Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
this has even worse replies than his usual tweets

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1160988572238979073?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've not heard that explanation, but the rather more sensible one that a) even well-trained sniffer dogs give false-positives all the time, b) they're actually trained to find bodies in an advanced state of decomposition and c) that the body - if it had been in there at all - would have been fresh and only in there for a short amount of time, so it would have been extremely unlikely there'd have been any scent for them to detect.
I'm sure you could train a dog to sniff that godawful sweet acetone and candy floss smell of fresh death, but idk if that's what corpse dogs are trained for.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I'm sure you could train a dog to sniff that godawful sweet acetone and candy floss smell of fresh death, but idk if that's what corpse dogs are trained for.

Nah, they're for recovering buried bodies. Just to correct my earlier post though, I got confused about where they used the corpse dog (it was on the rental car the McCanns were using considerably *after* the disappearance) so it's possible there would have been a scent for it to hit on, but even that's not a guarantee of anything because like I say they give false-positives all the time which is why they don't just throw you straight in jail when the dog at the airport takes an interest in your luggage.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've not heard that explanation, but the rather more sensible one that a) even well-trained sniffer dogs give false-positives all the time, b) they're actually trained to find bodies in an advanced state of decomposition and c) that the body - if it had been in there at all - would have been fresh and only in there for a short amount of time, so it would have been extremely unlikely there'd have been any scent for them to detect.

it's fishy (or corpsey). Sniffer dogs find traces of corpse behind the sofa, in the wardrobe, on Kate's clothes (but it could have been because she worked as a doctor, according to "a source close to the McCanns"), in the McCann's car (ed: 2 different dogs on consecutive days); DNA samples from the car show what might be Madeleine's DNA but also might not be because it's a low-resolution test. Not exactly enough to convict on, though

ed2: also I remember disliking the parents on the news, thinking their body language was all kinds of hosed up, so I'm definitely biased

This is my one non-Epstein conspiracy theory, please don't take it from me :v:

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 12, 2019

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

baka kaba posted:

Recognising where you are is an important step though! That's the thing about this stuff, it clouds your perceptions, and being able to see that is what gives you the ability to do something about it. So yeah don't be ashamed of seeing this or having a strong emotional reaction to it

Yeah I'm sure as gently caress having a strong reaction to it. I've got to hold things together for a little bit as it is my brothers wedding this weekend, but I am going to see if I can get a few days off work to just really give myself some time to start changing things.

OwlFancier posted:

That some people get rewarded a lot more than others has very little bearing on their actual contribution to society. In fact I would suggest that what relation it does have tracks inversely. The more wealthy you are, the more you are taking away from everyone else, on average.

You're a good egg Josef, and I hope one day you can feel like one.

It's more that I have a loving family, a good home life and everything before me and I've just never appreciated it. Now I feel as if I should have done more with what I am. Been more and done more, had something Anything as a goal.

Same, but we'll wait and see on that.

thespaceinvader posted:

FWIW this is very similar to what my brain is currently doing and it sucks and it's hard to see where 'out' is.

Let's both find it?

I hope we both do. Keep safe pal.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jose posted:

this has even worse replies than his usual tweets

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1160988572238979073?s=20

Christ he looks like if Colonal Sanders and Yosemite Sam had their DNA spliced with a particularly empty serial killer.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gonzo McFee posted:

Christ he looks like if Colonal Sanders and Yosemite Sam had their DNA spliced with a particularly empty serial killer.

the chickenhawk's holocaust

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Josef bugman posted:

Yeah I'm sure as gently caress having a strong reaction to it. I've got to hold things together for a little bit as it is my brothers wedding this weekend, but I am going to see if I can get a few days off work to just really give myself some time to start changing things.

I feel like the reaction is sort of a recognition, right? Like something important's clicked, which isn't to say things are easier, but it gives you a path forward at least. it's like going from "it's dark" to "hey I'm a goon in a well!"

and understanding why you feel the way you do gives you an explanation for things - like it's not your fault if you don't "appreciate" your life, because you've got these complications to deal with. and if it's stuff you've never been aware of, then it's basically been a filter on your life that alters your perception of everything to make it harder to appreciate. like that joke, y'know, fish 1: how's the water today, fish 2: what's water? You can't beat yourself up over something that isn't your fault, all you can do is go forward dismantling that filter and making the best of everything, which is totally the Josef brand

but yeah, look after yourself buddy - get the uh niece/nephew (the lego fan) on the dancefloor, always a big hit at weddings!

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 12, 2019

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

saw this doc on BBC4 and thought it’d be appreciated by this thread. for the crossing streams of politics & culture

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000777d/everybody-in-the-place-an-incomplete-history-of-britain-19841992

quote:

Acid house is often portrayed as a movement that came out of the blue, inspired by little more than a handful of London-based DJs discovering ecstasy on a 1987 holiday to Ibiza. In truth, the explosion of acid house and rave in the UK was a reaction to a much wider and deeper set of fault lines in British culture, stretching from the heart of the city to the furthest reaches of the countryside, cutting across previously impregnable boundaries of class, identity and geography.

With Everybody in the Place, the Turner Prize-winning artist Jeremy Deller upturns popular notions of rave and acid house, situating them at the very centre of the seismic social changes that reshaped 1980s Britain. Rare and unseen archive materials map the journey from protest movements to abandoned warehouse raves, the white heat of industry bleeding into the chaotic release of the dancefloor.

We join an A-level politics class as they discover these stories for the first time, viewing the story of acid house from the perspective of a generation for whom it is already ancient history. We see how rave culture owes as much to the Battle of Orgreave and the underground gay clubs of Chicago as it does to shifts in musical style: not merely a cultural gesture, but the fulcrum for a generational shift in British identity, linking industrial histories and radical action to the wider expanses of a post-industrial future.

they’ve done a bang up job finding their archive footage.
I wish it’d had been part one of a series, as it frustratingly just touches on the surface of a lot and he doesn’t get a chance to really delve in.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ah good to see acid house getting the punk rock treatment of hagiography from old talking heads on BBC4 about how it changed everything despite it being niche at the time

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

forkboy84 posted:

Ah good to see acid house getting the punk rock treatment of hagiography from old talking heads on BBC4 about how it changed everything despite it being niche at the time

this, but unironically.

the phrase “more punk than punk rock ever was” may crop up halfway through the lesson

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Josef bugman posted:

I should have done more with what I am. Been more and done more, had something Anything as a goal.

Lol yeah I absolutely should. But at the same time so what? Its all done now anyway. Now on, one step at a time, theres plenty left.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

CGI Stardust posted:

the thing that really fucks me up is that the corpse-sniffing dogs found corpse traces in the car her parents had hired

CGI Stardust posted:

Sniffer dogs find traces of corpse behind the sofa, in the wardrobe, on Kate's clothes

I don't want the thread to have two tedious back and forths about maybe murders (and I know next to bugger all about the details of either case so I'm in no position to do that even if I did), but this kind of verbal slippage to certainty is legit fascinating to me. Just to be really, really clear, a sniffer dog indicating something is not the same thing as discovering traces of whatever they're trained to find. Which I get is cumbersome to mention and so on (and most people here probably realise it anyway), but that rhetorical staking out of certainty where none exists is problematic.

I dunno, I just thought it echoed some of the things people have been posting about epstein, where certainty about events seems to come pretty easily. Maybe it's just super pedantic, but there's a difference between highlighting all the poo poo that could be dodgy and questioning official narrative, and saying he was murdered and you're an idiot if you don't believe that. One is much more interesting (and useful) than the other I think

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

No one's here to be useful, pal. forums.somethinguseful.com

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Niric posted:

I don't want the thread to have two tedious back and forths about maybe murders (and I know next to bugger all about the details of either case so I'm in no position to do that even if I did), but this kind of verbal slippage to certainty is legit fascinating to me. Just to be really, really clear, a sniffer dog indicating something is not the same thing as discovering traces of whatever they're trained to find. Which I get is cumbersome to mention and so on (and most people here probably realise it anyway), but that rhetorical staking out of certainty where none exists is problematic.

I dunno, I just thought it echoed some of the things people have been posting about epstein, where certainty about events seems to come pretty easily. Maybe it's just super pedantic, but there's a difference between highlighting all the poo poo that could be dodgy and questioning official narrative, and saying he was murdered and you're an idiot if you don't believe that. One is much more interesting (and useful) than the other I think

yeah, absolutely, it's a fair point and rationally i am well aware of this! having said that, "rhetorical staking out of certainty where none exists" is conspiracy theories; it wouldn't be a conspiracy theory if it were already proven and hence no fun. we're never going to know the actual answer to what happened, it's an article of faith in an era where faith is increasingly difficult to come by :emo:

wait, sorry, that's the David Kelly emoticon, my bad

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

Niric posted:

but its important to remember that this only applies to people saying he was definitely murdered, all the people and media outlets saying it was definitely suicide are just being Sensible

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

No one's here to be useful, pal. forums.somethinguseful.com

tbf you're literally the worst person to make this post

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

It's more that I have a loving family, a good home life and everything before me and I've just never appreciated it. Now I feel as if I should have done more with what I am. Been more and done more, had something Anything as a goal.

Same here. Thing is I don't think i'd be here if I didn't have a loving family which I was able to use as an anchor while my brain broke in my late teens and throughout my twenties. I've certainly not helped. I've wallowed for far too long but mental illness isn't easy.

But yeah, without the help i've received i'd be homeless and most likely dead. So that's one thing I don't really feel guilty about.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Unbelievable. Its fortunate I'm a proven super intellect and incredible sexyes otherwise I might start to worry about my reputation.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

centrist/piss diamond/FBPE types' increasingly overt glibness wrt fascism, authoritarianism, anti-democratic wish fulfilment is creeping me out more and more ngl

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

gh0stpinballa posted:

centrist/piss diamond/FBPE types' increasingly overt glibness wrt fascism, authoritarianism, anti-democratic wish fulfilment is creeping me out more and more ngl

Reminder that they did some polling fairly recently and the left is most supportive of democracy in principle, the right is second-most supportive, and in a very VERY distant third is centrists, who are by far the most ready to say "Nah yeah actually a strongman would be great" and presumably go try to figure out how to make France Sweetman the Lady Protector or something.

My own pet theory is that it stems from the ideological underpinnings of various political movements and the explanations derived, to show why people vote for the other side. On the left, we have abundant theories to explain why people who would benefit from a left-wing government might never vote for one, to do with media, socialization, false consciousness, and so on. On the right, they have abundant theories to explain why people don't always vote for a right-wing government, whether those explanations are because 'greedy scroungers' or 'foreigners taking advantage' or 'cultural marxism'; the explanations might be both bad and incorrect, but they do exist. The point of these is that it always leaves open the theoretical possibility for convincing people you're right and they should vote for you, because you can identify why they don't and thus propose remedies.

The center, however, has nothing of the sort. They assume themselves to be the post-history post-politics Very Sensible Grown Ups, and they fundamentally do not have any significant explanations for people voting 'wrong', whether that's wanting Chairman McDonnell to purge the landlords or voting for populist things like Trump and Brexit. They can't see how shite things have been for a lot of people so they can't even get as far as saying "Things are bad and it drives people to unsensible extremes" because as far as they can tell everything was perfect in 2012 and everyone's just gone mad since. No explanations for why people vote wrong = no hope of making them vote 'right' = well gently caress it what good is democracy then?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
The only good things from 2012 were the new albums Vanitas by Anaal Nathrakh and L'Enfant Sauvage by Gojira which both signified a strong left-turn in the politics of modern metal heads.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ms Adequate posted:

The center, however, has nothing of the sort.

Yeah this nails it. This is why the 'remoaners' have the narrative of "people who voted for Brexit are idiots, if we re-rerun the referendum they'll vote the right way", without any actual useful insight into any of the underlying social issues which made people want to vote for what was essentially the "gently caress all this poo poo" option.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

People adapt to their circumstances, and you aren't born with the ability to be happy either. What you are isn't just the good circumstances around you, it's also the circumstances that make you unhappy regardless. It's good to be happy if you can but not managing it I don't think is, or should be, a cause for beating yourself up. Again you live in a world that is designed to gently caress you up so that you fill the space with consumption, it's not your fault that it works.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah this nails it. This is why the 'remoaners' have the narrative of "people who voted for Brexit are idiots, if we re-rerun the referendum they'll vote the right way", without any actual useful insight into any of the underlying social issues which made people want to vote for what was essentially the "gently caress all this poo poo" option.

Here's a long (and unduely sympathetic) article about the FBPE'rs:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/13/brexit-remain-radicalisation-fbpe-peoples-vote

quote:

Remainists tend to put their faith not in politicians, but in bureaucrats and civil servants. But they make an exception for those MPs, such as Dominic Grieve or Yvette Cooper (even though she doesn’t back a second referendum), who are willing to rebel against the party leadership or reach out to the opposite benches. Remainists wish these kinds of “grownups” – seemingly responsible, competent people, capable of putting the national interest above ambition and petty rivalries – could clean up the mess. This is a vision, however fanciful, of politics without politicking. Once the grownups come to the rescue, it suggests, the rest of us can retreat, safe in the knowledge that everything is under control.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lol at Regarde Aduck getting banned for defending a racism

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

E; ^^^ double lmao that he did it in trad games and not like, here

It was a little gentle on them but honestly I would have expected far worse from the Graun, this is certainly short of the outright hagiography I would usually expect them to put out. I felt it painted them as fairly quixotic, but it at least gave a mention to leftist criticism of fubpees as ignoring other issues. And it mentioned that they're mad at Corbyn, but it didn't make it a focus or join in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Reminder that they did some polling fairly recently and the left is most supportive of democracy in principle, the right is second-most supportive, and in a very VERY distant third is centrists, who are by far the most ready to say "Nah yeah actually a strongman would be great" and presumably go try to figure out how to make France Sweetman the Lady Protector or something.
I support democracy in principle, but always get stuck in a loop of 'but at what level?' Is it best at the municipal or state level? Is there such a thing as a demos and is it necessarily tied to the idea of the nation and nationalism? Is democracy good for minority rights because each can form their own interior demos, or appalling for minority rights because 50%+1 of people can strip everything? And where do experts fit in? Even Bakunin said "In the matter of boots, I refer to the authority of the bootmaker", so should an expert be able to overturn a majority, or should it require a supermajority to overturn an expert, and who decides that?

It's questions like that which make it understandable (but wrongheaded) why centrists of old might look at the huddled masses yearning to breathe free but also being a bit volkish and say "this is scary, what if we just went back to kings", or the centrists of less old saying "this is scary, what if we just let the market sort it out."

Rarity posted:

Lol at Regarde Aduck getting banned for defending a racism
:staredog:

What the hell prompted that? Other than, like, racism.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Was it really defending racism? Looks more like he was going for a "punch a nazi" joke. Or possibly a bad taste "nazis punch people" one.

Based on the fact that he had antifascist posts in that same thread.

e: Anyway apparently some gaming companies refuse to process payments from people with "asian-sounding names", which yes, is racist as gently caress, but it was really ancillary to that.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 13, 2019

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I found it quiet damming of them, haveing read it with my ukmt glasses on.

It highlights, in their own words, what others have said here that the troubles of others mean nought to them, only that they will be slightly inconvenienced by brexit. The utterly lack a positive vision of Europe for leavers to buy into. The only person who has managed that is majid majid, but his face doesn't fit into the fbpe crowd.

I don't like using the phrase sheep but that is what they are, sheep waiting to be herded.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/francesweetman/status/1160984614053326849?s=19

:shepface:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Thanks, bomb. Thomb.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Everyone always ignores the Russian winter

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rarity posted:

Everyone always ignores the Russian winter

The unsung hero of so many wars.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/UniteunionNI/status/1160900428554539013?s=19

Not sure if they would win a seat but will definately make Belfast East a lot more competitive come next election, the DUP have largely fumbled the ground game on this and Alliance increases at the last locals already made this seat a bit more interesting

Not sure how many votes they will away in North Belfast which remains a knife edge SF/DUP battleground where "keep themmuns out" remains the strongest campaigning issue

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The bouncing bomb didn't invent itself.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

How do people continually fall for such obvious trolls?

(Post applies equally to OP and Tweetman at this point)

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

notaspy posted:

I don't like using the phrase sheep but that is what they are, sheep waiting to be herded.

Fubpees operate like a cult does- they drown each other in support and love but any deviation from the faith (corbyn bad, all things were fine under neoliberalism, thou shalt not bear witness to any political activity but brexit) leads to immediate shunning.

Bit like what we do with monster munch but with politics (or rather, lack thereof)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Private Speech posted:

e: Anyway apparently some gaming companies refuse to process payments from people with "asian-sounding names", which yes, is racist as gently caress, but it was really ancillary to that.

I mean, specifically, Eve Online which is dominated by our offspring Goonswarm and some of us itt have played in the past. And yes, Chinese gold farmers were definitely a thing back in the way, though that wasnt credit card fraud so much as botting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Junior G-man posted:

Today's trip: from Monmouth to Pandy(ish). Left the Wye behind for a stupidly pretty walk through the Welsh hills and farmland. Your access right are amazing and you should cherish them always.

In England and Wales at least, we've only had them for like 10 years.