Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Your Computer posted:

definitely japanese Bernadetta, every time she opens her mouth it's one long uninterrupted high pitch scream. I liked her despite this though :unsmith:

I really like japanese Mercedes so it makes me sad that so many people hate her due to the english voice acting

That's very sad because English Bernadetta is excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
If you pick Japanese VA do they actually change the dialogue in the text boxes back to an original matching translation? Or is it still a bunch of re-written dialogue but now with Japanese audio saying something completely different? I don't know that much Japanese but I know enough that the latter would really irritate me.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Your Computer posted:

definitely japanese Bernadetta, every time she opens her mouth it's one long uninterrupted high pitch scream. I liked her despite this though :unsmith:

I really like japanese Mercedes so it makes me sad that so many people hate her due to the english voice acting

Yea Japanese Mercedes is great, I really don't know why they hosed her up so badly in English.
Japanese Ingrid is blah though whereas English is great, so you don't win all the time with the Japanese voices.

I liked Japanese Bernadetta though.

Andrast posted:

Not using an unit is a bad excuse :colbert:

You get supports for people you don't use by having lots of lunches and having them as adjutants.

Adjutants is the magic key for it really, it raises support by loads it feels.

Sydin posted:

If you pick Japanese VA do they actually change the dialogue in the text boxes back to an original matching translation? Or is it still a bunch of re-written dialogue but now with Japanese audio saying something completely different? I don't know that much Japanese but I know enough that the latter would really irritate me.

Search your heart, you already know the answer.

They say some weird stuff in Japanese when they win fights as well that doesn't match what they say in English though I can't think of specific examples.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

the latter

it stands out badly at some points, like the Annette/Mercedes support I mentioned earlier

Taear posted:

I liked Japanese Bernadetta though.
your ear drums are sturdier than mine

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Taear posted:

Has anyone got any voice actors they don't like?
For me it's English Mercedes. It almost sounds like someone doing an impression of a woman's voice, it's really bizzare sounding.

yeah it's Mercedes. I think I get what they're going for (very sweet, caring, vaguely motherly) but it's like two notches too much.

Ferdinand, Seteth & Flayn I was put off a bit when first hearing them, but by this point I think it's perfect for their characters. But I dunno if I'll ever get used to Mercedes.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

Adjutants is the magic key for it really, it raises support by loads it feels.

I think having someone as an adjutant is the exact same as having the unit participate in battles, including spreading the support points to units who are fighting nearby

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I got Bernie on a horse and she's obliterating everything

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Taear posted:

What I'd like is Fire Emblem done in a Suikoden style way with a base that expands as you recruit people. It's not that far of a step away.

I didn't go into this game expecting to get slapped across the face with how much I miss the Suikoden series, but here we are.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

indigi posted:

I got Bernie on a horse and she's obliterating everything

Bernie's free +5 ATK as long as she's damaged is one of the few personal skills that stays really good through the whole game

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 12, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Andrast posted:

I think having someone as an adjutant is the exact same as having the unit participate in battles, including spreading the supports to units who are fighting nearby

It definitely does, during my support grinding last night I'd often get more supports between the adjutant and the other units than the person the adjutant was paired with!

I also think you might get supports just for fielding units even if you dont have them fight near each other. I swear there's been a few times where a support pops despite them never fighting together on the map, and I'm not just talking about the nonsense that is Dorothea meteoring an enemy half way acrosst he map and building support wit hthe 3 people near that enemy

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
for those curious, this is the japanese Bernadetta voice (linked so as to not spoiler the post-timeskip outfit)

that, constantly

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Your Computer posted:

the latter

it stands out badly at some points, like the Annette/Mercedes support I mentioned earlier

Bleh, that's annoying. I don't mind that the localization is liberal in it's translation but don't then offer a Japanese audio option that will make me notice it. :argh: For the most part the English VA's are fine but some can really grate on me.

Taear posted:

Has anyone got any voice actors they don't like?
For me it's English Mercedes. It almost sounds like someone doing an impression of a woman's voice, it's really bizzare sounding.

Mercedes for sure yeah, her VA is doing the thing a lot of English VA's do where they're directed to try and match the high pitched whispiness of the character's Japanese VA, and it just comes off sounding wrong.

I also really can't stand Raphael's VA, as much as it's obvious his VA is trying really hard to affect the "big dumb guy with a kind heart" trope it just doesn't match imo.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

oh god

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
another important discrepancy i noticed was in the dorothea/felix A support, where she invites him to dinner in the english script but invites him to her room in the japanese script (he declines both)

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

:yikes:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sydin posted:

Mercedes for sure yeah, her VA is doing the thing a lot of English VA's do where they're directed to try and match the high pitched whispiness of the character's Japanese VA, and it just comes off sounding wrong.

I also really can't stand Raphael's VA, as much as it's obvious his VA is trying really hard to affect the "big dumb guy with a kind heart" trope it just doesn't match imo.

Yea - my girlfriend refuses to play it in English because that's such a common thing. I feel like they've done a good job of matching the "feel" of the actors in most cases to their Japanese equivalent instead of forcing them to do a poo poo impression but Mercedes absolutely is doing a poo poo impression and it's weird.

I think the closest match is Raphael, they've got him 100% spot on between the two languages.

Andrast posted:

Bernie's free +5 ATK as long as she's damaged is one of the few personal skills that stays really good through the whole game

I find myself forgetting the personal skills so much. They're another one of those things that's hidden behind a menu that I don't go into very much, so I just...ignore it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Will everyone in the surrounding cubicles look at me funny if I click this

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only games I've ever gone for the original VAs in were Metro, where it was obvious even there that the Russian VAs were awful, and Pathologic 2, which worked pretty well.

lmao no thank you

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Will everyone in the surrounding cubicles look at me funny if I click this
you will probably regret it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm imagining the Plague whispering to you in Pathologic as that high pitched shrieking and now I can't stop laughing

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Taear posted:

Yea - my girlfriend refuses to play it in English because that's such a common thing. I feel like they've done a good job of matching the "feel" of the actors in most cases to their Japanese equivalent instead of forcing them to do a poo poo impression but Mercedes absolutely is doing a poo poo impression and it's weird.

I think the closest match is Raphael, they've got him 100% spot on between the two languages.

I find myself forgetting the personal skills so much. They're another one of those things that's hidden behind a menu that I don't go into very much, so I just...ignore it.

Yeah probably one of the most annoying constants of English dubs is female VA's being directed to mimic the Japanese VA's pitch, I remember being really annoyed back in the day at Haruhi Suzumiya because an otherwise flawless dub was ruined by the VA for Mikuru trying to do the same Mercedes-esq high whispy thing and it was unbearably grating any time she had a speaking line.

I think my problem is that Raphael's English VA sounds like he's doing a voice instead of just talking, if that makes sense? Like obviously more or less everybody is "doing a voice" but with Raphael it seems particularly obvious and feels makes him seem like a caricature instead of an actual character. idk maybe I'll get used to it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Taear posted:

Bernie's is like the one personal I remember to use because a free faire on your super long range unit is a big deal

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Bernie's English VA does a really great job. They're able to go between Bernie's states of freaking out, mopeing, talking herself through hard situations, and occasionally forgetting herself and actually being normal, and it all feels natural. The character would be insufferable without that level of nuance in the VA.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Yeah probably one of the most annoying constants of English dubs is female VA's being directed to mimic the Japanese VA's pitch, I remember being really annoyed back in the day at Haruhi Suzumiya because an otherwise flawless dub was ruined by the VA for Mikuru trying to do the same Mercedes-esq high whispy thing and it was unbearably grating any time she had a speaking line.
it's the absolute worst

the Anime Dub Voice™

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Your Computer posted:

another important discrepancy i noticed was in the dorothea/felix A support, where she invites him to dinner in the english script but invites him to her room in the japanese script (he declines both)

weird considering what they happened in dorothea/caspar c support

Arkeus
Jul 21, 2013

Taear posted:

I've been looking at personal skills so much more on my NG+ playthrough. Going on golden deer means that I have Leonie and Hilda who both are important position wise (Leonie gets +2 if next to a male unit, Hilda gives a +3 to male units nearby).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dedue's personal skill is the best because you just walk forward, stop, then win a dozen fights in a row

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Sydin posted:

has any localization on earth ever done this

it sounds impractical and also kinda bad

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

RBA Starblade posted:

Dedue's personal skill is the best because you just walk forward, stop, then win a dozen fights in a row

This is how I played the back half of the game twice now.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If you pick Japanese audio, the text is still in English but resembles a fan sub from circa-2007.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Funky Valentine posted:

If you pick Japanese audio, the text is still in English but resembles a fan sub from circa-2007.

It better have a fuckin' karaoke subbed opening in yellow times new roman or I demand a refund.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dmboogie posted:

has any localization on earth ever done this

it sounds impractical and also kinda bad
definitely impractical, almost certainly bad

some translations take more liberties than others though. I remember playing through Bravely Default and not really noticing any huge differences but then in Bravely Second the script was often completely different and not related to what they were saying at all

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
english mercedes sounds fine. She's not winning any awards but I can't imagine switching to japanese just to avoid her

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Funky Valentine posted:

Edelgard: Just according to keikaku. (tl note: keikaku means plan)

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arkeus posted:

I've been looking at personal skills so much more on my NG+ playthrough. Going on golden deer means that I have Leonie and Hilda who both are important position wise (Leonie gets +2 if next to a male unit, Hilda gives a +3 to male units nearby).

I suddenly realize that Hilda should be the dancer.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

hopeandjoy posted:

Edelgard: Just according to keikaku. (tl note: keikaku means plan)

Nemesis, the King of Liberate

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Holy poo poo. I'm in a parking lot and just looked around to make sure no one heard that.

It's like very slowly letting air out of a balloon: the voice.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Dedue: It can't be helped. I swore I would protect Dimitri-sama with my life after a 'certain person' caused to Great Tragedy Relating to Duskuru.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh man am I glad English Bernie doesn't sound like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
suddenly very glad I never bothered switching to japanese VAs