

I don't know how it works for fed corrections but mandatory ot for city EMS and corrections is usually "hey you thought you were going home in an hour but you aren't sorry"

I've heard stories of rikers guards frantically arranging for childcare from inside the prison because they can't leave.

the effect on morale is left as an exercise for the reader

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

gently caress those Nazis

New topic title?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
just lmao if you don't write BLUF statements

just lol what are you doing with your time

for the record 'BLUF my balls, bitch' is not a correct course of action

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/s...ingawful.com%2F

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Vasudus posted:

just lmao if you don't write BLUF statements

just lol what are you doing with your time

for the record 'BLUF my balls, bitch' is not a correct course of action

*Pulls out floor buffer*

oh... bluf. drat.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The ideal business email for a senior executive is 1-2 sentences to summarize the content and up to five supporting bullets below (that probably won't get read unless the issue is severe). Corporate higher ups receive a War and Peace level of text every day because everyone ccs them on everything.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
BLUF statements are used for routing, too. Especially anything related to legislative affairs (congressionals) or other things that require prompt routing to the correct party.

Unlike executive summaries or the humble tl;dr, a BLUF statement can be used on literally every correspondence in a formal manner too. I've made briefs that go right up to CJCS that have one.

Like it sounds really dumb but they are really good and useful things for correspondence.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Smiling Jack posted:

I don't know how it works for fed corrections but mandatory ot for city EMS and corrections is usually "hey you thought you were going home in an hour but you aren't sorry"

I've heard stories of rikers guards frantically arranging for childcare from inside the prison because they can't leave.

It works similar for NYS corrections, and also for my PD. There are shifts that were so short staffed we were getting mandated for overtime 2-3 times a week each. Getting 4 hours of sleep at most in between 16s, or in between a 16 and an 8. At least at my department, we usually know about 2 hours into our 8 hr shift, unless someone calls out at the last minute. We have a couple people that commute 1.5 hrs each way, so you can see how that would suck the life out of you after a few weeks.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Smiling Jack posted:

poo poo rolls downhill! Gotta keep the guards angry to make sure the inmates are miserable

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Vasudus posted:

BLUF statements are used for routing, too. Especially anything related to legislative affairs (congressionals) or other things that require prompt routing to the correct party.

Unlike executive summaries or the humble tl;dr, a BLUF statement can be used on literally every correspondence in a formal manner too. I've made briefs that go right up to CJCS that have one.

Like it sounds really dumb but they are really good and useful things for correspondence.

The phrase BLUF isn't used, but it's a core staple of a good econometrics presentation as well. Give the results up front and then get into the data.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/EoinHiggins_/status/1160926301018107905?s=19

:thunk:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

The phrase BLUF isn't used, but it's a core staple of a good econometrics presentation as well. Give the results up front and then get into the data.

Yep.

"we found no correlation between x and y, but we did find a statistically significant correlation between y and z"

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE

y/n

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The amount of people in that thread who think a federal job in Manhattan is high paying is mind boggling. Detention officers are way down the pay scale, and while they get federal benefits, that kind of pay is below poverty level for the area almost ($53,000 is way below what you need to make to get by there, and if you're pulling 16 hour days, without extra pay because salaried, you can't work another job to make ends meet). No wonder the federal jail has a staffing shortage.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 12, 2019

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Totally normal.

My dad works corrections and loving hates it. The job sucks so it's hard to get good people willing to do it and the bad ones they have to hire love abusing the gently caress out of the very generous vacation policy. They also don't give a gently caress if their fake sick leave screws someone else over, and that person ends up working a double or more shift. He recently told me that right now he likes most of the inmates better than most of his coworkers.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

This man:

Did this to that nazi attempting to shoot Muslims:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
legend

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Hot Karl Marx posted:

This man:

Did this to that nazi attempting to shoot Muslims:

Not enough bruises on that chicken neck.

Guys how about we just pay half the inmates to watch the other half?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

LingcodKilla posted:

Not enough bruises on that chicken neck.

Guys how about we just pay half the inmates to watch the other half?

We are. The guards get to go home occasionally tho.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
The general consensus about what being a federal worker entails is basically 'the mean people at the DMV, but they make 150k' completely ignoring any other aspects of reality.

edit: which is right up there with real federal workers being mad that WMATA bus drivers make 65k base salary.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Aug 12, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vasudus posted:

The general consensus about what being a federal worker entails is basically 'the mean people at the DMV, but they make 150k' completely ignoring any other aspects of reality.

edit: which is right up there with real federal workers being mad that WMATA bus drivers make 65k base salary.

I think you have to be a GS15 to in the DC area to hit that level of pay.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Your teachers should be making at least $65k a year imo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hot Karl Marx posted:

They should be but red states especially underfund education because its an easy thing to cut money from so they can pass tax breaks on the people giving them "campaign donations"

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hahahahaha when senior citizen Muslim Santa Claus destroys your bitch rear end, it turns out that you are not, in fact, the master race.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Babysitting 30+ kids alone ought to net you that much. Actually teaching them something is something else entirely.

But if course some chucklefucks who can't even keep two of their own kids from acting like cretins and doesn't teach them anything thinks that's too much.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

65k in DC almost qualifies for low income housing. Teachers should be making way more than that.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Pay them more than that then, idc, it's your kids education

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

orange juche posted:

I think you have to be a GS15 to in the DC area to hit that level of pay.

You do. People are completely ignorant of reality when it comes to federal workers to the point where there should be steam coming out of their ears making an old-timey whistle sound. IIRC the national average of a federal worker is like 67k or something.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Pay them more than that then, idc, it's your kids education

Teachers' salaries are almost always set at the county level, so the pay can vary drastically even within the same state. Teachers in my county are paid pretty damned well, but the same can't be said for teachers on the Eastern Shore of MD, who live in Tea Party land.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

He's a scummy fat gently caress so anything's possible. gently caress

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's a scummy fat gently caress so anything's possible. gently caress
He smuggled in a corpse in his fat folds and took Epstein out of there via the same method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Casimir Radon posted:

Totally normal.

My dad works corrections and loving hates it. The job sucks so it's hard to get good people willing to do it and the bad ones they have to hire love abusing the gently caress out of the very generous vacation policy. They also don't give a gently caress if their fake sick leave screws someone else over, and that person ends up working a double or more shift. He recently told me that right now he likes most of the inmates better than most of his coworkers.

So many of my former or current coworkers worked as COs either for the county, state, or NYC level.

Two left NYC DOC. One left because there's so many inmates and so few COs that it's a huge officer safety issue, and he got a better job offer with city sanitation.

One left because while at Rikers he was ordered by a Captain not to log the fact that the Captain and two COs were going into a Unit. If you're posted to / in charge of a Unit, you log everyone who goes in and out. Well, he didn't, because his supervisor told him not to. The Captain and the two other COs went into a prisoner's cell and beat him up because the inmate had injured another CO and put him out of work for months. Investigation happens, Captain and both COs get suspended and eventually fired. My coworker reported the incident to his higher ups (above his captain) after the incident happened. Gets out as soon as he could because every single day of work he would be mandated. And at Rikers Island, it takes a long time just to get back to your vehicle - so you're lucky if you get maybe 4 hours at home even if you live in the city. God forbid you live in Queens or Long Island, or up in Westchester, or Jersey.

In so many jurisdictions, we dont pay our police officers or corrections officers enough*. They also don't get nearly enough training. And in far too many jurisdictions, they're understaffed, meaning mandatory overtime, meaning chronically tired officers, which generally means they make more mistakes, have less patience, aren't as alert, and that presents a problem from a public or inmate safety, as well as an officer safety perspective. In many jurisdictions this isn't an issue, but in the jurisdictions where it is an issue, it's a significant one that often gets overlooked.

* Then again, almost everyone everywhere in the US is underpaid due to the oligarchy and late stage capitalist system we live under, so tax revenues are lower (because the wealthy corporations and the rich don't pay enough in taxes), so there's not enough local or state or federal tax revenues to increase pay for police or COs. So it's all a result of our awesome economic system. Yay capitalism.