Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

I'm playing this game for the very first time and I made a puglist and one of my first quests was to harass some dude for owed money and he gave me a ring to sell and the person buying it was like 'it's a fake' and then the quest was over. 10/10 would play pacifist debt collector simulator again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheeseman
Apr 1, 2001

Moola posted:

I hate Raids with a passion and generally any organized large group content is the opposite of fun imo

I always had felt the same way because raiding to me was what I had heard raiding in everquest and wow to be and I wanted no part of it after dipping my toes in it once.

I carried that sentiment with me all the way to here. And then I found out here in FF "normal raid" is basically the same as a 8 man trial, sometimes with a small dungeon like lead up of trash that just gets demolished quickly. And "alliance raid" was basically a 24 man (3 groups of 8) dungeon with small interstitial trash pulls, that also get decimated, along with bosses that are, again, glorified trial bosses. A lot of them turn out to be really fun and I've done more "raiding" in this game than I've ever done in any before.

Now, SAVAGE raiding, on the other hand, is the hardcore progression style stuff that can be painful and unfun reminiscent of those old style raids . But that stuff is completely separate option "hard mode" versions of the fights that can be ignored and has no bearing on the storylines of the raids.

So if you enjoy the 8 man trials enough, and/or can find the idea of a 24 man trial-like boss rush appealing enough, give them a try! You may be surprised. It's pretty quick and easy to queue for them through Duty finder, and once you unlock some, you can open up 2 new duty roulettes for more tomestone/xp/etc opportunities.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yeehaw, the plot is speeding up and -

"go back to the waking sands" for gently caress's sake, AGAIN?

e: this wouldn't be so awful if it were near a crystal teleporter, but noooooo

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

If you want to tank instead of DPSing, here's the sum total of what changes and what you have to do differently

- you go first
- your dps rotation is probably much easier
- you probably are gonna get a lot more cones aimed at you
- you need to remember to hit a cooldown when you see a tankbuster cast bar

So the sum total is "go first and be aware of tankbusters". That's literally it; enmity no longer exists as a useful functional concept once you've got a hit or two in, so you don't need to worry about gear or lack thereof

Just set the pace, adjust it if you run into problems (trust me, NO ONE cares if you wipe in the process--at least, once), and play as you always have. 99% sure you'll be a better tank than most this way

Even cooldowns on tankbusters are more of a courtesy for your healer than a hard requirement. No tank buster outside of savage content will kill you without a cooldown.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

thunderspanks posted:

I'm playing this game for the very first time and I made a puglist and one of my first quests was to harass some dude for owed money and he gave me a ring to sell and the person buying it was like 'it's a fake' and then the quest was over. 10/10 would play pacifist debt collector simulator again.

That questline only gets better, you're in for a good time.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yeehaw, the plot is speeding up and -

"go back to the waking sands" for gently caress's sake, AGAIN?

:siren: PRAY RETURN :siren:

Here's a tip for you: the fastest travel back to the Waking Sands is to teleport to the Limsa aetheryte, then port to the Arcanist's Guild. The ferry to Vesper Bay is right next to the guild.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

Posting a thread reminder that you can take a ferry from Limsa.

E;fb

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
the real cruelty is how many years they've had the chance to put an aetheryte there and newbies still have to pray return the long way

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Your Computer posted:

the real cruelty is how many years they've had the chance to put an aetheryte there and newbies still have to pray return the long way

One of my favorite bits of worldbuilding from the 2.x MSQ is them explaining why they never put an aetheryte there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My favorite part of Pray Return is that in the 2.1 quests they explicitly go, "man, these Ul'dah fucks are real assholes for not giving us an aetheryte huh"

e: beaten by seconds

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Your Computer posted:

I don’t think they are actually able to retroactively add aetherytes to ARR/Heavensward areas, they never put an aetheryte in the Hinterlands either. Probably because of hacky poo poo they did in order to work around PS3 limitations. After switching to the PS4 Stormblood was much more generous with aetheryte placement and now Shadowbringers has as many as 4 aetherytes in some zones

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 12, 2019

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

5.3 comes around, turns out the only ARR change is that they've added an aetheryte there.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

yeah apparently it's a story conceit that you don't get to warp there

which just made me think, like, "okay devs, if even you are calling out the absurdism why was it still there", at least at the time

but then, in 5.0, they made the most ridiculous callback I've ever seen (spoilers, mid-late shb story) so I forgive them. yoship played us like goddamn fiddles on that one, folks

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Speedrun Any% To Vesper Bay

(I just port to Horizon and grab a chocobo porter to Vesper and then check my phone)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

quote!=edit

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Even cooldowns on tankbusters are more of a courtesy for your healer than a hard requirement. No tank buster outside of savage content will kill you without a cooldown.

Mist Dragon can gently caress you up real good if you don't pay attention.

Or could, I don't know how it is these days with the new ilevels.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

true, but it's good practice, and it's always worth a wry grin when the state of the battle means you accidentally zero out and no-sell a tankbuster completely

Mango Polo posted:

at 75 on gnb i got dragged back into that dungeon, and let me tell you, mist dragon still really fuckin clobbers people, sync or on-content

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

but then, in 5.0, they made the most ridiculous callback I've ever seen (spoilers, mid-late shb story) so I forgive them. yoship played us like goddamn fiddles on that one, folks

oh my loving god

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Ciaphas posted:

which just made me think, like, "okay devs, if even you are calling out the absurdism why was it still there", at least at the time

The most powerful Pray Return of them all.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I just started playing this game.

I'm a level 18 Gladiator. Loving it so far.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Except layout wise, that makes no sense.

The tracks in Ahm Araeng are traveling North-South. The ones between Vesper and Horizon are East-West. Obviously not everything in the first is laid out the same, Inn at Journey's End is supposed to clearly evoke Little Ala Migo, and the location on the south end of the zone is what it took to be the First's version of Uldah, but it's placement is obviously not the same, but regardless the equivalent of Vesper should probably be further west.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Aardvark Barber posted:

I just started playing this game.

I'm a level 18 Gladiator. Loving it so far.

Enjoy being able to steamroll through everything, including dungeon queue timers. You'll really learn to appreciate the short queues as tank/healer especially when you finally go to level up the damage classes. Don't forget to use your defensive cooldowns in dungeons fighting trash. If you notice your healer is obnoxiously high level or in really fancy gear, (or later on down the line when you're in a dungeon you outgear) it's usually maximum fun to pick up multiple trash mob packs at a time.

Also around the time in the story you join a grand company, head over to Quarrymill and unlock Palace of the Dead, it's a special dungeon that winds up being one of the easier (if more boring) ways of leveling up secondary classes. The whole schtick of it is that it's completely non-dependent of your current level or gear. You enter floor 1 at level 1 with fixed stats and your level and stat upgrades are completely separate from what it normally is and you level up fairly rapidly, feeding you all your core skills at a rapid clip. When you get to the point that you want to experiment with leveling other classes, it can give you a good feel for how they play at higher level without committing multiple dozens of hours to do so.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Weird how gladiators spend most of their time being cops while paladins are the ones with a tournament arc. The arena itself looks absolutely dinky compared to how big of a deal it is lorewise, I never noticed it till now!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ciaphas posted:

If you want to tank instead of DPSing, here's the sum total of what changes and what you have to do differently

- you go first
- your dps rotation is probably much easier
- you probably are gonna get a lot more cones aimed at you
- you need to remember to hit a cooldown when you see a tankbuster cast bar

So the sum total is "go first and be aware of tankbusters". That's literally it; enmity no longer exists as a useful functional concept once you've got a hit or two in, so you don't need to worry about gear or lack thereof

Just set the pace, adjust it if you run into problems (trust me, NO ONE cares if you wipe in the process--at least, once), and play as you always have. 99% sure you'll be a better tank than most this way

Well, if we're giving encouragement to GHOST earnestly, one reaps the benefits of being the tank or healer to your friends' DPS. There's the knock-on effect of playing different roles making you a better player overall.

If you were a melee DPS before, you'll know the importance of having lead feet. Nobody likes a tank with happy feet, especially not MNKs, SAMs, or anyone who has to still hit a positional. If you were a caster, you'll understand why the tank places bosses where they do, and why it behooves you to step up closer despite being ranged. (that's also a lesson you'd learn by being a healer, btw) If you go healer instead of tank, you get to hold their lives in the palm of your hand. Also, learn to get good at the "How Low Can You Go" game. Which I highly encourage, it will make you a better healer overall as you get better at it. And overall, you start to understand why things happen in a fight instead of chasing the dread god Uptime.

(Playing the "How Low Can You Go" game as a healer, I find, also helps when those same players become new tanks and become seized with abject terror when they see their HP anywhere less than 90%.)

Augus posted:

I don’t think they are actually able to retroactively add aetherytes to ARR/Heavensward areas, they never put an aetheryte in the Hinterlands either. Probably because of hacky poo poo they did in order to work around PS3 limitations. After switching to the PS4 Stormblood was much more generous with aetheryte placement and now Shadowbringers has as many as 4 aetherytes in some zones

They are at least able to phase in aethyrites in some fashion or another. The far west aetheryite in not-Mongolia whose name completely eludes me at the moment was a later addition.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 12, 2019

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:stare: just beat 2.55.

I hope minfilla is dead she was entirely useless.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Mango Polo posted:

I wiped to mist dragon the other day when the healer got frozen twice in a row then died to the arena wide aoe like a dingbat

i was the healer

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Late ARR spoilers: Oh man, this is so cool? I've been reading/playing a lot of Ro3K stuff lately so seeing dudes moved around on a map gets my blood going. And the game respects me so much at this point that I'm not just spearheading one vital attack, I'm spearheading three! Yes! Finally the respect I deserve after doing all of those sidequests!

Also, huh. I'm a little bummed by the copout with Thancred not actually being a traitor, but being possessed. Booooring, make him evil! Give him motives! I liked that more! Oh well, I'll rescue him too if I get the chance.

So close to the end, I can taste it...

e: damnit! Stop spawning sidequests! I have to do those or I can't continue!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Well, if we're giving encouragement to GHOST earnestly, one reaps the benefits of being the tank or healer to your friends' DPS. There's the knock-on effect of playing different roles making you a better player overall.

If you were a melee DPS before, you'll know the importance of having lead feet. Nobody likes a tank with happy feet, especially not MNKs, SAMs, or anyone who has to still hit a positional. If you were a caster, you'll understand why the tank places bosses where they do, and why it behooves you to step up closer despite being ranged. (that's also a lesson you'd learn by being a healer, btw) If you go healer instead of tank, you get to hold their lives in the palm of your hand. Also, learn to get good at the "How Low Can You Go" game. Which I highly encourage, it will make you a better healer overall as you get better at it. And overall, you start to understand why things happen in a fight instead of chasing the dread god Uptime.

(Playing the "How Low Can You Go" game as a healer, I find, also helps when those same players become new tanks and become seized with abject terror when they see their HP anywhere less than 90%.)

absolutely agreed--and let's be clear here, I was indeed intending to give advice and encouragement. Assuming you're actually playing the game at some level (rather than loving about for lols, or panicking and acting instinctively because you don't know wtf), playing all the different roles even a little bit will make you a better player overall

A very simple example: the final boss of the 75 dungeon. It's fought in a long rectangular arena. One move has the boss leap directly to the very edge of one end and face the other end for an ability. Once done and it goes back to attacking the tank, you might see the tank turn 90 degrees to face the side wall, though there's no reason to do so as the boss doesn't (invisibly) cleave or anything that'd require the space. ... unless you're a melee with positionals, that is, and your True North is down because of how long the boss spent with its back to the wall aiming those abilities!

If you've only played tank and never an mdps, you might never know that they so appreciate access to the boss's backside.

(e) or pull the boss away from the wall facing the same direction. either way they can hit the back where they couldn't previously. whatever, i don't pay yer sub

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 12, 2019

ChaosSora
Feb 20, 2013

Kitfox88 posted:

I wiped to mist dragon the other day when the healer got frozen twice in a row then died to the arena wide aoe like a dingbat

i was the healer

I got The Burn the other day while leveling GNB and I caused a wipe on Mist Dragon as well. I thought the starburst aoe worked like E3's knockback aoe since they share pretty much the same icon, so I ate it full force and I took a bunch of vuln stacks and 98% of my HP for my trouble.

In my defense it was only my second time running it and I mained a dps through the msq.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

re: Tank chat. Someday I want to be a tank just so I can see the front of a boss for once, instead of staring at butts all the time as DPS.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Ciaphas posted:

I wish people would stop linking that because it’s not even correct.

Minfilia stopped the Flood of Light south of the First’s equivalent of Little Ala Mhigo, which would place the act roughly equivalent to the Sagolli Desert/near the suncatte tribe. The trolley tunnel is visually reminiscent of the Vesper Bat tunnel but the geography is quite clearly Southern Thanalan.

Nowhere remotely close to Vesper Bay or the Waking Sands.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

re: Tank chat. Someday I want to be a tank just so I can see the front of a boss for once, instead of staring at butts all the time as DPS.

Be a tank for a bit then! Just got to unlock them. If you're far enough/high enough level you can unlock DRK and GNB and get right to dungeoning.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

After playing ff11 more, seeing people decry eureka as bad because its similar to 11 are crazy. If anything Eureka should have been more like 11 cuz 11 is cool as hell.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Be a tank for a bit then! Just got to unlock them. If you're far enough/high enough level you can unlock DRK and GNB and get right to dungeoning.

I will, but I'm so close to finishing ARR that I have to do that first!

...after these sidequests. And huh, the Nunh isn't so much a leader as he is the boytoy for all the huntresses, huh. "yeah I think you're cool but I can't do anything unless they're down for it", I see how it is.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

StrixNebulosa posted:

What I like to do as a tank is if I know a boss has no cleaves or annoying cone AoEs is to have everyone facing the boss. I just think it's neat.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wish people would stop linking that because it’s not even correct.

Minfilia stopped the Flood of Light south of the First’s equivalent of Little Ala Mhigo, which would place the act roughly equivalent to the Sagolli Desert/near the suncatte tribe. The trolley tunnel is visually reminiscent of the Vesper Bat tunnel but the geography is quite clearly Southern Thanalan.

Nowhere remotely close to Vesper Bay or the Waking Sands.

alright, fine, you win this round

a high class troll by the area designers and writers would be funnier though :(

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Late ARR spoilers: Oh man, this is so cool? I've been reading/playing a lot of Ro3K stuff lately so seeing dudes moved around on a map gets my blood going. And the game respects me so much at this point that I'm not just spearheading one vital attack, I'm spearheading three! Yes! Finally the respect I deserve after doing all of those sidequests!

Also, huh. I'm a little bummed by the copout with Thancred not actually being a traitor, but being possessed. Booooring, make him evil! Give him motives! I liked that more! Oh well, I'll rescue him too if I get the chance.

So close to the end, I can taste it...

e: damnit! Stop spawning sidequests! I have to do those or I can't continue!

oooh, he got possessed cause he's too awesome gently caress off its cause he's got terminal fuckboyitis

Also re the chocobo unlock stuff from the other page, you actually get 200 seals from the msq turnin immediately following, so lol

RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

I just did Baelsar's Wall for the first time and the Duty Finder matched me with three people who hadn't done it before too. The amount of shock and surprise in party chat at the final boss introduction cutscene was amazing! We all died to one of the mechanics and had to figure out what to do and got him the next time which which felt fantastic. It's probably the first time I felt I was doing and learning something with other people who enjoyed playing the game and the story instead of rushing through as fast as possible (which is understandable though, it is content multiple years old for most people), so I hope I get to feel that more as I carry on!

The cutscenes after the dungeon though :stare: :tviv: :stare: I can't wait to see what comes next!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I will, but I'm so close to finishing ARR that I have to do that first!

...after these sidequests. And huh, the Nunh isn't so much a leader as he is the boytoy for all the huntresses, huh. "yeah I think you're cool but I can't do anything unless they're down for it", I see how it is.

You're talking finishing 2.0 right, because ARR sure doesn't end there by a long shot.

But yes, once you clear 2.0 you will indeed finally be able to start the real game.