Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

If only Smitty were here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/gunnerkrigg/status/1158375857112702976

Pretty excited for this. I have all the other comics, and the last "Coyote" one was great.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

IUG posted:

the last "Coyote" one was great.

"Hey lookit, ants" :stonklol:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I like how Cvet is in just about the same stance in the 2nd panel as the large being is in the final panel.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

imo the monster is probably eglamore

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm having a hard time following this page, actually. Did Cvet just rubberband back to Annie after forgetting she got left behind or...?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
He tried to jump/fly but didn't go anywhere.

It's showing their powers aren't working.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Movement based powers aren't working. I'm predicting an all in their heads situation where what they're seeing is just not there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It looks to me like he actually did jump and move but it didn't take him anywhere. Location is broken.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

iirc, Cvet is a lady dragon.

Definitely extensive Wisp illusion bullshit happening. I'm still suspecting that they aren't even actually split up, they just can't see each other.

(It isn't an ~it was all an illusion~ twist if the start of the chapter is "here we go, into the illusion monster's lair".)

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 7, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh now I get it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

That's a handy ability.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gross

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Is this weird Vatra bullshit too?

Did other Tom get the hand right?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIQaTXuD-sE

Bye!

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Tenebrais posted:

That's a handy ability.

I'd give it a thumbs-up.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Just realised, if this is the court's warehouse 13 then who the hell knows what else they had in there

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Reynard stop talking and give Parley a hand.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth TNT posted:

Reynard stop talking and give Parley a hand.

Rey's job is to be a commentator, not a fighter. He's Speedwagon.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Even all this time later I still disagree with Tom's assessment of Annie's selfishness. I think he did a good job of making her be so goal-oriented that she got all her friends in danger without really thinking of the consequences, but imo that kind of spoke for itself when Smitty got ganked. Annie taking responsibility by offering up her eternal soul or whatever to the Psychopomps was all the comic really needed to prod her into realizing this. To go down such an irreversible path without a second thought instead of saying "oh no smitty, oh well he knew the risks" kinda invalidates the idea of her caring about herself more than others when the chips are down.

And sure, if she hadn't asked them to do it then they wouldn't be in danger to begin with, but Jeanne's story is intertwined into all of their lives (except for the faeries I guess). It seems like Tom anticipated us feeling like Annie pressured all her friends into helping her without giving them an out, but none of them wanted an out, and if they had maybe Red's tut-tutting wouldn't have fallen so flat for me personally.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 12, 2019

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

They seem to be going inside the creature Parley is fighting with

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

CJacobs posted:

And sure, if she hadn't asked them to do it then they wouldn't be in danger to begin with, but Jeanne's story is intertwined into all of their lives (except for the faeries I guess). It seems like Tom anticipated us feeling like Annie pressured all her friends into helping her without giving them an out, but none of them wanted an out, and if they had maybe Red's tut-tutting wouldn't have fallen so flat for me personally.
The name thing is about the only poo poo Red's throwing out that actually sticks. Even then, Tom's outright saying Ayilu decided she'd prefer to go on a suicide mission and call Annie a dick for it than, say, refuse to go on a suicide mission and still get to call Annie a dick for it.

So... gently caress Red?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Red Was Right.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Red Was poo poo.
FTFY

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

maswastaken posted:

The name thing is about the only poo poo Red's throwing out that actually sticks. Even then, Tom's outright saying Ayilu decided she'd prefer to go on a suicide mission and call Annie a dick for it than, say, refuse to go on a suicide mission and still get to call Annie a dick for it.

So... gently caress Red?
Nooo, Annie bribed Ayilu and Red with something literally life changing. Afterwards Red realised how hosed up that was. Everyone else volunteered but she treated Red and Ayilu like NPCs, not people.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Splicer posted:

Nooo, Annie bribed Ayilu and Red with something literally life changing. Afterwards Red realised how hosed up that was. Everyone else volunteered but she treated Red and Ayilu like NPCs, not people.

So, she proposed Ayilu something valuable in exchange for her help in a dangerous task, making no effort to conceal that it was dangerous, and doing nothing to coerce her. I don't get the hosed up part.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Iceclaw posted:

So, she proposed Ayilu something valuable in exchange for her help in a dangerous task, making no effort to conceal that it was dangerous, and doing nothing to coerce her. I don't get the hosed up part.

I think the key is that giving a name is something that costs Annie nothing, and was super important to Ayilu. Annie easily could have given her a name without having her help out, it's not like giving her a name costs Annie anything. It's also something Annie knew Ayilu desperately wanted, and that she'd be unlikely to turn it down. It's kind of like going "oh hey, I'll give you the key to those handcuffs binding you if you do some favor for me" - giving the key costs nothing and you could very easily do it with no payment needed, but insisting on the favor first instead skews it into the realm of manipulation.

I do think Red was overly harsh, but they have a point.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Yeah, while I wouldn't call the name thing blackmail or extortion, Annie did bait Ayilu with that. Red makes it seem way worse than it actually was and I guess Red does it only because of the shocking image of Blue getting stabbed in the face. Oh yeah and the fact that Smitty got hurt and Annie didn't want him to go see the doctor. I know that really was a heat of the moment thing, but I say that was a bad call. Even if it turned out okay.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Red is right about how Annie treated the fairies but she then also projects her feelings into the other members of the group. As Kat points out in the next chapter they all agreed to do it because they wanted to and Red doesn't get to strip them of their agency.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Better dead than Red.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

Red is right about how Annie treated the fairies but she then also projects her feelings into the other members of the group. As Kat points out in the next chapter they all agreed to do it because they wanted to and Red doesn't get to strip them of their agency.

Yeah I think Tom even mentions that a few times in the video, that Red has actual legitimate grievances but is projecting them onto everyone. I hope the next one, where kat stands up for their decisions, decides to have a side bar where they show pages like this to compliment what she's saying:

Because even if Annie got laser focused as things came to a head and hoped that any danger could be undone by psychopomps, the rest of the group still got into this on their own for the past couple of years and more than knew the risks.

Also kinda hope there's a side comic later down the line of Smitty & Parley dealing with the immediate fall out. I can see why it wouldn't get focus in the comic proper but I'm sure how that whole thing shook out would be, ahhhh, something to talk about between the two of them :v:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

So things that work:

Jimmy Jims and Parley can find north
Annie and Annie and Rey can talk to each other

Things that don't work:

Cvet, who has wings, is unable to fly
Parley cannot bip
Annie and Annie cannot make fire

Seems like things that are natural to the individual are somehow blocked, while learned/new things are somehow OK.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love

pik_d posted:

So things that work:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the north finding isn't actually working right. My currently guess is that they're in some weird shared illusion/dream? But not sure.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
For what it's worth I have no idea what's going on right now, I completely forgot where they are or why they're doing this. I blame the sexy robot.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Bremma posted:

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the north finding isn't actually working right. My currently guess is that they're in some weird shared illusion/dream? But not sure.

Yeah but it appeared to work rather than just not flying/bipping/making fire like the other things. It wasn't totally nullified at least.

CJacobs posted:

For what it's worth I have no idea what's going on right now, I completely forgot where they are or why they're doing this. I blame the sexy robot.

Regy summarized it on the previous page:

Regy Rusty posted:

We do know where they are and why they're here. They're heading to the base of the tree that grew from Ysengrin's seeds. And they're using Kat's tracker to find the lost goose bone and coyote water. But once they approached the tree they discovered that it's surrounded by a wisp nest and then they all somehow got separated.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Right, thanks for the refresher.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm betting she is actually making fire but she can't see it and somewhere a part of the court is now burning.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

pik_d posted:

So things that work:

Annie and Annie and Rey can talk to each other

Things that don't work:

Cvet, who has wings, is unable to fly
Parley cannot bip
Annie and Annie cannot make fire

Seems like things that are natural to the individual are somehow blocked, while learned/new things are somehow OK.

Sounds like some Zimmy fuckery is going on.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Until the giant made a hand into another being, I assumed they became like toys or something.

• Rey looks like he's half toy with his stitches showing.
  • Cvet can't fly (I'm just picturing that commercial for Buzz Lightyear's "NOT A FLYING TOY").
  • Annie's flames don't work, much like a kid's toy wouldn't be able to do that.
  • They all appear to be tiny compared to something human looking, looking for them in the background. Like a kid who lost its toy.

I assumed this was just Loup loving with them, making them his literal playthings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

pik_d posted:

"Hey can you still make lasers?"
"Oh yeah!"
:supaburn: