Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Squidtentacle posted:

Also I started Gunbreaker and it's a lot of fun but boy is it hard for me to really care about the story with that opening quest. I don't know what it is but I just don't have any interest in Gun Cat and Magic Rabbit.

GNB's class quests are pretty lame. Not outright bad like 30-50 monk, just kind of bland and uninteresting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Conot posted:

You didn't kill Musosai - you excised his evil and he then passed peacefully. Well, as peacefully as one passes after a WoL beatdown anyway

Well, yeah, technically that's more accurate. It did take me a minute of thinking back on it to settle on how I felt.

DeathSandwich posted:

GNB's class quests are pretty lame. Not outright bad like 30-50 monk, just kind of bland and uninteresting.

Maaan. Well I'm more interested in Dark Knight thematically anyway so I'll probably focus on leveling that first when I finally get to max.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Turned my CNJ into a WHM earlier this weekend, and with that I'm all done turning all my old classes into jobs! Trying to decide what to level next and thinking of going with a tank or healer - I wanna give BLM a shot since I usually go glass cannon caster in every game except this one for some reason, but the dungeon queue time is painful and gently caress POTD. I've done a few squadron dungeons and they're actually kinda fun, but doing the same one over and over since they're not all eligible for squadrons sorta blows.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ibblebibble posted:

Hmm, maybe doing the 80 DRK quest in a full-faced helm wasn't the smartest idea. Was good anyway, though.

Now that I'm a Massive Cat Dad, I sometimes miss helmets a lot, but then I remember that most of the time helmets meant that during cutscenes it'd cut to a static shot of an emotionless helmeted face.

It was funny but still.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

2 of my friends got back into the game but as DPS

I imagine queuing as 3 DPS for anything is a nightmare (or impossible) but hey I can use it as a chance to practice my tanking on them :getin:

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Squidtentacle posted:

Extremely disappointed that the armor set I was given wasn't either Frey's armor or the armor of the dark version of you that you fight.

fray armor is a generic armor set you can buy or craft -- search for the chivalric coat of fending

chaos armor set is armor you get when completing the level 60 drk quest

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Empress Brosephine posted:

That sucks. I kinda wanna buy it on PC or Mac because remote play has it limitations but I was hoping to be able to swap between the platforms

This might already be answered by now, but you can play it on both platforms. The subscription is universal. You have to pay a one-time fee for each platform you want to use that sub on. Same character and everything on every platform.

Geddy Krueger
Apr 24, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Also, many pages back someone said something to the effect of DRK not flowing as nicely as the other tanks. I feel like I must be doing something wrong because the only tank to flow poorly for me is PLD. I'm at 71 and I don't fully understand what I'm supposed to be doing with mana, obviously I can save some for healing, but is the intention of Requiescat to wait till mana cap and spam holy spirit while the buff is up? Just kinda feeling like the mana/casting aspect of PLD is just making it feel clunky to me in a way that other tanks aren't.

It gets much better at 78 when you get Enhanced Requiescat which gives you instant casts while it's up. The flip side of that is PLD is way less fun below 78 now, which is a shame because it's fun as hell at 80.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

oh god i gave the beaver milk

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Squidtentacle posted:

Well, yeah, technically that's more accurate. It did take me a minute of thinking back on it to settle on how I felt.

Maaan. Well I'm more interested in Dark Knight thematically anyway so I'll probably focus on leveling that first when I finally get to max.

DRK 50 - 60 was alright, but 60 - 70 was amazing personally. The 80 quest was also a nice bowtie on it all. I dunno where they'll go from now, to be honest.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Also, many pages back someone said something to the effect of DRK not flowing as nicely as the other tanks. I feel like I must be doing something wrong because the only tank to flow poorly for me is PLD. I'm at 71 and I don't fully understand what I'm supposed to be doing with mana, obviously I can save some for healing, but is the intention of Requiescat to wait till mana cap and spam holy spirit while the buff is up? Just kinda feeling like the mana/casting aspect of PLD is just making it feel clunky to me in a way that other tanks aren't.

PLD is fairly elegant in that it's a very rigid rotation with two possible openings and has a ranged component.

DRK has a very simple combo that weaves/revolves around whole bunch of 30s, 60s, 90s and 120s timers, on top of having a resource tied to both offense and defense. It's definitely less straightforward.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Just finished up the level 80 role capstone quest. I'd guessed earlier that Cylva had something going on and I'd definitely hear from her directly later, though I didn't know she'd end up being the Shadowkeeper with a plan of "make the best heros I can and then kill them because a spooky ghost man told me to".

My main takeaway is that the Ascians in general are even more incompetent than I'd assumed, since after Third Way-ing Cylva, Ardbert and co went on to kill Mitron and Lohgrif (somehow) and this is what actually caused the Flood of Light to start. I am left to assume that their becoming Warriors of Darkness and invading the Source was basically Elidibus in panic mode making a last ditch ploy to not lose the First the same way the Thirteenth was. I'm still not sure how having them try to kill the WoL would have helped with that but it got Minfilia to go stop the Flood so I guess it worked out?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ciaphas posted:

That was the playstyle for PLD in SB, for sure: Fight or Flight, Goring Blade, Requiescat as FoF winds down, spam Holy Spirit, loop. Dunno how ShB changed the formula.

Still is, for the most part, just with three Atonements during Sword Oath in place of a second Royal Authority combo between the Gorings, and then capping the Req phase with Confiteor at 80.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 12, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

More 80 MSQ spoilers. I just started the final MSQ.

I'm happy the game gives you flight in the last zone before you finish the MSQ. Also I was worried there wouldn't be an aetheryte in the final region and I'm glad I was wrong.

You share a soul with Ardbert! They did drop hints at that being possible, with the whole "everyone and everything was split into 14 parts" plot point. Wondering if we'll get to meet other Warriors of Light/Darkness in the future...

Reliving the final days of Amaurot? This should be pretty intense.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

DeathSandwich posted:

Man, gently caress both of the characters in the monk quests, they both suck poo poo. I miss Hamon Holyfist.

:agreed:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DizzyBum posted:

More 80 MSQ spoilers. I just started the final MSQ.

I'm happy the game gives you flight in the last zone before you finish the MSQ. Also I was worried there wouldn't be an aetheryte in the final region and I'm glad I was wrong.

You share a soul with Ardbert! They did drop hints at that being possible, with the whole "everyone and everything was split into 14 parts" plot point. Wondering if we'll get to meet other Warriors of Light/Darkness in the future...

Reliving the final days of Amaurot? This should be pretty intense.

It is! Have fun, the finale is pretty amazing.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Arist posted:

Did I miss something about that questline?

Yes, the pixies got turned into beavers. But they seem to be content about it?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Arist posted:

It's fine

Everything is fine

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Thanks everyone for the replies last night. I think I was imprecise with my language (sorry to the person I eyerolled). Instances themselves aren't my problem, my problem is more with the idea that running dungeons/raids is the only thing to do at endgame. It sounds like FF14 is actually pretty varied so I'm excited to try it out.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

Thundarr posted:

Just finished up the level 80 role capstone quest. I'd guessed earlier that Cylva had something going on and I'd definitely hear from her directly later, though I didn't know she'd end up being the Shadowkeeper with a plan of "make the best heros I can and then kill them because a spooky ghost man told me to".

My main takeaway is that the Ascians in general are even more incompetent than I'd assumed, since after Third Way-ing Cylva, Ardbert and co went on to kill Mitron and Lohgrif (somehow) and this is what actually caused the Flood of Light to start. I am left to assume that their becoming Warriors of Darkness and invading the Source was basically Elidibus in panic mode making a last ditch ploy to not lose the First the same way the Thirteenth was. I'm still not sure how having them try to kill the WoL would have helped with that but it got Minfilia to go stop the Flood so I guess it worked out?

On the Ascians' totally not terrible plans: I think the idea with sending the Warriors of Darkness over was to cause a calamity on the source, allowing the first to be rejoined before it was lost completely. Thordan was supposed to cause that calamity but we went all WoL on him, so killing us was a backup. Convincing Urianger to help was maybe a backup to the backup?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Look the WoL is a really good champion and apparently that hasn’t happened before so I can’t blame them for being a bit wrecked up by us :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Algid posted:

Level 70 WHM spoilers: The ending was hilarious in how everyone promptly forgot how the demon voidsent ate her mom's soul aether. Guess everything's better now that the WoL murdered the nearest enemy even though her mom's dead and very very gone.

Level 80 WHM spoilers: Gatty will be fine, she's made some new friends and only gets accidentally nearly murdered by the magic hell forest once.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Kaubocks posted:

fray armor is a generic armor set you can buy or craft -- search for the chivalric coat of fending

chaos armor set is armor you get when completing the level 60 drk quest

oh poo poo oh gently caress

well I guess I know what I'm doing, goddammit

Senior Dog posted:

Thanks everyone for the replies last night. I think I was imprecise with my language (sorry to the person I eyerolled). Instances themselves aren't my problem, my problem is more with the idea that running dungeons/raids is the only thing to do at endgame. It sounds like FF14 is actually pretty varied so I'm excited to try it out.

Having also come from BfA recently and formerly being in a guild that went hard on raiding and weekly mythics: that sucks because it's the same five dungeons every single day and the same raid every day.

You know timewalking? Imagine that's on all the time for all dungeons/raids in WoW's history, and you have good reason to do that every day. Every dungeon/raid/instance you unlock during the course of the game goes into a roulette that you can run daily for rewards, which means instead of those five dungeons, you have reason to do at least one of dozens of instances on a daily basis. That was enough to sell me really quickly, and in practice it's a lot of fun having the chance to dip into such a wide range of options that provide enough of a challenge to be engaging. It's kind of baffling seeing an MMO where all past content is still relevant and I can experience it as if it were a couple of weeks after launch.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dear Dragoon questline: why did you make sure a big deal out of getting the Drachen armor, then when I do the quest to get the chestplate, it gives me the wyrm set that drastically outlevels and looks better than the drachen one.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dear Dragoon questline: why did you make sure a big deal out of getting the Drachen armor, then when I do the quest to get the chestplate, it gives me the wyrm set that drastically outlevels and looks better than the drachen one.

They added that towards the end of ARR or early HW (I forget which) so you wouldn't be severely behind the gear curve when you hit 50.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

I'm probably still too early in the game for that because I don't even know what a GC seal is.

orcane posted:

Around the level 20 MSQ you gain access to a grand company (I suggest you choose based on what clothes you want to use for glamour eventually :v:). Grand company seals are the currency you need to rank up most of the way (the last ranks are tied to your squadron), and buy the GC rewards.
https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Grand_Company

At first you can't earn seals fast, they trickle in from fates, certain dungeon roulettes, some challenge log entries (I think?), GC leves and your GC hunting log. At rank 6 you unlock "expert delivery missions" which allow you to turn in (most) pink, green, blue and purple gear in return for GC seals. As the item level of the gear you turn in increases, so do the rewards - since before level 60 items give 1000+ seals each.

Anyone running endgame dungeons regularly can earn thousands of seals quickly, and the only remaining uses for most people are buying retainer ventures (currency to send your retainer on combat/gathering missions), cordials (potions that recharge gatherer points) and glamour prisms. If you rank up all the way the GC seal cap is 90k which buys 450 glamour prisms and takes about 50 turnins of level 80 items to restock.

I'm gonna add to this good post by mentioning that the Company Chocobo quest requires 200 GC seals, which initially seems like an endeavor, but honestly isn't that bad. The best way to get the required seals for the chocobo is to complete the company Hunting Log challenges. You get your first 200 after killing around three mobs, it's super fast and doesn't require you to wait for a roulette or anything.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

StrixNebulosa posted:

The ilvl 90 gear used to use an endgame currency and when that currency was phased out they had to put it somewhere. Plus they wanted people to be able to do the 2.x content without big gear roadblocks

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

PLD is fairly elegant in that it's a very rigid rotation with two possible openings and has a ranged component.

DRK has a very simple combo that weaves/revolves around whole bunch of 30s, 60s, 90s and 120s timers, on top of having a resource tied to both offense and defense. It's definitely less straightforward.

Having to cast Holy Spirit feels bad, particularly multiple times in a row. I'm to understand that gets fixed at 78, but for now it feels bad.

DRK doesn't feel particularly unstraightforward to me, once you realize you need to keep a bit of mana for TBN, and some have blood prepped for summoning your shadow clone, it kinda just feels like basic gameplay of using OGCDs between normal combos, and not letting your resources cap.

I'm likely not playing very optimally since I haven't looked up openers/rotations, but Holy Spirit felt like one of those "this feels awkward" things that made me think I might be doing something wrong with the Job. Plus, PLD uses mana both for offense and defense too. (Although I suppose you can argue that clemency isn't really defense in the way other tanks self-heals are?)

!amicable
Jan 20, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I imagine queuing as 3 DPS for anything is a nightmare (or impossible) but hey I can use it as a chance to practice my tanking on them :getin:

Tanking is super easy right now. Especially if you already know the folks you're running with. Surprisingly, like most communal activities, it's basically about communicating.

Honestly tanking up to 50 is just using your ranged opener, gathering 3-6 munsters, then smashing your AoE attack. Boss mechanics are pretty much "don't stand in stuff, gather adds" until Snowcloak, where there's some stuff to pay attention to.

It does get a little nerve wracking when you have a WMH and your HP dips to double digits basically every single pull. But that's why defensive CDs exist! (I guess?)

near-SB end thoughts: Frodola is an excellent foil to Yotsuyu and both are really good villains.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Having to cast Holy Spirit feels bad, particularly multiple times in a row. I'm to understand that gets fixed at 78, but for now it feels bad.

DRK doesn't feel particularly unstraightforward to me, once you realize you need to keep a bit of mana for TBN, and some have blood prepped for summoning your shadow clone, it kinda just feels like basic gameplay of using OGCDs between normal combos, and not letting your resources cap.

I'm likely not playing very optimally since I haven't looked up openers/rotations, but Holy Spirit felt like one of those "this feels awkward" things that made me think I might be doing something wrong with the Job. Plus, PLD uses mana both for offense and defense too. (Although I suppose you can argue that clemency isn't really defense in the way other tanks self-heals are?)

HS does suck until you can instant cast it, but afterwards it's extremely fun and mobile. Clemency... you're not really supposed to touch it unless the healer is asleep at the wheel or the party's DPS is so abysmal that a big pull has devoured all of your cooldowns.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

This has been mostly answered, but the job questlines were how you gradually earned your first set of AF gear and the stories were usually written around them. Eventually they added in those upgraded gear chests as rewards to help speed gear progression for new players.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

!amicable posted:

near-SB end thoughts: Frodola is an excellent foil to Yotsuyu and both are really good villains.

This is a funny take to me, because I'm not too much further than you (I just finished 4.4 last night) and I feel like Fordola is an excellent character and villain, while by contrast I feel that Yotsuyu was just a completely terrible villain, just poorly executed all around (well, except for her actions as a villain, they do a fantastic job of making her into a complete monster before they start explaining her backstory.)

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

One thing that helped me with tanking was realizing that leg sweep or whatever the stun is called works really, really well against bosses. Against anything, actually. I only haven't had it work on Primals.

It's really empowering leveling a Dark Knight and realizing that whenever a boss charges up a cone or circle I can just kick it in the teeth and it gives up to do something else.

Also rotate your defensive cooldowns on trash, especially. That's where healing is really a concern.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

HS does suck until you can instant cast it, but afterwards it's extremely fun and mobile. Clemency... you're not really supposed to touch it unless the healer is asleep at the wheel or the party's DPS is so abysmal that a big pull has devoured all of your cooldowns.

Yeah, I'm looking forward to how PLD with it's full toolkit, it just seems like the tank that's the least fun to be downsyncd with. (Not to say other tanks don't have some kind of hang up at lower levels though)

I figured as much on the clemency thing, it's just a departure from the other 3 tanks having some kind of instant cast self healing, but I suppose the frequency and flexibility of cover kind of makes up for it?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Wait

WAIT

Is FF11 somehow part of Ff14 now

No, but large chunks of the 1.0 cinematic are now relevant again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opQjN74Meec

healers are just (less-interesting) green DPS. White Mage or SCH, AST is a complete writeoff.

tanks are just blue DPS. On a scale of "I can focus on mechanics" to "I'm playing a DPS with better survivability!: WAR - PLD - DRK - GUN.

DPS.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 12, 2019

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If you want to tank instead of DPSing, here's the sum total of what changes and what you have to do differently

- you go first
- your dps rotation is probably much easier
- you probably are gonna get a lot more cones aimed at you
- you need to remember to hit a cooldown when you see a tankbuster cast bar

So the sum total is "go first and be aware of tankbusters". That's literally it; enmity no longer exists as a useful functional concept once you've got a hit or two in, so you don't need to worry about gear or lack thereof

Just set the pace, adjust it if you run into problems (trust me, NO ONE cares if you wipe in the process--at least, once), and play as you always have. 99% sure you'll be a better tank than most this way

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 12, 2019

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

tfw you're infiltrating a base all sneaky like and the game goes "ready for battle? if you're a level higher than 50 we'll sync you down"

Anyways my new armor is baller and I'm so happy to have it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So how hilarious is the 50 DRK quest if you're hrothgar?

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

SwissArmyDruid posted:

No, but large chunks of the 1.0 cinematic are now relevant again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opQjN74Meec

*watches cutscene*

*rewatches that one post-HW cutscene with Ravana again*

hhhhhhhuh

this is just the start, isn't it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Squidtentacle posted:

I get where you're coming from but I think the game makes a big point of selling that there is no sparing or taking it easy on Musosai - he's a legendary samurai and even weakened can kick your butt 9 ways to Sunday if you're not on point. The unfortunate side effect is that you can't afford to not rough him up - which realistically was part of his plan.

I think being able to spare him/use the back of the blade/whatever would undercut that sentiment