Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I see it as something that would inevitably have to eventually happen, whatever the actual reason why they decided to do it now.

More models every gen and their gradually growing fidelity becomes unsustainable at some point even when your product prints money. Scaling production isn't just a question of budget.

That only makes sense if they remade the models every single game, which is frankly real stupid

Nanigans posted:

The amount of content in the 3DS games was 100% worth more than they charged.

Yet it felt like there was space for far more, specially in X/Y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Nanigans posted:

I can’t say that I personally agree with that, but I do understand your perspective on it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Nanigans posted:

use "I" statements

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
"I" am 100% worth more than they charged

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

agreed

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Takoluka posted:

The 3DS games were worth $60, and they sold it to you at a loss because charging more than $39.99 MSRP for a 3DS game would have caused a riot.

ATLUS account detected.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

BlazetheInferno posted:

A combination of this, and not knowing what features will be included in Home. People are upset that, once they transfer a Mon over to Home, it will basically be stuck in Limbo until a new game releases that includes them, because while you can import Pokemon into Home, at the time of its release Sword/Shield will be the only place you can move them OUT of Home to. You won't be able to send them backwards back to Bank or US/UM or whatever. So people are concerned about a) the number of pokemon being exluded and b) having literally nothing to do with mons they put in Home that aren't in Sw/Sh.

I haven't actually thought about this yet, but I guess I'm going to have to curate my collection and only transfer select Pokemon into Home, if that's possible. I don't want to leave any of my favourite 'mons in limbo, so I'll have to pick out only the ones that will appear in SwSh. Will have to do that with my friend's Pokemon too, since I've been hanging on to them for years now.

Does the list of Pokemon from older games on Serebii's Galar Dex have a basis? I saw there was a big list from every gen, but I haven't seen confirmation of Pokemon beyond the first gen. Granted, I've been avoiding news in order to remain unspoiled on new Pokemon.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Psycho Knight posted:

Does the list of Pokemon from older games on Serebii's Galar Dex have a basis? I saw there was a big list from every gen, but I haven't seen confirmation of Pokemon beyond the first gen. Granted, I've been avoiding news in order to remain unspoiled on new Pokemon.

It's a list of all the pokemon that have been shown in the trailers, plus their evolutionary lines

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

less laughter posted:

And LGPE was the opposite so it evens out

Hard agree. LGPE was a very pretty turd.

indigi posted:

use "I" statements

Nah. Anything subjective can be assumed to be prefaced by an “I think.” It’s unnecessary. Like this post. :v:

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

Licarn posted:

It's a list of all the pokemon that have been shown in the trailers, plus their evolutionary lines

Good to know, thanks. If that's the case, then I can at least count on my Shiny Gardevoir, Shiny Ninetails, and my Flygon making the journey. I was hoping my Skarmory would make it, but it seems like Galar has a replacement for him. My friend's Rapidash and Milotic will make it as well. That still leaves about half of our legacy teams up in the air though.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nanigans posted:

Nah. Anything subjective can be assumed to be prefaced by an “I think.” It’s unnecessary. Like this post. :v:

Except you were using it as an argument for why people you disagree with are entitled

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Nanigans posted:

you're entitled to your wrong opinion

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
At the end of the day, I just play the single player and enjoy the games for casual fun. Maybe 10 years ago I might have cared that a string of 0s and 1s I spent a long time leveling up was “trapped,” but I just don’t have it in me to care that much anymore about that particular aspect. It was surprising to see so many people who did, which is endearing in a way. But it’s the aspect where people get nasty and angry and claim that Game Freak is doing this out of anything but sheer necessity that bothers me and screams of entitlement.

Like, yes, these games cost money, but even a casual playthrough of just the story mode is gonna run you 20-30 hours, let alone if you do the post game stuff. At 20 hours and $60 for the game, that’s $3 an hour. I can live with that, especially when those 20 hours are as well crafted and fun as the mainline Pokémon games always are. When there’s so much else to enjoy and appreciate, the fact that this vocal sect of the fanbase chooses to ignore it and focus on one negative aspect bothers me. As someone who doesn’t have a creative bone in their body, I admire the people who can create awesome stuff and get defensive when I feel they’re being unfairly harshly criticized, which is exactly what I feel is happening here.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

nobody was criticizing anyone until you brought it up and asked why people were upset with Dexit. calm down

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’m...not upset? I was just giving my opinion. I also wasn’t calling your post unnecessary up there, fyi. I was talking about my own. As a joke. :v:

You seem to be the one upset and dictating how people should post.

Anyway, I’m gonna go back to posting when I see cool stuff like a gas bag with mutton chops or Gene Simmons dressed as a badger.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Speaking of badgers cosplaying as Gene Simmons, I wonder how its going to evolve. I'm kind of hoping that its something simple like a Dusk stone or Happiness.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zuzie posted:

Speaking of badgers cosplaying as Gene Simmons, I wonder how its going to evolve. I'm kind of hoping that its something simple like a Dusk stone or Happiness.

It'll be the first Pokemon to evolve by Unhappiness, making it incredibly annoying to evolve.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Meowth's Galaran evolution is based off Peter Criss.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm one of those people that's of the opinion that "Dexit", as it's being called, was something that was inevitable. It was going to happen eventually, and it didn't matter when it happened, there was always going to be a shitstorm over it, there was literally no situation they could have done this in which there was no negative backlash. It's just bad timing that they did it while we don't know enough about Home yet to offer any comfort that might eventually be able to provide.

Personally, I'm just patiently waiting for more info on Home. It's not coming out until a while after Sw/Sh anyway.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Game Freak employees who were celebrating finally being free of Purugly are gonna be pissed when it comes time for a return to Sinnoh.

Funky Valentine fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 13, 2019

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Funky Valentine posted:

The Game Freak employers who were celebrating finally being free of Purugly are gonna be pissed when it comes time for a return to Sinnoh.

I vote they skip Platinum and do a BW remake instead, maybe with some gen IV favorites sprinkled in.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Funky Valentine posted:

The Game Freak employees who were celebrating finally being free of Purugly are gonna be pissed when it comes time for a return to Sinnoh.

I'm actually thinking that not including every Pokémon in a game actually frees them from doing remakes. Originally, the main purpose of remakes is to give access a chunk of Pokémon that can be traded to your other set of games. Now that that's not possible since well, Pokémon outside of Galar's regional dex aren't being included in the game's coding, there's no need to make a remake. They can only focus on making new stuff.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zuzie posted:

I'm actually thinking that not including every Pokémon in a game actually frees them from doing remakes. Originally, the main purpose of remakes is to give access a chunk of Pokémon that can be traded to your other set of games. Now that that's not possible since well, Pokémon outside of Galar's regional dex aren't being included in the game's coding, there's no need to make a remake. They can only focus on making new stuff.

There's more than one reason to do remakes

it's less time for about as much money

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rinkles posted:

I vote they skip Platinum and do a BW remake instead, maybe with some gen IV favorites sprinkled in.

Nothing sounds as unpleasant as a BW remake.

Battles would lose all their speed. We get the new EXP Share instead of the old one the game's balanced around. 3D Graphics instead of the nicest pixel art in the series. Rivals healing your pokemon before battle instead of often catching you by surprise. The 3 musketeer dogs get some post-game story instead of being a super missable side-story that compliments N's journey.

This isn't exactly a dig against modern pokemon stuff, but BW to XY was a sharp turn in the series, and I feel that putting BW into the current mold would just make it lose a ton of its charm.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Battles would lose all their speed.

sorry, don't follow the games that closely, what do you mean? are 3d battles that much slower even with animations off?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Onix is getting a new Galarian evolution. It's called Steelix Harris and it becomes flying/metal.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Rivals healing your pokemon before battle instead of often catching you by surprise.
I understand why people who do Nuzlocke runs or want a more challenging game experience want this but I hope they realize how awful it is in-universe and why the modern system makes more sense for the Pokemon world.

New System: Let's have a fair battle with both of our teams at full strength so we can determine who is the better trainer.

Old System: You're tired from walking through a cave and your companions are visibly wounded, I think now is a good time to challenge you to a fight with my perfectly fine team. I am in no way a loving monster.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rinkles posted:

sorry, don't follow the games that closely, what do you mean? are 3d battles that much slower even with animations off?

Yeah. Pokemon has had an issue on and off about battles taking too much time. Gen 5 nailed the speed of battle. Though even the 3D games aren't as bad as DP.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

d3lness posted:

Onix is getting a new Galarian evolution. It's called Steelix Harris and it becomes flying/metal.

Steelix Harris, Dave Murkrow, Quilladin Smith, Bruxish Dickinson, Treecko McBrain, Yanma Gers.

Steel-type Maiden?

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Diet Poison posted:

Steelix Harris, Dave Murkrow, Quilladin Smith, Bruxish Dickinson, Treecko McBrain, Yanma Gers.

Steel-type Maiden?

:hmmyes:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Yeah. Pokemon has had an issue on and off about battles taking too much time. Gen 5 nailed the speed of battle. Though even the 3D games aren't as bad as DP.

wonder if that's partly why, relatively speaking, i remember diamond as a bit of a bore. also kinda bland.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I understand why people who do Nuzlocke runs or want a more challenging game experience want this but I hope they realize how awful it is in-universe and why the modern system makes more sense for the Pokemon world.

New System: Let's have a fair battle with both of our teams at full strength so we can determine who is the better trainer.

Old System: You're tired from walking through a cave and your companions are visibly wounded, I think now is a good time to challenge you to a fight with my perfectly fine team. I am in no way a loving monster.

The rival should be a loving monster tho. And almost none else does this, like healing you up in gyms would make sense but there you have to take care of it yourself.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Avalerion posted:

The rival should be a loving monster tho.

Why?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Because he's the bad guy and you should want to beat him, instead of feeling like kicking a puppy when you dunk on them like in the later gens.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

Avalerion posted:

The rival should be a loving monster tho. And almost none else does this, like healing you up in gyms would make sense but there you have to take care of it yourself.

A Gym is somewhere you specifically walk into to battle it, a rival ambushing you without a chance to heal and sending you back to before a long route or cave is something that can put a child off the game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Avalerion posted:

Because he's the bad guy and you should want to beat him, instead of feeling like kicking a puppy when you dunk on them like in the later gens.

It's always been like that, Blue and Silver had terrible teams, Barry is the only one that really falls under surprise rival, being pretty cocky, having a good team, and popping out of nowhere at ramming speed.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Nice rivals suck

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

1st Stage Midboss posted:

A Gym is somewhere you specifically walk into to battle it, a rival ambushing you without a chance to heal and sending you back to before a long route or cave is something that can put a child off the game.

This 100%. First and foremost, this is a game for kids. Making sure they are having fun should always be the first priority. Having to make your way through route 420 should a second time shouldn't be a thing because Rival McDouchenozzle kicked you when you were down. That's like cooking a fancy meal well and having somebody slap it off the table. You made the meal successfully. You met and beat the challenge. They shouldn't take that away from you right before you get to enjoy the rewards. If you want that go play SMT and get smirked to death. Difficulty is fine, but make sure it leaves the player with a sense of "I can do better" instead of surprise and frustration.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Like I wouldn't be opposed if you just auto healed after every battle, or had a Lillie tag along to heal you up, it's not a difficulty thing, it's just weird when the rival himself does it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

It's always been like that, Blue and Silver had terrible teams, Barry is the only one that really falls under surprise rival, being pretty cocky, having a good team, and popping out of nowhere at ramming speed.

Brendan/May have a couple good and rude sudden encounters.