Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

PRADA SLUT posted:

throw half your poo poo away

Can't argue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

Are furniture designs copyrighted? I've been wondering why people don't just copy all his poo poo since it seems like that would get sold pretty quick!

Yes. Some companies, like Emeco, are pretty active in defending their designs.

https://www.dezeen.com/2015/03/25/i...stacking-chair/

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/SJSchauer/status/1160336040189710336

This thread is full of terrors. From the looks of it, at least half of them are from post-Soviet apartment remodels which, having lived in some, are truly the wild west of interior architecture design.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Hey, when y’all leech images from Zillow, can you not leech the webp files? They don’t show up on phones.

They do on mine?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

mutata posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SJSchauer/status/1160336040189710336

This thread is full of terrors. From the looks of it, at least half of them are from post-Soviet apartment remodels which, having lived in some, are truly the wild west of interior architecture design.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Hmm. Weird house. Haha. Tree in the room, I recognize that. Doop de dooRECORD SCRATCH

https://twitter.com/cowboyenergy/status/1160336314799198208?s=21

:goofy:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

tetrapyloctomy posted:

That fridge and stove are Harvest Gold, which my mother has missed ever since we replaced the first appliances she bought for their house.

Yup, there used to be a matching dishwasher that my stepdad had painted to match! Growing up we had matching plates and bowls too.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Looks real nice but I’m curious about one detail ... why do you have one white cabinet in the bathroom when the rest are dark?

Honestly, I had the exact same question for my wife. When the cabinets got delivered I thought it got painted wrong until she corrected me. I thought it was weird at first, but I think it helps keep the bathroom from feeling too cramped. Its painted the same color as the walls, so it blends in nicely.

ntan1 posted:

That's a very good range. Do you cook a lot?

Also, was there asbestos beneath the kitchen vinyl before you remodeled?

I am not much of a cook, but my wife loves cooking and is really good at it, hence the Bluestar range and double wall ovens. She really wanted a 48" one, but there wasn't enough room for it(thankfully, the 36" was expensive enough). Luckily we were able to take advantage of a family connection to get the fridge/ovens/hood/washer/dryer at a discount(

Somehow there is only asbestos on some of the heat ducts in the basement. None in the flooring or popcorn ceiling... at least that is what our contractor said, we were out of the country during demo. I know they did testing upstairs when we did that part of the project.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Youth Decay posted:

They do on mine?

And they don't on mine. shrugging emoticon.

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

So guys, the other night I went out bar hopping as goons tend to do AND gently caress IT CUT TO THE CHASE guys art deco bar from the 40s you will have pics as soon as I'm sober.

This is quite a bender H!ATD. Stay safe, disco ghost!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Youth Decay posted:

They do on mine?

WebP is Google’s baby and it works fine on their phones and browsers.

Not so with Apple’s.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

PRADA SLUT posted:

throw half your poo poo away

You right. I'm working on it. A bunch of it is like tools and construction stuff that I need to organize.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Badger of Basra posted:

Are furniture designs copyrighted? I've been wondering why people don't just copy all his poo poo since it seems like that would get sold pretty quick!

I think Wright was an architect, if not exclusively. But on that, I'd reckon yeah.

fakedit- well he screwed around a bit, too, so maybe not exclusively an architect :downsrim:

That Works posted:

Slurry you made a really nice looking place

:hmmyes:

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Thanks for all the kind words. It was a crazy 6 months to get it all done(3 month was the contractors estimate), and I don't think I would ever do it again, but I am super happy with the outcome. We don't plan on moving anytime soon(hell, I have spent the majority of my life in this house). When I get from this work trip I will try to take more pictures of the rest of the house.

I had a contractor do this work, but I am on the hook for redoing the basement. Need to finish my office then turn the other half of the basement (that is totally open with the washer/dryer in one corner) into separate laundry room/1/2 bath, tv room/guest room and a big storage/utility area. The next project is building a dadu in the backyard that we have the permits/plans for, just have to find the time/money to build it....

It's rather odd to have my daughter grow up in the same bedroom I shared with my 2 older brothers. It's the same house, but completely different. I am just happy we made all these changes now.

Oyea, any recommendations for a not awful looking dog crate for my living room? Doesn't need to be big(I have a 10 year old wiener dog), but all the options I found are not great.

slurry_curry fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Aug 12, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
They make lots of combo dog crate/end table things if that floats your boat. Like the ones on this page:

https://www.wayfair.com/Archie-and-...pEaAsxvEALw_wcB

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Mr. Mambold posted:

I think Wright was an architect, if not exclusively. But on that, I'd reckon yeah.

fakedit- well he screwed around a bit, too, so maybe not exclusively an architect :downsrim:

:hmmyes:

I toured a Usonian Wright house and he designed most of the furniture in it. He also required the homeowners to consult him on things like curtains to make sure they agreed with his vision. God, can you imagine?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I toured a Usonian Wright house and he designed most of the furniture in it. He also required the homeowners to consult him on things like curtains to make sure they agreed with his vision. God, can you imagine?

intensely curious about the social dynamics of the people who live in this neighborhood

https://www.curbed.com/2017/6/8/15742344/usonia-community-new-york-homes-roland-reisley

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I wonder if there's a pipe under that toilet or if it empties straight into the abyss.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

When I toured Falling Water, the tour guide told a story about Wright not allowing the family who owned the house to install window screens - in a house in western pennsylvania, built before air conditioning was common, used only during the summer, and built over a creek.

The story goes that Wright reversed his decision after a visit to the house where the family had him sleep overnight in a room that had all its windows open.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I wonder if there's a pipe under that toilet or if it empties straight into the abyss bathtub.

Or whatever that is on the right, looks like bathtub fixtures, but at counter height? Who knows. Dog washing basin.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Or whatever that is on the right, looks like bathtub fixtures, but at counter height? Who knows. Dog washing basin.

Judging by the chair, I think it's a barber sink for washing hair.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hah! A genius who's an rear end in a top hat. Well, I nevah....there are and probably always have been designers with a Wrightian sense of godlike authority. This thread should also mock them imo.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Weembles posted:

When I toured Falling Water, the tour guide told a story about Wright not allowing the family who owned the house to install window screens - in a house in western pennsylvania, built before air conditioning was common, used only during the summer, and built over a creek.

The story goes that Wright reversed his decision after a visit to the house where the family had him sleep overnight in a room that had all its windows open.

the contractor on the plan also looked at wright's design and was like "this loving thing is going to fall into the creek" so he secretly upped the amount of reinforcement on the foundation and the thing is still about ready to fall into the creek

Mr. Mambold posted:

Hah! A genius who's an rear end in a top hat. Well, I nevah....there are and probably always have been designers with a Wrightian sense of godlike authority. This thread should also mock them imo.

"hey boss, the plans call for stonework but we're already over budget..."

"figure out it, you're a bright kid"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If Wright's engineer hadn't arbitrarily doubled all the reinforcements in Fallingwater the whole thing would've collapsed into the river.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

I've always wanted to live in the lobby of a visitor's centre.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If Wright's engineer hadn't arbitrarily doubled all the reinforcements in Fallingwater the whole thing would've collapsed into the river.

Thus foiling Wright's plan to have Fallingwater fall into the water.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

PRADA SLUT posted:

the problem with mcm architecture is that 80% of it is just trying to be frank lloyd wright but without design aesthetic or talent
Keck and Keck in Chicago was pretty good: https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago-Heights/240-Country-Club-Rd-60411/home/12836870 (yours for only 325k!)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The gently caress, that thing's beautiful.

Is it that cheap because Chicago is a failed city or something

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Didn't his own place burn down twice? I mean, it's kind of a theme with the guy. *Assumes Buddha posture, oh look, life is impermanent hahaha!

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

FilthyImp posted:

From that area of the burbs, white flight, mostly. Then falling property values -> increased property taxes. Though the taxes on that one actually aren't bad. I'm a bit surprised at how low the taxes are.

Beautiful housing stock in that area and a very nice country club (Olympia Fields) with basically zero initiation fees.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A lot of MCM houses are real money pits too depending how well they've been kept up. That wasn't always a great era for build quality and the jury was still out on this idea of "insulation". I mean who will really need insulation or windows that don't leak in our atomic future of limitless cheap energy?

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

It’s because Chicago Heights is a crime-infested town. Wouldn’t be surprised if that house gets broken into a few times a year.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

FilthyImp posted:

many MCM homes were built for middle class white folks when the 20th century suburban boom was fully raging (white flight) so many of them are still reasonably priced, since they are basically just very stylish tract homes a dozen or more miles away from city centers

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

The whole tour is full of details like that, from how much money the conservancy has spent fixing the cantilevers to the vessel that Wright designed to make mulled wine that radiated heat faster than it absorbed it from the fireplace it was set into.

That said, the house is incredible. Wright couldn't stop spitting in the face of the laws of physics but he understood how to create spaces that made you just want to be in them. You leave the tour both knowing what a money pit it is and also really wanting to own it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

luxury handset posted:

the contractor on the plan also looked at wright's design and was like "this loving thing is going to fall into the creek" so he secretly upped the amount of reinforcement on the foundation and the thing is still about ready to fall into the creek

"hey boss, the plans call for stonework but we're already over budget..."

"figure out it, you're a bright kid"

What a fuckin' ace piece of land to decide to take such a huge dump on.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

gvibes posted:

Keck and Keck in Chicago was pretty good: https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago-Heights/240-Country-Club-Rd-60411/home/12836870 (yours for only 325k!)

I love this a lot, but flat roofs seem like money pits and I imagine this wood paneling would be destroyed if you ever decide to take a shower or use hot water.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Those roofs aren't flat.

Also tiling that shower correctly isn't hard.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

MetaJew posted:

I love this a lot, but flat roofs seem like money pits and I imagine this wood paneling would be destroyed if you ever decide to take a shower or use hot water.

The house was built in 1952 and I assume its had at least one owner who bathed.

They probably just used spar varnish or some other water resistant finish and kept up with maintenance.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

What's with the circle on the roof? Way too small and a lack of access for a helicopter pad but I don't know what else you'd draw a giant white circle for.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Baronjutter posted:

What's with the circle on the roof? Way too small and a lack of access for a helicopter pad but I don't know what else you'd draw a giant white circle for.

A very aggressive sumo ring

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

If that person ever gets into an accident it will be like a claymore mine going off.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

I dunno man, it sure looks like a helipad to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!