Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Time to toss Summers into the fire and hope he turns out a good player like Martinez did in his rookie season.

https://twitter.com/RobDemovsky/status/1160290523447517184

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I know nothing about this guy. I'm assuming he will come to Minnesota and die like every other kicker.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1160617062244519938?s=19

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah between the Vikings and presumably Bears both going after him, that dude's career never stood a chance

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I mean, this looks cool. I know better than to get have any emotion besides sheer terror when it comes to kickers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8U5IeqKjxw

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Lessail posted:

considering i'm seeing "rodgers and lafleur at odds" like headlines i'm going to say that you're wrong

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. The general conclusion was that McCarthy was a bad coach, especially after that big article that came out. Most were in agreement that he needed to be gone, but it was also noticed, for sure, how large a part Rodgers seemed to play in all that. So whether it's fair or not the media is on the lookout for that kind of thing.

SirPablo posted:

I know nothing about this guy. I'm assuming he will come to Minnesota and die like every other kicker.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1160617062244519938?s=19

He nailed four kicks, one from range, in the first preseason game and the Ravens were specifically trying to shop him. Clearly it worked, as a 5th rounder is the highest compensation for a kicker since 1996. He's said to be not as good in practice sometimes, but he's a promising kicker for sure. Who knows if he'll be that good this year though, nobody knows that

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Also he can punt, hold and is a long snapper.

He's a special team coaches dream.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/eric_j_thompson/status/1161005595392192512?s=19

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Hopefully he doesn't miss any kicks all season and the Vikings make the playoffs

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Goddamn, imagine kicking in front of the hogs that actually show up to training camp, hearing the optimistic applause of the people who will be howling for your execution the first time you miss anything inside 60 yards

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

tinstaach posted:

Goddamn, imagine kicking in front of the hogs that actually show up to training camp, hearing the optimistic applause of the people who will be howling for your execution the first time you miss anything inside 60 yards

LOL do you think think these fans even felt bad when they found out Parkey's kick was blocked? Did they demand firing the special teams coach? Trading the guy who allowed the block?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE1qrnC1-eQ

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Styles Bitchley posted:

LOL do you think think these fans even felt bad when they found out Parkey's kick was blocked? Did they demand firing the special teams coach? Trading the guy who allowed the block?

His dumb rear end should have kicked it higher

420_Power_Rangers
Dec 9, 2014

Gotta Hate Something

Styles Bitchley posted:

I don't like the whole "the kick was blocked, not his fault" argument. Watch any of Parkey's kicks, he always aimed for the uprights. So many times, the kick goes up and heads directly for usually the left upright. Dude cannot kick the ball straight between the posts to save his life.

Point is, yes, in this one case, the kick was blocked, but there are many, many other instances of him just being bad.

420_Power_Rangers fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Aug 13, 2019

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Why would any Bears fan give Parkey the benefit of the doubt that it would have been good? I hate the fans that no matter how good their team is are always expecting the worst, but not one of the 6-8 people I was watching that game with, myself included, thought he’d make that kick.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

KDdidit posted:

Why would any Bears fan give Parkey the benefit of the doubt that it would have been good? I hate the fans that no matter how good their team is are always expecting the worst, but not one of the 6-8 people I was watching that game with, myself included, thought he’d make that kick.

Pretty sure he got iced and he made the first attempt. I feel like that's what happened because I remember telling my wife how icing the kicker normally doesn't work, and then screaming in joy and ecstasy as the Bears were eliminated from the playoffs.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

PneumonicBook posted:

Pretty sure he got iced and he made the first attempt. I feel like that's what happened because I remember telling my wife how icing the kicker normally doesn't work, and then screaming in joy and ecstasy as the Bears were eliminated from the playoffs.

He made the first kick, but barely. I think that contributed to the block. I think he hit it with a lower trajectory so he'd clear the bar by more than a couple yards and add that to the guy getting a good push and hand up and that's all she wrote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2nda81wYXI

You can see it here, a completely unrushed practice kick and he barely cleared it.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah there is no reason any kicker should need to kick a loving 43 or whatever yarder that low.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Wasn't it really cold? Seems like that would prevent the ball from really going and necessitate a bit of extra umph. Not that another dude couldn't have done a better job

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Play posted:

Wasn't it really cold? Seems like that would prevent the ball from really going and necessitate a bit of extra umph. Not that another dude couldn't have done a better job

Pretty sure he was supposed to have a pretty big leg. Otherwise, why pay him all that money?

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Oh boy, today's "Why Your Team Sucks" is the Minnesota Vikings. I love laughing at Vikings fans!

Bryan posted:

My dad was a hardcore Oilers fans and he was perplexed as to why I suddenly loved the Vikings. He would make comments here and there about how odd it was. Then one day we were watching football, a Vikings game (probably Monday Night Football) and I was going crazy cheering the Vikings and waving my towel and all that. Suddenly my dad just bursts out “WHY THE gently caress DO YOU LIKE THE VIKINGS? YOU’VE NEVER BEEN TO MINNESOTA! CUT THIS poo poo OUT!” Neither of us said anything else the rest of the night.

It was around this time that my dad started to stay gone for long periods of time, at first a weekend and then a week and eventually he was gone for good. He never talked about where he was or why, all I had to rely on was my mom bad-mouthing him. I’m not saying the Vikings caused this, but they certainly didn’t help. gently caress this team.

:stonk:

Sam posted:

January 17, 1999, was a brutally cold day, and my dad and adolescent me were listening to the NFC Championship Game in the car on the radio waiting in a parking lot so my mom could hang out with the terrible dude with whom she was having a rather open affair. Gary Anderson lines up for that final field goal, after making every single ghat drat one that season, and my dad mutters “Yeah, he’s going to miss this one”, as calmly as you please. He never believed for a minute during that game that the Vikings were going to make the Super Bowl. Of course, Gary misses the posts, and my dad was proven right. I thought that maybe someday the Vikings could rise above their perpetual disappointment, but I can now never expect anything better that what happened that day. Don’t get too excited because people will always meet your lowest expectations.

My dad never complained about his chronic illness, his crappy marriage, the crappy passive-aggressive xenophobia that comes with being a non-white immigrant in Minnesota, the North Stars moving to Dallas, the Vikings being stupid, having to work every single day of his life since he was 11 while being essentially disabled. Even all the way to the end when he died in pain, he didn’t complain, he just sobbed quietly because he wouldn’t be there anymore for my brother and me. My life has been considerably better than my dad’s, but I stick with my Vikings fandom because it reminds me of his stoicism and it was something that we always could talk about. I miss my dad intensely, and gently caress the stupid loving Vikings.

:suicide:

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Okay, that was a little too far

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Honestly, I'm surprised the Lions one isn't somehow sadder.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I was at US Bank stadium for the Minneapolis Miracle. It was probably the most amazing thing I've ever personally witnessed. The euphoria of those 65,000 people, after all hope was lost and the inevitable was upon us, it was unbelievable. The following week, as I sat on the couch and the NFCCG started, I began crying. My wife asks "what's wrong?" I said "I just hope they win." The Vikings score on their first drive, and I think there is hope. Then my brain melted into my rear end over the next three hours.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SirPablo posted:

I was at US Bank stadium for the Minneapolis Miracle. It was probably the most amazing thing I've ever personally witnessed. The euphoria of those 65,000 people, after all hope was lost and the inevitable was upon us, it was unbelievable. The following week, as I sat on the couch and the NFCCG started, I began crying. My wife asks "what's wrong?" I said "I just hope they win." The Vikings score on their first drive, and I think there is hope. Then my brain melted into my rear end over the next three hours.

such a violent loss too. the eagles just bent them over and gave it to em and it didn't stop until the whistle blew

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Sataere posted:

Honestly, I'm surprised the Lions one isn't somehow sadder.

lmao we're all dead inside already

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Yeah you can't have hope violently ripped away from you if you never had reason for hope in the first place.

Those two Vikings posts are profoundly sad though and I hope they're fake.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Who's telling me to give up hope? Show yourself coward, I will never give up hope!

*buys a fine selection of cheap Whiskeys for this season*

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lmao we're all dead inside already

It's far easier to deal with always sucking than coming close and failing.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

https://twitter.com/JasonLieser/status/1161815183532142592

Very cool.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
SOUNDS LIKE SOME REAL HARD NOSE CHICAGO BEAR FOOTBAWWW

THESE NAMBY COACHES AND MILLENNIAL PLAYERS ARE TOO SOFT

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Remember when Bennett beat up a rookie? Good times

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Anyone watching the Packers tonight? The restaurant is dead so all i can do is shitpost on my phone and get snippets of the game from the bar TVs

Starters should be playing some tonight

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

SirPablo posted:

I guess one man's dream is another's nightmare. I was so loving drunk and happy by the end of that game. You know these interviews to have with fans after a team wins a championship for they say that they never gave up hope? I gave it up the second Wentz got injured and never believed in the Eagles for even one second of any of those games.

In hindsight thought I don't think the Vikings could have completed Operation Make Tom Brady Sad.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

Anyone watching the Packers tonight? The restaurant is dead so all i can do is shitpost on my phone and get snippets of the game from the bar TVs

Starters should be playing some tonight

I mean I'm gonna until the starters are pulled / Arizona starts.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/ParkerLewisJR/status/1162042340921315328

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OxySnake posted:

I mean I'm gonna until the starters are pulled / Arizona starts.

That was ugly.

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
How did Green Bay do? I missed it but Packers legend Brett Hundley is currently outplaying 1st overall pick and Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray*

*in a week 2 preseason game

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

He completed ~69% of his passes to his left with an average of 8.4 yards per attempt.

love to just compile a bunch of admittedly bad throws to try and make some larger point without the entire context.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Dexo posted:

love to just compile a bunch of admittedly bad throws to try and make some larger point without the entire context.

that's sports twitter in a nutshell tho

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Styles Bitchley posted:

How did Green Bay do? I missed it but Packers legend Brett Hundley is currently outplaying 1st overall pick and Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray*

*in a week 2 preseason game

Poorly. Rodgers didn't play, but the admittedly vanilla defense sure whiffed a lot and tackled poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

LabyaMynora posted:

Oh boy, today's "Why Your Team Sucks" is the Minnesota Vikings. I love laughing at Vikings fans!

:stonk:

:suicide:

Welcome to the nfc north.