Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/nBtf2u4.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
My big issue with the Quest is uncomfortable pressure right on my eyebrow ridge.

I’ve got a Go too, which seems to sit up higher on my forehead and feels better, but the Quest isn’t in focus if I wear it up there. Do I have to accessorize this thing somehow to play more than 20 minutes at a time?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Counterweight on the back or Vive DAS mod maybe

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Really trying to like the Index controllers, but man, I miss the Touch. I'm struggling to find a tightness where the controller is secure enough to throw things (Echo Arena, etc.) but not the point of feeling uncomfortable pressure, especially on the pinky side of my hand. The straps also feel scratchy after a while, as if they'll give me a rash if I don't remove them. Plus the whole "sometimes a button just works better for gaming responsiveness than fancy sensor stuff" thing that I posted about before w/r/t grip button versus grip sensors.

It's a shame, because the headset itself is really loving good and the tracking is flawless. The controllers are a very neat concept and they do feel better for some interactions, but I'm much more conscious of them being on my hands than I was with the Touch, either worrying that they'll fly off my hand, or feeling the need to adjust the strap pressure, or whatever else.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dumb question but did you adjust the strap angle? If its in the lower positions it definitely feels tighter on the pinky for me, but adjusted it tends to distribute the pressure more across the back of my hand.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

homeless snail posted:

Dumb question but did you adjust the strap angle? If its in the lower positions it definitely feels tighter on the pinky for me, but adjusted it tends to distribute the pressure more across the back of my hand.

More like, did YOU adjust the strap angle, NERD.

Anyway, I've messed with the angle, and none of them feel great :(. Might force myself to use a different one for a bit, to see if I adapt to it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Having an issue where my Oculus (original) headset will stop reading a random interval into a session and reset. Very annoying. Tried turning off the USB power options without any dice. Any ideas?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Owlbear Camus posted:

Having an issue where my Oculus (original) headset will stop reading a random interval into a session and reset. Very annoying. Tried turning off the USB power options without any dice. Any ideas?

Switch the HMD to a USB 2.0 port. No I don't know why, but that's what fixed it for me.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
I think my brains is getting better at this motion sickness thing. I played Skyrim 2 hours straight without teleporting and could have kept going if I wanted to. I still use snap turning. When I level up my brains a couple more times, I'll take on Croteam VR bundle.

The wait for NMS Beyond update is taking forever it feels like. From what I read, Hello Games is trying to be a little intuitive their VR implementation, such as tapping side of your head for scan mode, or reaching for cockpit to enter ship. I hope they don't do anything that makes it a more pain in the rear end to do than a quick press of a button in pancake mode. I hope when flying in a ship, we can still view it in 3rd person and not be locked to staring at the drat throttle and joystick.

ijii fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 12, 2019

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
https://old.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/cp1uiy/oculus_home_2_now_runs_via_revive_for_nonfb/

Anybody tried this yet?

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
I think I've realized why I'm really hyped for No Man's Sky VR and it came as a result of playing the Aircar VR demo.

A lot of the VR games I've played so far have been fun, but they focus a lot on the gameplay and less on the world. They feel like physics toyboxes with neat interactions, but what I'm looking for is something I can get really immersed in. No Man Sky's gameplay is light enough that it can get pushed out of the way while I'm busy exploring which is why I've enjoyed the game so much after the various updates. So here's hoping it's as good as all of the impressions say it is.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I really wish aircar got made into a real game. It’s such a cool demo and the atmosphere and flying is great.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I really wish aircar got made into a real game. It’s such a cool demo and the atmosphere and flying is great.

The guy said if it gets enough installs on steam, he might consider making a real game out of it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Low-Fi is gonna have parts that are pretty much exactly the same aesthetic, but more fleshed out

http://irisvirtualreality.com/un-portfolio/low-fi/

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm sad that I can't actually grip the wheel using the Index controllers but otherwise if it it was like Cyber Punk VR Crazy Taxi I would never need to play another game.

FZeroRacer fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 12, 2019

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Switch the HMD to a USB 2.0 port. No I don't know why, but that's what fixed it for me.

This seemed to help-- knock on wood.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

FZeroRacer posted:

I'm sad that I can't actually grip the wheel using the Index controllers but otherwise if it it was like Cyber Punk VR Crazy Taxi I would never need to play another game.

Please make this a thing now. I would also take Cyberpunk 2077 Crazy Taxi as a standin.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Korben Dallas Multipass?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Went looking for a good tower defense game and googled up “Castle Must Be Mine” as it seemed we’ll recommend. Unfortunately it was too glitchy and unplayable for me, must not have good support for Valve Index; I got a refund.

Any other good tower defense recommendations?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well these things seem pretty drat cool

For a retail version they'd really need a Knuckle/Touch-style facepad with a thumbstick and buttons though.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
I think I was kind of vague on my last post, I read that revive now supports Oculus Core 2.0. Has anybody tried that yet? Does it let you use the window placement on a vive?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lemming posted:

Low-Fi is gonna have parts that are pretty much exactly the same aesthetic, but more fleshed out

http://irisvirtualreality.com/un-portfolio/low-fi/

How is Technolust, because that page cites lowfi as it’s successor?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

jubjub64 posted:

I think I was kind of vague on my last post, I read that revive now supports Oculus Core 2.0. Has anybody tried that yet? Does it let you use the window placement on a vive?

From what I've read it only means that revive lets you access the oculus home environment, not the dash features, of which the desktop viewing is part.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

How is Technolust, because that page cites lowfi as it’s successor?

Its, i mean... heavy on atmosphere, light on gameplay. It came out at the launch in 2016 and shows for the most part. Mainly in how light on gameplay elements it has and its length. That said, if you're a fan of cyberpunk aesthetics, and its on sale, you might enjoy it for the atmosphere? Other than that, theres not much meat on 'dem bones.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

From what I've read it only means that revive lets you access the oculus home environment, not the dash features, of which the desktop viewing is part.

This is sad, I'm looking for a reason to get an index but I needs me some nice desktop integration!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The UI on Skyrim VR is a bit of a disappointment and kind of counterintuitive. I want to reach out and grab stuff, not point at it and press a little round button, then press another button.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Owlbear Camus posted:

The UI on Skyrim VR is a bit of a disappointment and kind of counterintuitive. I want to reach out and grab stuff, not point at it and press a little round button, then press another button.

This is generally the problem with porting games, if they're not built from the ground up for it it's REALLY hard to make them feel good in VR, and the engine Bethesda is using is a shambling corpse they can barely keep alive as it is

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is creation engine just a licensed and modified version of gamebryo, sort of how like Half-Life 1 engine is a licensed and modified version of the quake 1 engine

The quake series didn't drop the 2D software renderer until Quake 3, right now we're in the "let's modify this engine to do VR" phase rather than the "let's build this engine from the ground up with VR in mind as a first class citizen" phase so things are super janky

Red Matter looks absolutely tits, expecting other games to follow suit late next year as optimizations start trickling in

Next elder scrolls 6 will probably have VR as a launch feature that's not entirely terrible at least part of the time, once you install the correct mods

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I would bet a hundred bucks that ES6 won't have built in VR support at launch.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Walrus posted:

I would bet a hundred bucks that ES6 won't have built in VR support at launch.

Why would they when they'll just charge $60 again for the same title 6 months down the line?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well these things seem pretty drat cool

For a retail version they'd really need a Knuckle/Touch-style facepad with a thumbstick and buttons though.

These are neat but you can't make a proper fist with them.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

That thing looks like something glados dreamed up at aperture science.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Between H3VR's big ol' update coming this week, No Man Sky beyond, and me inevitably breaking and buying Tetris Effect, this month is pretty drat rad for VR.

I've also been watching a lot of Invader Zim in Bigscreen.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Songbearer posted:

Between H3VR's big ol' update coming this week, No Man Sky beyond, and me inevitably breaking and buying Tetris Effect, this month is pretty drat rad for VR.

I've also been watching a lot of Invader Zim in Bigscreen.

Have you modded a moose into the theater?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I've been playing the demo of Creed like 10 times in a row each night to work up a crazy sweat. Again, not buying any games until I'm sure I'm going to stick with the Quest or flip it.

Are there any good sideload Quest games for "exercise" that are boxing related? I haven't tried sideloading yet, but since my motion sickness is reducing, I may try it soon.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Sideload boxing? No. But if you can, wait for Thrill of the Fight, which is getting a Quest release possibly by the end of the year.

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?

I fixed the problem by reinstalling the game after disabling automatic updates. Now the problem is that I have to restart journey mode, even though I backed up my save and put it back in the correct folder.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Two things

1) the oculus fix in the beta branch for the touch controllers losing tracking seems to be working. I can finally play Beat Saber again!!

2) I played Tetris Effect for the first time ever tonight and holy poo poo is it :catdrugs: personified. It’s amazing, but I really do feel like I’m gonna have the Tetris effect afterwards

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Two things

1) the oculus fix in the beta branch for the touch controllers losing tracking seems to be working. I can finally play Beat Saber again!!

2) I played Tetris Effect for the first time ever tonight and holy poo poo is it :catdrugs: personified. It’s amazing, but I really do feel like I’m gonna have the Tetris effect afterwards
Was the issue with the Rift? I tried to hook my system up after a move and it was a horrible nightmare because it kept losing the controllers and therefore couldn't do the basic setup, let alone the guardian walls.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Origami Dali posted:

Sideload boxing? No. But if you can, wait for Thrill of the Fight, which is getting a Quest release possibly by the end of the year.

How does Thrill of the Fight compare to Creed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Knight posted:

Was the issue with the Rift? I tried to hook my system up after a move and it was a horrible nightmare because it kept losing the controllers and therefore couldn't do the basic setup, let alone the guardian walls.

It was a software bug introduced in (iirc) 1.38 of the oculus software. It caused the touch controllers to lose tracking if they exceeded some certain speed. That speed was much lower than your average scrub beat saber player (me) hits regularly, and made games like that all but unplayable.

If you were having controller issues at slow/standing speeds, I think that’s another thing.