Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

beep-beep car is go posted:

Everyone online says this is the watercolor paper to get, so I got some.

Let’s see how it is!
Arches is, in fact, The Good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense

Rather Tonic posted:

Work in progress!

This is my first oil painting in years. It's pretty garish, like it belongs in a Lisa Frank headshop, but I'm having a lot of fun. 28 x 28".

This is great! How did you choose your palette?

I finished my biggest ever painting so far, 20" x 30". Painting a familiar subject this size was really interesting, found that I ended up making up sections with repetitive individual brush strokes to create the textures. Normally I paint small enough I'd be using different shaped blobs for entire sections of foliage, but this involved marking individual leaves on.
If I was doing this again I think I'd try and stop the canopy section being so level.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Yesterday a group of folks at my company participated in an event called "Steamroller Smackdown" Basically you carve a gigantic linocut and then ink it and a steamroller rolls over it to make the print. It's pretty fun and a rare opportunity to work super big!
The theme this year was Bridges and when we got the theme I think most of us knew it was going to have to be political, given our current state in the US.

The translation of the graffiti is "There are dreams on this side too"

We took first place and its basically the only time i've ever won anything for art and i'm super jazzed because I feel like we all really kicked butt.

This also fits the thread as well because I still am cleaning ink off various parts of my body because inking something this big and then cleaning up afterwards is insane.

Here's a link to the event for perspective http://slublockparty.com/#art

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Rather Tonic posted:

Thank you guys for the comments, it's really encouraging!

That sounds amazingly fun! Also, I really like your drawing of the diving helmet, especially the greens you're using in those shadows.

Yeah, it was really neat. I don't know where you are, but on the off-chance you're in the SE of England, it's called Explore and Draw, and they go to all sorts of interesting places.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Yesterday a group of folks at my company participated in an event called "Steamroller Smackdown" Basically you carve a gigantic linocut and then ink it and a steamroller rolls over it to make the print. It's pretty fun and a rare opportunity to work super big!
The theme this year was Bridges and when we got the theme I think most of us knew it was going to have to be political, given our current state in the US.

We took first place and its basically the only time i've ever won anything for art and i'm super jazzed because I feel like we all really kicked butt.

This also fits the thread as well because I still am cleaning ink off various parts of my body because inking something this big and then cleaning up afterwards is insane.

This is so cool! My printmaking prof told me about how they would do something similar with a pick up truck and a 4x8 piece of plywood. Your print turned out great. I wish they had the others up on the website. The colors and composition on yours would be tough to beat, I would like to see what else people came up with!

I miss printmaking so loving much. Hard to do what I want without a press though. I have a barren but it's a bummer to use and I would want oil based inks and I would need like some kind of glass table and ugh.

E: Do you pull more than one? How many per edition? I'm so jealous.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We ended up pulling 7 in our like 40? Minute allotment. We had 4 other teams in our heat so you've gotta coordinate who is getting the steamroller next. We did some color varients with the butterflies and people because those are spray paint stencil. I happened to throw that teal blue in my backpack Friday mornin on the off chance we might want it! So glad I did. The original design called for pink and it just didn't pop.

1 was sold at the event. 2 were kept by Seattle visual concepts school and we have to figure out what we are doing with the other 4 on Monday i guess.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

silicone thrills posted:

That’s rad as gently caress

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Ratoslov posted:

Arches is nice, but also expensive. So far I've been using Bee's 6'x9' cotton paper, which I have switched to after learning the limitations of Canson.

I was able to find a only slightly sketchy seller on Amazon who sold me that pad for less than $20, so barring it being counterfeit (which I wouldn't put past them) I'll try the good stuff. Good to know about Bee's though. What don't you like about Canson? I've heard lots of people singing the praises of it.

edit: Photos!

graduation test on Arches

little lunchtime painting at my desk. I don't get enough time at home to paint like I want, so I made up a little kit to take with me and paint on my lunchbreak.

So far, the Arches is very very nice. I was too used to bad paper, and didn't realize that part of why I was struggling with techniques was the paper itself. I'm still bad at it, but at least now all I have to blame is myself!

beep-beep car is go fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 12, 2019

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Hey printmakers, anyone know the pros and cons of relief printing with an etching press vs a press like this or a bottlejack press?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

dupersaurus posted:

Hey printmakers, anyone know the pros and cons of relief printing with an etching press vs a press like this or a bottlejack press?

I always liked running my blocks through etching press rollers because the blankets give some amazing embossing effects.

For my home relief printing i'm just using a baren though. I've been considering one of those flat presses just to see how it would go. I assume you could get the same embossing effects just buy putting a felt blanket over your paper like you would etching rollers.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

silicone thrills posted:

I always liked running my blocks through etching press rollers because the blankets give some amazing embossing effects.

For my home relief printing i'm just using a baren though. I've been considering one of those flat presses just to see how it would go. I assume you could get the same embossing effects just buy putting a felt blanket over your paper like you would etching rollers.

I've only been barren and wooden spoon so far, but I'm starting to do bigger pieces and it's getting real inconvenient. I have speedball's little hand press and haven't been too impressed with it (assuming I'm not doing something fundamentally wrong, I'm suspicious about my inking game), but I hope/assume the woodzilla presses have more power? I was sold on one of those, but I just discovered these guys and their cheap roller press, and it seems pretty compelling. I guess it loses some oomph with rubber instead of metal rollers, but surely that wouldn't matter much to relief printing?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

dupersaurus posted:

I've only been barren and wooden spoon so far, but I'm starting to do bigger pieces and it's getting real inconvenient. I have speedball's little hand press and haven't been too impressed with it (assuming I'm not doing something fundamentally wrong, I'm suspicious about my inking game), but I hope/assume the woodzilla presses have more power? I was sold on one of those, but I just discovered these guys and their cheap roller press, and it seems pretty compelling. I guess it loses some oomph with rubber instead of metal rollers, but surely that wouldn't matter much to relief printing?

Dang. Those prices are down right affordable. I can't see rubber rollers being a huge issue other than they will need to be replaced eventually. Rubber will usually end up cracking over time. Same reason like xerox print rollers need to be replaced every 20k prints or so.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

I was able to find a only slightly sketchy seller on Amazon who sold me that pad for less than $20, so barring it being counterfeit (which I wouldn't put past them) I'll try the good stuff. Good to know about Bee's though. What don't you like about Canson? I've heard lots of people singing the praises of it.

After a google, it seem I was mistaken. I was under the impression that Canson only made stuff like the low-end Canson XL they sell at Wal-Mart, and not high-end products. Fun fact: Arches is a Canson brand.

Anyway, my experience of switching to cotton paper was a lot like yours. Water is just plain better behaved on cotton.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Re: Watercolor paper.

I love Fabriano. No idea why it doesn't seem to make it into any top 10 lists but cold press traditional white is my go to. I feel like it has some really good work time and you can get some great layering. I don't ever feel like i'm just pulling up the previous color when I go back into a dry area.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/fabriano-artistico-traditional-white-watercolor-paper/

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

silicone thrills posted:

Re: Watercolor paper.

I love Fabriano. No idea why it doesn't seem to make it into any top 10 lists but cold press traditional white is my go to. I feel like it has some really good work time and you can get some great layering. I don't ever feel like i'm just pulling up the previous color when I go back into a dry area.

https://www.dickblick.com/products/fabriano-artistico-traditional-white-watercolor-paper/

$5 a sheet? cheese and crackers.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

That's a pretty standard price for quality cotton paper. But also at 22x30" you can easily get from it 4-8 sheets at the smaller sizes that a lot of people work at.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

That's a sheet you could knock down to like 4 - 6 smaller sheets. I buy it in like 10 to 20 sheet blocks and I think the price makes alot more sense.

My eyes also just kind of roll into the back of my head when I walk into daniel smith to buy paint supplies and somehow I magically leave with right around $100 bucks of supplies no matter what I was intending soooo :(

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

dupersaurus posted:

I built a bottle press a few years ago and it was nice for trying to pull editions versus with a hand barren. But now I've found a printmaking studio with enough open shop hours that I can just go use their good roller press.

But I've mainly been just experimenting with technique and not pulling editions so I just have been using the barren since its easier.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Turn my graduation practice into bookmarks because why not?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Oh gosh those are soooo lovely :swoon:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

More monochromatic watercolor

I’m still a super beginner and so it’s a constant battle to realize “what my hands can do” won’t line up with “what I want to put on the paper” for a long long time, but I made a rule with myself when I started to finish every piece, even if I hated it. So, they’re finished.

I’m honestly having more fun with the bookmarks but I want to actually get better painting so I practice doing things I’m not good at. That was the original idea behind the monochrome studies. I won’t get bogged down in the perfect color if I only have one and I can learn to control the pigment and water better (ideally)

Is this the right thread for this? I looked for a dedicated painting thread and didn’t find one. I feel a little like I’m making GBS threads up a discussion thread though?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Did a couple of little sketch pictures of some local WW2 pillboxes. Didn't feel like trying to negotiate the cliff down to them, and the tide was coming in, so didn't go looking for another route to them.

The actual view

Fine liners - as I only had a small bag, I only took a few colours. The brown I thought was quite light going by its cap colour turned out to be mega dark :(

Watercolour. Not really sure how I should have tried to represent the shallower parts of the water better. Maybe wait for it to have dried and brought the wash I used for the sea down over it?

And then I left because there were all the midges.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Had to remind myself today that I can still actually do decent quick life drawing sketches. Not much but my brain is happy with it :)

Also actually starting a sketch a day habit. 3 days in a row now.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 18, 2019

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Hand mending, can draw some again! :)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Posting a really quick & dirty linocut proof in the hope it will keep me accountable to go back and make improvements:

Copied from Reference photo, from Shakespeare's best and most devastating play, King Lear. For once in my life, I actually wanted to flip the print horizontally -- in my brain, Lear enters from "house right left."

e: gently caress!

Trabant fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 19, 2019

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Finished my series of rainbow bookmarks that started as finding a use for scrap paper after cutting it down

I really like some, I kind of like most and I dislike only a few but done is done.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Finished this watercolor painting last night. It's a cabin I stayed at on a recent trip.

It's one of the larger watercolors I've done, 11"x15".

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Would painting with a set of CMYK gouache paints help me learn to digitally paint in colors that don't suddenly look dull when printed out?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Yes. If you work in Photoshop you can also turn on the Gamut Warning, which can show you which colors are outside of CMYK color space. However, in the long run you may want to investigate the nature of the printing equipment you will use or have access to, because some high-quality digital color printers now have more than 4 inks, and sometimes more than 6.

CMYK is good because it’s almost guaranteed to look OK from most color printing equipment.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Neon Noodle posted:

Yes. If you work in Photoshop you can also turn on the Gamut Warning, which can show you which colors are outside of CMYK color space. However, in the long run you may want to investigate the nature of the printing equipment you will use or have access to, because some high-quality digital color printers now have more than 4 inks, and sometimes more than 6.

CMYK is good because it’s almost guaranteed to look OK from most color printing equipment.

We have an epson 5000 that no poo poo - has like 10 different color cartridges. But also professional design firm so somewhat expected.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

silicone thrills posted:

We have an epson 5000 that no poo poo - has like 10 different color cartridges. But also professional design firm so somewhat expected.
Cool. Also that means that instead of the bad old days of pre-converting your RGB to CMYK for print, you should let the prepress staff use the raster image processor (RIP) to do it. Hard proof your RGB files for preventing really really dumb color mistakes*, but the RIP is going to do a much better job now than Photoshop will if you try to convert colorspace yourself.

*really really dumb color mistakes like using 100% RGB green or blue on a black background, take a drink every time you see this in a subway ad :argh:

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Me: I'll try painting those watercolor galaxies/nebulas that are popular on Youtube/Pinterest! They look like an easy enough fun project

Also me after blowing through 12 sheets of 100% cotton paper:

Edit: here it is

beep-beep car is go fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 29, 2019

Rather Tonic
Apr 28, 2008

mudskipp posted:

How did you choose your palette?

The 'Lisa Frank colors' is thing I just naturally gravitate towards. My aim was to cover up an old painting I didn't like, and tackled it basically with the aim of "make the light look neat". I did a lot of playing with warm and cool colors, just experimenting using them in different combinations to push things backward and forward in space. Btw, I think your work with those individual leaves in your painting really paid off, they look beautifully translucent.

I did this guy in the last couple of weeks, 12 x 12:

My daruma doll relaxing angrily in a pot of nasturtiums. If you guys see something that you think is wonky, post it! I'm definitely up for critique.

Rather Tonic fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 29, 2019

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Rather Tonic posted:

The 'Lisa Frank colors' is thing I just naturally gravitate towards. My aim was to cover up an old painting I didn't like, and tackled it basically with the aim of "make the light look neat". I did a lot of playing with warm and cool colors, just experimenting using them in different combinations to push things backward and forward in space. Btw, I think your work with those individual leaves in your painting really paid off, they look beautifully translucent.

I did this guy in the last couple of weeks, 12 x 12:

My daruma doll relaxing angrily in a pot of nasturtiums. If you guys see something that you think is wonky, post it! I'm definitely up for critique.

*breathes heavily*

I love it. Your color transitions are so smooth and everything is so clear. The color pops are bright while still looking natural. I'm filled with jealousy.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Wow, that's great!

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Atomic Leviathan Prototype

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Watercolor & ink on paper. Tarman/Juicy Zombie from Return of the Living Dead.

It's not perfect, but I learned something new. Trying to get better about painting fun things and not just 'proper' things and exercises.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Dickbat at Rest

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

sigma 6 posted:

Atomic Leviathan Prototype

Super cool! I'm assuming toned paper, what'd you use for highlights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Zoben posted:

Super cool! I'm assuming toned paper, what'd you use for highlights?

I started with graphite. Mechanical pencil. Then I used a white gellyroll ink pen for the highlights. Then finished with sakura micros / brush pens for the blacks. It was a prototype for an artdome piece. Here is the artdome piece it turned into.

Looking back I should have tinted it blueish and not orange. Hm.

EDIT:

Had to do it now that I actually said why the orange version annoyed me.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 8, 2019