Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

He's a scummy fat gently caress so anything's possible. gently caress

Our boy Ben is on the case

Edit: Didn't realize how large that was then I posted on the Awful app

Nick Soapdish fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Aug 12, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
^^^ I'm ignoring this!

I don't see why service workers aren't paid a lot. Do you really want a bad bus driver/janitor/cook who doesn't care ruining your day? Didn't think so.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Woof Blitzer posted:

^^^ I'm ignoring this!

I don't see why service workers aren't paid a lot. Do you really want a bad bus driver/janitor/cook who doesn't care ruining your day? Didn't think so.

They didn't spend $40k on post secondary schooling so should be paid poverty wages, I'm a really smart person

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Woof Blitzer posted:

^^^ I'm ignoring this!

Everyone deserves a living wage. Minimum wage would be $22 an hour if it kept up with worker productivity. In some states or counties that would be a huge amount. In others, it wouldnt even cover the cost of rent of a 1Br apt. $15 minimum wage is a stepping stone, not the end goal.

Janitors and housekeepers have to deal with bodily fluids including poo poo and vomit. God Bless them, they deserve hazard pay.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

What's the point of having more money than you or your descendants can ever spend if you don't have the knowledge that somewhere, there's an impoverished worker caste that is going to work themselves to death just to be unable to provide for themselves?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Pay them more than that then, idc, it's your kids education

Speaking as a teacher, and many I know agree, if you were to spend a lot of money to improve schools I'd sooner take more hires over a bigger paycheck. Small classes make such a difference in the ability to actually teach.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Our new chief was talking about minimum wage with our Crowder doofus and shared his opinion that if you pay entry level workers too much they won't try to move up in the world. Imagine, a GS doesn't understand that the economy doesn't work like that anymore. You can get stuck at the bottom for a long loving time, and some people can only handle that kind of work.

He's otherwise ok, but that was a dumb loving opinion to have.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Hong Kong airport shut down by protests. I give it 48 hours until the PLA just storms Hong Kong

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Smiling Jack posted:

Hong Kong airport shut down by protests. I give it 48 hours until the PLA just storms Hong Kong

Between HK and Moscow things have been grim lately.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Just those two? This world loving sucks across the board. I want a do over

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
https://www.revealnews.org/article/they-thought-they-were-going-to-rehab-they-ended-up-in-chicken-plants/

quote:

But in the rush to spare people from prison, some judges are steering defendants into rehabs that are little more than lucrative work camps for private industry, an investigation by Reveal from The Center for Investigative Reporting has found.

The programs promise freedom from addiction. Instead, they’ve turned thousands of men and women into indentured servants.

The beneficiaries of these programs span the country, from Fortune 500 companies to factories and local businesses. The defendants work at a Coca-Cola bottling plant in Oklahoma, a construction firm in Alabama, a nursing home in North Carolina.

Perhaps no rehab better exemplifies this allegiance to big business than CAAIR. It was started in 2007 by chicken company executives struggling to find workers. By forming a Christian rehab, they could supply plants with a cheap and captive labor force while helping men overcome their addictions.

Men in the CAAIR program said their hands became gnarled after days spent hanging thousands of chickens from metal shackles. One man said he was burned with acid while hosing down a trailer. Others were maimedby machines or contracted serious bacterial infections.

Those who were hurt and could no longer work often were kicked out of CAAIR and sent to prison, court records show. Most men worked through the pain, fearing the same fate.

“They work you to death. They work you every single day,” said Nate Turner, who graduated from CAAIR in 2015. “It’s a work camp. They know people are desperate to get out of jail, and they’ll do whatever they can do to stay out of prison.”

About 280 men are sent to CAAIR each year by courts throughout Oklahoma, as well as Arkansas, Texas and Missouri. Instead of paychecks, the men get bunk beds, meals and Alcoholics and Narcotics Anonymous meetings. If there’s time between work shifts, they can meet with a counselor or attend classes on anger management and parenting. Weekly Bible study is mandatory. For the first four months, so is church. Most days revolve around the work.

“Money is an obstacle for so many of these men,” said Janet Wilkerson, CAAIR’s founder and CEO. “We’re not going to charge them to come here, but they’re going to have to work. That’s a part of recovery, getting up like you and I do every day and going to a job.”

The program has become an invaluable labor source. Over the years, Simmons Foods repeatedly has laid off paid employees while expanding its use of CAAIR. Simmons now is so reliant on the program for some shifts that the plants likely would shut down if the men didn’t show up, according to former staff members and plant supervisors.

Before CAAIR, McGahey had no interest in drugs. Now, he says he can’t live without them.

“I’m addicted to them pills,” McGahey said. “I have to take them.”

"By forming a Christian rehab, they could supply plants with a cheap and captive labor force"

I know this isn't even the worst thing going on in a country where providing healthcare to 9/11 first responders was a politically contentious issue, where underage asylum seekers are conflated with criminals, where mass shootings are ubiquitous, and the president laughs about shooting migrants, and where women in some parts of the country have fewer reproductive rights than their mothers did at their age, and climate change isn't real, and abstinence is the answer, and charter schools for all except you poor kids you can go join the military, and, and, and

And those words in that order are still loving evil. Jesus loving Christ, this country.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Pretty sure we are in fact the baddies at this point.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

loving slavery.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Why do we never talk about pill eating trailer dwellers in the Midwest as a "tax burden"?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Crakkerjakk posted:

Pretty sure we are in fact the baddies at this point.

There are very few times in history that we haven't been the baddies.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

https://www.revealnews.org/article/they-thought-they-were-going-to-rehab-they-ended-up-in-chicken-plants/

"By forming a Christian rehab, they could supply plants with a cheap and captive labor force"

I know this isn't even the worst thing going on in a country where providing healthcare to 9/11 first responders was a politically contentious issue, where underage asylum seekers are conflated with criminals, where mass shootings are ubiquitous, and the president laughs about shooting migrants, and where women in some parts of the country have fewer reproductive rights than their mothers did at their age, and climate change isn't real, and abstinence is the answer, and charter schools for all except you poor kids you can go join the military, and, and, and

And those words in that order are still loving evil. Jesus loving Christ, this country.

Time to rewatch sorry to bother you.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

LingcodKilla posted:

loving slavery.

Slavery is legal dummy. Very anti-American sentiment here.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Why do we never talk about pill eating trailer dwellers in the Midwest as a "tax burden"?

Dude, please, the preferred term is “unlikely voter!”

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Eh, fits right in with Supply-Side Jesus talk. For-profit imprisonment isn't lucrative enough, let's throw a veneer of Good Christian Stuff on it and force them to work for free. Much more profitable when then government supplies your slaves and pays for their food and shelter. You don't even need to buy them from across the ocean and take care of them anymore! No private investment needed, just socialize all the costs and take the profits.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

LingcodKilla posted:

loving slavery.

The US never got rid of slavery

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Speaking as one of this thread's resident alcoholics, that "program" is loving despicable and just about the worst way imaginable to handle addiction

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Speaking as one of this thread's resident alcoholics, that "program" is loving despicable and just about the worst way imaginable to handle addiction

It was specifically designed by religious groups as a recruiting program. That's why it sucks.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

The US never got rid of slavery

Didn't Colorado got rid of slavery even as punishment for crime last year?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

If they get better then who is going to come back and do the work next year?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I hate to be the one to quote yeats so I'll just say I pretty much gave up on seeing a better tomorrow years ago. The only point in playing the game at this point is damage control

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

hobbesmaster posted:

Colorado is part of the US, but its not THE US.

this is why the US education system sucks, can't even do simple stuff like distinguish a part of the whole.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

quote:

it's all right, cuz it's all white

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Chichevache posted:

If they get better then who is going to come back and do the work next year?

Their children.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

hobbesmaster posted:

Yep. Voted on that. It was worded confusingly enough.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

PLA appears to have taken that as a challenge:
https://twitter.com/AlexandreKrausz/status/1160947525442056193

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes, but things like CAAIR (if CO had it) and prison industry are 'voluntary' servitude, so not affected.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
RIP Hong Kong

Edit: looks like Australia needs a bit of that global warming lmao I hate this world

https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/st...ingawful.com%2F

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 12, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Isn't it literally winter

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hot Karl Marx posted:

RIP Hong Kong

Edit: looks like Australia needs a bit of that global warming lmao I hate this world

https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/st...ingawful.com%2F

I want to strangle that idiot and the poor person who coined Global Warming as opposed to Global Weather Change.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Lyin' Eyes by the Eagles is about cheating. Like Dinesh did and then blamed on Obama when he got caught.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Yes

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Mr. Nice! posted:

There are very few times in history that we haven't been the baddies.

Yeah. Sigh.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Now to play a game: stupid or willfully misleading. It's a surprisingly tough game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Milo and POTUS posted:

yes

xmas is in the summer